Is making drugs legal the answer?

Barbon

I just wondered your thoughts on this: So many people say to make drugs legal in order to win this drug war. Is this REALLY the answer? many seem to think it is.

My thoughts on this are lot of people are on drugs already and they are rife but if they were legal overnight the amount of people hooked and on drugs would be through the roof! something like 2 out of 3 people would be stoned off their face 24/7. Sure things are bad now but to legalize them would make things 10 times worse! the government can currently restrict the drug trade a little but not greatly.

If they would do it it would not really matter if they just made a few drugs legal and others not as the ones that were still illegal that made the most money the cartels would focus more on. Also while the cartels would be damaged they would by no means be finished they would focus on crimes like murder for hire or kidnapping.

They either make them all legal or not at all.

Re: Is making drugs legal the answer?

El_Cuatro_Veinte
Probably not cause the government has never been at war with drugs it has always been at war with poor and people who are not white.

Re: Is making drugs legal the answer?

Ramms
In my opinion legalizing drugs has many pros and cons.

For example a pro would be that a lot, if not most, drug users will buy from shops and the drug gangs or cartels will be losing clients and money making them less powerful (since alot of their revenue comes from weed). A con would be that marijuana would be easier to obtain that it would be so exposed and infiltrated in society. Eventhough marijuana isn't deadly it is still bad containing THC and affecting brain, lungs, heart, etc. I think drugs should be legalized with certain conditions and restrictions.

Re: Is making drugs legal the answer?

Anon
Making drugs legal would be the solution to Mexico's drug violence and corruption problems. When you make an illegal substance legal, you take away the hyper inflated prices. The reason there is so much violence and corruption in Mexico is because the drugs are so valuable that they allow gangsters to co-opt the local, state and federal government. When they are legal, then the market will determine what they are worth. You don't see nearly as much violence with any legal commodity.
     I'm not saying there is no violence with avocados, tequila etc, but very very little. So if marijuana and opium were legal, they wouldn't be worth much, and therefore wouldn't make violent criminals wealthy. The criminals would be involved in legitimate business, and therefore the cost benefit analysis of using violence would not make it worth it. The government wouldn't need to tax it unofficially, ie corruption, they would tax it legally.
    In the end people will use drugs, and this may not be in their best interests. In some cases it WILL be in their best interests. Either way, its up to them to decide what they want to put in their own bodies. If you want to screw your life up being an addict, thats up to you, but the majority of people will not become addicts.
    Dr. Sanjay Gupta just released some statistics the other day. Heroin addicts 25% of people who use it. Cocaine, 20%. Mariajuan, potentially 10%. Nicotene 30%. I believe alcohol was around 20%. Anyway, that means 75% of people who try even heroin will not become addicts. They'll try it, get sick, not enjoy it and never do it again. Drugs can be dangerous, but some of the danger is the penalties the law imposes on people just for using these drugs. When a person uses drugs, who is the victim? Under our general criminal theory, the state is the victim. So therefore a person using drugs harms the state and therefore needs to be punished. This, to me at least, it ridicoulous. The state is only harmed when, for example you don't go to work and you take benefits from the state to support your addiction. If you do not do this, then there is no reason to prosecute.

Re: Is making drugs legal the answer?

Anon
And if even Marijuana alone were legalized this would weaken the drug cartels. This alone would be a good thing. Cocaine use is going down in popularity as is Meth. Heroin is smaller than both. So the cartels will be hurt as to both Coke and Weed, which are their two biggest money makers. Add to that the constant divisions between them. The issue is still the violence, but the power and wealth of the cartels will be decreasing at the national level, but local groups will still wield a large degree of power. There is reason to be both optomistic and pessimistic.

Re: Is making drugs legal the answer?

@anon.  Well said.  But one of the reasons that you didn't specifically mention is that prohibition and interdiction policies just don't work.

Just look at how long the US has been trying that approach and how much has it decreased demand, supply or usage.

You are right that if you cut off their "cash cows" they will be hurt badly.  Yes they may engage in other illicit activities - kidnapping, extortion, robbery, etc..  But cutting off their main cash flow sources will quickly get to the real root of many of Mexico's problems - corruption and impunity.

If they don't have the funds to pay 10s of million dollars in bribes (I have seen the figure of $1 billion a year in bribes), they will not be able to pay the kind of bribes necessary for protection.  Without protection their risk of capture and punishment goes way up.  they will not be able to act with the impunity that they now do.

I won't go into how to regulate and control drug abuse if drugs were legalized, but there are a lot of proposals out there about how to do it.
As far as pot usage going up if it were legal, I don't think so.  It might eliminate some hassle  in buying it, but right now anywhere in the United States anyone can get pot if they want it.

Re: Is making drugs legal the answer?

Anon
Well, the usage may go up. Addiction will probably increase, but then its really a health issue. Alcoholism went up after prohibition. Its not that legalizing drugs is a utopian senario, its just a preferable one to what we have now. But you summed it up DD. Prohibition does not really work. It may decrease some usage and availability, but the cure is worse than the disease in this case. Frankly I really wouldn't care if 50% of all american's smoked weed on a regular basis.

Re: Is making drugs legal the answer?

mingmen
it is for weed
powders are more difficult but logically it is the only path. psychedelics should be decriminalized including x and analogues. you cannot criminalize a state of mind

Re: Is making drugs legal the answer?

Baggy
Its pretty simple. Prohibition caused this mess(worldwide). undo it and we can begin to clean it up. Continue to fight a losing battle and the only thing you're doing is wasting time,energy,money and lives.

Re: Is making drugs legal the answer?

Baggy
THe govt in uraguay are planning on selling weed for 2.50 a gram to compete with the black market.. time will tell if this is a wise choice or not but i think in the long run its a very smart move and hopefully just the start of people looking at the drug war with an open mind.

And ive just gotta say this, That anyone who thinks that if drugs were to become legal all of a sudden everyone and their grandma is gonna be out smoking meth, think about it for fucks sake, how many people Don't smoke and don't drink in the world as it is now, both are legal.. go look at the numbers on things like that before you say something so stupid or fail to think/fall for dea/cia/govt propaganda.

@RAMMS do you even know anything about marijuana other than some pamphlet you were given by some freak doing hand outs for some rehab joint trying to make a quick buck?seriously....