Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

AJ

Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

AJ
HEY GIRL. IT'S PAUL RYAN

PAUL RYAN'S MEDICARE PLAN

by Denise Early from Tucson Citizen.com

(What is the Paul Ryan plan for Medicare?)  1) Limit government responsibility for the cost of Medicare;  2) Make people covered by Medicare pay more of their health care costs;  3) Hand Medicare over to insurance companies.

1) The Ryan plan would give vouchers, worth around $8,000 per year, to Medicare beneficiaries. Medicare beneficiaries would then buy their own health insurance. The Medicare budget would be fixed and capped, and voucher payouts would be raised a little bit each year.

2) Democrats say Ryan’s proposals for raising the voucher amounts each year would be less than cost increases in health insurance premiums. This would leave seniors with less coverage and more out-of-pocket expenses for their medical care.

3) The Ryan plan would turn Medicare into a for-profit business for insurance companies.

I don’t know how points 1 and 2 might work out as I am not a policy wonk. I do have an opinion on point 3.

I don’t see how the Ryan plan is fiscally conservative. Medicare’s administrative costs are around 3 – 4% of the Medicare budget. Insurance company admin costs are about 15%. How can anyone think it will save taxpayer money to turn Medicare  into a much less efficient business model?

We already have privatized Medicare in the form of Medicare Advantage plans which are run by insurance companies and paid for by Medicare. But those plans are not paid a capped amount because insurance companies don’t want to take on the risk of losing money. Instead, Advantage plans get paid more money if their members are sicker and more costly. This is called “risk adjustment”.

Advantage plans get to make a profit from doing business with Medicare. Profit margins might be just 4 or 5%, which doesn’t sound like much. But when the annual revenue for one Medicare Advantage plan company is in the  billions of dollars (taxpayer money), 5% turns out to be….. a lot of money that is taken out of the Medicare system. How is that fiscally conservative? Isn’t that a misuse of taxpayer money?

As an insurance broker, I should be excited about the prospect of all those seniors needing a private Medicare plan. What an incredible business opportunity!! So many dazed and confused seniors! So many choices! So many new clients each year as plan premiums get too high and seniors need to make a change!

Isn’t there something wrong with this picture? Why would we want to make Medicare more confusing? Oh, I forgot…. free market competition will make everything better…. and less expensive…. and everyone will have more freedom.

Why not fix Medicare instead of throwing it out completely? The Ryan plan doesn’t even address rising costs for medical care. Why have Republicans consistently pushed for privatizing Medicare?

And one more thing:

The Ryan plan calls for the Medicare age to be raised to 67…..while at the same time calling for the repeal of Obamacare. I have met many, many people who were thrilled to be turning 65 so they could finally get health insurance again – or get decent coverage with Medicare.  I just can’t imagine pushing the goal line that much further away for people, many of whom have lost their jobs and their health insurance.

ORIGINAL SOURCE:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/medicare/2012/08/15/paul-ryans-medicare-plan/

THE INTERNET POKES FUN AT PAUL RYAN - CNN NEWS REPORT [VIDEOS]

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/13/tech/web/paul-ryan-internet/

Paul Ryan Medicare Controversy: What Does It Mean For You?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLE813BF285E36DF4A&v=8_jevVCs58w&feature=player_detailpage

Breaking down Rep. Ryan's "Path to Prosperity"

Paul Ryan heckled at Iowa State Fair

CNN's Soledad O'Brien schools Romney surrogate on Medicare plan

CHIVIS FOREVER

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

eternalcode
Here is a short article by Ann Barnhardt. I post this because she points out how horribly criminal the US financial system is and why the elections are meaningless theatrics. Also, she points out what a terrible laughable fraud Paul Ryan is.

Warren Pollock & Ann on The Endgame
Posted by Ann Barnhardt - August 14, AD 2012 11:34 AM MST

Hardcore stuff here. We cover the Sentinel Ruling destroying the notion of Customer Segregated Funds, FDIC "insurance", the forthcoming nationalization of your savings, the farce of electoral politics, and the inevitibility of collapse and the mere goal of simply leaving a record that not everyone in this culture was an emotional child unable to deal with objective, mathematical reality.

Warning: Lots of crazy eyes and my patented Extreme Facial Expressions™ magnified by a somewhat choppy Skype connection.

Eternal Code - Notes On NODs

AJ

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

AJ
People need to start dealing with local banks [smaller institutions] or put a big fireproof safe in their homes and hold their own belongings.

I deal with a local credit union and I have never had a problem with them. They provide A service.
CHIVIS FOREVER

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

Frontera
AJ " Medicare’s administrative costs are around 3 – 4% of the Medicare budget. "

But AJ Medicare’s formula for computing administration costs doesn’t include all the costs which government requires in the calculations for private companies. So the comparison is not valid, and the claim is misleading.

Medicare’s formula for administrative cost excludes more than half of its real costs: some management costs, policy setting costs, tax and fee collection services, costs of capital, and many services provided by other government agencies.

Expressing administrative costs as a percentage of total costs makes Medicare’s administrative costs appear lower not because Medicare is necessarily more efficient but merely because its administrative costs are spread over a larger base of actual health care costs. When administrative costs are compared on a per-person basis, the picture changes. In 2005, Medicare’s administrative costs were $509 per primary beneficiary, compared to private-sector administrative costs of $453.

If recent cost history is any guide, switching the more than 200 million Americans with private insurance to a public plan will not save money but will actually increase health care administrative costs by several billion dollars.

Summary: First, other government agencies help administer the Medicare program. The Internal Revenue Service collects the taxes that fund the program; the Social Security Administration helps collect some of the premiums paid by beneficiaries (which are deducted from Social Security checks); the Department of Health and Human Services helps to manage accounting, auditing, and fraud issues and pays for marketing costs, building costs, and more.

Didn't Obumer rob $700 billion from Medicare to help fund his obumercare program?

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

Frontera
"AJ The Ryan plan calls for the Medicare age to be raised to 67..."

Social Security (SS) retirement age was raised from 65 to 66, but they bait you with more income to wait till age 70. SS will likely raise the age again to 67.

The reason for  increasing  the age of retirement on SS and Medicare is people are living longer - plus politicians have robbed both to fund their pet projects, otherwise SS would be financially sound.

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

ToPHeR
You know Ajulio is getting nervous about Obama losing the election when he resorts to posting pictures and liberal talk show clips...

Newflash Ajulio....Soledad O'brien was CAUGHT on camera using a liberal blog when she was attempting to attack Ryan's record! So much for CNN being a neutral news channel! No wonder they're at a record 20 year low in ratings!

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

jason5683
I don't think Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, Barack Obama and no way Joe "Dumb Ass" Biden can save a bankrupt medical system.  An average single mother who does not work and is on entitlements aka Democratic/Greek receives 51K in welfare.

Can't give out more than we take in.

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

El Regio
jason5683 wrote
I don't think Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, Barack Obama and no way Joe "Dumb Ass" Biden can save a bankrupt medical system.  An average single mother who does not work and is on entitlements aka Democratic/Greek receives 51K in welfare.

Can't give out more than we take in.
Good luck getting idiot liberals to understand that!

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

Frontera
This year Medicare outlays total $503B and will reach $855B annually in 10 years, a result of baby boomers turning 65.  With obumer robbing $716B from Medicare to fund his obumercare then Medicare’s hospital trust fund will be broke by 2024.

Jason5683 made reference of the welfare state of Greece and this President obumer has pushed the US that direction i.e. get voters on the tit so they’ll vote right being Liberal or the new term Progressives.

Hard choices require knowledge based factual presentation of facts to provide remedy to current US economic issues. A leader should lay it all on the table to the US populace as to what remedies need to be applied and why. If a leader handles it this way I believe the US populace will support and follow transparency.
AJ

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

AJ
@ jason23476

Can't give out more than we take in.

Shoulda told "Dumb Ass" Bush that. He left us with an 11 trillion dollar deficit.

CHIVIS FOREVER
AJ

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

AJ
@ Frontera

You are a tough person to debate cuz you are persistent and you do your homework. The problem is, you get all of your information from conservative sources.

Paul Ryan's [cuz let's face it, Mitt Romney is irrelevant] health care plan is only going to turn the system into a voucher system. He is going to destroy Medicare and privatize it and then the Republicans are going to try to do the same with Social Security. They want to destroy everything and then let the 'Big Heads' take over. Under his plan, senior citizens will have to pay over 60% more than now. That money is only to entice and manipulate an old person. That's how stupid, Paul Ryan thinks senior citizens are.

"Here, take this $15,000 you 'old bag' and if you're lucky, you can keep a couple thousand of it, but just make sure that you don't ever get sick cuz then you're on your own buddy."
CHIVIS FOREVER
AJ

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

AJ
@ jason67548

Who said that the medical system was bankrupt? The medical system is a Huge money machine. That's where the problem lies. Everything is overpriced with such high interest rates. The same with the economy.

Do what FDR did and lower the principle of the debt and see how things will change.
CHIVIS FOREVER

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

Ajulio....
so you think the old lady is not around and you can break rules?  jajajaja
ok, i know you are excited to discuss politics...go ahead and (or anyone) have a running post and thread about all things politics...but do not begin political roboposting...thanks!

Paz,chivis

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

Siskiyou_Kid
LOL! Thanks for the laughs, Buela.

I love political fights, so I have to bite my tongue daily.

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

Chimera
The difference between the two plans boils down to this:

Both plans actually cut pretty close to the same amount, give or take a few tens of billions, but from different places in the economy. The cuts in both plans create huge shortfalls.

The way the Republicans' plan is designed, the shortfalls must be picked up by the Medicare recipients.

The way the Democrats' plan is designed, the shortfalls must be picked up by the U.S. Government.

The longer version:

The Republicans' (Ryan's) plan calls for vouchers which provide a set amount and allow the Medicare recipient to shop around for the provider of their coverage. The year-to-year increase for the voucher is indexed to the cost of living. Unfortunately, as we all know, the cost of medical care has risen year-to-year faster than the cost of living and is projected to continue to do so. So at first the vouchers will be enough to buy coverage, but over time they will fall short. As time goes on, the amount they fall short by will grow larger and larger. So the recipients will have to pay the difference to keep their coverage. The plan is supposed to encourage competition amongst Medicare providers, I think?

The Democrats' Obamacare) plan calls for stipulated fees for care providers and indexing fees that the Medicare agency can pay to the cost of living. These fees are  not likely to keep up with the actual rate that costs of medical care will rise, of course. And, like the gap in the above, this gap over time will also grow larger and larger over time. So providers will either not accept Medicare patients or the patients must pay the difference themselves. *bing* The magic government check will take care of it. This, I think, is supposed to encourage competition and real market pricing amongst providers? Something like that.

Anyway, I think I we can look at what the two actual proposals are without the taunting nicknames and demagogue-ing, we'd all be better served. :)

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

Slappy
I find it amazing that anybody could believe that RW nonsense after what they collapsed the economy.

Obama got rid of Medicare part D which costs 14% more per patient than traditional medicare.  The savings come from eliminating a massive republican subsidy to private insurers and pharmaceutical companies and gradually reducing the rate of growth in payments to some providers, not by cutting benefits.

The Congressional Budget Office concluded the cuts -- which do not come out of the Medicare trust fund -- actually make Medicare more efficient and extend the life of the program. Additionally, all but four members of the house GOP voted for those same cuts in passing Ryan's budget plan.

Read the facts and weep.  Romney is now in full collapse.  Only election fraud can save them now.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/43471-hr6079.pdf

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

jason5683
Banned User
So I guess there is a single person who trust congress...

Let's say the savior BO has a way to make healthcare cheaper by 14%, I will believe that like Gitmo closing!  If you saved 50%, you still have a bloated entitled wing of America and a US: $15,874,365,457,260 - Debt as of July 2012.

Odummy might have inherited debt, but he has not lowered it, he has made it 50% bigger.

Can't blame Bush this time.  Can't blame racism this time.

What pisses me off at the end of the day all of these politicians(yes on both sides of the isle) have stolen until it hurts their hand.

Jason
AJ

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

AJ
Funny Buela.

Speaking of Obama. Man......What a disappointment he ended up becoming. But Romney and Paul are muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch worse!

Poor senior citizens. Poor students. Poor middle-class. If these two cold-hearted creatures win the next presidency.
CHIVIS FOREVER

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

well kid...i believe in a little fun.. and election time is usually the best time to roll it out.  But i too bite my tongue i think serious discussion however is healthy.  I am not getting Ajulio's cartoons that much, is that the best they have?  Ryan is a threat so more will come.  I cringe thinking Biden is but a heartbeat away, and the difference between Biden and Ryan is massive.  I wish there was more than one debate between the two..I am not missing that show for nothing...

Re: Hey Girl. It's Paul Ryan

jason5683
AJ,

I make a good honest under 250K a year and I am considered middle-class in America.  I am honestly undecided and did not vote at all in 2008.  I am Catholic conservative, but have no issue with gay rights or other democratic strong points.  I watch Fox and CNN, agree and disagree with both.

You don't have to convince me, but for the sake of "healthy debate" as Chivis says; please enlighten an undecided voter.

1. How had Obama made my life better in 4 years?
2. How will Romney make it worse?

Thanks,
Jason
12