Jessica Osequera

monas
I thought that US gov't appeal on the granting of bail for Jessica Osequera was due on Friday March 6, 2020.  Are there any updates?

Re: Jessica Osequera

they combined it with the hearing about discovery being available to Jessica.

She lost both issues...I began a post about the issues see below what I have written about the bail, I gleaned info from the court docs.

Setting Conditions of Release

Specifically, the Magistrate Judge conditioned a release on Jessica participating  in a High Intensity Supervision Program.  Additionally, she was to; surrender  both her U.S. and Mexican passports, GPS location monitoring and home detention at a residence in Washington, D.C., plus weekly in-person reports to a probation officer.

Jessica was also to acquire  a $500,000 bond secured by a piece of property in California owned by defendant’s aunt which, it was represented to the Magistrate Judge, as having a value of at least $500,000. (note: At the detention hearing before this Court, the government submitted that the property had an assessed value of only $109,889 and was last sold for $99,999, substantially lower than $500,000 appearance bond it was meant to secure.

However, in California the assessed value rises in little increments after the year of sale and begins with sales price.  It also raises with improvements.  The actual value would depend on the year of purchase,  less any mortgage.)

Release Order
At the government’s request, the Magistrate Judge stayed her ruling in order to allow the government to appeal and petition the Court for review.

A hearing was promptly scheduled for and held the next day, on March 3, 2020.

March 3 hearing

In the March 3rd hearing, a motion filed by the defendant to compel release of evidence was discussed.  The defendant asserts is necessary to prepare her pretrial case.

Both the evidence motion and pretrial release were discussed in the March 3rd hearing, and both resolved.

The judge ruled in favor of the prosecution and rescinded the order to release.

Re: Jessica Osequera

You are new so I will let it slide, but posts are not to be a question.  it must contain news or facts.

in this case by going back to the original post about jessica and posting the same question, that makes in within our guidelines

Thanks

Re: Jessica Osequera

@Chivis are you reading anything into the aunt's property as collateral? Her personal property must be up for confiscation in this case.  Bernie Madoff was given a sweeter bond deal, although he had an actual residence in the city/state he was charged in. Emma better stay in Mexico, this could happen to her one day.

Re: Jessica Osequera

I am not sure, but obviously they offered property they could live without.  I sure would like to know where it is to determine real value in todays market

Re: Jessica Osequera

Parro
Daughter of Mexican drug cartel boss El Mencho wants emergency bond because of COVID-19
Beth Warren, Louisville Courier Journal Published 12:06 p.m. ET March 20, 2020 | Updated 2:01 a.m. ET March 21, 2020

The daughter of a billionaire cartel boss who has eclipsed notorious drug lord "El Chapo" is seeking emergency release on bond from a federal jail because of the potential of an outbreak of COVID-19.

Jessica Johanna Oseguera González — daughter of one of America's most sought after fugitives known as "El Mencho" — is 33 and has no known illnesses that place her in a high-risk category. Yet her attorneys are arguing that she should be allowed bond because of the dangers of the coronavirus.

The daughter, known as "La Negra," was arrested March 3 at a federal courthouse in Washington, D.C. when she attempted to go through security and head to a courtroom to support her brother, Rubén Oseguera González, who had been extradited from Mexico on drug trafficking charges.

Her brother, known as "El Menchito" or "Lil' Mencho" once stood to inherit the throne of a drug dynasty from his father in Mexico.

Menchito, the son of El Mencho, is in a Mexican jail while awaiting extradition to the U.S. He has a bandage from a nose job, but Mexican officials said they didn't know if he had the surgery to disguise his identity.

La Negra, who traveled from Mexico to the U.S. for the hearing, wouldn't have known that a grand jury had indicted her too because the indictment had been sealed.

Since her arrest, the coronavirus has spread into a global pandemic, endangering inmates, her attorney, Steven J. McCool, argued in his motion for an emergency hearing for bond.

"Detention facilities, such as the facility in which Ms. Gonzalez is currently incarcerated, pose an even more substantial danger, given the sheer number of inmates sharing close quarters, without the ability to stay away from one another and stop the spread of the virus," McCool wrote in his motion.

While no cases of the virus or the disease it causes, COVID-19, have not been detected at her jail, it's only a matter of time, he said.

La Negra has no criminal history and isn't charged with a violent crime, so she should be granted pretrial bond, her attorney claimed.

He declined an interview with The Courier Journal Friday.

A federal judge in Washington, D.C., gave prosecutors until Tuesday to file their response for an emergency bond.

Prosecutors previously convinced a U.S. District Court judge to deny bond, arguing that Oseguera is a flight risk, with substantial connections in Mexico. She and her children live in Guadalajara.

And her father commands the Cártel Jalisco Nueva Generación, a ruthless cartel based in Guadalajara with extensive reach into the U.S. and six continents.

The investigation found the cartel operating in at least 35 states and the territory of Puerto Rico.

The U.S. is offering a $10 million reward for help capturing El Mencho, who leads the CJNG cartel, which, along with Sinaloa Cartel, is blamed for the bulk of illegal drugs that flood the streets of the U.S. — especially fentanyl, the nation's No. 1 killer.

La Negra was charged with her involvement in five businesses blacklisted by the U.S. Treasury Department for affiliations with CJNG, in a case led by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration’s Los Angeles Field Division.

Unlike their father, La Negra and her brother were born in the U.S., giving them dual citizenship — but also making her vulnerable to this rare plan of attack by federal prosecutors.

Because she is a U.S. citizen, it is a crime for her to spend money at or interact with the blacklisted businesses.

She is charged with associating with J&P Advertising, Las Flores Cabanas, Mizu Sushi Lounge, Operadora Los Famosas and Onze Black, a tequila label. U.S. citizens have been banned from associating with them since Sept. 17, 2015.

Along with La Negra, several defendants from coast to coast are seeking bond while awaiting trial or early release or home detention post-conviction because of COVID-19 risks.

An attorney in Miami is making a similar argument on behalf of Gilberto Rodriguez-Orejuela, one of the former leaders of the infamous Cali Cartel, a billion-dollar empire based in Columbia once blamed for the majority of the cocaine in the U.S.

A federal judge sentenced Rodriguez-Orejuela to 30 years in prison in 2006 after he pleaded guilty to drug charges.

Attorney David Oscar Markus, filed a motion Monday saying the drug lord is age 81 and in extremely fragile health: “When (not if) COVID-19 hits his prison, he will not have much of a chance.”

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/crime/2020/03/20/mencho-cjng-cartel-boss-daughter-la-negra-coronavirus-covid-19/2883468001/

SIDENOTE:  Mencho and his family, Rosalinda, Menchito, Jessica appear to have not inherited a smile gene.

Re: Jessica Osequera

Mica
Interesting bail attempt, but with Python and her being a US citizen, I don't think it will work.

Re: Jessica Osequera

Aervin78
Pretty sure menchito will get a sweet deal ala vicentillo passing out old info to the dea that will not really help them get to Mencho

Re: Jessica Osequera

El17
What is Python?

Re: Jessica Osequera

Parro
EL17, Python was the operation that was just carried out, where about 500 to 600 CJNG operatives were arrested in the USA.

Re: Jessica Osequera

PSBNY619
I guess this did not go as planned for her, and might end up causing more harm to her future cases:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/crime/2020/03/24/prosecutors-el-menchos-daughter-misled-judge-seek-bond-due-coronavirus/2906718001/

"Jessica Johanna Oseguera González's attorney, Steven J. McCool, urged a U.S. District Court judge in Washington, D.C., in two motions filed last week to release her on bond to the home of an aunt so she could escape the threat of COVID-19. They offered up the aunt's home, which they valued at $500,000, to ensure her return to court.

However, prosecutors filed their own motion this week, asserting that the aunt's house "is a plot of land in Southern California that has an appraised value of only approximately $109,000 and previously sold for less than $100,000, suggesting an effort on the part of the defendant to mislead" the judge.

They say the woman, also known as "La Negra," is a serious flight risk. The judge agreed, issuing an order Tuesday denying her bond request based on COVID-19.

Jessica Oseguera Gonzalez
Jessica Oseguera Gonzalez (Photo: Provided by Mexico government)

Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell wrote that local jails are taking precautions and that the 33-year-old has no known illness to make her more vulnerable to COVID-19. He also noted that virus risks also exist outside of jail.

"The D.C. Department of Corrections has taken aggressive precautions to prevent the spread of the virus within the facility where defendant is detained, including suspending all in-person visits, programming, and volunteer activities within its facilities, enhanced cleaning efforts, especially within common areas, and vigilant medical personnel on alert for symptoms and prepared to isolate and treat symptomatic residents," the judge wrote in his order.

Our investigation: Drug lord’s empire is devastating families with its grip on US

District courts in Washington, D.C., also have taken precautions. Howell issued an order March 16 postponing trials and limiting court hearings, opting when possible to conduct video conferences, from March 17 through April 17."
-PSBNY619