I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

The Oregon State Police released this photo showing 10 kilos of cocaine seized in a traffic stop on I-5 near Central Point.

Alyssa Panziera and Vincent Michael Mendez

MEDFORD -- A traffic stop on Interstate 5 near Central Point, Oregon resulted in the seizure of 23 pounds of cocaine, the Oregon State Police said today.

Troopers found 10 individually wrapped kilos, the equivalent of about 23 pounds, in a concealed compartment after a Chevrolet Sebring sedan was stopped for speeding in the northbound lanes at 10:24 p.m. Tuesday night.

The driver, 22-year-old Vincent Michael Mendez of Spring Valley, Calif., and a passenger, 21-year-old Alyssa Panziera, of Salinas, Calif., were booked into the Jackson County Jail on drug trafficking charges.

The cocaine had a street value of approximately $500,000, according to the Oregon State Police.

http://www.thedailycourier.com/articles/2013/12/04/breaking_news_free/news001.txt

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

_The Magician_
Kab

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

Kab
Funny thing is that I know the some of the Panziera family around here.  They are big into the AG business.

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

You'd have to at least think maybe it wasn't an incidental traffic stop, if they found it in a hidden compartment, or they were really nervous with out of state tags, and the troopers knew better.

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

Siskiyou_Kid
It sounds a lot like a controlled stop involving the feds.

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

Unless it was a controlled bust by the feds, the passenger [Panziera] will be kicked loose, and if the driver pleads out in state court and he doesn't have priors, he'll get 16-24 months and be out in under a year.

He or his family will have to work off the loss, but a legitimate seizure usually doesn't involve retribution, unless he snitches.

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

Her bail is $40k and his is $45k, which means it would cost $8,500 to spring both of them, and the state would return all but $850 after their arraignment, but they'll likely be arraigned and OR'ed in a few days, because Jackson County can't afford the $50/day it costs to hold them, and there's no federal hold listed. If they were in federal custody their mugshots would be unavailable.

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

Bones
Siskiyou you are an incredible wealth of knowledge & it does not go unappreciated

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

nacho

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

Thanks for the compliment. I just happen to know of a similar case tried in the same county, although Oregon is fairly lenient statewide, unless the case gets picked up by the feds.

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

elcienporcien

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

Siskiyou_Kid
Even if it's federal, I don't believe a first offense carries a mandatory minimum for small amounts like 10 kilos, and snitches are just cut loose.

Now, if you're just about anywhere east of California, you're probably screwed. I have a close friend serving a long sentence in Illinois after he was pulled over in a farm county 80 miles west of Chicago with a load last Spring, and it wasn't even that big, and he didn't have any priors.

In Chicago, he'd probably be on probation.

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

jakesnake
Just some background about this area:

It's near Medford, home of a state police station, and is the first city after you cross the Oregon border.  There are hundreds of miles of empty forest here, and very few options for people going north.

As a result, this area is a police shooting gallery for anything going north.  And, if you are hispanic, you are a prime target to be checked out.

Hell, if you are a hispanic from Salinas or Gilroy or anywhere around there, you are a prime target.

Near Medford, I've been hispanic families pulled over and being searched by 4 cop cars, with every single belonging of theirs on the grass.

There are quite a few busts that happen in this stretch of road and it makes news all the time...but this one is indeed big.

The other shooting gallery is located around Redding, about 175 miles to the south, but that's another story.

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

Siskiyou_Kid
They've been busting quite a few young Mexican women on the Greyhound bus coming from the Central Valley with 10 kilos or more of heroin, based on "tips" in the Redding-Medford corridor in the last year.

I believe these "tips" are DEA controlled busts. In one case a young Mexican male plead out right away, and  then the feds took up his case and he got 5 years.

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

Maddy

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

elcienporcien

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

@NAJ-If you appear at your arraignment, they nearly always return 90% of your bail. Bail bondsmen and bounty hunters are both outlawed in Oregon, so this is handled by the state and they charge a 10% fee. They usually require proof of some kind of assets, even an auto, from the person bailing out the defendant, and if they don't appear at trial the state AG's office can go after the assets, and the state police issue a warrant.

I have a relative who was facing 6 years in Oregon for growing weed and dealing coke, with multiple priors and firearms, and he failed to show for sentencing and fled to Las Vegas. When the Vegas cops picked him up for growing indoors, they refused to extradite, unless Oregon came and got him, and Oregon declined to get him, and the Vegas case was also tossed..........

@ElCienPorcien-Three years ago we had a group of Michoacanos with 40,000 plants on mountains literally within sight of my home, and they usually flee when the birds land, but these young men and a few women actually flagged down the BLM and National Forest law enforcement, because they were stranded in the wilderness with no idea what to do. Most of them were deported.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/oregon/State-feds-both-review-Oregon-marijuana-case-102562334.html

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

nacho

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

Siskiyou_Kid
That is really awful that your relative spent that much time for nonviolent "crime".

My family moved out West specifically because of the lenient drug laws, after it started getting too expensive to pay off the judges in Chicago.

Another thing about Oregon is that the amount paid for bail is actually 10% of what the bail is set at, and then the state keeps 10% of that amount.

The amount taken out is called a "court administrative cost", and in some counties the fee is 15% of the 10% amount paid to bail out, as is pointed out in this article.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/paying-up-the-rules-of-bail-in-oregon/article_715b757e-b5a5-5520-addb-971f62563620.html

Re: I-5 traffic stop = 23 lbs of cocaine

Siskiyou_Kid
Another issue is that in rural Oregon counties, there's no jail space, so after less than 24 hours [unless it's a weekend] a judge almost always OR's a defendant with zero bail, unless the case is especially violent, or there's a federal hold.

I'm surprised these two are still locked up 2 days after their booking date, so I don't think there's a federal hold because in those cases they don't usually list bail amounts. It could be that their attorney told them if they bail out, the feds will be waiting outside to rearrest them. That happens all the time, and sometimes it's really petty cases.