It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

DD
Michael Reagan is the son of President Ronald Reagan, a political consultant, and the author of "The New Reagan Revolution"

By Michael Reagan

What the heck is wrong with Mexico?

It's got everything it needs to be a prosperous First World country.

It's got a $1.7 trillion free-market economy -- the 12th largest in the world.

It's got 116 million of the hardest working people on the planet.

It's got its own oil, gas, silver and other natural resources. It's got beautiful beaches and ancient ruins to attract tourists.

So why is Mexico such a mess?

Why are its wages so low and its per capita income a third of ours? Why is its unemployment rate so high? Why is its pollution so bad?

Why are drug cartels killing tens of thousands of people each year in turf wars? Why are the drug traffickers effectively in charge of the Mexican side of the U.S.-Mexico border?

And, most important to us, why do so many of Mexico's poorest citizens have to leave their families, become criminals and sneak across the U.S. border just to get a decent-paying job?

The answer is simple, and no secret.

The reason Mexico is not the safe, prosperous First World country it should be is because of its corrupt government and the politicians who run it.

Thirty years ago Ronald Reagan shocked the professional appeasers, the Cold War wimps and the detente-forever crowd when he called the Soviet Union exactly what it was and always had been -- "The Evil Empire."

My father's politically incorrect truth-telling told the whole world what he thought of the USSR and announced that he was going to use moral and spiritual weapons, not just military strength, to fight Soviet communism.

My father knew it was not the captive peoples of the Soviet Union who were evil. It was their totalitarian government and the terrible ideas that it enforced so brutally.

Mexico's people are equally blameless. They're not the source of their country's economic ills or our illegal-immigration problem.

The Mexicans who cross into the USA looking for work are doing what most people I know, including myself, would do if they were trapped in a politically corrupt country.

It's time for Washington to stop arguing over the length or height or strength of our border fences, or how many years our 11 million illegal immigrants must wait in line to become an American citizen.

It's time for Washington to address the root cause of our immigration problem -- the mess that is Mexico.

We need to stake out the moral high ground and do what it takes to help Mexico -- and it's not money.

Mexico already has all the human and natural resources it needs. But it's being held back by corruption.

It's time for an American president -- this president -- to stand up and call Mexico what it has been for at least a century, "The Corrupt Empire."

We -- through the president -- have to tell the people of Mexico we want to help them clean up their corrupt government.

We have to tell them we understand why they must risk their lives to come here illegally. And we have to tell them we want to help them become a First World country so they can stay home.

DD That is all well and good Michael, but you neglected to tell us just exactly HOW we will help them "clean up their corrupt government.

http://columbustelegram.com/news/opinion/columnists/mexico-held-back-by-corrupt-government/article_d86ac47e-9b49-5115-9af5-e72d7f2426e1.html

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

El_Cuatro_Veinte
Welp his daddy is to blame for the drug war

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

Slappy
Mexico is the way it is because it has a weak central government and an entrenched oligarchy.  Exactly the thing people like Michael Reagan are pushing for in the USA.

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

emperor
The best way for Mexico to get rid of most of the corruption (corruption will always exist in every country) is by the President of Mexico going after the corrupted public officials and making an example out of them. By going after public officials, it will send a strong message throughout the country that corruption is no longer going to be tolerated. If the government can put a corrupted "big fish" behind bars; this would be a strong morale boost and a light at the end of the tunnel for Mexico.

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

elcienporcien

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

sadisto
Mexicos government knows about this trade they are profiting from it , it will never stop , good on them I would be doing the same , why would you listen to stupid hipocrytes like the usa. Mexico is playing games going give me this equipment that equipment guns etc to combat the narcos then they are turning over that equipment to the narcos and aiding them to transport the drugs to the border for the cartels to give to their lower echelons who take the risk to pass it to the most drug addicted country in the world the good old usa to make some good cash.now that the australian dollar is getting lower by the day the usa is getting higher and soon more profits for the cartels and Mexico.

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

635787at
Yeah dd make Mexico seem bad AS YOU ALAYS DO ALL DAY

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

635787at
It's time for Pena nieto name USA as a drug addict state or gun providing state,or providethemoneyfkrcorruption in the wrld state

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

adam

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

@ 635787at. I don't really know how to respond to your comment;
"Yeah dd make Mexico seem bad AS YOU ALAYS DO ALL DAY".

The first thing that comes to mind is a "take off" of an old axiom "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", I would just change it to "Truth is in the eye of the beholder".  Do you not see the sarcasm is my remark about RR's son neglecting to tell us how the US is going to solve the problem of corruption in Mexico.  I even thought most people would recognize my opinion of Michael by my selection of a photo that makes him look goofy.  I guess it was too subtle for you.

I don't know of another contributor who is a bigger defender of Mexico than I am.  In fact I worry sometimes that readers will perceive me as being anti-US because of my criticisms of US foreign policy.

Most of my articles deal with corruption and impunity in Mexico because I believe that problem is the number one that has to be solved before Mexico can move forward.  If you think that makes "Mexico look bad", you don't understand the concept that to solve a problem, first you have to recognize there is a problem.

It is precisely because of my love of my adopted country, Mexico, that I try to shine a light on the corruption in the government and the impunity that follows corruption.

Do me a favor though so I can better understand your perspective.  Go to the "people" button at the top of the page, click it and then click on DD.  That 1st page of my posts just goes back to 6/22/2013, so look at the first 2 or 3 (or look at all 102 pages) and show me stories or comments that "make Mexico stories look bad" as I "ALWAYS DO ALL DAY".

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

BERTY
Its the blatently corrupt political system that makes Mexico look bad
The more I see the less I understand

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

Mexico-Watcher
After reading the Reagan's article and the comments, I went back and carefully re-read the article.

Keeping in mind that I regularly follow violent and corruption events in Mexico from various sources... including historical accounts going back many decades, and also many reading comments by Mexican citizens.... and talking with Mexicans.... I could find absolutely no fault in what he said.  In fact, I've am aware of far worse from Mexicans.... including politicians.

That said, what I find refreshing is that many citizens in the US will read the article and be stimulated to think more deeply about what Reagan wrote.  Because, up to now, US citizens have not been getting an honest picture from the MSM about Mexico.

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

DD
@Mexican-Watcher.  So long as Mr. Reagan stayed with the facts, I have no problem with what he said.  It is when he puts forth his solutions that his article becomes very condescending.

He also glosses over some facts.  He said;
My father's politically incorrect truth-telling told the whole world what he thought of the USSR and announced that he was going to use moral and spiritual weapons, not just military strength, to fight Soviet communism.

I still don't know what moral and spiritual weapons he was referring to, but most observers claim the cause of the collapse of the Soviet Union was because President Reagan outspent them on military buildup (military strength) and when the USSR tried to keep up, they went bust financially.

Mr. Reagan said as a solution to corruption ;

It's time for Washington to address the root cause of our immigration problem -- the mess that is Mexico. (DD. exactly how does he propose "to address" the mess that is Mexico?  As his father did with the USSR - military strength?)

We need to stake out the moral high ground and do what it takes to help Mexico  (DD what exactly does he mean "do what it takes"? military force?  That is usually what "do what it takes" means in "Washington speak")

We -- through the president -- have to tell the people of Mexico we want to help them clean up their corrupt government.   we have to tell them we want to help them become a First World country so they can stay home.   (DD.  Here he has switched from talking about what the US should do to "clean up the corrupt Mexican government" to telling the Mexican people that whatever the US does, it is to help them.
military invasion?)

His solutions are just platitudes with no specifics.  Unless you read between the lines of what he says.  I don't know what he really meant by that speech, he may just have been mouthing platitudes to help his radio show (I don't know if he still has one or not), but I think what I read between the lines is not an unreasonable interpretation.

I said it was condescending because he is in effect saying "you Mexicans are not capable of cleaning up your country, but we are the United States and we can clean it up for you.

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

jlopez
It is almost a truism in Mexico that the highest levels of government and politics are also the most corrupt. I say "almost" because there may be an honest politician out there that's the exception that tests the rule. But it seems that the whole apparatus of Mexican government and politics is designed to allow a few, inside and outside of government, to loot the country with impunity. The reason I say this is not only the obvious -- there's so much corruption and no politician ever gets sent to jail--, but the fact that the laws do not provide any means for redress. Of all the billions stolen by former and current presidents, voracious state governors, union presidents, high rank officials, the country has not recovered a dime (or, more properly, a peso).

The controls we take for granted in the U.S. are totally lacking in Mexico, not just the controls designed to detect and prevent corruption, but those intended to punish crooks and get some of the public's money back. And even if the laws were somehow amended to provide these measures, the courts and law enforcement agencies themselves would be an impediment to implementing the laws. Mexican courts and procedures are antiquated, and judges clearly believe that their main function is to get a paycheck and make sure they don't offend anybody with any degree of power.

I agree with much of Reagan's article, but he, perhaps unconsciously,  repeats certain myths. A big one: Mexico has a $1.7 trillion free market economy. Mexico does not have a "free market" economy. The Mexican government and political classes interfere as a matter of course with Mexico's economy to make sure political and economic status is not affected.

Another myth: Mexico is a democracy. Mexico is not a democracy. At best, it can be described as an oligarchy--- no, let's face it, it's a kleptocracy, that is, a government in which political control and power is vested in and exercised by crooks.

A few years ago, Denisse Dresser took up the notion that Mexico is a democracy in her essay "La Perra Verde", in which she argued that if Mexico were a democracy, it would look like a green dog. Everything about it would say "dog," but it is the wrong color! That metaphor has stayed in my mind because it is so appropriate. Yes, voters in Mexico choose certain candidates, but those candidates, once elected, do not have to answer to voters, which is a fundamental prerequisite for true democracy. And, I know that proportional representation is a trendy idea, especially in Europe, because it supposedly promotes diversification and political participation by all segments of society. Maybe, but what it does in Mexico is to facilitate corruption by allowing people like Deschamps and Gordillo (or Gordillo's pets) to avoid prosecution for their thievery. In case you're not familiar with the term, "plurinominales" are senators and congressmen who are "elected" by their party based on the percentage of votes that party obtains in the general election. Voters do not choose them, party leaders do, but once in power, they enjoy all legislative parliamentary powers, including immunity from prosecution. (The most commonly accepted theory to explain EPN's unwillingness to prosecute Pemex's Deschamps is that he was the conduit for Pemex money that was used in EPN's campaign. After the election, Deschamps was made a PRI Senator to make sure he could not be prosecuted for his campaign funding violations and embezzlement.)

Finally, Reagan assumes that the U.S. political and economic powers want a Mexico without corruption. Elcienporcien says that Mexico is a neocon's wet dream, pointing out that the greatest portion of Mexico's wealth is concentrated in the 1%, to a greater extent than it is even in the U.S. To that, I would add that there are no pesky environmental protection regulations (although they exist on paper), tax collection is minimal, and the federal government just finished reforming labor laws to make investment more attractive. And nobody gets prosecuted for tax evasion, ever. What's not to like?

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

nacho

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

Jorge Jorvanivich
Moral and spiritual weapons....isn't that what making drugs illegal is an attempt at."Just say no, drugs are bad, you will go to hell for getting high." That's not working. The US has a huge appetite for drugs and right now we have the time and money to act like fools. I don't think either side really wants to see that whole cycle come to a stop. The ones in control in Mexico, if that's politicians, or cartels, or are they the same, are the ones making money, and since they are in control they have an advantage to make sure things keep on keepin' on.  On the US side the ones in charge look at it like, yes we have a large percentage of our population that enjoys doing drugs, actually not only enjoy, but refuse to stop no matter the cost or consequence. Let them carry on, they are paying crazy inflated prices, this will help drive their desire and insure that they never have too much of anything. The first time they get caught doing anything drug related we will brand them a felon for life, this will insure they can never vote and get someone who agrees with them elected. If the heat ever gets too bad for all of our addict citizens we can put part of the blame off on someone else, after all the illegal drugs are not being manufactured in the US. Its not like Mexico is going to say " ENOUGH, you guys have five months then you are going to have to make your own dope, we are tired of carrying you." Or the US, "ok you guys got five months to start utilizing your own resources, because we are going to allow our own pharmaceutical companies supply our own addicts.

  Why is Mexico the middle man for the majority of the US drug supply anyway? They either get the precursors needed for meth or play middleman for coke and heroin deals. Are Americans really just that lazy? Too lazy to obtain their own sources, and make their own millions? The US does have three other borders that I would think would not be near as hot. I  am thinking the Chinese and the Columbians would be just as happy with dollars from an American...

AJ

CHIVIS FOREVER
AJ

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

AJ

Michael Reagan's father was the leader of one of the most "Corrupt Empires", or more like "Evil Empires" of all time. It is Ronald Reagan's administration that is the poster child of what we know as the GOP of today.

Tell me of one government that isn't corrupt? Mexico's embarrassment is that they never own up to their own mistakes. They need to start taking care of their own citizens instead of always taking the easy way out and always blaming the U.S. for their problems.
CHIVIS FOREVER

Re: It's Time For Obama to Call Mexico a "Corrupt Empire", Like My Dad Called Russia the "Evil Empire"

Mexico-Watcher
DD: All your points are well taken.  Thanks for you insightful perspectives.

My one desire out of all this, is that American citizen discover the serious problems Mexico has and the complex underlying factors that are at causally at fault.
Including, of course, the USA's insatiable appetite for illicit drugs and cheap labor.

Mexic0-Watcher.
12