Is corruption a' cultural thing' in romantic language nations?

Is corruption a' cultural thing' in romantic language nations?

Obviously Mexico got it from Spain.It seems to be in French culture,Italian and Spanish as well.I know there is a worldwide corruption index for most countries but is it more the wealth or lack of in a country or more just in this so called romantic languages a cultural thing as EPN said?

Re: Is corruption a' cultural thing' in romantic language nations?

Lala
Part of it is human nature, people are greedy, period. Add to that weak institutions unable to control abuses from those in powerful positions, inequality, a history of authoritarian or semi authoritarian regimes (that by definition breed corruption), let it brew for enough time so it roots almost as a cultural trait and there you go. It´s not exclusive to romance language countries, just look at Africa, Asia or Eastern Europe.

I think it´s helpful looking at what countries have less corruption and see what differences them in terms of history and society

Re: Is corruption a' cultural thing' in romantic language nations?

Bjeff
Corruption is everywhere, it is not bound to just some cultures.

Transparency International keeps track of the corruption perception index:
http://www.transparency.org/cpi2013/results

France is about the same level as the US so you cannot really say it is embedded within the French culture. Having done business in France, it is not my impression either. Their inferiority complex is a bigger problem.

The map on the index clearly states a relation between corruption and wealth, but I read a very interesting survey looking at the relation between trust, corruption and wealth, and what do you know, in the countries where people generally trust one another, there are less corruption and more wealth.

My ideological theory is that top bottom action reflects what kind of society you get. If the leadership of a country is corrupt, that will reflect on the rest of society over time. If your government is surveilling everybody arguing for homeland security, you will get a distrusting society.

Re: Is corruption a' cultural thing' in romantic language nations?

Rubbertoe
It is useful to define and redefine corruption, society by society. Yes there is a dictionary definition of the word and it is universally pejorative. It's a bad thing and always negative. But the actual concept of the act can be markedly different from the dictionary definition. The concept is anchored to behavior and the interpretation thereof.  Societal norms, mores and folkways, rules, and laws define the concept and flesh it out as to what is acceptable and expected.

Dump the word and concept corruption from your thinking, describe an act and who benefits and how.  A friend, mesero, working family guy who needs a vehicle to get to work is driving home in his unlicensed vehicle. Stopped by local police a 'fine' is demanded on the spot. He turns out his pockets and shows the total he has is 5 pesos.  Cop takes the 5 pesos and send him on his way. Good example of corruption , right ?  Cop got the last of my friends cash, no money for tortillas today. My friend got to keep his vehicle and drive home, avoiding impoundment and eventual loss of the vehicle because he cannot pay the fine or impoundment fees.
JMB

Re: Is corruption a' cultural thing' in romantic language nations?

JMB
Honestly .... YES. It's a leftover from European Spain, particularly in Countries that haven't gotten over colonialism. Like Mexico.

Although,  Sicily and parts of Italy are just as rotten & worthless (Once part of Spain).. It had to do with 700 yrs of Islamic rule and Germanic peoples [The Romans hated-] who weren't worth a dayum.

Re: Is corruption a' cultural thing' in romantic language nations?

tuSancho
Living in Mexico, one thing that strikes me is how it works in practical terms, not theory.  For example, last June I had two palapas covering terrace roofs replaced.  One with another palapa, the other with lamina.  The roof builders had already arranged for the local building inspector to come and collect his mordida.  We had three weeks to finish while he was assigned to my town.  Job done, no permits needed and no trip to another town presidencia.  What roofs?

Mexico is so bureaucratic in its processes that very often a mordida, un refresco, is just a work around.  The bureaucracy discourages following their processes and everyone is the better off for it, most of the time.  I am not making a moral judgement... just how it seems to work here.  Call it cutting red tape.

Re: Is corruption a' cultural thing' in romantic language nations?

Yeah wish sometimes I could use that here like you and TuSancho mentioned 2 examples to cut red tape but what about when the cop pulls you over for nothing and looks for an expected handout?Thats when I think it crosses the line but like you said its overall perception which can mean different things to different people.Corruption can work for or against you and you can be totally set up too like people that are arrested with no charges and held till they pay so its so easily abused.

Re: Is corruption a' cultural thing' in romantic language nations?

Whats surprising about this transparency list you posted was that Barbados and Hong Kong beat out US and Columbia beat out Mexico in the corruption index.Interesting just to see how all the different countries compare at a glance.

Re: Is corruption a' cultural thing' in romantic language nations?

tuSancho
I just saw this foto posted on facebook.  It is picture of a 'dispensa', a bundle of food and stuff - look at the picture for details - that is given to a voter in exchange for a vote.  This foto shows a dispensa to vote for a PRI candidate Pena Nieto, and for that matter all PRI.  These are normally arranged by a political operative sort of like a plaza boss.  The red and black base is a small two burner stove.