How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

B00Mer

If the US categorized international drug trafficking as an act of war, then we could defend ourselves appropriately. If we actually tried to win the old war on drugs, then we would start eliminating drugs at the source. Mexico is unable to stop the drug cartels from prospering in their country, so it is high time we made it a priority to eliminate the problem ourselves. If we are willing to fight the war on drugs with the same kind of zeal that we have been fighting the war on terror, then we could actually do something to stop international drug trafficking. We invaded Afghanistan and removed the Taliban from power ostensibly because they refused to hand Osama Bin Laden over to us, so we could put him on trial. The concerns expressed by the Taliban were that Bin Laden was half way around the world when the 911 attacks happened, and they did not believe he was responsible. They believed that he would not get a fair trial in America, because we were upset about the attack on the World Trade Center. When we captured Osama, we justified their concerns by summarily executing him and dumping the body in the ocean with some cinder blocks at an unmarked location. Not only did he not receive a fair trial, he never even made it to our country.

We are fighting a war on terror that we will never win, because terror is not an enemy who can be identified and targeted. We can accuse anyone of terrorist activities, and kill them overseas in an act of war without having to answer for our behavior. We can eliminate the international trafficking of drugs if we engaged cartels using such tactics. The United Nations can be used to build a coalition of nations contributing resources and manpower to build an international force having the sole purpose of eliminating international drug trafficking at the sources of production. I am confident that such an effort would be supported by every country that legitimately wants to bring the war on drugs to a conclusive end. The countries that are producing drugs for international trade are not sanctioned by their own governments to produce drugs, so they will need help to stop the mass production of drugs that are produced for international trade. The war on drugs can be won if we make the kind of effort we have displayed in our war on terror. Where as the war on terror will never be successful, because terror can arise from anyone who believes that the US government is evil, and they are willing to do anything to stop them. As long as we have evil intentions that we display in our foreign policy decisions, people will continue to believe we are evil, and they will not stop fighting against us. An honest effort to win the war on drugs is not performed with evil intentions, and every country benefits from bringing international drug trafficking to an end.
Agua que no has de beber, déjala correr

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

Parro
The Mexican cartels cannot be stopped, but can be limited.

They cannot cross the border with their violence and corruption.  If so, it will be a war.

DEA and CIA, need a more aggressive plan to investigate, incriminate and charge the poison makers.

Whether Culiacan, or elsewhere, the plans need to be better formed.

Cartels are going no where, especially stopped.  Have to be limited.

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

Arselio
Financially. I feel like that should be our top priority, less money less corruption from the top government more efficient and helpful

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

We should remove the phrase "War on Drugs" to "War on Criminals" because Mexico is having trouble stopping criminals.

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

You nailed that 1 on the head Mica.

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

Anon
You can eliminate cartels, but new ones will form . You can eliminate terror organizations, but as long as the conditions exist, new ones will form. In both cases the only answer is systematic change.

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

IVAN CHESNOKOV
First  the US needs to dissolve HSBC and any other bank that launders cartel/terrorist money. They also need to strenght up and purge their corrupt BP elements at costumes that let those fancy Fn-Scars, Fn 5.7mm pistols, browning mgs, m249s,etc (these weapons are not cheap old chinese akms) cross into Mexico.
Other than that nothing will ever change in the "war"

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

elrojo
Agreed.
Cartels are here to stay as long as there is a demand for drugs. No way around that.
If there was an answer to it, wouldn’t have it been implemented yet?
Terrorism has been fought and still is till this day and it’s still present.
As for the us and Mexican government, the saying goes, you reap what you sow.

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

Parro
elrojo,

The cartels before they were cartels, were friends, family and acquaintences and a lot of good times.  Somewhere down the line, they became corrupt, ultra competitive and violent.

I can only believe that this is due to many factors, movies, songs, etc. that romanticized the trade and the bad guy, think Scarface.

The friends, became monsters.  The dope became poison.  The borders were crossed and my friends became enemies.  For a simple dollar.  With millions, extortion, kidnapping, petrol, water, etc.  Where does the competition end and how many dollars?

Who's won the competition, have the most dollars, have the fanciest pistols, most exotic animals, etc.

They took it too far.  They are trapped in their own fantasies.

The cartels can be only stopped, by a way out, of their senseless ambition.  You need the capos to understand, it's an end game proposition for them, their families and heirs.  A waste of time for everyone.

Lords of violence, hiding in caves and seeking every dollar.  Senseless . .

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

Cirilo
Likely everyone in Mexico knows someone, is friends with someone, relatives of someone, comadre or compadre of someone, that is involved in the cartel in one way or another.

The change has to happen from within from the people. This would mean them turning against each other which they wont do.

The newer generation has a chance but they need to heavily focus on education at all levels so when they grow up to be adults they will have a different mindset. Basically let the current bad guys kill each other off, and in years the new generation will hopefully lead the country into better days.

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

Parro
This post was updated on .
Cirilo, good post.

Believe you said it right when you talk about who knows who, that knows . .?

Out came the book some time ago,"The Seven Degrees of Separation from Kevin Bacon."

We can usually have a network, and adding one or more networks to know who the person that we are seeking?.

You are right, the innocent know who all these criminals are.  Problem is that the criminals know who are the innocent are.  Criminals hold the power.  How do you get the innocent to hold power?  Hard Challenge

The Government is so supposed to be the protector of the innocent.  The criminals are to the top in any form of local, edifice, state, federal, poliicias of the government.

The Government is the problem, and the innocent know who they are.

Would take an uprising . . a revolution

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

Mosco
Cirilo wrote
Likely everyone in Mexico knows someone, is friends with someone, relatives of someone, comadre or compadre of someone, that is involved in the cartel in one way or another. ...........
Cirilo, where I live in the USA, I am far removed from the crimes and violence in Mexico.  As a retired professional in prison corrections mental health,  I have met inmates of all kinds indirectly and directly tied to Mexican crimes of all kinds.   Many of these inmates are members of families and communities where crimes are endemic parts of life.  We Chicanos who know urban barrio life in the USA, understand these truths.  However, sometimes I wonder if policy makers and the MSM do.

 From my professional perspective, the USA has a huge problem in that these many of these people have criminal roles in "Mexico/USA criminality",  ... It is like natural handshaking (symbiotic) relationships.  Smuggling, is a great example, it takes two to do the "dance of death".  BTW - historically and worldwide, prisons are great places for all kinds of criminals to meet and cut deals among and between criminals of all kinds.

Because of the above, trust me, whatever is done to Mexico will effect the USA adversely "if" these sociological truths are taken into  account.   Without thinking things out VERY carefully, the USA will create a Frankenstein that will destroy America as we know it.  From what I've learned in my  corrections work experiences with criminals of "all" kinds" the USA must think very hard about possible "unintended consequences" in dealing trying to help Mexico with its violence and terrorism problems.  In short, stay the Hell out of Mexican affairs... no good can come of it for the USA.
MOSCOCDG kid decapitation

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

Infohiker
Cirilo wrote
The newer generation has a chance but they need to heavily focus on education at all levels so when they grow up to be adults they will have a different mindset. Basically let the current bad guys kill each other off, and in years the new generation will hopefully lead the country into better days.
Education is an answer, but it is really so hard to do in the current situation.  Putting aside the corruption of the teaching system, security is a huge problem.  Schools get closed regularly, because of violence.  The entire school system in Acapulco and the surrounding area was shut because groups decided they would target teachers and their Christmas bonuses.

You need to do more than let bad guys kill each other off, because while that is happening, they are also recruiting.   And these kids can or will be worse, because they think this shit is normal.   They are desensitized.   This wave of violence is going on close to 15 years now.  That's approaching a whole generation who think this shit is just the way things are.

This problem is huge, and complex.  Education is a part of it, but without working towards security and better opportunities for work at the same time, it wont happen.  And this problem won't just "die out"

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

If Trump would classify cartels as a terrorist group a lot could impact them financially.  Not directly, but a slow bleed of mid-level members getting hit financially could get the ball rolling.  Although it would be more symbolic than anything.

I don’t think Trump currently has the leverage with AMLO to do this without some kind of retaliation as Mexico has increased there southern border security at the request of the US.

It’s not just drugs cartels, but Mexico is having trouble with organized crime.  If more events like the dual citizenship massacre occur, what choice does the US have?  I don’t know, but US troops would never be sent, the border can’t be a DMZ and legalizing everything to combat crime is silly.  Maybe the UN, but likely a civil war between criminals and citizens where white hat hackers are involved. 😉

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

B00Mer
Jorge Araujo Justo was raised in Monterrey, Mexico, a city that was widely affected by the War Against Drug Trafficking- the name commonly given to the deployment of the Mexican military to fight off Cartels. In his emotional talk, he shares his experience with drug-related violence, while reflecting on your role in perpetuating drug trafficking and how a change in the way we fight them could potentially save lives. Raised in Monterrey City, Mexico; Jorge was shaped by the violence that affected his city in the early stages of the War against Drug Trafficking. Ever since, he has made part of his personal mission to ensure that the mistakes that lead up to Mexico’s present day crisis will not be made again. When he was 17, he won a scholarship to attend the United World College Red Cross Nordic, from which he is graduating in 2018. Before he leaves he wishes to share his experience and his ideas concerning the drug crisis in Mexico. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at https://www.ted.com/tedx

Why we should change the way we fight cartels | Jorge Araujo | TEDxUWCRCN

Agua que no has de beber, déjala correr

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

Parro
BOOMer, great TEDx talk.  Jorge, from Monterrey, the second largest city in Mexico? espouses legalization of all drugs.  Well, that would decrease the demand, kill the supply side and further increase the violence of extortion, disappearance, gas theft, etc. of the Mexican Mafia. Would you legalize kidnapping, extortion and gas prices as well?

Good luck with that.

Again, not a good reason, but a shallow answer.

Monterrey is a great place, Horsetail Falls, Tecate Beer, etc.  but they built the town at the bottom of a flood zone. Moderate rains in a semi-desert climate, has wiped out new subdivisions as others are built.  From Monterrey down to Monocalva, Saltilla, Quertaro, etc. is nothing but a smog zone.  An atmosphere created by low wages and industrialization.  Would you rid the world of factories?

The problem is always stated as a demand side, (think USA users), exportation of arms to Mexico (miiitarization) to defend the supply side, (Mafias).

Cut off the supply side, they will find another source.

Cut off the arms, and the Mafia will still reign, due to corruption.

Get rid of the supply side, and something else will replace it, with greater sorrow.

My thought only, regulate the supply side, cut off the arms exports and replace the current government of Mexico to rid the corruption.

That's really kind've a radical idea, but as John Lennon said, Imagine.

I read the book, and it has a good ending.

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

Mica
It's impossible to purchase a soda over 16 oz in NY, but all drugs are going to become legal?

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

"drug war" is a misnomer in mexico.  The term is organized crime or criminality.

Los Zetas developed a new business model, three tier organizational structure, halcones, and 50/50 product.  Meaning 50 percent drug trafficking and 50 percent diversities.

They as a group were the smartest and most innovative group in history.

If there would be legalization in the U.S. with a 50/50 they would strengthen their diversities.  The logistics would change  with the majority of activity being within Mexico.

when zetas began the illegal taps [in Tamps] they not only stole fuel but oil.  the crude oil was trafficked into Texas and sold for half the going price.  This is one of their major diversities.  Other groups followed suit.

My point is that even if drugs were lifted out of the the problem, nothing would change.  Sea cocaine, kidnappings, human trafficking, fuel, extortion ....whatever------ the organization, operation, violence, corruption etc would not differ.

The problem is not a drug trafficking  problem, the problem is the absence of  rule of law.  Whereas 97 percent of the population is held hostage by the malevolent 3 percent

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

elrojo
https://lineadirectaportal.com/mexico/exgobernador-acepta-que-en-su-mandato-pacto-con-el-crimen-organizado_20191113-866923/

Ex-Governor accepts that in his mandate made an agreement with organized crime
The former Guerrero substitute Rogelio Ortega said the authorities must make an agreement with the criminals to end the violence

Saw the above posted over by another user, chava
I feel like this is great for this topic, not a solution to stopping the drug cartels but a supposed end for violence.

Re: How can the Mexican drug cartels be stopped?

Well said Chivis!
12