Government will not stop capos; The war is over: AMLO

Government will not stop capos; The war is over: AMLO

Mica
Milenio

JANNET LÓPEZ PONCE
Mexico City /30.01.2019 10:32:36
This government has not arrested organized crime capos because "the war is over," said President Andrés Manuel López Obrador at a press conference.

López Obrador said that he will continue to focus on addressing the causes of violence, since this strategy is already taking place, at least resulting in the reduction of daily homicides.

"Capos have not been arrested because that is not our strategy. It is no longer the intention to arm operatives against capos, what we want is to reduce insecurity by attending to the causes, "he told a press conference.

The President stressed that "there is no war, officially there is no war because what we want is peace" and he said that he will continue to focus on addressing the causes of violence, since this strategy is already resulting in at least the reduction of daily homicides.  According to the safety report he received this morning, he said, yesterday there were 54 homicides after the average of the last months did not fall below 80.

"And that made me feel very satisfied, that is why we are going to continue attending the causes, giving social programs, listening, attending; that is the fundamental thing for us: to go to the root to guarantee peace and security, not spectacular, spectacular arrests, "he said.

Re: Government will not stop capos; The war is over: AMLO

I saw that this morning.....The language is very strong, the intent is more muddled.  It feels very much like a retreat or open surrender.  He didn't say we will focus on financial structures, or less of a kingpin approach. He said we're done.

I agree that the kingpin strategy is flawed and complicated, but how do bring justice?  The US is going to be very concerned about this from a Department of Justice standpoint.  It sounds like near an offer of impuntiy, BEYOND what already exists.

Re: Government will not stop capos; The war is over: AMLO

Mica
This will be a test for Mexico and all who believe the Kingpin strategy does not work.  Now we will have something to compare it to.  AMLO foolishly said murders are going down.  Anybody here believe that?

Re: Government will not stop capos; The war is over: AMLO

Parro
Not here, too many killings.  Pemex is a great oil company, fuel theft has been resolved as well? AMLO is delivering a message people want to hear, with no facts to back it up.  Remember December, when he stated violence is already declining due to the election?  He might be smoking too much pot.

Re: Government will not stop capos; The war is over: AMLO

Mica
Parro I agree, the fuel theft is so excessive now, cartels are bragging and videos are hourly on social media.  Looked at pictures today showing the floor rug up and connected to a pipeline.

Re: Government will not stop capos; The war is over: AMLO

The timing of this makes question if it meant to negotiate something with Trump, possibly with the border, migrants, etc...

Re: Government will not stop capos; The war is over: AMLO

Mica
https://www.instagram.com/mxhuachicol/
Here is an account to follow

Re: Government will not stop capos; The war is over: AMLO

So AMLO is going to talk Mexico out of violence. If only that would work.

There is a lot of talk and articles about how the kingpin strategy is a failure, but I have yet to see any of those critics offer an alternative. There have been plenty of cases where violence has decreased after a violent capo was arrested, and also the opposite due to fragmentation and in-fighting in the power hierarchy. That fragmentation can happen anyways at any time if the capo dies naturally or from challengers. To say that we are not going after these illegal powerhouses, is pure resignation and sends the wrong moral signal and just makes him suspicious. I still suspect he got ties to drug trafficking after his family was involved with the Palenque cartel. I hope I am wrong.

I think the kingpin strategy is fine, but should be refined with more razor-sharp operations instead of going broad after everybody at the same time. In addition, social programs and education at the lower tier and massive public corruption investigations for the upper echelon would be a good start.

There is chatter about AMLO sending special forces to Tamaulipas and that that big shootout where they found 45 bodies, really was the work of the government. That would be a good start too. Perhaps he has a hidden agenda?

Re: Government will not stop capos; The war is over: AMLO

oner
It's a tricky one, what to do.

The big answer is clean up corruption at all levels. Have a police force/military people can trust. (Not going to happen)

So what to do? It's the innocent people, business owners that suffer most.

Does he go full force on the violent capos, send in special forces to eliminate the worst?

Make deals with the less violent? Draw up territory treaty's with said party's... Keep murders and extortion down and you can operate?

I dunno. But if helps the innocent people out maybe could work.

Time will tell.

Re: Government will not stop capos; The war is over: AMLO

Mica
There is a new article out today that says Mexico got worse in the corruption scale.