How many DEAD fugitives are on the DEA most wanted list?

How many DEAD fugitives are on the DEA most wanted list?

Siskiyou_Kid

How many DEAD fugitives are on the DEA most wanted list?

After the recent release of Rafael Caro Quintero from prison, we have been reminded of the fact that he, as well as others accused in the death of DEA agent Kiki Camarena, are still on the United States DEA's most wanted list.

Those who are in Mexican prisons, but remain on the DEA most wanted list include these accused in the Kiki Camarena death: José Albino Bazán Padilla, Sergio Espino Verdín,  Miguel Angel Felix Gallardo, Ernesto Fonseca Carrillo, and Manuel Ibarra Herrera. Ibarra Herrera's cousin, former Mexican Interpol director Miguel Daniel Aldana Ibarra is presumed to be free and involved in various businesses in Mexico.

Not only are many people who are imprisoned for lengthy terms in Mexico on the list, but just in the Los Angeles Division most wanted, there are several fugitives who have been dead for a number of years. This brings the question, how many of the DEA's top fugitives worldwide are dead?

Jorge Armand Pavon Reyes

Police commander Jorge Armando Pavon Reyes was an investigator in to the murder Enrique "Kiki" Camarena Salazar and his Mexican pilot Alfredo Zavala Avelar. Pavon Reyes was accused of allowing Rafael Caro Quintero escape to Central America, in return for a 60 million peso bribe. He was arrested in 2006, in order to face extradition to the United States in relation to the Camarena case, but after a year Mexico City's Relclusorio Norte prison, he was released. However his freedom was short lived, as he suffered a heart attack and died in June of 2007. However, it's been 6 years since his death, and the DEA still lists Pavon Reyes as one of their most wanted, for the death of Kiki Camarena.

'

 Luis Cuauhtémoc Palma Salaza

Yet another man listed in the Los Angeles Division of the DEA most wanted is Luis Cuauhtémoc Palma Salazar, the younger brother of notorious Sinaloa Cartel capo Héctor Luis "El Güero" Palma Salazar. Also known as Luis Valerio "El Vale" Palma Salazar, from La Noria de Abajo, Sinaloa, Luis Cuauhtémoc was reported to have taken his brother's place in the cartel hierarchy. Also known as "El Alacrán", Palma Salazar was gunned down in Guamuchil, Sinaloa in 2010. While there is some confusion over Luis Valerio's use of the name Luis Cuauhtémoc, authorities have verified that both were the same dead man. Still, the Los Angeles Division of the DEA continue to list Luis Cuauhtémoc Palma Salazar as one of their most wanted.

http://www.elporvenir.com.mx/notas.asp?nota_id=149266
http://www.zetatijuana.com/html/Edicion1713/Reportajez_Heredero.html

Re: How many DEAD fugitives are on the DEA most wanted list?

Windycitykid
Must not be a priority for them to update the site I guess.. Weird
"Great minds have purpose, others have wishes" - Washington Irvin

Re: How many DEAD fugitives are on the DEA most wanted list?

Just a guess....Mexican incarceration would not nullify US warrants and indictments, they would still be wanted in the US.  caro is an example, he is still wanted in the US, until extradited on proven beyond doubt dead for US authorities I think they will remain on the list.

If incarcerated in Mexico the US files for notification [prior to release in the case of Caro "there was a mixup and delay"

Re: How many DEAD fugitives are on the DEA most wanted list?

Windycitykid, I think the DEA tend to doubt the word of the Mexican government about some deaths, such as Javier Barba Hernández, who was supposedly involved in the Kiki Camarena case before he was gunned down by police in Mazatlan in 1986.

Of course they know that many of those accused of complicity in the Camarena case are in prison in Mexico, but the DEA still seeks their extradition.

Re: How many DEAD fugitives are on the DEA most wanted list?

Mexico-Watcher
Doubting "official" reports or information about criminal activities or criminals should be standard operations procedure for researchers or agencies such as the DEA or State Department.

Systemic, endemic, ingrained, pervasive, and historic corruption in Mexico's Criminal Justice System (CJS), the military, and business dictate that serious measures be taken to validate the validity and reliability of data concerning wanted criminals..... or anything else!

Simply put, we should not trust data or information coming out of Mexico without verifying its validity. IMO, to do so would be extremely naive.