Kids are safe back home-but parents too fearful for Ranch stay..IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo

Kids are safe back home-but parents too fearful for Ranch stay..IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo

I was stunned that parents from Piedras decided in a meeting it was to unsafe for their children to stay at the church ranch between acuna and zaragosa.  Because never before have I seen such fear among the citizens of Coahuila.  At the same time a small increase of Americans tourists have returned to PN and Acuna.  But Mexicans have fear, too many huge drug and weapon seizures, not too mention the narco tank and all the dead.  The government heads followed the buses back to Saltillo, the coahuila chief of special ed texted me every hour so I would not worry.  We sent subway sandwhiches and drinks so they would not have to stop.  They did write on the buses to indentify them as disabled kids.  Everyone and everything we do is carefully thought out.  Such is life in a border state of Mexico.

The Prom was amazing!  and the breakfast the following day.  almost two hundred kids from Coahuila attended.  I would love to come out of the closet and include a couple of press articles, but until that day I will post one pic from a Coahuila paper showing some of the Acuna kids holding a sign for me.    and also a couple other pics my staff took.  here is one paragraph I liked from  one of the papers....translated to english . On left is a downs syndrome student sourrounded by prep school student volunteers...thinking she is all that.  and at bottom pics of a couple buses from PN and the sign on front was how the saltillo buses looked, Acuna has their own buses so did not decorate, but this was to signify that disabled children were aboard.  The downs syndrome girl that is sounded by volunteers was elected dance champ, 60 students volunteered for the event, they help with each project we do, we have a volunteer base of over 300 people that help at the drop of a hat.

from a press article:

"But without a doubt what most caught the attention of those present was the photo taken the formally dressed students, who showed the lens their best pose and their best smile, that each and every one of them knows that they are special, not only for his family but for society in general, those who have shown that disability can be a  mental matter and it is the mind that prevents you from continuing even when struggling to realize their dreams."

" Thanks to  "Grandmother Chivis" the students had their own "dream of dancing under the stars", organized by the XXXXXX Foundation"

I am having a function in Coahuila for disabled teens from 5 schools around Coahuila, next Friday.  I am busing them in, travelling from the border to as far south as Saltillo (apx 5 hrs).  I was only concerned about night travel to Saltillo so I arranged for hotel rooms for those 60.  We decided to make the time early as possible so it would not be too late for return travel.

But...I have rec emails of concern as the road out of PN towards and beyond Acuna they say has had violence.  Buses are vulnerable.  The church has offered their ranch for lodging, but that in its self scares me a little.  There would be buses parked outside, a signal lots of people inside.  I would die if anything happened to my kids.  There are 125 that would be staying there and 25 teachers, directors and parents at the ranch.  the other children are from close by and would be bused home at 7PM.

Anyone have some info or thoughts?

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

Capjim

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

Is this your attempt at being funny?  Pitiful to joke around or behave immaturely when I am asking for information that effects hundreds of children..

 Learn to read.  I said anything but. I said the violence was in the border states.  Coahuila is a border state.  It has violence..  WHAT i did state is that Mexico is safe in 2/3 the country.  Go back and read slowly.  I stand by my post.

To all:

feel free to email me if you prefer that.  I received an email suggesting either vehicle magnets or shoe polish writing on the buses stating who they are.  I thought that is a great idea.

thank you so much to the person who sent that suggestion!  you know who you are..

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

curioso
Buela,

There seems to be a small core group on this forum whose only purpose is to try and find ways to discredit others and start trouble.
This is exactly what trolls do.

You do not have to justify yourself to anyone here.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

drtexas
Buela,

        I have spoken to my father who lives in Del Rio and who travels to Mexico quite often. He said that traveling at night is not advised. He doesn't do it and his friends do not either. I am trying to get more info regarding the marking of the vehicles. I don't believe that they care at this point and will stop you if they just feel like it, but I will let you know as soon as I can.

~La Negra

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

Capjim

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

i never said border states...

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

Thanks for the reminder!  I appreciate your comment.
I am so frustrated at what to do, I don't need a wise ass making unfactual statements.

If I recall correctly he is the guy that can't find a woman in the states so he was asking about women in Mx...jaja  glaringly  apparent why..

thanks again

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

thanks Negra..

I am thinking the same thing.  A friend has a daughter who is an olympic rower and travels around and they paint the buses to identify themselves as young people.  but you are right especially for some groups, like those in the coahuila area, I don't think they care at all.  We will go ahead and do it, and mark CAM SCHOOLS, which identifies them from CAM or the schools for the disabled.

I have called the directors and said no night travel so if thye want to participate they must stay the night.  The ranch the church offered if very nice.  It is between PN and Acuna.

Thank you so much.  If you get any other info let me know.  the kids from Saltillo area are spending the night also.

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

Capjim

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

Cap Jim

I know who you are talking about.  The wife wrote to me in private saying she felt she needed privacy.  She was not in California at all, they are in Tx.  I wrote back and forth and gave her recommendations via which highways and though the long route certain places to circumvent.  I would do the same for anyone.  SHe knows through our email conversation who exactly I know I told her so that she can weigh the value of the opinion.  I did not like her plan and told her DO NOT GO.  I sent her good solid information and at the end her husband went and flew back without a problem whatsoever.  This was not a vacay or pleasure it was business and important to them.

I will say this again.  Unless one has no choice do not travel in border states.  I fly into Saltillo and Mty and I used to drive, sometimes by myself and had no fear.  No more.  But most of Mx I would have no problem in going.  I am building a HS in the highlands of Chiapas for Zapa kids, I don't have a problem going there, but I sure would not drive around in certain areas.  Its knowing ones surroundings and the history of the place.  and that goes to personal responsibility, just as anywhere.

Captain Jim...you really should read a book about how to speak and not speak to women, saying sugar to a woman you don't know is very sexist and impolite not to mention patronizing.  Maybe thats why you can't get a lady friend?  Be respectful.  I don't know what you have against me, and I don't care but this post is very important to me, please don't ruin it further, if you would like just email me instead.  I promise to answer any question you may have.

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

Bones
There are few phrases in these postings that just make me shiver. "Cant park buses outside because itll be trouble if they know theres lots of people at the ranch"   "they paint the buses to let them know its young people, but some groups dont care"

unbelievable what mexico has come to. what country would allow this. insane.

oh and cap jim gave me the douche chills as well

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

drtexas
You're most welcome Buela. I have heard from a few sources that reside in the Del Rio area that the crimes occurring in the area(Del Rio/Acuna) are not being reported to the public. This is to calm any fears that the citizens may have regarding travel to Mexico. I can tell you that I am very disappointed because they should be advising travel restrictions if they indeed are necessary. We fortunately have this website and it's forum  to obtain info and ask questions. So, you should most definitely take precautions even when traveling during the day.  I will keep you in my prayers Buela. I have much respect for you and what you are doing and I wish you the best. If I come across anything else i will let you know. The following is an excerpt from the U.S. Dept. of State Mexico Travel Warning dated April 22, 2011: U.S. government employees are restricted from traveling to the area known as "La Laguna", including the city of Torreon, and the city of Saltillo within the state. You should defer non-essential travel to this area, as well as to the cities of Piedras Negras and Ciudad Acuña due to frequent incidents of transnational criminal organizations (TCO) related violence.

~La Negra

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

El Regio
Buela ignore the trolls...

Anyway I wouldn't recommend any travel at night, even during the day it is bad. It's always riskier at night, even before all of this mess started.
I travel in the early hours of the morning when the rats are most likely asleep.

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

musicwielder
Don't for a second let the "early hours of the morning" when you think the rats may be asleep lull you into a false sense of security. All the bullet dings in my truck were done around 5am while on my way to work. I'm not talking about 1 time either but 3 different times.

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

La Negra...It is very difficult to determine safety and balance it with allowing some normalcy in life for children in Mx.  In my "project 72" two of the Central Am shelters we assist are in Acuna and PN.  I have now ask my staff to use the US side of travel going in at Del Rio or Eagle Pass, for safety.  It is a pain because we have to declare all the supplies going to the Migrants.  so twice the duty.  but it is safer.
You are correct MUCH of the problems never hit the news in Acuna, that is why I thought I would throw it out there.   thanks again

Bones:  Yes I know it is horrible to read it from the perspective of a birds eye view.  But the alternative would to give into the terror and not allow children to have a life outside fear.

Regio...wow, now I am scared angain.  The kids from PN will travel at 7AM and will stay at the ranch.  saltillo will leave at sunrise.

please keep everyone in your prayers.  I will post a photo of the happy event.

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

El Regio
Sorry Buela didn't mean to scare you. I guess one can never know, I have relatives that travel at anytime and swear that it is safe! They are crazy, they have just been lucky so far.

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

Regio...no apology needed...i want truth and because of the media hiding most things we have to rely on each other...right?  I am well aware of the danger, but the parents, directors and even the top person of special ed for the state (my friend who I trust) says with the precautions taken they feel comfortable.  That is how most Mx are.  The Chief of Special ed is traveling with one of the saltillo groups to my even so she isn't talking out her naulgas.  Americans have more fear for Mx then they themselves.  I would NEVER travel at night.

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

I agree...what is the best time in your OP?

WHen I think of early AM I think of the recent grenade attacks in saltillo, and a video comes to mind, taken early AM depicting a formation of roadblock and shoot out entry into a home it was early AM about 5

I was thinking 7 should be safest?  I offered to have single events in the various cities, but the kids and parents really want to be together in one huge event.  I have done these before, like for special olympics held in Saltillo last year and my annual posadas kids from all over, Torreon-Monclova-Saltillo-Sabinas and the border cities...but it has never been so scary as now

Re: IS NIGHT TRAVEL FROM Piedras Negras to Acuna and Saltillo safe?

BTW...parents, teachers, dirctors etc are following in caravans