Have the Zetas (and other cartels) been reduced to major street gangs.

Have the Zetas (and other cartels) been reduced to major street gangs.

realme1990
I say major street gangs because they control whole town's illicit activities with local structures but no nationwide command and control organization they once were. When I search of Zetas rap music all I see is pictures of 18-22 years old posing with aks.
"If it quack like a duck shoot it"

Re: Have the Zetas (and other cartels) been reduced to major street gangs.

DD
IMO that is govt. propaganda that there is only 2 viable cartels operating in Mx.

Show me reliable verifiable numbers that show a reduction in drug usage in US, a reduction of drugs crossing the border and I might believe the cartels have been reduced to street gangs.  If you can't show those numbers, I might believe some cartels have adopted a different "business model".

If it is not the cartels who else is trafficking the drugs to US, who else is importing some drugs from CA, growing, manufacturing, packaging them, transporting them to US, and distributing them in US?

Re: Have the Zetas (and other cartels) been reduced to major street gangs.

Anon
I guess the question is when does a gang turn into a cartel and vice versa. Not all street gangs are the same. I mean an organization like the Latin Kings are much more organized then a group like Tango Blast. Some gangs (la eme, AB, Hells Angels etc.,) are criminal organizations, whereas some are just local groups of kids. So when I look at a group like Los Zetas, right now, I don't see them as much more sophisticated than some other gangs. A better comparison would be Bario Azteca (a gang) and la linea (an enforcer group for a cartel), I mean they are basically at the same level. So, if it is said that some cartels are basically street gangs, it doesn't mean that they aren't  vicious criminal organizations. To me it means that they don't have the contacts and capacity to traffic drugs in a streamlined process. Anyway, it really is all semantics. Especially because "drug cartel" is nothing more than a media term. It's not a legal definition, it's not a formal business organization, it is whatever the media wants it to be.

Re: Have the Zetas (and other cartels) been reduced to major street gangs.

Maddy
@  Dd

What is lMO?..im sorry but I don't understand these 2015 abbreviations. Hence everyone has their own meaning. WHAT Is lmo?

Re: Have the Zetas (and other cartels) been reduced to major street gangs.

Maddy
Zetas rap music? Of course your gonna come across 18yrs olds. Zetas rap music is different from Zetas sicarios. But yes you do have a point actually cause they're kids too(sicarios).

Try searching Zetas execution videos for instance the one where they kill 4 woman including one called commandanta güera. You'll see adults there.

Re: Have the Zetas (and other cartels) been reduced to major street gangs.

Anon
IMO= In my opinion

Re: Have the Zetas (and other cartels) been reduced to major street gangs.

_Bones
Arent there a lot of recent studies showing a decrease in the use of cocaine and an increase in the use of heroin and meth? And seeing as zetas arent known to traffic in much heroin or meth, it makes sense. Besides less cartels wouldnt necessarily mean less drugs. It could in fact mean more drugs. Less competition = more business. Look at wal mart

Re: Have the Zetas (and other cartels) been reduced to major street gangs.

Anon
It's funny, I never really thought about it, but opium is pretty much a western Mexican crop. So basically the Sinaloa cartel can pretty much corner Heroin. But regardless, the main reason for the reduction in the power of most of the cartels has been the fact that 1) the bosses have all been arrested and 2) they have been killing each other constantly for years now. I think it is misleading to call these guys "just" a street gang. Some street gangs can be very organized and a pretty big f---ing problem. So the US and Mexican government need to keep hammering all of the drug cartels and attack the corruption of the politicians and bankers as much as possible. There will always be smuggling of drugs from Mexico, but both countries have a real interest in not allowing the traffickers to get too powerful, and reducing their power is really all you can hope for in the end.