Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

leChef

The Attorney General of the Republic (FGR) apprehended Jose Angel Casarrubias Salgado AKA El Mochomo in José Metepec, Estado de México. He is the alleged leader of the Guerreros Unidos criminal group, involved in the disappearance of the 43 Ayotzinapa normalistas in September 2014.

Federal government officials indicated that elements of the Federal Ministerial Police complied with the arrest warrant issued by a federal judge, for their probable responsibility for the crime of organized crime.

El Mochomo was admitted to the maximum security federal prison in the Altiplano, in the State of Mexico.

José Ángel Casarrubias is the brother of the former leaders of the aforementioned criminal organization, Sidronio and Adán Zenen, who were detained in the last administration by the events of Iguala.

El Mochomo filed a writ of amparo against the arrest warrant against him and a judge granted him a provisional suspension, but as it is a crime that merits ex-officio prison, he will remain in prison.

Source:
https://www.milenio.com/policia/detienen-angel-casarrubias-mochomo-lider-guerreros-unidos

Background article on BB:
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2015/11/the-casarrubias-brothers-leaders-of.html

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

Chava
MX

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

MX
@Chava: That's Alfredo Beltran Leyva (AKA El Mochomo). He's in the U.S. serving life.

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

Chava
Wow! OOPS I'll remove. one chomo too many. Wonder why the story link has his photo?

https://regeneracionpuebla.com/2020/06/29/aprehenden-a-el-mochomo-implicado-en-la-desaparicion-de-los-43-de-ayotzinapa/
MX

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

MX
Judge ordered his release hours after he was arrested!

https://www.milenio.com/policia/mochomo-juez-ordena-liberacion-caso-ayotzinapa

MX

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

MX
He was re-arrested again as he walked out of prison... reminiscent of Menchito.

Why do you think these releases keep happening? Is it corruption or sloppy police work or both?
MX

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

MX
This post was updated on .
Both. But I think it's more sloppy police work in this case. Mexican prosecutors still struggle to gather evidences against defendants. Remember the preventative arrest known as arraigo? It was very common a few years ago. Basically a suspect was kept imprisoned for 80 days or so while the prosecution gathered more evidences and built a case to present in front of a judge.

Arraigo has been greatly reduced since 2016 with the full adoption of Mexico's New Criminal Justice System (Nuevo Sistema de Justicia Penal, NJSP). Now prosecutors need to have the cases ready even before the suspect is arrested. Any error in the case can get the suspect free within hours. Police investigators are still not very adjusted to this change and often hurry to put cases together without realizing mistakes. Lawyers are now looking into these things very carefully. That's how El Marro's mother got released last weekend.

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

leChef
Thanks, that was illuminating. Perhaps their training is inadequate? I read on Wikipedia that even senior officials only have one year of police education. That is actually longer than lower level training in the states, but that is hardly a good measurement.

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

Here is a video of him being released and re-arrested:
https://twitter.com/c4jimenez/status/1278457502754131968
MX

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

MX
Poor training is certainly a big factor here. But I'm also thinking that when everyone was used to a certain standard, it must be very difficult to break away from it. Several experts have commented that Mexico needs to learn how to build cases like U.S. federal prosecutors. I like the idea of it, and I know that the U.S. does and has helped Mexican prosecutors with this. However, a lot of Mexican officials have complained that the intelligence/evidences that the U.S. shares with them is of little use when presented before a Mexican judge.

The U.S. has a very low legal standard for crime when compared to Mexico; "reasonable belief", as simple as a declaration from a federal agent of an informant tip, is admissible in a U.S. courtroom. But not in Mexico. I'm no legal expert but from my understanding Mexico has a higher standard for evidence and have to follow stricter procedures on how they collect it too. That was the big critique with the U.S. Kingpin Act and why oftentimes the same companies/accounts were not frozen in Mexico. Mexico's Financial Intelligence Unit (UIF) has done an amazing job in this administration but may be politically driven.

I've commented here before that the New Criminal Justice System (Nuevo Sistema de Justicia Penal, or NSJP) was a step in the right direction but it had many unintended consequences because some of our laws and best practices were not prepared for it.

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

Chava
The Acapulco newspaper today shows the same photo of Alfredo Beltran being released.

Unbelievable that they keep posting the wrong photos.

I'd give them a phone call.........but..........well, you know...........
MX

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

MX

@MX: Man, you are working hard!
MX

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

MX
@leChef: Chivis should be back anytime today or tomorrow!

BTW, Mexican government is saying El Mochomo tried to bribe the judge. I guess they will never admit that it may also partially be the prosecution's fault.

https://www.milenio.com/policia/mochomo-fgr-audios-ofrecieron-millones-liberarlo

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

Parro
MX, just another source with a bit more information today [BY THE WAY, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO].

They paid millions for the liberation of 'El Mochomo': confirms FGR
Gustavo Castillo

Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 5:09 PM

Mexico City. The Attorney General of the Republic (FGR) revealed that in the case of José Angel Casarrubias Salgado, El Mochomo,  discovered the payment of several million pesos made by people close to who is considered one of the leaders of the Guerreros Unidos cartel, to be granted freedom in the accusation for which he was arrested.

José Angel Casarrubias, El Mochomo , is identified by the Mexican authorities as one of the most important involved in the disappearance of the 43 Ayotzinapa normalistas and was arrested in recent days, based on an arrest warrant issued in 2014 for his alleged involvement in the crime of organized crime, however, after being presented before the Second District Court, this organ of the Judicial Power resolved to issue an order for his release.

The Federal Public Ministry proceeded to arrest him before he left Cefereso No. 1, which is located in Almoloya de Juárez, State of Mexico and a few minutes ago reported that the Second Court did not review 21 tests that had been accepted in 2014 and that supported the accusation against El Mochomo.

The FRG announced that it will keep El Mochomo in custody, who is preparing the file to request a new arrest warrant against him for the facts related to the disappearance of the 43 of the Ayotzinapa normal.

[HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE 43 FOR AWHILE.  I WAS TURNED ON TO THIS STORY IN PUEBLA, WHILE VISITING A SECTION OF AN ART GALLERY.  I COULDN'T BELIEVE THE STORY.  SO TRAGIC, HEART-BREAKING, RECKLESS STORY IN AGUILA, GUERRERO.  HOPEFULLY, MOCHOMO WILL FIND TRUE JUSTICE, IN THIS ATROCITY]

Re: Guerreros Unidos leader arrested

A better picture of Mochomo