Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

aguiniga12
I was pretty reluctant on posting this here, but here it goes. I feel so bad that this woman had to go through such unimaginable humilitation. Time and time again the horrid treatment of indigenous people in Mexico makes the news and this is one of those cases, unfortunately.

SDL Free Translated:
Oaxaca, Oax. (adopted) .- With the pain of childbirth above, Irma arrived at the Health Center of Jalapa Diaz when it was still night, accompanied by her husband. The clinic was in partial unemployment, so the few who were working told them that he was about to give birth. The contractions had been hours and i was fully dilated.

The doctors gave him some questions, but did not treat her. After would argue that such as the indigenous Mazatec does not speak a perfect Spanish not understood. Or, as he had been attended by midwives during her pregnancy, had no clear what was going on. As outside, they decided that they didn't understand while neglecting the obvious: women needed help.

Irma Lopez Aurelio i hope even two hours. Try to get support of nurses and administrative staff, but no one's income.

So in the morning last Wednesday, when he had just quit the sun, he went to the garden of the health center, and there, without aid, gave birth to a child of 2 kilos 400 grams.

Only then the access.

The controversy

a citizen who was in the place took a picture of what was happening, just after childbirth. You can see the women squat, and the child on the lawn, even joined by the umbilical cord.

From your Facebook account, Eloy Pacheco Lopez explained: "After expect and demand attention during two hours gave birth in the courtyard of the hospital after being ignored by the staff under the direction of the course doctor Adrian Rene Cruz Cabrera" (sic).

The image was taken by the Portal Route 35 and began to spread on Twitter, where the comments were multiplied to reprove the proceed of the medical staff of the sanatorium and the secretary of Health, German Tenorio Vasconcelos.

The state government, in response, issued a bulletin in which he pointed out that ordered "an impartial investigation and to fund the medical staff of the Health Center of Jalapa de Díaz, in order to determine responsibilities with respect to the alleged medical malpractice in the process of care of the madam Irma Lopez Aurelio, who gave birth to a child the morning of Wednesday October 3".

However, the Health Secretary attempt that reflectors inconsistently toward other side. He said the government statement said: "assailed the fact that this unfortunate fact has been used for purposes of morbo through social networks, hurting the image of a woman and her child in first term, and in second, affecting the image of health workers".

Irritation of the official increased because the websurfer who climbed the photo also had been added in its publication: "Poll: you think that the government of the change is fulfilling its offer to improve the health system of Oaxaca." (sic).

The answers to the question induced were overwhelmingly against the government.

If that does not

staff that has worked in the Rural Health Center "C" of the municipality has given account of material and human shortcomings with which they must meet the women who had come to the attention of the delivery.

In the case of the rural clinic, this does not have enough screens of expulsion and often scarce medications such as oxytocin, a substance that is applied to start or accelerate the uterine concentrations.

Contrary to this information, the Secretary of Health reported, in a statement, that the woman was presented to the Health Center of Jalapa Diaz with delivery at term and advanced dilation, which caused the expulsion of the baby before the medical staff will enter the health facilities in order to receive attention.

He said that the incident occurred "dawn this Wednesday October 3" and not at noon as the Facebook user. The problem is that the day was October 3 Thursday.

"The lateness of the labor of women and, in addition to the lack of night staff at the Health Center of Jalapa Diaz provoked that the mother had her son in inadequate conditions".

He said that in accordance with the staff of the guard at the Health Center of Jalapa de Díaz, the Wednesday morning the women went accompanied by her husband to the medical unit to be served, for which he received precise instructions to prepare for childbirth, any time that presented a state of labor very advanced.

"Unfortunately, the women in his desperation he decided to leave toward the back of this space, where they eventually gave birth to her son, who reported good health status by registering a weight of 2 kg 400 grams and has a height of 48 centimeters".

In the meantime, assured that the newborn and his mother were treated immediately. The child is applied their vaccines and neonatal procedures, while the mother received the corresponding care.

Subsequently, in an interview with Millennium Television insisted that the staff of the center told him to wait for "outside while preparing the service", so they shifted to the back of the place, but "when they went to fetch her it could not be found".

The woman "has problems of understanding of the spanish", but "none of this is pretext," admitted, "although it is in the most remote areas of the country as in the Sierra Mazateca".

Questioned about an alleged work stoppage in the center, admitted that there is suspension of activities in some units, but stressed that the union has been "very responsible" to close only administrative offices and "for no reason" deny care to citizenship.

Other investigations, the

National Human Rights Commission (CNDH) initiated a complaint by the alleged violation to the human rights of the indigenous Mazatec.

The agency indicated that assistant inspectors went to the place to meet with the injured and their families, in addition to requesting information from the authority involved in order to collect evidence and integrate the dossier.

"The CNDH has reiterated that the right to health protection is a fundamental right for persons belonging to a group of indigenous people and particularly for pregnant women," says the text.

The Commission on Human Rights of Oaxaca, for its part, opened a complaint to investigate whether or not there was negligence in the case and requested information to the Secretariat of Health of the state, according to the EFE news agency.

The director of that agency, Barnabas Hernández, announced that morning you will travel staff of the ombudsman's office to that region, located about seven hours of the state capital, to locate the women and seek their version, as well as the testimonies of those who witnessed the events.

OAXACA, Oax. (apro).- Con los dolores del parto encima, Irma llegó al Centro de Salud de Jalapa de Díaz cuando aún era de noche, acompañada de su esposo. La clínica estaba en paro parcial, así que a los pocos que estaban trabajando les dijo que estaba a punto de dar a luz. Las contracciones ya llevaban horas y estaba plenamente dilatada.

Los médicos le hicieron algunas preguntas, pero no la atendieron. Después argumentarían que como la indígena mazateca no habla un español perfecto no la comprendieron. O que, como había sido atendida por parteras durante su embarazo, no tenían claro qué estaba pasando. Como fuera, decidieron que no entendían y obviaron lo evidente: la mujer necesitaba ayuda.

Irma López Aurelio esperó aún dos horas. Intentó conseguir apoyo de enfermeras y personal administrativo, pero nadie la ingresó.

Así que en la madrugada del pasado miércoles, cuando acababa de salir el sol, se fue al jardín del centro de salud, y ahí, sin ayuda, dio a luz a un niño, de 2 kilos 400 gramos.

Sólo entonces los socorrieron.

La polémica

Un ciudadano que estaba en el lugar tomó una imagen de lo que pasaba, justo tras el alumbramiento. Se ve a la mujer en cuclillas, y al niño en el césped, aún unido por el cordón umbilical.

Desde su cuenta de Facebook, Eloy Pacheco López explicó: “Tras esperar y exigir atención durante dos horas dio a luz en el patio del nosocomio tras ser ignorada por el personal bajo la dirección del supuesto médico Adrian René Cruz Cabrera” (sic).

La imagen fue retomada por el Portal Ruta 35 y comenzó a difundirse en Twitter, donde se multiplicaron los comentarios para reprobar el proceder del personal médico del sanatorio y del secretario de Salud, Germán Tenorio Vasconcelos.

El gobierno del estado, en respuesta, emitió un boletín en el que señala que ordenó “una investigación imparcial y a fondo al personal médico del Centro de Salud de Jalapa de Díaz, a fin de deslindar responsabilidades respecto a la presunta negligencia médica en el proceso de atención de la señora Irma López Aurelio, quien dio a luz a un niño la madrugada de este miércoles 3 de octubre”.

Sin embargo, el secretario de Salud intentó que los reflectores voltearan hacia otro lado. Dice el comunicado gubernamental: “Reprobó que este lamentable hecho haya sido utilizado con fines de morbo a través de las redes sociales, lastimando la imagen de la mujer y su hijo en primer término, y en segundo, afectando la imagen de los trabajadores de salud”.

La irritación del funcionario aumentaba porque el cibernauta que subió la foto también había agregado en su publicación: “SONDEO: Considera usted que el gobierno del CAMBIO está cumpliendo su ofrecimiento de mejorar el sistema de salud de Oaxaca?” (sic).

Las respuestas a la pregunta inducida eran abrumadoramente contra el gobierno.

Que sí que no

Personal que ha trabajado en el Centro de Salud Rural “C” del municipio ha dado cuenta de las carencias materiales y humanas con las que deben atender a las mujeres que acuden para la atención del parto.

En el caso de la clínica rural, ésta no cuenta con suficientes salas de expulsión y frecuentemente escasean medicamentos como la oxitocina, sustancia que se aplica para iniciar o acelerar las concentraciones uterinas.

Contrario a esta información, el secretario de Salud informó, a través de un comunicado, que la mujer se presentó al Centro de Salud de Jalapa de Díaz con parto a término y dilatación avanzada, lo que originó la expulsión del bebé antes de que el personal médico la ingresara a las instalaciones de salud para recibir atención.

Dijo que el hecho ocurrió “la madrugada de este miércoles 3 de octubre” y no al mediodía como refiere el usuario de Facebook. El problema es que el día 3 de octubre fue jueves.

“Lo avanzado del trabajo de parto de la mujer y sumado a la falta de personal nocturno en el Centro de Salud de Jalapa de Díaz provocaron que la madre tuviera a su hijo en condiciones inadecuadas”.

Detalló que de acuerdo con el personal de guardia del Centro de Salud de Jalapa de Díaz, la madrugada del miércoles la mujer acudió acompañada de su marido a esa unidad médica para ser atendida, para lo cual recibió indicaciones precisas para prepararse para el alumbramiento, toda vez que presentaba un estado de trabajo de parto muy avanzado.

“Desafortunadamente la mujer en su desesperación decidió salir hacia la parte posterior de este espacio, donde finalmente nació su hijo, quien presentó buen estado de salud registrando un peso de 2 kilos 400 gramos y una talla de 48 centímetros”.

Por lo pronto, aseguró que el recién nacido y su madre fueron atendidos de inmediato. Al menor se le aplicaron sus vacunas y los procedimientos neonatales, en tanto que la madre recibió los cuidados correspondientes.

Posteriormente, en entrevista con Milenio Televisión insistió en que el personal del centro le dijo que esperara “afuera mientras preparaban el servicio”, por lo que se desplazó a la parte de atrás del lugar, pero “cuando salieron a buscarla no la encontraron”.

La mujer “tiene problemas de entendimiento del español”, pero “nada de eso es pretexto”, admitió, “aunque sea en las zonas más apartadas del país como en la Sierra Mazateca”.

Interrogado sobre un supuesto paro de labores en el centro, admitió que hay suspensión de actividades en algunas unidades, pero destacó que el sindicato ha sido “muy responsable” al cerrar sólo oficinas administrativas y “por ningún motivo” negar la atención a la ciudadanía.

Otras investigaciones

La Comisión Nacional de los Derechos Humanos (CNDH) inició una queja por la presunta violación a los derechos humanos de la indígena mazateca.

El organismo indicó que visitadores adjuntos acudieron al lugar para entrevistarse con la agraviada y sus familiares, además de solicitar información a la autoridad involucrada a fin de recopilar evidencia e integrar el expediente.

“La CNDH ha reiterado que el derecho a la protección de la salud es un derecho elemental para las personas pertenecientes a un grupo indígena y particularmente para las mujeres en estado de gravidez”, dice el texto.

La Comisión de Derechos Humanos de Oaxaca, por su parte, abrió una queja de oficio para investigar si hubo o no negligencia en el caso y pidió información a la Secretaría de Salud del estado, según consignó la agencia EFE.

El director de ese organismo, Bernabé Hernández, anunció que mañana viajará personal de la defensoría a esa región, ubicada a unas siete horas de la capital estatal, para ubicar a la mujer y recabar su versión, así como los testimonios de quienes presenciaron los hechos.

http://www.proceso.com.mx/?p=354510

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

escierto
The government is nothing but a bunch of fucking worthless liars. There needs to be revolution where all these bastards are tortured and killed. Just like in the US - same thing with our fucking worthless government. We need revolution now.

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

@ aguiniga12.   I had the same reaction when I read the story yesterday in Rio Doce.  I had left the story in open tab on my pc while thinking about what to do with it.  I have been collecting incidents of discrimination against the indigenous for a future story and was trying to decide if this incident should go in that story.  But I am glad you posted it, it deserves to stand on its own.

Unless you were a black farm worker in rural Alabama in the 1950's, I am not sure we can fully appreciate the discrimination these people endure.

@escierto This incident has less to do with the authoritarian, elitist, and corrupt government of Mexico than with the deep seated bias and class structure based on the color of one's skin that is embedded in Mexican society as a whole.

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

Mexico-Watcher
Good post.  It adds to a better understanding of why Mexico has so many problems.... racism, being one of them.  Pobre Indios!

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

Thank you for posting this tragic infuriating story.  Vato sent it to me wondering if he should post on main board.  I think he should.  It gives an element not spoken about too much in the press and largely ignored in Mexico, probably because most Mexicans are so racist against dark skin and indigenous peoples, and their blatant racism has played a part in this so called drug war, in effect it has come home to kick them in the ass....

You should post em' up! And i found out about the story on fb today in the morning and let me just say that i was flabbergasted.

IMO classism with elements of racism is what brought this poor unfortunate happening to fruition.

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

aguiniga12
Dile que lo haga! And saludos Chivis!

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

dd

I made a map for vato and used a foto of Irma from another agency, and after I finished the map I realized Irma's skin color had been edited to a light "acceptable" color.  I was so pissed, even in telling a damn story of racism an additional act of racism was piled on.

I scraped the first map it and made a new image, you can see Irma on the mainboard post with the beautiful skin color of my maya buelita....and mine as well :)

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

he did!  and added a twist of convoluted reporting

we discussed if the photo should be on the second page instead of the first.

I Love-love-LOVE Vato's reply:

I personally see a miracle, not a spectacle. The shameful part  is that she was forced to give birth in the open like an animal

Yes!

Saludos,

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

aguiniga12
That's awesome madame chivis!

I've twice emailed you but no response in past month or two. have you been sick or on vacation or changed your email address?

just wondering cuz it'd be nice to see how your humanitarian efforts are going...

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

really?  I am sorry, put in the subject line your user name or I most likely not know who is writing and will not read it.  It is the same email but I use hushmail quite a bit.

I have been a bit ill and not working so many hours, I am scheduled for surgery on the 24th.

thanks for asking

I'm that college student that was wanting to get into UCSF med school who is now focusing on becoming an entrepreneur like elon musk, richard branson, etc. and changing the world for the better ;)

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

aguiniga12
And good luck on that surgery madame chivis; i myself was hospitalized with a case of diabetic ketoacidosis during the summer and almost died lol, but things do always get better though.

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

@aguiniga12  What Chivis meant was that when you email her write on your subject line of your email "this is aquiniga12 from BB".

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

1992dude
Racism is alive and wll in Mexico. Even here in the States among mexican and mexican-americans. I'd always get looks whenever I was with my ex who was a india from Guanajuato. If I had a dime for every time a light skinned mexicana made a comment about me being with her I'd be a millionaire. It was even more sad when it came to her family. "Ay que bueno que estas con un guerito ojala y sus bebe salga con ojos color tambien" "que bien que estas con el tus X novios estaban bien prietos"

So did the hospital get reprimanded? Probably not since Guerrero has a shortage of hospitals and doctors.

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

1992dude
And did the baby survive? I'd love a follow up story.

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

El Regio
escierto wrote
The government is nothing but a bunch of fucking worthless liars. There needs to be revolution where all these bastards are tortured and killed. Just like in the US - same thing with our fucking worthless government. We need revolution now.
No need because they will only be replaced by a new group of thieves. What Mexico needs is to recheck themselves on their morals and do away with much of their corrupt culture and ways.

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

jlopez
There have been several follow up stories in several newspapers. Also, there have been several videos posted of interviews by several news media. Summation:
1.    The baby is doing well, breast feeding. He is the third child and was christened Sabino or Salvador, depending on the source cited. The family, husband wife, two young children and newborn, lives in a one-room shack with brush walls and thatched roof, hammocks and blankets on the floor for sleeping, and an open fireplace for cooking. She and her husband say they don't need government help because he works in the fields.
2.    After the delivery on the grass outside the hospital, a nurse took the baby and the mother inside. They told her husband to buy certain medications and supplies, such as soap, disinfectant, towels, etc., which cost them 400 pesos.
3.    The hospital charged them for the birth and for the room as if it was a normal delivery. When they couldn't pay the 1500 pesos ($115.00), the hospital discharged them that night at 8:00 p.m. The couple left all the medications and supplies at the hospital; "they kept everything."
4.    Although the government argued that her privacy rights had been violated because her picture had been posted on social networks, the mother says that she is pleased that her picture was posted so that the world will know how they (indigenous people) are treated in those places.
5.    The government is still making all sorts of excuses, mainly, that all "her" problems are due to the fact she does not speak Spanish. However, in the video interviews, she is quite fluent in Spanish and easy to understand.
6.    It turns out that doctors and nurses only staff the center during the mornings from Monday through Friday, and the center closes on weekends.
7.   Irma, the mother, states that hospital personnel have warned her not to speak to the media, that if she does, she will be denied government assistance. She also says she was told by the hospital that her files have been burned because "she refused assistance" and that her government assistance will be terminated.
8.    This is not the first instance in which indigenous women have been denied childbirth services at that hospital. There were two such incidents a month ago.

Sources: Proceso, El Universal, El Diario de Juarez and El Diario de Coahuila, among others.

Re: Irma, the indigeneous Mazateca woman who gave birth on the lawn of a hospital

aguiniga12
I had already emailed her before, but I just never got the chance to tell her that i had made a bb account.
12