How Much Do You Know About Mexico? Take the Quiz.

How Much Do You Know About Mexico? Take the Quiz.

The Christian Science Monitor recently posted this Quiz.  It was kind of fun to do during half time of the NFL games yesterday.  It consist of 33 questions.  The answers are posted below, but don't cheat and go there until you have answered all 33 questions.  In the CSM version you have to answer one before you can go to the next one, but I didn't know how to do that here to keep you cheaters honest.

HAVE FUN.

1. What does the 5th of May commemorate in Mexico?

Independence from Spain

Mexican victory over the French at the battle of Puebla

Independence from the United States at the battle of Puebla

2. Which two empires preceded modern day Mexico?

Maya civilization and Portuguese

Quiche and Spanish

Spanish and Portuguese

Aztec and Spanish

3. Which state is indicated on this map?

Coahuila

Yucatan

Sonora

Chihuahua

4. When did Mexico “transition” to democracy?

5. Mexico is almost three times larger than what US state?

Maine

Ohio

Texas

New Mexico

6. Which well-known resort town is pictured on this map?

Acapulco

Cabo San Lucas

Puerto Escondido

Cancún

7. Which well-known Mexican actor starred in the popular films Amores Perros and Motorcycle Diaries?

Antonio Banderas

Gael Garcia Bernal

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

8. The Mexican state of Michoacán is the world's largest producer of what product?

Avocados

Potatoes

Volkswagens

School textbooks

9. Mexico City is built on top of what kind of natural formation?

An inactive volcano

A lake

A mountain

A salt bed

10. Which Mexican city is indicated on this map?

Monterrey

Puebla

Juárez

Saltillo

11. Which politician did NOT run for president in Mexico’s 2012 election?

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador

Felipe Calderon

Josefina Vazquez Mota

Enrique Pena Nieto

12. Which language is NOT spoken in Mexico?

Spanish

Náhuatl

Maya

Mixteco

All are spoken in Mexico

13. Which city is indicated on this map?

Mexicali

Guadalajara

León

Toluca

14. What is Pemex?

State owned cell phone company

State owned oil company

The Mexican central bank

15. Which three elements are represented on the Mexico’s coat of arms on the national flag?

Cactus, eagle, and snake

Eagle, sun, and palm tree

Cactus, cattle skull, and sun

16. The famous El Ángel monument in Mexico City was built to celebrate the anniversary of what event?

The beginning of Mexico's War of Independence

The end of the Mexican-American War

The appearance of Our Lady of Guadalupe

The 1910 Mexican Revolution

17. Mistaking him for returning god Quetzalcoatl, legend says the Aztecs offered what sacred drink to Spanish conquistador Hernan Cortes?

Tequila

Blood

water

Hot Chocolate

18. Modern Mexico City stands at what historically important location?

The location where explorer Hernán Cortés first came ashore

Tenochtitlan, the capital of the Aztec empire

The site of the first Catholic mission in Mexico

El Ray, an ancient Maya ruin

19. Which US state was once a part of Mexico?

Oregon

Florida

Texas

Hawaii

20. Who was Emiliano Zapata?

Comedian

President

Revolutionary

Author

21. Which mountain range is indicated on this map?

Eje Volcánico Transversal

Sierra Madre Oriental

Sierra Madre del Sur

Sierra Madre Occidental

22. Which Mexican landmark is considered one of the ‘new’ (man made) Seven Wonders of the World?

Chichen Itza

Machu Picchu

The Zocalo

23. Who dubbed Mexico’s Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), which ruled Mexico for 71 years until 2000, “the perfect dictatorship?”

Carlos Fuentes

Bill Clinton

Mario Vargas Llosa

Vicente Fox

24. Which group historically occupied the area highlighted on this map?

Maya

Aztec

Inca

Pueblo

25. What is the second largest city in Mexico, behind the capital, Mexico City?

Guadalajara

Chihuahua

Monterrey

Puebla

26. What is a 'Chilango'?

A difficult task

A stubborn person

Someone from Mexico City

A loudmouth or a show-off

27. Who is Carlos Slim?

One of Mexico’s most wanted drug kingpins

The first president of the 21st century

A businessman, and the world’s wealthiest person in 2012

The coach of Mexico’s national soccer team

28. Which Mexican drug cartel is the largest?

Sinaloa

The Gulf Cartel

La Familia Michoacan

Los Zetas

29. What institution is notable for being one the largest private universities in Latin America, with over 90,000 students at 31 campuses?

The National Autonomous University of Mexico

The Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education

The Universidad Autónoma de la Ciudad de México

National Pedagogic University

30. What is YoSoy132 (I am 132)?

A present-day student movement

A viral video commemorating a Mexican sea-turtle turning 132

The best-selling book by former secretary of foreign affairs Jorge Castañeda

A name for the 1968 student riots

31. Mexico recently passed Canada to become the second biggest North American manufacturer of what product?

Computers

Airplanes

Plastics

Automobiles

32. Mexico holds the record for radio time dedicated to which band?

Dave Matthews

Juanes

Paul Simon

The Beatles

33. Who is ‘El Chapo’ Guzman?

The last president from the PRI party

A popular television host

The No. 1 drug-trafficking fugitive

The mayor of Mexico City

THE ANSWERS; (go back to the questions first if you are cheating)

1. What does the 5th of May commemorate in Mexico?
Mexican victory over the French at the battle of Puebla

2. Which two empires preceded modern day Mexico?
Aztec and Spanish

3. Which state is indicated on this map?
Chihuahua

4. When did Mexico “transition” to democracy?
2000

5. Mexico is almost three times larger than what US state?
Texas

6. Which well-known resort town is pictured on this map?
Cancun

[...]

28. Which Mexican drug cartel is the largest?  (This is CSM's answer, not mine)
Los Zetas

29. What institution is notable for being one the largest private universities in Latin America, with over 90,000 students at 31 campuses?
The Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education

30. What is YoSoy132 (I am 132)?
A present-day student movement

31. Mexico recently passed Canada to become the second biggest North American manufacturer of what product?
Automobiles

32. Mexico holds the record for radio time dedicated to which band?
The Beatles

33. Who is ‘El Chapo’ Guzman?
The No. 1 drug-trafficking fugitive

If you didn't score 80% correct, your assignment is to go to the BB archives and read all the stories again.

DD

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/2012/0701/How-much-do-you-know-about-Mexico-Take-our-quiz/What-does-the-5th-of-May-commemorate-in-Mexico/%28result%29/1

Re: How Much Do You Know About Mexico? Take the Quiz.

Elmuchacho
Well that sucks I was trying my best to answer as best as I could but I scored a 68 on it,but in my defense some of the questions were tricky ones.

Re: How Much Do You Know About Mexico? Take the Quiz.

EL GUAPO
This post was updated on .
Missed 10 taking it here.

Just took it "officially" on the CSR website and got 98%, missing 2.....

However one I "missed" was number 1 and if I remember my history, 5 de Mayo does celebrate the battle of Pueblo........ CSR says differently......   And then I missed the one about the PRI, putting Carlos Fuentes instead of the correct answer.
Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,

Re: How Much Do You Know About Mexico? Take the Quiz.

I missed 16, 23, and 26, and I only got 32 with an educated guess.

The Christian Science Monitor is good news organization. I was assigned to subscribe to it for my International Business Program in school.

Re: How Much Do You Know About Mexico? Take the Quiz.

BB01021995
I scored an 85 as I missed 5 out of the 33. I would have missed more if I had just had to answer directly, but seeing as it was a multiple choice helped a lot.

Re: How Much Do You Know About Mexico? Take the Quiz.

Havana
Hi everyone-I was going to chime in on Sunday, but felt like I was being boastful.  I don't like boasters-so I just shut up-then I couldn't sleep (kidding) hiding stuff and all from you guys.

Well, I aced it-well actually I got one wrong, but I don't agree with it anyway- I said Sinaloa was bigger than the Los Zetas and I think they are, but technically I'm wrong because the CSM made the test and the answers. Usually I test not really that well at all unless it doesn't matter than I do great.  Headcase!

Just thought you'd like to know.

When I'd go to the CS reading room headquarters, I'd read the CSM there while I procrastinated. they had the biggest bluest, plastic globe that you'd walk through or stand inside for hours in my case with a huge window above it. It always looked like a sunny day inside. I used to stand in it for hours while taking a break from studying for mid-terms and final exams at university.  I'd go there because it was quieter than the college libraries. I just regretted than the globe didn't turn to stars at night. Now that would have been awesome.

I guess I just thought you should know that too.

Dancing with joy

Bye now

Re: How Much Do You Know About Mexico? Take the Quiz.

Baggy
bump