Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office confirms shooting of deputy yesterday is cartel-related, spillover violence & Did El Cos assist in Take down?

Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office confirms shooting of deputy yesterday is cartel-related, spillover violence & Did El Cos assist in Take down?

just breaking...i will post as more is available,  BTW the second story is funny on so many levels.  wading the rio?  because the visa expired? jajajaja...paz, B

October 31, 2011

EAST OF EDINBURG – Hidalgo County Sheriff’s deputies clutched their shotguns Sunday evening, standing— guard at an intersection north of Elsa where suspected kidnappers shot and wounded one of the deputies’ comrade-in-arms.

The Sheriff’s Office is not releasing the names of anyone involved out of concerns over retaliation, but sources have confirmed that Deputy Hugo Rodriguez was shot three times and is in stable condition at McAllen Medical Center.

Sheriff Lupe Treviño said his office received a call regarding a possible kidnapping about 5:21 p.m. Rodriguez, along with other deputies, were on their way to the scene near Val Verde and Farm-to-Market Road 2812 when they spotted a brown pickup that resembled the vehicle involved in the alleged kidnapping.

When they saw the pickup, which had three passengers as well as the driver inside, they pulled it over.

The sheriff said as deputies were interviewing the driver, one of the passengers got out and began shooting multiple rounds.

A bullet proof vest helped Rodriguez ward off two shots to the chest, Treviño said, adding that a third bullet punctured him in the lower right abdominal area. The deputies then opened fire and killed the shooter, the sheriff said.

“He’s going to be just fine,” Treviño said of Rodriguez. “The doctors are giving a real good prognosis.”

He said the deputy is scheduled for surgery on Monday.

The driver of the vehicle also was shot and is in the hospital with multiple gunshot wounds, including one to the head.

“We’re still not sure who shot who,” Treviño said.

After the incident, search warrants were executed for a nearby mobile home and another home. Treviño said the third passenger in the car may have been the kidnapping victim. The fourth is cooperating with law enforcement.

The sheriff said they believe the incident was the result of a drug deal between two groups of people.

“We really don’t know the whole story yet,” he said. “We don’t know who might be behind this scenario.”

Treviño said drugs were recovered at the mobile home, but he couldn’t say what kind or how much just before press time.

“Our main concern, of course, was the health and well-being of our deputy,” he said.

“WE CANNOT BE EVERYWHERE”

Residents suggested the entire shootout might have been averted had the Sheriff’s Office committed more attention and resources to the area in the past.

“I’m not very happy with the Sheriff’s department whatsoever, at all,” said Alan Roy, a 51-year-old truck driver. “This has been an ongoing situation for years, and it’s only getting worse.”

He and his family recounted a series of robberies, drug-related crimes and at least one body found along the side of the road that they said received little follow-up from investigators.

Roy said neighborhood youths have robbed his property and was frustrated he must only rely on the county to resolve the “simple injustice.”

“Today is not that unusual,” he said. “Why does something big have to happen for them to get here this quick?

“They go (crazy) over catching a little bit of marijuana but truly never take another look at all the robberies and other problems.”

Treviño rejected that criticism

“Whether it’s deputies, state troopers, police departments, we cannot be everywhere all the time,” the sheriff said, but “in this particular area, we reduced violent crime by 43 percent.

“I really don’t know what the people are concerned about. I hope (they are) directed in our direction so we can get more specifics.”

Treviño  said he will launch three investigations– one by a specialized team that deals with deputy-related shootings, a second by a homicide unit and the third by Internal Affairs, which will determine if any departmental rules were violated between the initial traffic stop and the fatal shooting.

Treviño said the three-pronged investigation is normal in an incident like this.

“That’s just par for the course,” he said.

And in the meantime, investigators will go door to door within one-quarter mile of the scene, hoping to find witnesses.

Treviño also has ordered a lockdown for the emergency room at McAllen Medical Center to prevent any sort of retaliation.

“This is by far not over,” he said. “We are in the very early stages of the investigation.”onitor

Monitor

and this....

RIO GRANDE CITY - Another Gulf Cartel boss is in federal custody in the Valley.

CHANNEL 5 NEWS learned of the arrest in Rio Grande City Friday and we were awaiting confirmation.

Federal court documents show Eudoxio Ramos Garcia made a court appearance in front of a magistrate judge this morning. Immigration and Customs agents say they arrested Ramos Garcia at a house in Rio Grande City last Thursday.

ICE agents say Ramos Garcia was the Plaza boss in Miguel Aleman for the Gulf Cartel. Authorities say he admitted to agents he'd crossed illegally into the United States by wading through the river near Escobares. He said his visa had expired and he couldn't enter the United States legally. Ramos Garcia also admitted to agents he paid smugglers around $500 to move him across the river and to the house in Rio Grande City. He told agents the current Plaza boss is a man named Pepio and his nephews routinely smuggle drugs north to Houston.

Ramos Garcia is charged with conspiring to possess 120 kilos of marijuana. This is a significant arrest. In the last week, investigators arrested two others with cartel connections in Cameron County and the head of one of the factions of the Gulf Cartel, Rafael Cardenas Vela. Port Isabel police stopped him while he was on his way to his condo.

The intelligence-based firm STRATFOR said last week Cardenas Vela was talking to investigators about the Gulf Cartel's operations and turning on the other leader, Eduardo Costilla. STRATFOR said it was likely Costilla, or “El Cos,” gave law enforcement information to catch Cardenas Vela.

Re: Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office confirms shooting of deputy yesterday is cartel-related, spillover violence & Did El Cos assist in Take down?

The Gulf Cartel is going the way of the Arellano Felix, with apparently no prodigal nephew to turn to lol.  Plaza bosses wading a river?  Must have been scared for his life.

Re: Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office confirms shooting of deputy yesterday is cartel-related, spillover violence & Did El Cos assist in Take down?

what I loved is hïs  "had to cros the rio because MY VISA EXPIRED!!!
My hard working secretary 'had a tough time getting a visa because she did not own property in Mx.
and this guy has one???

Re: Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office confirms shooting of deputy yesterday is cartel-related, spillover violence & Did El Cos assist in Take down?

dario
I do not see where it says cartel related. Do they have proof of cartel ties or are they blaming anyone with a Hispanic name?
Tex

Re: Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office confirms shooting of deputy yesterday is cartel-related, spillover violence & Did El Cos assist in Take down?

Tex

Re: Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office confirms shooting of deputy yesterday is cartel-related, spillover violence & Did El Cos assist in Take down?

MANO
Llorando se fue, la que algun dia me hizo llorar.

Re: Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office confirms shooting of deputy yesterday is cartel-related, spillover violence & Did El Cos assist in Take down?

El Regio
and the rats keep falling! What will be left of this cartel?

Re: Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office confirms shooting of deputy yesterday is cartel-related, spillover violence & Did El Cos assist in Take down?

Hola,...he gave a live interview yesterday with the declaration "confirming" cartel relation.
if they were blaming anyone with a spanish (i hate the word hispanic) surname, then this claim would be used every hour of every day of every year.......