Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

Locked 12 messages Options

Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

Mica
Mazatlan Post

In one of the lodging centers, the armed thieves emptied the safes.

ISLA MUJERES, Q. Roo.- The Izla hotels (right picture) and Casa de Los Sueños (left Picture) in Isla Mujeres, were targets of crime early yesterday, at the hands of between six and eight hooded subjects and with weapons to take the cash of three safes and electronic items.

The criminals tied staff and private security agents with belts to commit the robbery which was perpetrated in less than two hours.

The State Attorney General’s Office (FGE) sent ministerial agents from Cancun to the island to reinforce investigations and operations to detain those responsible.

The criminals first entered the Izla hotel, located on Sac Bajo street, number 48, lot 5, block 72, of the Isla Mujeres Superblock 72.

Erick N, 28, and Benito N, 23, both hotel employees; they told the police authorities that around 4 o’clock they entered between six and eight subjects hooded with firearms and threatened them.

The criminals asked them the location of the safe and for fear of their physical integrity handed him the key, but the system uses two keys, the other was the guard, so they also went for him.

They were tied with plastic belts and put gray industrial tape on their eyes. Between 10 and 15 minutes, they heard knocks on the wall. The thieves took their belongings and 1,400 pesos of Erick, but also 35 thousand pesos were stolen from the company, and they could not open the safe.

The second robbery was about 5 hours at the Casa de los Sueños hotel, located on the road to Garrafón park, lot 9-A, in the Turquesa subdivision of the municipality.

Nemesio N, a guard of the place, said that about eight subjects were admitted carrying firearms and balaclavas, who threatened and beat him.

The subjects tied him with plastic belts and covered his eyes with gray industrial tape, after several minutes he managed to let go and ask a guest for help to talk to the police.

The thieves took nine iPads, 600 pesos in cash and all the money from three safes, but did not disclose the amount they contained. The guard was transferred by Red Cross paramedics to a hospital.

Re: Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

Wow and this just after Yaqui's post on the 10 tourist police getting robbed in a luxury hotel in Cabo.Looks like no more 'operating under the radar'.Anything goes and I wonder if half these guys are drug addicted methheads or they just aren't getting paid by the Cartels that maybe their 'pay'is licence to commit their own robberies.This is definitely not good for the tourist business.

Re: Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

Cuidado
Interesting since the island is so small and theres a military base on Isla Mujeres with checkpoints all over the island.   Well at least there used to be..I have stayed there before for a few weeks in the 90s.  Maybe some disgruntled soldiers?

Re: Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

I have been a frequent traveler to the island for years.  My last trip was in September and the locals were starting to talk about piso from people claiming jalisco.  I understand that the QRoo area is warming up, but I always thought the island would be immune to it.

For one, you have to take a 15-minute fairy and 2 there is a large Marina military base.

Casa de Los Sueños and the Hotel Izla (which is less than a year old) are packed with tourists and provide visible security.  I know it's Mickey Mouse security, but the optics would discourage this activity.

But like Canadiana stated, this is similar to the Cabo robbery which is why I decided to share.  Tourist understand the travel warnings, but myself like others dismiss this warning with "it safe at the resort in the evenings".

Re: Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

Infohiker
Dont forget the 45 robbed in Acapulco just a few weeks ago.  Seems like a new revenue stream is being tested....

Re: Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

Mica
Good point, I forgot about Acapulco.  This doesn’t feel like approved organized crime.

Re: Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

CasiChoyera
I keep trying to post on the main page about the robbery in Cabo.  No one entered the Paradisus resort.  They dummies robbed the guard shack on a service road that runs between Las Ventanas and the Paradisus.  No manager was taken inside like the report says.  I talked with the Director of Sales yesterday and no one in the hotel even knew about what happened the night before.  Before we start to build on false information we should listen to people who know what is really happening, which isn't much, thankfully.   And theres a HUGE difference in motels, hotels, luxury resorts, etc. and locations.

Re: Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

Mica
Let me get this right, the director of sales did not know.  SHOCKER

Before you criticize the reporting on your very first post 😎, you might want to clarify motels, hotels and luxury resorts.

So please put on your big boy pants and explain why the reporting from Borderlanbeat (which has been used as a source or cited by major outlets) should be discredited because of supposed phone call with the sales person.

Re: Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

CasiChoyera
Angry much?  if you would listen and open your brain perhaps you would actually learn something.  The DOS didn't know the morning after the robbery happened because it didn't happen in the hotel and he was informed later.  No one in the hotel knew until later and that is the point...it didn't happen in the hotel.  And thats all.

This also isn't my first post, its just a new name -- so don't make assumptions.

Let's clarify that the type of hotel that got robbed where Mexican Nationals were victims is not at the level of the Paradisus, just like the "hotel" that was the site of a shooting in Cabo 2017 was a motel in a poor neighborhood. Likewise these two are yet another sort of property.  it's irresponsible to lump it all together. If you need definition perhaps you should check a dictionary.

I don't need to put on my big boy pants.  I'm here in Cabo and I know what I'm talking about, do you, are you?  Perhaps you should check your pants to make sure you don't need some pull ups.

Re: Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

Mica
I look forward to you making another new account maybe B.I.G.boypants where you can attempt to make a valid point.

🙉

Re: Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

CasiChoyera
Wow and you can be rude too.

Re: Hooded thieves rob 2 hotels in Isla Mujeres

That's interesting info about the guard shack down the road.Now I'm going to cap the post so harsh words between you and Mica don't continue.