Is Legal Pot Crippling Mexican Drug Trafficking Organisations?

Is Legal Pot Crippling Mexican Drug Trafficking Organisations?

BBreader
http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2018/01/legal-pot-crippling-mexican-drug-trafficking-organisations.html

Is Legal Pot Crippling Mexican Drug Trafficking Organisations?

Yes, it would seem.  The subtitle is “The Effect of Medical Marijuana Laws on US Crime,” the authors are Evelina Gavrilova, Takuma Kamada, and Floris Zoutman, and the outlet is The Economic Journal.  Here is the abstract:

We show that the introduction of medical marijuana laws (MMLs) leads to a decrease in violent crime in states that border Mexico. The reduction in crime is strongest for counties close to the border (less than 350 kilometres) and for crimes that relate to drug trafficking. In addition, we find that MMLs in inland states lead to a reduction in crime in the nearest border state. Our results are consistent with the theory that decriminalisation of the production and distribution of marijuana leads to a reduction in violent crime in markets that are traditionally controlled by Mexican drug trafficking organisations.

Re: Is Legal Pot Crippling Mexican Drug Trafficking Organisations?

Mica
So if Mexico completes the anticipated legalization of marijuana, the same results will occur in Mexico?

Personally, I think no and that the data for the study is skewed.

Just one persons opinion.  I am neutral on marijuana legalization, but curious as to the opinions of B.B. members on the topic?

Re: Is Legal Pot Crippling Mexican Drug Trafficking Organisations?

No, they just move more meth and heroin, plus cocaine is back in a significant way.  Not to mention fentanyl.

They have been affected though, certainly.

Re: Is Legal Pot Crippling Mexican Drug Trafficking Organisations?

huero minuto
I second what J says.   They just move more hard dope.  Meth is dominant in my town now.  Many of the homeless are all thwacked on it, its practically free (at least a few hits, and then they're canning, fighting, and fucking all night long.  The fools get arrested, sent to county jail, and the supplier almost never gets popped.
    They just legalized weed so they can control the people more easily.  People who are stoned are mostly harmless.   The money is in the hard dope and i dont see them closing down any prisons any time soon.
Jstanothercoyo

Re: Is Legal Pot Crippling Mexican Drug Trafficking Organisations?

I agree with J,they will just move other stuff and harder drugs.