In two weeks , a judge will decide on extradition of El Chapo

In two weeks , a judge will decide on extradition of El Chapo

elgordo

MEXICO CITY (approved) .- The extradition hearing to decide Joaquin El Chapo Guzman United States, will take place on September 26, said Andrés Granados, lawyer capo.
In an interview with Radio Formula, he noted that the hearing will be held at 10:40 a.m at the Thirteenth Court of the City of Mexico, " to see what the judge determines. There we are going to see if he will be (extradited to the United States) and yet we would still have the opportunity to request a review of the shelters, "he said.
At the meeting, he added, will be held constitutional hearings of the two shelters, one requested by the Court of Texas and the other by the Court of California against the extradition of Guzman Loera.
And while he said, the agreement will be declared the next day, "the day itself can know" if the leader of the Sinaloa Cartel will be extradited and if the judge's decision is that, the appeal of the review remains of the shelters before a Collegial Court so El Chapo would not leave the country immediately.

The review before an Appellate Court would take between a month and a half and three months, "all depends on the status of work there and have to review the situation because it is Joaquin Guzman Loera very well."
However, he warned, "we do not know if they will handle politically because of this government we can expect everything and to improve their image (...) we hope that the Supreme Court appeals the case," he confided.
He explained that if the boss gets the protection of justice to avoid extradition, the prosecution could not insist on it but, he insisted, "other political issues, there is interest by the US government, you can continue to pressure the Mexican government to it shipped and perhaps seek other extradition requests appear in the United States. "
Granados took the report that the situation in El Chapo in the criminal has not changed. It's wrong, isolated, does not leave the yard like the other inmates, you can not talk to anyone, their conjugal visit every 15 days and with his lawyers once a week, and said they are waiting to be returned to the Altiplano .

http://www.proceso.com.mx/454908/en-dos-semanas-juez-decidira-sobre-extradicion-de-el-chapo-abogado

Re: In two weeks , a judge will decide on extradition of El Chapo

jlopez
There are a couple of errors in the post, some probably the result of computer translation, but there is a clear error in the original APRO/Proceso article written by "Staff" (Redaccion). First the news service is "Apro", not "approved".

But the more serious error in the original article is the statement that the "shelters" that are the subject of the hearing were requested by U.S. courts. "Shelters" is clearly a translation error; "amparos" are judicial appeals provided by Mexican law that allow a defendant to challenge actual or potential government actions that affect him.

The original article is wrong. First, U.S. courts do not have legal standing to request "amparos" in a Mexican court. Second, it was Chapo who requested "amparos" to challenge extradition requests that were based on indictments issued by U.S. courts.  Thus, the hearing that the article refers to is the first step in Chapos appeal to challenge U.S. efforts to extradite him. Since this court's ruling can itself be appealed, the process will likely take months, even years, to resolve.

Re: In two weeks , a judge will decide on extradition of El Chapo

elgordo
Yes was on lunch so just did a quick Google translation so sorry for the translation of the article. Once I get the time I'll try and translate it properly

Re: In two weeks , a judge will decide on extradition of El Chapo

jlopez
Not really your fault, Gordo. I think the Proceso writer does not understand amparos. In a nutshell, a U.S. court issues an indictment (criminal charges) against a defendant who is in another country. Based on that indictment, the U.S. DOJ, through channels, requests extradition of the suspect under the terms of the treaty currently in place. In response to the request from the U.S., the Mexican government applies for an order allowing extradition. The defendant appeals the request for extradition and may appeal if the government obtains an order. In practice, the whole process is very complicated and depends as much on politics and diplomacy as on legalities.

Re: In two weeks , a judge will decide on extradition of El Chapo

and $$ perhaps or intimidation?