How to avoid being kidnapped in mexico.

Re: How to avoid being kidnapped in mexico.

SteelDragon
The story that I was referring to happened about 15 miles from Juarez, and the cartel that returned the vehicle was "La Linea", so I am not a liar...

Re: How to avoid being kidnapped in mexico.

@  sadisto.  The info about another story with similar facts is interesting.  I hope you find it and post it or post a link to it.  But that does not make dragon a liar.  There could have been more than one instance with similar facts.

Who knows?  Maybe CDG had issued orders right after the Z's split that it's people were to assist anyone victimized by the Z's.  Stranger thing have happened.

My point is you are violating BB's rules on comments by making a personal attack on dragon by calling him a liar.  Please refrain from personal attacks.

It's fine to present your arguments and let the readers make their own decisions, but don't call people names.

Thanks

Re: How to avoid being kidnapped in mexico.

SteelDragon
If your a tourist and you happen to find yourself being kidnapped, I have a few tips that will maybe save your life. I have been kidnapped a total of 2 times, and obviously I was able to escape both times.

everyone is born with a certain amount of luck, some have more than others, but everyone will eventually run out. And we all know what happens when our luck runs out..

1. If you are a tourist, you will be targeted and followed before you are kidnapped, maybe even for a few days. They will monitor how much you are spending,what you are doing and who is with you. If it is a group of males, they will send beautiful women to seduce them, and lead them into a trap. If it is a group of women, they will take more caution, and maybe charge them a large bill or extort them in some other way. They usually wont kidnap american women tourist, because the U.S has no tolerance for that. But remember some sicarios do not care and they will kidnap anything that moves, so have caution.

2. If you are kidnapped they will search your cell phone or computer for images and information so they can determine how much to charge for ransom.This is why I said delete messages or images, because if you have pictures of your nice cars or house, they will charge you alot, because you can sell those things to pay.

3. If you are kidnapped with strangers, do not worry about them, just worry about yourself. You may feel obligated to stay and help the others, but if you do you will miss your chance at escaping.

4. The car ride to the "hide out" is probably the best chance you have at reasoning with your captors. Do not mention your family or children, they could care less.

5. If you are seated by the door, do everything possible to open it and jump out, even if you are traveling at a high speed.

6. If you are seated in the middle seat ( Like I was), and you realize their will be no reasoning with your captors, then I would suggest you do what ever is necessary to take the weapon away from the person sitting next to you. Most of these sicarios will be drugged so their reaction times will be delayed, so before doing this make sure you have some knowledge about weapons because you will only have a few seconds to use it.

7. If you make it to the "Hide out", then you will most likely be interrogated and tortured. A finger or an ear may be cut off, so that your family will know they are serious. At this point reasoning with them is useless. But do not lose hope.

8. Usually your family will only have a few days to pay, the kidnappers will not keep you long for fear the military will try to find you. My advice, if your family is contacted by kidnappers immediately call the F.B.I and the media, do not wait. They can pressure your kidnappers into releasing you.

Re: How to avoid being kidnapped in mexico.

_The Magician_

Re: How to avoid being kidnapped in mexico.

mofle619
This list is ridiculous.  I travel to Mexico a few times a week during the day and at night.  Yea, you might be given a hard time some times by local cops if you are doing something stupid but if you are doing something stupid in the first place then be prepared for this.  If you are of the paranoid type then this list can be used just about anywhere in the world.  Africa, South and Central America, Europe, and Asia.  Almost every country has their share of crazy people look at Spain with the ETA terrorist group.  They can set off bombs and kill innocents at any given moment.  They have also kidnapped people in the past as well.

It is all good, whoever has this type of mentality can just stay home and live in fear for the rest of their lives in suburban USA, or Canada, or Germany, or South Korea, or any other "safe" country.  Me, on the other hand, will continue to visit friends and family in Mexico, travel to Spain, travel to Colombia, travel to Brazil, travel to Africa, and travel to China because I do not consider a life worth living if I am living in constant fear and paranoia.

Re: How to avoid being kidnapped in mexico.

Nacho Contretas
 I plan on traveling to mexico this summer, so thanks for the tips!!

Re: How to avoid being kidnapped in mexico.

EL GUAPO
Agreed! This sounds like someones paranoia got the better of them

After 30 years of trashing around Mexico, 15 years of living here, my experiences in this country mirror DD's.

I've lived in Nuevo Laredo during the height of the violence. Traveled between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey during the worst of it. Made trips to Cd. Juarez and stayed in a house I have there in a colonia most Americans wouldn't get within a mile of, all with no problems whatsoever.

I've been hit up for very few bribes over the years in Mexico and when it's happened, I've generally been guilty of what they've said I've done so I don't have a problem handing over a few bucks.

I've driven my personal vehicles between the border, Queratero Gto, Celaya Gto and D.F. on many occasions without incident. Those vehicles included a Benz, Suburban, Jetta and a 2012 Nissan Juke. In the Suburban, it was commonplace for me to pull into a PEMEX, crack the windows 6 inches and sleep like a baby between the big rigs.

Americans generally are not targeted. Too much hassle to do so although some that forget their manners, forget to leave their superior gringo attitude at the border and look down their nose at the citizens of Mexico make themselves very attractive victims.

I've also rode the buses, usually choosing the Servicio Ejectivo and never had a problem doing so, even when they've stopped on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere to change drivers.

And in my dealings with the Mexican military at roadblocks and inspection points, the soldiers have always been polite, courteous and professional.

That could all change in the blink of an eye, today for instance, but I don't think it will.
Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,
12