HELP

BB is going to interview the director of Cartel land.  The documentary targets vigilantes of the US an Michoacán's autodefensas led by Doc Mireles.

My concern was how autodefensas may be portrayed and Doc M.  Hollywood takes liberties as we know.  But I have assured the promoter I simply want to know what we are promoting, and posting it on our website and social media would be doing that.

He prefers a Skype or tel interview.  I personally do not, because it is my policy not to have my voice "out there".  But we agreed to began with questions.

that is where I need your help.

I could not get the first video to embed so please use this link http://www.traileraddict.com/cartel-land/featurette-meet-the-artists

it is an important clip because it is the director explaining the premise of the movie.

Re: HELP

Re: HELP

Ed-Oak

Re: HELP

Soliado
Chivis, if I understand your post correctly, you are asking us to pose questions that could be asked of the director of this documentary, correct?

1. From everything that he saw and learned while filming Cartel Land, what should or can the governments of the world do to reduce the power of the drug cartels and the violence that cartels wreak upon innocents?

2. If Dr. Mireles and the autodefensas he led, had been allowed to continue combating cartels in Michoacan without interference from the Mexican government, does he believe Dr. Mireles' group would ultimately have been successful?

3. Elected officials, some members of U.S. law enforcement, and certain segments of U.S. citizens place the blame for the drug cartels, cartel violence and corruption upon Mexico. How big of a role does the marketplace or demand play into the success of cartels, drug trafficking and the corruption of governments?

4. Politicians, especially presidential candidates continue calling for the building of a fence or wall along the entire international border separating the U.S. and Mexico. Does he believe that the construction of such a barrier would be effective in reducing transnational drug trafficking or human smuggling?  Why or why not?

5. From the knowledge and insight he gained filming this documentary, would the decriminalization of narcotic drug laws, such as the laws prohibiting the use of heroin, cocaine and to a lesser extent marijuana, truly have the desired effect of putting drug cartels out of business and a correlating cessation to cartel related violence?

6. What can the Mexican government do better/to improve upon in their efforts combating the cartels?

7. What can the Mexican government do to improve their relationships with their own people to obtain more information, intelligence, tips on drug operations, criminal investigations in general?

8. How much has the environment in Mexico suffered as a result of cartel methamphetamine production? What type of damage to the environment did you personally see? Are there any type of cleanup efforts performed at large scale drug labs? (I pretty much know the answer just want to confirm if possible)

9. Did the efforts of the citizen patrols along the U.S. side of the international border produce any positive results while you were embedded with them? Did you witness any drug seizures, or interruption of drug mules carrying narcotics into and through the U.S., or the interception of humans being smuggled across into the U.S?

I'm sure that I will have additional questions, which I'll forward to you.

Re: HELP

Sorry, IMO that is a silly question.

Re: HELP

Thank you very much for the thoughtful questions!

and yes it is of the director.  He was given unprecedented access to AD and Michoacana because of Doc M.

Re: HELP

@chivis.  Here are the first 2 things that come to my mind.

First;

You state that the parallelism of the two groups fascinated you and is what prompted you to do the movie.  That the "parallel story about vigilantism" is what you wanted to create.

I would agree that the Ariz. group is an armed "vigilante group" .  They are essentially taking the law into their own hands.  They are part of the "secure the border" movement that doesn't believe the govt. is doing enough even though  there are close to 40,000 BP agents, DEA, and military that are doing essentially the same thing as the militia group.  Theirs is more of a political statement.

 I don't agree with your characterazation of Dr. Mireles self defense group as a vigilante group.  There was no effective law enforcement where they were fighting.  What prompted them to take up arms and fight the cartels was that there was no one else protecting them and their families.  They had no choice.

Even though the MSM unfairly continues to do so do you think characterizing them as vigilantes (conjuring up images of Pancho Villa types which is more sensationalist and sells better) rather than self defense groups creates a negative image in the public mind.

Second question.  In your acceptance speech at Sundance you said:

“It’s such an honor to be here. I want to dedicate this award to the victims of the senseless violence that has been perpetuated by the drug wars in Mexico. More than 80,000 people murdered and more than 20,000 people missing, my heart goes out to all of them. This award is for them,”

Rather than just dedicating the award to those that have suffered due to cartel violence, would you consider donating part of the proceeds from the box office to help the families of the 350+ of the incarcerated self-defense members who were wrongly imprisoned, (in effect political prisoners), by a corrupt government simply for trying to defend themselves and their families, and maybe use some of the money to assist in efforts to free Dr. Mireles?

Re: HELP

Mexico-Watcher
Chivis:  ...hope I'm not too late to jump in with my 2 cents worth. I have many Qs, but I'll just pose a few that I am most curious about.

First, congratulations on the belated consult and wish BB had been consulted before or while the documentary was being produced.   Better late than never. I hope we ( the BB community ) establish a good working relationship with the principles involved in the documentary. I also hope that the cosult results in followup documentaries in which BB will have important imput.

2nd, I fully understand that the documentary has too be an artistic as well as commercial success... and, these practical realities place constraints and limitations on the final product. I also understand that some of the constraints are probably, ethical, legal, economic, security, too graphic, and politically sensitive in nature.

3rd, given item 2 above, I am sure that a great deal of important videographic "data " did not get included in the final product.
1. There must be mountains of good edited out material or data that did not getminto the final product.

Fourth,  I undrstand that trailers are promotional samplers designed to  attract certain  types of viewer factions. As such, they often are very disapointing for serious students of any given topic. I do not expect 100% of anything and will be happy with 60% or more of quality material.

Now, my questions:
1. What   are the reasons or purposes of the documentary?  Is there an agenda in the product? Tell us the real story.
2. What is going to happen to l the data that did not get included in the documentary?.
3.  BB has immense data and people resources, how can these be used in future high quality projects.

Chivis, there is lots on your plate, have fun.  I am sure you will totally blow the dude's mind with your depthmand breadth of knowledge on 'topics ranging from A to Z that BB regularly deals with.  Buena suerte, amiga.

Mexico-Watcher

Jay

Re: HELP

Jay
Personally, I'd be interested to hear if he has any insights now about how piss poor education and overall job opportunities for the young contribute to the problems with the cartels. I know the answers may be fairly obvious, but if stated openly, it might embarass the Mx. government?

Re: HELP

Rubbertoe
Did he discover any strong direct evidence of the involvement of the governments, either in support or against either movement, that he did not include in the movie for political reasons or other reasons. If so why ?

Re: HELP

Rubbertoe proposed part of the third question I would have.

Did he uncover any evidence of government corruption in Mexico or any ties between the government and the cartels.

Re: HELP

Rubbertoe
I would be interested to hear him discuss how the intrusion of cameras influenced the footage of his 'Documentary' particularly in two markedly different cultures. Was he aware of it and what did he do to mitigate this influence .

Also, how did the hope of winning an award influenced his editing. Does he dismiss these concerns or  does he evidence interest and concern. If he categorically denies either possibility, he has his head in the sand and the film will be unduly influenced by his personal interests.

Re: HELP

I apologize for not giving greater clarity.

Her is my understanding:

Matthew set out to film a documentary on the south US border about a group of vigilantes formed to keep Mexican narcos in Mexico.

While he was there someone shared an article of "vigilantes" in Michoacan.

He immediately went to Mich and met Doc M.

There was no deep research, and I look at the project as a snipet of time floating apart from the 100 year AD history.   I am guessing that will be missing, the focus is what was happening at that moment, at that place, with those players.  if that makes sense.

He walked away knowing more than 99.9999999% of people outside Mexico about AD.
BUT...I am sure he knows a tiny fraction of what we at BB know to be fact about the same.

I can sit here and do nothing but bitch how wrong, uninformed or young he looks, which gains nothing.
Or I can use this film as a format to present some facts and challenge an inaccurate perception.

Doc M is my friend.  His last text and emails to me were sent only 2 and 3 hrs before his arrest.  I don't want to hurt my friend who is being abused by the government of Mexico, so I am taking a chance.  I realize that I may not like the film, but if it is presented honestly I accept that.  Doc would not have allowed the film maker to shadow him if he had not felt good about his intentions.

This film was one that was not planned on.

I plan on sending the first batch of Qs tomorrow

Re: HELP

katattx
I thought the same thing as ed oak. It seems like very little in common between the wackos on the USA side, and the ADs. Totally different goals, motivations, socioeconomic backgrounds, and more. I'm definitely going to see the movie at some point, but I'm skeptical of the factual basis for a valid comparison between the two movements

Re: HELP

narconoia
Hello, long time lurker and avid BB reader here to throw my $0.02 into the thread.

As Chivis expressed above, while I will watch this documentary with interest, I have some reservations about the way that the legitimate AD will be portrayed. It seems to me that 99% of the time, English-language press speaks of Mireles & his compañeros in the same context as the traitors of Americano and Papa Pitufo, etc. I attribute this to poorly-informed but perhaps well-intentioned journalists who do not put their ear to the ground to correctly tell these stories.

From the few brief clips I've seen of Matthew Heineman talking about the film and his interest in the subject matter, I can reasonably deduce that he too approaches the AD movement in Michoacan with little background knowledge or a solid frame of reference to place everything into proper context. (I have also seen this same problem with some Vice News contributors.)

So with that in mind, why in the world would Heineman want to involve Katheryn Bigelow with this film? For thus unfamiliar, Bigelow directed & produced "Zero Dark Thirty," the film that claims to portray the US hunt for bin Laden but builds its bogus narrative on the erroneous assertion that CIA torture helped yield OBL's whereabouts. This is chief among several significant lies of ZDT, and this critique of the film is not too uncommon (certainly from people who read their news instead of watching it on TV). To put it bluntly, ZDT is US government-assisted propaganda (State Department & CIA find themselves in showbiz a lot in post-9/11 America).

The naivete of the director Heineman would probably make influencing the narrative or perspective of "Cartel Land" easier than it should be, and with someone as discredited as Bigelow in charge, it leaves me with a sick feeling like I'm not going to enjoy this film for some reason or another. Maybe it'll suggest a series of solutions to the border "crisis" and Mexico's corruption & crime that US thinktanks have been promoting on behalf of General Dynamics, Boeing, Raytheon, Elbit, Halliburton, associated contractors, etc.

Lastly, I also 2nd DD's suggestion: Heineman should donate big buck$ to the Jose Mireles legal defense fund (to help with the Doc and the others unjustly detained). The fact that Mireles is still imprisoned is an appalling outrage.

Re: HELP

Soliado
Narconoia, I enjoyed reading your post. Very well structured, excellent points to consider. I would like to read more of what you have to say.

Re: HELP

Maddy
First of all, saludos mi chivis y un fuérte abrázo for this gorgeous and awesome post.
Good job guys.

All you guys commenting and with questions, dam give all you guys a grand applause. You guys make great sense and great topic each of you have. BB has some great readers and members, I'm sure especially a film maker can make great use of us.

I'm sure Dr.Mireles would be darn happy if he were to ever stroll by our lovely website to see all the support he has from each and one of us.

Un pinche sálud dé tequíla pa BB.

Re: HELP

I am an eternal optimist.

Keep in mind this man has agreed to talk to me and specifically wants to "talk to BB readers"

While I appreciate the outpouring of protection and thoughts  of protecting Doc M, remember HE AGREED to the film makers access.  Had he not, I would not touch this in any way.

Which was my first knee jerk response and I did not respond to the promoter  who then contacted other BB admins.

I can’t go into this with an attitude and present myself as hostile or rude.  Unless I have reason to.
But I can say I feel it is unfair for readers to project prejudgment coming from a well-schooled position.
Really HOW MUCH DID YOU KNOW BEFORE READING BB???

I knew little to none about AD, but I found Doc M by incredible luck, and detective work and was able to fax his little clinic.  From there this friendship and trust grew.  He was my teacher, but I took it upon myself to dig in research, not an easy task.

We have/had a trust in which I could ask anything.  I recall when Anabel Hernandez wrote her bullshit about Doc M.  I have little respect for her because of many flaws and outright fabrications in her chapo book and other writings.  Her “expose” of Doc fell flat and went no where.  It was at a time when Proceso was playing tricks with interviews with Doc M, right after Hernandez joined Proceso.  Luckily Doc records ALL interviews.  Proceso’s headline

“They want war we will give them war” was never, ever said, and I have never heard Doc speak like that.

He cut off all further interviews with proceso.
Then Anabel wrote her garbage.  I asked for his reaction.  He readily answered my questions and said an all telling thing.

“Who is this Anabel Hernandez?”  This person I do not know?  this person I have not met, this person I have never communicated with?  Have you Chivis ever found difficulty in communicating with me?  Should not a fair and truthful journalist seek the truth?  Shouldn’t the input of the subject be included?  Shouldn’t this journalist have travelled to Michoacán and speak with us and the people?”

I can say he never shied away from any question I asked.  And I asked EVERYTHING.  I know personal aspects of his life, his pain from losing his children who turned their backs on him for becoming involved with the movement, his ex-wife, and who in his family he trusts etc.  We discussed and bumped heads over Smurf, Abuelo and Americano.  I warned him about these people and I did not trust them.    Later in a recording A woman identified as Ana his former wife says Abuelo had ordered Doc killed just before he was arrested.

Re: HELP

itsmeagain
I would not want to touch Bigelow with a 10 ft pole. She has the US military industrial complex written all accross her forehead.

The US involvement in the drug business is murky and its wake is full of dead and mutilated bodies. As a reminder I love this from the Zetas: http://deadlinelive.info/2012/09/27/los-zetas-accuse-the-dea-of-running-the-gulf-drug-cartel/

Re: HELP

Mireles will be free in 72 hours? According to the Grillonautas Channel on Youtube it is a possibility. I don't think this is the first time "Priscilla" has announced a possible Mireles release. This time it sounds like it could happen. Anybody know what the deal is?

12