Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

Mica
Insight Crime
Mica - He has a birthday in 7 days, what will occur between now and then?

Dámaso López Núñez, alias "El Licenciado", is a prominent figure in the Sinaloa Cartel. Authorities believe he was close to legendary captain Joaquin " El Chapo " Guzman, who could replace him as leader of the cartel after he was captured in January 2016 and extradited to the United States a year later.

History
Born on February 22, 1966 in the state of Sinaloa, El Licenciado studied law at the university and then began working for the prosecutor's office in his home state. In 1999, he became a senior official in the penitentiary system administration, which focused on maximum security institutions, including the Puente Grande penitentiary in Jalisco, where El Chapo was detained.

According to sources from the Mexican and United States police, El Licenciado established a network of corrupt prison guards and was personally responsible for organizing the escape of Puente Grande from El Chapo on January 19, 2001. A few months after Guzman's escape, The Licensee resigned his position in
Puente Grande.

After the escape, El Licenciado joined the Sinaloa Cartel and gradually became one of Guzman's closest allies. Mexican journalist Anabel Hernández wrote that "during 15 years of service to El Chapo, [the Licenciado] constructed his own criminal structure, which included the purchase of authorities through large bribes and a large network in Mexico, the United States, Central and South America, Dedicated to drug trafficking ".

El Chapo was recaptured by Mexican authorities in February 2014, and reportedly handed over his leadership over the Sinaloa Cartel to El Licenciado while he was incarcerated. El Chapo managed to escape from prison once again in July 2015, but was captured in January 2016 and extradited to the United States exactly one year later.

The decline of El Chapo 's power in the Sinaloa Cartel and the resulting power vacuum have given El Licenciado the opportunity to increase his illegal activities and fight against rival groups for control of territories and drug routes formerly run by El Chapo.

Criminal activities
The United States authorities have accused El Licenciado of being deeply involved in the drug trafficking activities of the Sinaloa Cartel. In January 2013, the Office of Foreign Assets Control of the United States Department of the Treasury (OFAC) sanctioned The Licentiate for his " important role in international drug trafficking, " claiming that he was responsible for sending several tons of narcotics from Mexico to the United States. In March 2013, federal prosecutors in the United States accused El Licenciado of charges of drug trafficking and money laundering, stating that the proceeds of his criminal activities amounted to about US $ 280 million.

Geography
The Licensee is originally from Sinaloa, and is believed to operate in his home state as well as in Baja California Sur. Reports indicate that he has also maintained connections in drug producing countries such as Colombia and Peru, and also in transit countries such as Panama.

Allies and enemies
Evidence suggests that El Licenciado is looking for ways to fill the power vacuum left by the capture of El Chapo. In February 2017, Mr. allegedly tried to assassinate the leader of another faction of the Sinaloa cartel, Ismael " El Mayo " Zambada, as well as two of the sons of El Chapo, but the attack was unsuccessful. The incident makes the authorities believe that El Licenciado is fighting for a place at the top of the Sinaloa Cartel, which would put him in conflict with another faction of the organisation.
The son of El Licenciado, Dámaso López Serrano, alias "Mini Lic", is reportedly following in the footsteps of his father. Reports indicate that Mini Lic began getting involved in drug trafficking from an early age and began leading a faction of Sinaloa Cartel youth, who called themselves "Anthrax."

Perspectives
According to reports, after being captured for the second time in February 2014, El Chapo stated that El Licenciado would be his successor. Captured once again in January 2016 and finally extradited to the United States only a year later, El Chapo 's statement has not yet been fulfilled. In fact, rival factions of the Sinaloa Cartel are facing each other, while other major narco-trafficking organisations in Mexico are trying to enter territories that were formerly under the control of the Sinaloa Cartel. In these conditions, it is difficult to evaluate the future of the Licentiate in the Sinaloa Cartel. However, El Licenciado's attempt to assassinate El Mayo and two sons of El Chapo shows that the struggle for power within the Sinaloa Cartel has not yet ended.

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

Cuidado
Very interesting if he really indeed tried to kill Mayo.  I doubt he would have attempted that if Mayo was still as strong as he used to be.  Makes me wonder if Mayo is losing his influence.  The next few weeks will be very interesting to see how this plays out.  Talk about biting the hands that fed you...

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

El Nayaloense
Pretty sure he resigned before Chapo escaped

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

I think he will be either killed or extradicted  whoever gets to him 1st and pretty quick but God help Mexico if either 1 happens, the level of violence will go through the roof and Mexico will be on display for the world to see.

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

Mexico-Watcher
This post was updated on .
canadiana wrote
I think he will be either killed or extradicted  whoever gets to him 1st and pretty quick but God help Mexico if either 1 happens, the level of violence will go through the roof and Mexico will be on display for the world to see.
I agree with you, except for one thing...: We BB visitors and posters have been aware of Mexico's extreme levels of violence for years.  Many of the violent incidents were newsworthy but our US mainstream media (MSM) ignored them or just gave passing notice.

IMO: The vast majority of Americans are "kept" ignorant of what "really" goes on in Mexico (and related other violent places). This in itself is a story that could be titled : "The Killing Fields Next Door: How the Mainstream Media Failed America."

 My point is that the levels of violence in Mexico may rise exponentially  "for the world to see" as you suggest, but the MSM will behave as before....NADA!

So, Mejico: Go on, kidnap, torture, rape, shoot, decapitate, dismember, flay, calcinate, drown, dissolve,  make caldo or pozole and rest assured the MSM will basically ignore it..... it's as if our MSM thinks Americans can't handle the truths of Mexico's fucked and violent situation.

I've said it many times before, "Thank God for Borderland Beat and the Internet" and for books, because otherwise we wouldn't know "caca" about what really" goes on in Mejico!

Truckfull of bodies- Boca del Rio, Veracruz massacre September 2011.

 truckload of Executed women   July 2007

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

I was skeptical that Damaso would try and kill Mayo, but Insight Crime is a respected group.  Still amazed that Damaso would go against the power of Mayo.  Damaso has got to have know something we don't yet, why rock the boat?

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

DarkDirkDiggler

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

Mica
I hear you, but who would have believed that #701 billionaire drug lord Guzman would be busted in a $35 hotel room in Mazaltan with 1 guard or a guy named Senior Tanks would get shot to death in a $6K car?  Who believed that Chapitos would get kidnapped so easily in a resort area restaurant?  The real gossip is how these guys roll around with 100 people 24/7.

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

deelucky1
This just shows how insight crime and how their journalism has gotten lazy using anabel hernandez as a guide and repeating what already has been said that sounds ridiculous and makes no sense he doesn't control badiraguato for starters .

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

ToPHeR
Dee,

Come hang out with us in Cabo in a few weeks

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

Ok where? Meet you at the nowhere bar? Those bodies where claimed by la familia michoacana not dumbaso!

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

ToPHeR
Lol. You're funny. Pick a place! We can keep it gringo and try Cabo wabo

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

Mica
If you two meet, you need to post a picture and blur the faces in true narco style.

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

ToPHeR
I messaged ML but he won't respond

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

ToPHeR
I'm serious. You wanna meet up?

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

deelucky1
Yes lets go to where the women are cheap and the beer flows like wine!

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

ToPHeR
Gotta warn you it's my honeymoon though! She's cool with it though. You smoke some MOTA? Even better! Anyone else down to meet up. First week of March

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

JAGL
first of all hes bitrhday alread y passed LOL. the part of mayo and chapos doesnt make sense yeah like mayo would go.. and i t had to be neutral place. and must be guarded.. not saying it didnt happen just saying.. its odd.. for all of you that think mayos done... up untill now hes way over the top of anyone right now. and el lic  doesnt stand a chance againt mayo... if things doesnt changed for mayo hell still be on top of everyone.
it feels akward and in my psodition i just wish the best for both guzman and lopez

Re: Insight Crime: Dámaso López Núñez, alias 'The Licenciado'

bajadrone-3