Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

Fotos: at right narco shirts...this one of El Padrino; foto at left is Aldolfo Valenzuela I have written how many wealthy Mx families have relocated to CV, ironically those leaving Mx to flee from the narcos find themselves living in the same communities of wealthy connected bad guys who have the luxury to make a choice of safety for their families... Paz, Buela

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=PyA6XuQLRFQ&vq=medium#t=12

There's a hot, new cultural trend among young Mexican-Americans -- similar to the early development of  hip hop. Music is at the core of Movimiento Alterado, but it's also about fashion and language. It's alternative, it's largely underground — and it finds its inspiration in the brutal Mexican drug war. In this video meet several Southern California Mexican--Americans who are shaping it.

SAN DIEGO — Eleno Serna recently opened his third clothing shop catering to the young and hip. Some say he is also profiting from the violence of Mexico’s ongoing drug war.

Stylish women’s jackets, guys’ soccer shirts and short-sleeve button-downs line the racks at his store in the city of Chula Vista in southern San Diego County. But the top-selling items at the young entrepreneur’s stores are shirts with flashy depictions of skeletons toting AK-47s and likenesses of Mexican drug lords.

“This one, a lot of people like this one, the flocking,” said Serna, 25, as he pulled down a t-shirt and rubbed his hand over a velvety detail. The shirt features a stencil image of Miguel Ángel Félix Gallardo, a.k.a. "El Padrino," considered one of Mexico’s original cartel leaders.

“It gives it a more expensive look,” he said.

Eleno Serna recently opened his third Antrax Clothing store in the Chula Vista Center mall.

The shirt is one of the hottest-selling items in Serna’s Antrax Clothing line, which he designs and also sells online. He started the company just a year ago and now says he has more orders than he can handle.

Many of Serna’s biggest clients are bands — and their followers — who play a new kind of corrido music called Movimiento Alterado, which translates loosely to “altered state.” Corridos are Mexican storytelling ballads.

Like Serna’s clothing designs, Movimiento Alterado bands capitalize on the increasingly ruthless battle among Mexican drug traffickers.

One of the first and biggest hits is a song called “Sanguinarios Del M1.” Translation: “The Bloodthirst Of M1." The abbreviation “M1” is a nickname for a suspected Sinaloan trafficker named Manuel Torres Félix.

The song starts like this:

"With a goat’s horn (that’s slang for an AK-47 rifle) and a bazooka in the crook of the neck.

Taking off the heads of anyone who crosses.

We’re bloodthirsty, crazy, agitated, we like to kill."

The YouTube video of the song has been viewed more than 12 million times.

Movimiento Alterado is the brainchild of Burbank-based music producers Adolfo and Omar Valenzuela, "Los Twiins." They came to California from Sinaloa, Mexico when they were in high school. Their father was a musician in Sinaloa and warned his sons not to follow him into what has traditionally been a dicey business — playing tunes for drug traffickers at their homes and private parties.

But once in Los Angeles, the brothers’ musical potential was undeniable. They started recording with well-known Mexican musicians and then started their own production company.

Adolfo Valenzuela said they thought up Movimiento Alterado a few years ago while searching for a market for some new bands.

“We made a couple of mixes and started promoting it in the streets and on the Internet. That’s how it started,” he said. Now, there are thousands of bands performing what they call “alterado” music on both sides of the border.

Movimiento Alterado was born at the Burbank studio of Adolfo Valenzuela and his brother Omar, "Los Twiins."

Much of the music is spread online and at private concerts. The violent nature of the lyrics prevents many songs from being played on the radio.

Elijah Wald, a Boston-based musician who wrote a book about so-called narcocorridos, ballads about drug trafficking, likens the movement to gangsta rap - but tailored to the growing population of young Mexican-Americans.

“There are people who are very much proud of being Mexican, but who speak accent-less English and this is the music for them," Wald said. "This is the music for somebody who is equally into hip-hop and corridos.”

In fact, Valenzuela and his brother are in talks with rapper Snoop Dogg about recording songs together.

But as with gangsta rap, some are questioning whether a popular youth culture that glorifies violence associated with the Mexican drug war can stoke that same violence. Narcocorridos have actually been outlawed in several Mexican states.

Valenzuela said he’s just giving the people what they want.

“It’s a market and I’m in the music industry," Valenzuela said matter-of-factly. "If I don’t do it, someone else is doing it.”

Back at the clothing store, Serna said the "El Padrino" image represents power.

“It’s just an image saying how someone, you know, [who] is poor, with hard work and all that stuff can become wealthy and help people and stuff,” Serna said.

At the same time, Serna said the violence across the border pains him.

“I was born in the United States, but I’m also Mexican, and it hurts me to see my country like that," Serna said. "I just think that…it’s just fashion. You give people what they want to buy right now.”

Serna is also planning to design shoes and hats, but he said his next round of designs will be a little tamer.

Sources:
KPBS-San Diego
Jill Replogle
Katie Euphrat (video)

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

JesusTheMoose
Hi Buela, I don't dig those trends to glamorize the narcoculture. I believe that its part of why youngsters are drawn into crime. Music and style lend an identity and, in some convoluted way, legitimacy. The purveyors of this garbage are complicit in perpetuating the bad life choice of narcoculture.

A little closer to home for me, the two competing gangs in my town have their own gangster rap. I always see young folks in the local news or in blotters that have made bad choices that tag them for life. The judges here are so fed up with youth violence that they routinely hand down life sentences to minors tried as adults. More wasted lives. At the heart of the matter is the culture that's handed down those kids.
The only object of liberty is life. -- G. K. Chesterton

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -- Benjamin Franklin
SRG

ANtrx Clothing Makes El Kommanders "Tactrical Vests" comes with a fake gun and diamonds!! i so want one!!! haha jk but i will admit i have a shirt with a golden Ak47 on it i kind of feel guilty wearing it but its cool. Also Elijah Wald needs to make Another NarcoCorrido Book on the new corrido scene

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

JesusTheMoose
I read in the news a while back about stash houses in Chula Vista. Not a great place for narcos to do business IMHO because its full of feds. San Diego County is tough on crime so I hope those fools get caught there. Only if we could bring back Paul Pfingst to fry those mofos handily.
The only object of liberty is life. -- G. K. Chesterton

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

El Regio
If these Movimiento Alterado idiots get executed, we all know why!

SRG

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

SRG
I wonder why they havn't, i heard the "Los Sanguinarios del m1" wasnt authorized by el "m1" and that they were told not to produce corridos like that again and that why there new cd was only like party songs and dosnt mention names.

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

mofle619
chula vista especially Eastlake and Otay Ranch area is full of drug money.  I live in this area and I can tell you from experience.

at first when i was younger i kind of wanted to be like them also.  When i was younger I would see all of these kids that were 15 or 16 years old driving brand new trucks and SUVs and they usually got all of the girls (usually because they flashed their money a lot) and they had this because their parents were usually involved in the drug trade in one way or another.  one of my friends' dad was a police officer in TJ and had a 550,000 home in eastlake.  He was later killed and i remember my friend telling me that the last time he saw his dad was when he got a call and came to him  and said "i have to go, take care of your brothers and mother." then he left.  My other friends dad was killed in michoacan.  and another friend of mine and his family moved down to michoacan 3 months before graduation.  These were just the people i happened to know, imagine the rest of the city.

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

JesusTheMoose
I used to know Chula well back in the mid 90s. Then, it grew like crazy. I don't doubt that narcos are allover Eastlake. Money is king. Don't take this the wrong way but SD is the most materialistic place I ever lived. I loved going to TJ because the people were down to earth but when money is king, bad things follow.
The only object of liberty is life. -- G. K. Chesterton

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

Can't argue with that.  But as for CV...well, my son was a fire cap there before transferring.  He saw the city grow, the massive homes of the Mx wealthy sprout, and he always found it curious how rude and high and mighty attitude the mx wealthy have.  he further states that those of obvious "new wealth" are very respectful.......go figure, guess Jorge Cantanedas' theory about Mexicans began respecting rules north of the border has something to it.

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

Yep!  the area is a stunning transformation.  funny the very peeps the ricos left mx because are now their neighbors and eveyone acts like this is normal.....

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

no jesus, you are not understanding it.  they are not there to do biz they are there for home and family life.  often it is the family, wife and children

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

JesusTheMoose
I guess I can only hope the feds will notice those guys. I still find that narco families have an intelligence value. Keeping your enemies closer comes to mind.
The only object of liberty is life. -- G. K. Chesterton

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

I Grow Mexicos Best Weed
The Mexican Elite are reknowned for their haughtiness. How seperated from the Mexican culture is your son? As much time as you say you spend in Mexico, this should not come as a surprise to him. These are US fashions. Wearing the face of someone that is heralded by a few will get you killed by a few more. It is wanna-wear and nothing more.

Re: Hot New Cultural Trend Glamorizing Mx Drug War-both sides the border...

I think you missed what I said.

 How removed?  He is a fire captain at the US side of the border.  We have lived in 12 countries in the past 30 years but he is a man almost 50, he does not reside in Mx or work with me in Mx.  You may live with your parents at an old age but my children are educated and independant professionals.   My work began long after my responsibility as a mother was less taxing on my time.

Now, what I was stating is not the haughtiness of wealthy Mx...you find that everywhere, it is the distain towards all those INCLUDING civil servants like my son, heroes that put their life on the line every work day.  Little do they know my children are wealthy, and work as a choice, in jobs that serve the public, as a choice.  They are honorable, beautiful humans who respect others and my son is disgusted at the behavior of wealthy Mxs towards others.

so captain jim...you found a little hole to creep back in..tisk tisk...