Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

Siskiyou_Kid

Serafin Zambada, with his brother Mayito Gordo, taken from his Facebook page

 Could Chapo Guzman be Making a Move Against His Sinaloa Cartel Partner?

Written by David C. Martínez-Amador*

The death, imprisonment and targeting of several members of Ismael "El Mayo" Zambada's faction of the Sinaloa Cartel points to a disturbing possibility for Mexico's underworld: Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman may be making a play for his partner's territory.

In late November 2013, US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents captured El Mayo's son -- Serafin Zambada -- in Arizona. The United States had been tracking his movements for months and had captured several of his associates, who cooperated with law enforcement in the lead-up to Zambada's arrest, according to an account by Proceso.

On December 18, Mexican authorities reportedly killed Gonzalo Inzunza Inzunza, alias "Macho Prieto," in Sonora state. Inzunza was El Mayo's premier lieutenant on the northern border of Mexico.

In late December, in what may have been the biggest strike against El Mayo yet, Dutch authorities apprehended Jose Rodrigo Arechiga Gamboa, alias "El Chino Anthrax."

All of this comes just months after Mexican security forces killed Manuel Torres Felix, alias "M1," another top enforcer for El Mayo.

Other significant but previously unknown figures, such as Jose Guadalupe Tapia Quintero, are also suddenly being targeted by the United States. The US Treasury Department placed Tapia Quintero on its "kingpin" list earlier this month.

Taken together, the events are a powerful blow to El Mayo's operations and could represent major changes in the Mexican underworld.
InSight Crime Analysis

When someone says a criminal organization is protected by a political power, they accept there is a level of tolerance from the federal authorities with respect to corruption, violence, trafficking and other criminal activities. It is as if there is a protective wall, a bubble that shields them from external stimuli.

In the Mexican context, such ties have been woven from the different levels of power (from the federal to the municipal) for different criminal groups. We assume that achieving "good governance" in the Mexican context requires an agreement between these various levels of power and the criminal groups.

For nearly twelve years, two straight National Action Party (PAN) governments seemed to favor the Sinaloa Cartel criminal organization. The proof was there to see: Joaquin Guzman's escape from maximum security prison; the expansion of the Sinaloa Cartel in the south of the country (taking over Acapulco); displacing the Juarez and Tijuana Cartels from their traditional strongholds and the Amado Carillo and volatile Arellano Felix families along with them.

During President Felipe Calderon's six years (2006-2012), two aspects are worth noting: the largest concentration of military forces was in territorial areas with a presence of enemies of the Sinaloa Cartel; and the Sinaloa Cartel had significantly less members arrested and imprisoned than its rivals. Suffice to say that no criminal organization prospers without some level of political tolerance.

But the current presidency of Enrique Peña Nieto looks different. The release of retired General Thomas Angeles (Deputy Secretary of Defense in 2005) and the dissolution of charges against another five officers who were arrested during the past administration for alleged ties to the Beltran Leyva Organization (BLO) -- among them three generals -- suggests the president's Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) may have a new favorite. This is not too much of a surprise since it was the BLO that operated with near total impunity in the State of Mexico while Peña Nieto was governor prior to launching his bid for the presidency.

Some analysts assume that Peña Nieto cannot modify the security strategy inherited from his PAN predecessor because doing so would create a wedge between his and the Obama administration, a serious concern for a country so reliant on the United States. Continuing the current security policy (putting aside the fact that current security structures were put in place by Calderon) essentially means going after the most violent cartels and keeping the lines of communication open with Joaquin Guzman, who is considered a rational, smart and flexible player in the underworld.

In this context, how can we understand Serafin Zambada and Chino Anthrax's arrests, and the deaths of Macho Prieto and M1? These deaths and arrests certainly weaken the military structure of the Pacific Cartel (El Mayo's faction), which is the most important operation in the Sinaloa Cartel or the Federation, as it is more rightly known.

So this is less an attack on the Sinaloa Cartel and more an attack on El Mayo Zambada. Remember: Ismael Zambada Jr. is already in prison in Chicago; Zambadita Jr. (Serafin Zambada) is joining him; Macho Prieto was one of Mayo's most important military lieutenants, and while Chino Anthrax worked for both factions, he was really more important to El Mayo.

If we add to that list Ignacio Coronel, who is presumed dead; Ines Coronel, a major operator and father-in-law of Guzman Loera who was captured in April 2013; and Tapia Quintero, a deputy to El Mayo who the US Treasury put on its blacklist, it seems that Joaquin Guzman is marking his territory even further to the north and west and once again using his federal power to break an alliance, this time the one with his long time partner, El Mayo.

Maybe Chapo wants all business for himself, and if he's already pushed around other rival organizations using political power, why not make an alliance with a reluctant partner in the current government?

*David Martinez-Amador is University Professor of the course of blood rituals in secret societies, cults, sects, fraternities and mafia.

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-analysis/chapo-guzman-making-move-against-sinaloa-cartel-partner

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

Siskiyou_Kid
Frankly, Insight Crime is a few months late and a suitcase full of dollars short on this story..............................

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

El_Cuatro_Veinte
I don't know, they're pretty much blood brothers. The recent onslaught on Mayo is really his people getting sloppy.

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

Siskiyou_Kid
It sounds more like Mayo cleaning house, but who knows........................

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

durrr
Vicente zambada niebla is in jail in Chicago,  not Ismael Jr... there is no Ismael Jr to my knowledge

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

Siskiyou_Kid
Actually, Mayito Gordo is named Ismael.

However, you're correct about Insight Crime's error in calling Vicentillo Ismael Jr.

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

ToPHeR
Chino is still in Dutch custody right?

Also, why no mention of El R5?

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

Siskiyou_Kid
Yeah, very little news on Chino. I would have thought he would be deported from Holland within days.

The failure to mention R5 or the allegations that Macho Prieto was off the reservation [maybe working with BLO] is another shortcoming of this article. Stale info that's incomplete.

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

El Doble J
El R5 is Chapo's people from Sonora GN who got killed not Mayo's peeps. Also, if I read correctly Dutch law requires a 90 grace period in which the defendant has the right to fight to halt his extradition. So I would give it until early April to hear more on Chino Antrax case. Have any of you heard the new corrido from Jorge Santa Cruz called "El Consentido de la Palma?" Once again the truce is mentioned between BLO and Chapo and apparently it goes further to saying he backs the Beltran and Beltran back up Guzman.

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

P@RR@ND3RO
Ive been saying it for the longest that beltranes and chapo have a truce.  H wont have any other choice but to line up again and be under chapo and mayos orders. Chapo isidron aint even i. Sinaloa anymore, he roaming around the little plazas he has in nayarit, monterrey and a small portion in mazatlan.

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

I think evrybody has been taking hits how come they didnt mention chapos.people that got  caught  macho prieto was.riding solo at the end manuel was working with el chapo dea is watching  with the scope from the border home land security has the technolgy where  your face is recognized in their data base on camera parking enforcement and.law enforcement use the same system on your license plate with a camera.in the front bumper your fake passport is not gonna help you like el pinche chapo gots connections in  holland this is just bits and peices  of something that has been said before copy and paste jou1nalism at its finest  there is some sirious infighting going on thats for sure and nothing new all cartels have.it want to hear somthing with supporting facts

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

when and if mochomo gets out its gonna be intresting to see what chapo isidro decides to do hes been pretty quiet he hates cds with a passion maybe chapo isidro got slapped around when blo and cds the beginning does anybody know who is he loyal to el mochomo or el botas I see a split if this happens i see why beltranes esparagoza guzmanes truce their family chapo isidro  where does he stand in this I can only think loyalty pero ese lion ya crecio melena

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

deelucky1
the arizona border  aint puente grande like chapo is gonna pass by .in a baby cariage damaso wearing a dress pretending to be.his mom

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

Maddy

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

durrr
Banned User
@NAJ...

im pretty sure I was the only one who noticed that INSIGHT CRIME had not dotted their i's and crossed their t's so your welcome!! and I DID say "to my knowledge"

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

deelucky1
insight crime should blame that on their interns for doing that with the letters someone has to take the heat tottally agree

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

aliasrojo
This is common within el mayos structure. These specultions where going on back when Jt got captured, chalo killed and not to mention Raul meza ontiverios. He tends to clean his structure when shit hits the fan.

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

Pepe24
Interesting read, but I still find it hard to believe El Chapo would benefit much going against his long time partner. El Chapo strikes me as someone who would rather keep the business a family affair rather than total dominance. What could be his motivation? More money? It doesnt seem likely..

In this business trust is everything, and having close allies like Mayo is a great asset. Why would he forget that? I think it's one of the fundamental that makes CDS last as long as they have. Their multi-structure in command does not create a lot of internal struggle for power that could split the organization.

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

Tijuano
Pepe24 wrote
Interesting read, but I still find it hard to believe El Chapo would benefit much going against his long time partner. El Chapo strikes me as someone who would rather keep the business a family affair rather than total dominance. What could be his motivation? More money? It doesnt seem likely..

In this business trust is everything, and having close allies like Mayo is a great asset. Why would he forget that? I think it's one of the fundamental that makes CDS last as long as they have. Their multi-structure in command does not create a lot of internal struggle for power that could split the organization.
He was partners with CDJ and still went to war with them killing Rodolfo Carrillo, he has invaded plazas everywhere, if more money(or power) wasn´t motivation for him, there would be no war in Mexico right now, at least not at the level it is.

I doubt Chapo is making a move against Mayo(yet), but I don´t doubt he will sooner or later. The Beltranes took care of him in jail and look at all the mess in the last years in Sinaloa.

Remember CDS had already gotten truces with every cartel and they have broken all of them, Tijuana, Juarez, Beltranes, CDG(Osiel´s time).

Mayo is more of a negotiator than Chapo.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: Insight Crime: Could Joaquín Guzmán Be Making a Move Against Ismael Zambada?

aliasrojo
Also I don't think it will benefit el chapo in any way. El mayo has a huge amount of political connections which is why he has remained untouched for the over three decades he has been in business. Not to mention el azul being his godfather, I'm pretty sure if mayo gets knocked it will be a huge blow to el azul. The three main heads and two of them are closer than the third. Makes you think, will azul back el chapo or his godson. The way I see it, its self explained.
123