Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

DD
Yesterday, Dec. 10, a story was  posted on BB Forum that was entitled "El Chapo threatens ISIS.  Even though the poster of that story simply asked "s this real? Or fake guys. Discuss",  it was obviously a ridiculous story. He tried to justify posting the story by informing us that the major publications of the MSM had printed the story as truthful.

He has been around BB long enough to know that just because something is printed by the main stream media, it doesn't make it true.

He and the reporters on MSM should have gone to the source, especially in a story this wild.

The rumor started on a satirical web site (Thug Life Videos ) that frequently publishes fake articles, was mistakenly picked up as a genuine news item by a web site (cartelblog.com - which went "out of service" today) that supposedly specializes in information about cartels, and was then regurgitated by multiple other online news outlets.

A disclaimer on the site explains that while Thug Life Video's main focus is on creating and sharing videos and entertainment news, they occasionally publish satire.

Steve Charnock, who works for Thug Life Videos, confirmed  he was the author of this fictional but now-viral "news" piece:

"Here at Thug Life Videos we create and share with you the very best in Thug Life videos and general entertainment news. As well as more serious content, we sometimes share the odd satire stories for your entertainment.

"We write funny 'satire' stories occasionally which we assume are taken as jokes, and generally they are ...
Maybe I didn't make this El Chapo story funny or weird enough, though."

This isn't the first time that Thug Life Videos has fooled the media with a story about El Chapo. In October 2015, the web site helped promulgate the false story that El Chapo had put a bounty on Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's head.

I considered just taking down the story when I saw it was so rediculous, even before I did any research into it.  It was just to ridiculous to be true.  But by that time several hundred of our readers had already read it and the damage was done.  The damage is to BB's reputation as a website that strives to print only accurate news stories.   If we make a mistake, we own up to it and try to correct it   That is why I posted this.

I apologize to our readers for that one getting posted.
DD

A tip of the had to Forum reader "Doc" for alerting me to the Snopes story that a lot of the details I posted here.

http://www.snopes.com/el-chapo-threatens-isis/

Re: Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

Well at least DD it wasn't on MB and person asked if it was true.

Re: Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

Anonymous123
Yea. That story seemed absolutely ridiculous from the beginning.

Re: Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

Bajadrone-2

Re: Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

@Canadia, The story wasn't posted on MB, but many of the readers there read it on Forum or at least the headline and posted comments asking if it was true.

Re: Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

@BajaDrone.  I just emailed you (before I read this latest comment).

A word of caution.  you are trying to start a fight you can't win.

Re: Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

Cuidado
Its the forum though not the main board?? Forums are meant for all kinds of banter to be posted real or not..not news stories. Forums are for discussion...this post is very strange to me.

Re: Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

Oh man, oh man.... A girl can't even become ill without drama arising in her absence ...

Actually, mistaking posts or videos for the real thing when in fact they are satire has been done multiple times on BB.  Sometimes the creator is pretty nebulous about the work is satire.

This is my opinion:  I would not have spotlighted on a user, I would have simply ran the correction.  I think that would place anyone in a defensive mode.

BUT Baja made it bad to worse by posting some foul verbiage.  I think DD demonstrated restraint  by not banning Baja for a week or so, but then again maybe took another look at the scenario and thought maybe he should not have called out Baja.  I don't know.

One thing, on forum we do allow a little leeway on subject matter, but clearly, at least to me the story would have relevance to organized crime because anything about chapo does.  IMO.

I do know this story played out in mainstream media on both sides the border.

Paz,

Re: Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

Chivis, I will be posting a story about a gambling indictment in San Diego, that involved wealthy Tijuana families, and human trafficking from Tijuana into SD.....I just wanted to run by you, it involves no drugs or TCO's, but I think is important enough story, and worthy of BB.

Re: Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

Siskiyou_Kid
It's interesting that one of the indictments targets an employee of a famous former TJ mayor deeply involved in gambling, and allegedly connected to other activities.

Re: Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán has not threatened to wage war against ISIS.

Ricardo Castellanos Velasquez or Jaime Behar?

I was talking about Castellanos, the team manager. I look forward to your story.