Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Jesús Vicente Zambada Niebla was extradited to the US in 2010 after his March 2009 arrest in Mexico City

Written by Adán Germán for Borderland Beat

I know there are a few members of the forum from Chi-town and some of you have some insight into communities with large numbers of Mexicans, like Pilsen. This is the kind of story that would ripple through those communities.

Jesús Vicente Zambada Niebla, El Vicentillo, the son of Sinaloa Cartel capo Ismael Zambada Garcia, was arrested in Mexico City in March of 2009 after meeting with the DEA. He ostensibly met with the DEA to provide information as a protected witness, much like Sinaloa Cartel lawyer Humberto Loya Castro, whom the US Attorney's Office provided immunity from prosecution based on his own activities as an informant. Loya Castro had been facing serious charges stemming a 1995 indictment for a massive narcotics conspiracy.

The March 2009 meeting between the DEA and Zambada Niebla was arranged by Loya Castro, and it was assumed he would receive a similar deal for providing the US government with information on the illegal activities of Sinaloa Cartel rivals.

Following pretrial motions, US District Judge Ruben Castillo refused to dismiss the charges against Vicentillo, stating that his defense team had failed to prove he was a confidential source who was provide immunity from prosecution by the US government. However, the judge did not preclude the possibility that classified evidence could be presented at a later date. After privately viewing some of the classified evidence, Castillo postponed the trial once again.

Then in May of 2013 the trial was postponed once again as both the defense and prosecution filed for a delay. This was apparently part of a plan to wait for more witnesses to be extradited, but it also followed Vicentillo's case being severed from co-defendants Tomás Arévalo Rentería and Alfredo Vázquez Hernández .

The case is scheduled to be sent to trial today, July 23, but there is no case on the docket.

Is Jesús Vicente Zambada Niebla a protected witness, like the Flores twins, who agreed to testify against him? Will he enter WITSEC, the United States Department of Justice Witness Protection program?

http://personal.crocodoc.com/ur2IHXz
http://www.timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/15692116/behind-the-chicago-trial-of-a-mexican-drug-kingpin
http://www.insightcrime.org/news-analysis/trafficker-gives-details-of-chapos-deals-with-us

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

El_Cuatro_Veinte
Interesting and probably, remember the US Govt worked with the Cali Cartel to take out the Medellin Cartel. Now they used Z40 to weaken the Zetas. The intel Vicentillo is probably on the BLO's right?

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Tijuano
Could be, I remember reading somewhere that Loya Castro told the DEA about a possible attack on them by CAF, if I´m not mistaken, someone in CAF ordered a hit on the DEA agents in Tijuana.

Vicentillo had a lot of info on both CAF and BLO, after all, he was the one in charge of Mexicali for some time when BLO and CDS broke up.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Tijuano
This all sounds like a chapter of "El Cartel de los Sapos" book.

I wouldn´t be surprised if "Vicentillo" gets deal, however I HIGHLY doubt he´ll provide info on CDS, at least not  related to Mayo or Chapo.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Windycitykid
The case does not show on judge Castillo's schedule nor does it appear as suppressed
"Great minds have purpose, others have wishes" - Washington Irvin

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Yeah, I don't think Vicentillo would provide any information the DEA doesn't already have, but there could be some deal in the works to avoid the embarrassment of admitting that the US government was allowing massive shipments of drugs to flow north in exchange for info on their rivals.

Judge Castillo ruled that the govt. doesn't have to hand over classified info to the defense, but he may have also told the prosecution that withholding exculpatory evidence because it's classified wouldn't withstand an appeal, or something along those lines. This would motivate them give him a sweetheart deal.

I'm additionally curious about the role of US intelligence agencies in this story, because the CIA was actively involved in many similar stories, so I would be surprised if this case isn't infested with spooks.

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

At the hearing in May they said the next hearing was scheduled for July, 23 and now the case is unlisted and I can't find a listing for him in the federal prison system.

Try his full name
"Great minds have purpose, others have wishes" - Washington Irvin

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Siskiyou_Kid
I've tried every combination of Jesus Vicente Zambada Niebla, or Jesus Vicente Zambada-Niebla, or Vicente Zambada-Niebla I can think of, because we know the feds are idiots when it comes to Spanish names, but I can't find him. However, this isn't unusual before someone is sentenced.

http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/LocateInmate.jsp

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

elGrifo
when someone is in PC (protective custody) it doesn't always mean they fucked up, lot of the times big names like him are PC because there name and what ppl will do , but he got power still in there

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

nacho

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

elGrifo
Jtbesq I can tell u never been arrested, even being in care for a disease or surgery , your put in PC don't just read books son

Any high profile name going thru court process , most are put in PC

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Siskiyou_Kid
Yep.

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

elcienporcien

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Windycitykid
I totally agree, the last motion the codefedant lawyers were able to get a separate trial for them because of vicentillo's alleged #ombing th*eats of buildings In el DF.

You get the sense all parties involved are trying to stretch the case as much as possible.
"Great minds have purpose, others have wishes" - Washington Irvin

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Baggy
till vincente cant take it anymore and offs himself....all we can do is speculate for now i guess.

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Pariente
Wow, the infamous Vicentillo turning himself into a Protected witness. Baggy, wouldn't be the first time a Zambada committed suicide, his cousin el hijo del Rey Zambada killed himself years ago when he was popped. I don't see either one of those things happening though. Does anybody know how old he is now?
" La palabara es plata, el silencio es oro "

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

Siskiyou_Kid
Vicentillo is 38 years old.

Many people believe that Jesús Zambada Reyes was killed, even though it was ruled a suicide by hanging in his cell.

Re: Is Vicente Zambada entering witness protection?

ToPHeR
I would almost say the CIA would have to be involved with something of this magnitude. The DEA alone couldn't get approval for such a massive operation alone. I mean we're talking about hundreds of millions, maybe billions of dollars! I know Fast n Furious was pretty decent size for ATF, but nothing compared to allowing cartels to work with the Feds...
12