International Criminal Organizations

Common
What are some of the groups that work with Mexican cartels and what do they do for one another?

For instance, chemical precursors for drugs are bought in bulk from Eastern Asia, so I’m assuming that mostly Triads and possibly Yakuza(?) operate with Mexican cartel representatives in securing shipments.

I’ve heard older stories in the Knights Templar days, that they had invested into the black market organ trade which the Russian mafia supposedly had a demand for such a practice.  (details are lacking for me on this one)

I know that the modern day Italian mafia and Triad operating in the US/Canada will sometimes make large orders for things like cocaine/heroin through somebody who has established trust with a Mexican cartel.

Expanding on my original question, what are some other examples of how international criminal organizations make deals with Mexican cartels?

Furthermore, why does it seem like most of Columbia’s coke only goes to Mexico before it is dispersed into the rest of the world?  I understand the United States is a rich drug vacuum, but there’s A LOT more money to be made from the markets in Europe and Australia.  Maybe they already do and iam not seeing it?

Any random bits of information are appreciated!

Re: International Criminal Organizations

Podrido
This post was updated on .
This is a great question, I'm looking forward to see what comes of it.

In regards to the European market in particular, I believe cartels have been utilizing northwestern Africa as a springboard for several years now. I have heard that Mali and Morocco are used quite heavily in this regard.

One can also see on this map that Nigeria and South Africa are important spring boards into Europe as well, and that drugs typically flow directly from the manufacturer's in Peru and Colombia into Asia and Australia, rather than passing through Mexico first.

What is most interesting, albeit expected, is that drugs don't typically seem to pass from Mexico to Europe all that often. From a business perspective the Mexicans would just be one more toll booth to take if you're a syndicate in the Euro market, so it makes a lot more sense to simply go straight to the source. (I.e. Peru/Colombia.)

In terms of precursors this is the same reason Mexico goes straight to China, and I assume that there is a Triad link there indeed. I don't know a whole lot about Triads, but as far as the Yakuza go their semi-legitimacy with the government (among their own inner policies) leaves them fairly against drug trade of any kind. I believe there are only a handful of Yakuza organizations which engage in drug trafficking, and typically receive a lot of flack from police for it. (They have public offices in cities after all, and in instances of drug trafficking find these raided frequently, or locals will rat them out whereas they might otherwise tolerate their presence.)

When it comes to organizations from other countries dealing with Mexican DTO's, those which operate closest to their borders seem the most common. There are of course the 33,000 something gangs operating throughout the USA that serve as customers, as well as criminal organizations in Canada. The Hells Angels, United Nations Gang, etc. However, not all of these gangs deal with Mexican groups, the West End Gang for example, I believe, gets it products directly from Colombia for the most part.

While not really deal makers, you might also be interested to read about the various tumbar organizations in Nicaragua and Panama which loot drug shipments en route for Mexico. (the gang called 'Bagdad' from Panama, which was once part of a larger federation oddly known as the Unión Soviética, comes to mind.)

https://www.insightcrime.org/panama-organized-crime-news/bagdad-profile/
Just a lurker.

Re: International Criminal Organizations

Common
Great reply!  the map is a great answer.  originally came to make this post because A)I could not find this information with ease, there was no collection handy at least.  B)Couldn’t find a map lol.  Thank you!

That’s what I sort of figured with the Yakuza as well.  (Unrelated sort of, but I’ve seen numerous statistics that places Yakuza as the top earners out of all international organized crime.. by about 60 billion USD more then the #2 seat.  As you said, they’ve reached a point that rarely any criminal organization ends up making it to — assimilation into government).

Moving forward:

I once read an article here a few years ago that talked about a Mexican cartel having coordinated something with a middle-eastern terrorist regime (Hezbollah maybe?).  It was not the more recent event of ISIS burning cocaine bricks either.

There was also the recent murders of the Israeli-traffickers  over a deal gone wrong, supposedly with the CJNG.

I would not be surprised if every organization in the world somehow had a few ties to Mexico.  As it’s lawlessness continues to win the day, the criminals will flock.  Just like a war zone.  In fact It is a war zone, the military has been deployed there in the higher side of 10’s of thousands of active deployment for the past 13+ years.

Crime flourishes where there is combat.  Especially the kind of neo-gorilla warfare Mexico is experiencing.  Which frighteningly, has criminal organizations taking bits of wisdom from every successful prolonged war strategy used since the dawn of time and forming it all into one big loss for the security forces, Military, and increasingly the citizens of Mexico.

Re: International Criminal Organizations

Podrido
I think I've mentioned this in a few threads at this point, but I really find Japan's example very interesting! Most people would be opposed to the approach of legitimizing a criminal organization, but Japan has one of the lowest murder rates in the world and the Yakuza are fast disappearing, they literally struggle to find members despite being one of the most well known 'type' organizations in the world.

Whereas basically every nation that has picked up arms against any sort of criminal group has had the opposite result.

Also yes, it was the Lebanese Shia group Hezbollah.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5084587/hezbollahs-canadian-money-laundering-ops/

Interestingly enough, I don't know how much this has changed over the years but it used to be that Israeli organized crime was strongly connected to the Russian mafia. Many leaders and members of the Solntsevskaya Bratva have been caught attempting to take refuge in Israel as a result of their Jewish ancestry. Given your previous comment about Russian connections to the Knights Templar and also Israeli figures ending up on the wrong side of CJNG weapons, this tracks, I'd think?

I think you're quite right, crime does flourish in conflict zones. But it must also be difficult to do long distance, large scale business with the majority of Mexican DTO's given their constant state of flux. Factional heads are constantly changing, organizations pop up and are just as soon dismantled. Any deals you make with someone who has been murdered may not be honoured by whoever succeeds them. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they are approached for other services though, like the training of hitmen, arms supplying, money laundering, communications equipment/training, etc.
Just a lurker.

Re: International Criminal Organizations

Ciro
The ndrangheta sometimes works with mexican cartels.  I would say the European market is dominated by the Colombians via Spain and Africa.  Also be aware that the mafia in Canada is very different from the mafia in the US. Its at a much higher level but they arent Canadian citizens its ran by italian fugitives.