Quantcast

Get Off Your Asses

Locked 38 messages Options

Get Off Your Asses

Pardon the language but Chivis has asked in a polite way (like the lady that she is), to no avail  for more readers to become involved posting stories.  So I am resorting to a more direct blunt appeal.

We are all grieving over Chivis upcoming departure from BB.  She has done so much to make BB a success no one will ever fill her shoes.  Unquestionably she has done more than anyone except Buggs (and a lot of his is in the background).  But her leaving does not mean that BB has to die a slow death.

Readers and reader participation is what built BB.  Collectively we as the readers and members of our great blog can and should make it work.  There are some great writers that post on the Forum and a lot of their stories should go on the main page as well as the forum.  But a reader does not have to be a great writer to be involved.  There are more stories out there that should be on BB than we can possibly print.

There is nothing wrong with "cut and paste" stories.  Our role model Chivis uses cut and paste at times.  Sometimes she adds info from other stories or takes the facts from other stores and writes the story in her own words.  We all do that and you can too.

We have all taken Chivis for granted.  Even though I have been a reporter for awhile I had slacked off posting on main page.  thinking "Chivis has it covered, front page doesn't need my story".  Since she asked for more participation from all of us I have been posting more on front page and intend to do more as I get back in the groove.

Front page stories are a little more difficult (God I love Nabble) because of "Google Blog" formatting but it can be mastered fairly quickly.  (Itzi is a good example of that).

What has made BB unique and successful is that it is reader powered.  Their continued involvement is crucial if BB is going to continue as a premier site for information on Mexican cartels and the war on drugs, violence, corruption,  and so much more.

I was embarrassed today when I looked at the Forum.  It is noon my time and there is not a single new thread today.  Yesterday, the 26th there were 2, on the 25th there were 4 new threads but on the 245h there were only 3 new threads, the 23rd 2, the 22nd 4.

Get off your asses!!!!

Re: Get Off Your Asses

ThinkTank

Re: Get Off Your Asses

Itzli
I think it's a combination. I've noticed in the past that there is a drop in posts on the weekends. But at the same time the Forum is very much hidden in the new format. I thought it was gone too, I actually got back on here by going through my browser history. Just my two cents, for what it's worth, but based on the recent headaches, I agree that an alternative to Blogger should at the very least be considered.

Re: Get Off Your Asses

Pepe

Re: Get Off Your Asses

I'm in, I will be posting stories on main board, if things get that bad I'd offer to buy the domain name from whoever if I have to, and keep it as my own, and at a minimum it will be a Tijuana/Sinaloa blog.

There are so many people that this isn't really an issue, if even 10% help, with someone on the back end.

As for the format, yes, it's hard to look at, but at first reading Chivis post I thought we lost all the years of stories, and was relived it was not the case.  Nevertheless, should improve upon. If it's an issue of money, we can all pay someone to handle it, or I'll do it on my own, just let me know who to coordinate with.  A web developer will do this for less then 1k, like 500 and under.

Re: Get Off Your Asses

My comments certainly were not directed at you.  You are one of the best writers and researchers on BB, and I know you put a lot of time into it.  I am retired and have more time than you, but when I was an administrator I put in 10 or 12 hour days quite often.  Since then, I  slacked off some to 2 9 3 hours a day, but the last few weeks after Chivis call for help I have been doing 7 or 8 hours a day.  There are only 24 hours a day for most people so I don't know how in the hell Chivis writes so many stories.

I fuss a lot (and Chivis has called one or two out for it) about members who write a line or 2 about a story and then post a link.  Your have developed a style on the Forum where you give a good synopsis or the story and then post a link to it.  You give enough to let the reader decide if he wants to read the whole story.  I expect more people in the future will emulate what you do.

  Your interest and mine are very similar.  The bigger issues, politics, corruption, poverty, and education interest me a lot more than who is taking whose place in some cell that I never heard of.

I know you will give what you can and even though I have no official capacity other than a reader and a reporter I just wanted you to know that IMO BB needs your participation.

Re: Get Off Your Asses

Bajadrone-2

Re: Get Off Your Asses

zack
I have been living in Guanajuato for a year now and would be happy to contribute. My primary issue being that I don't think my Spanish is strong enough for translating.

Re: Get Off Your Asses

Itzli
Don't mean to get off topic, but if I may ask, what part of Guanajuato? My father's side of my family and my wife are from the Celaya area.

Re: Get Off Your Asses

ThinkTank

Re: Get Off Your Asses

spike151
Hi DD , I wrote to Buela and told her I would help out . DD thinking about what you and Pepe said , I have an hour free most days , speak pretty good spanish , can translate without having to use an online translator. If there are sites that need to be monitored everyday for breaking news , instead of all checking the same news sites, why dont we put all the sites that need checking into a pot , and assign a number of sites to each person who wants to make a daily contribution. That way we can all cover whats needs to be covered with the least time spent researching. We all have lives to live outside of BB, what do you think?

Re: Get Off Your Asses

Bajadrone-2

Re: Get Off Your Asses

Pepe

Re: Get Off Your Asses

Pepe

Re: Get Off Your Asses

you are correct think tank!
I have received dozens of complaints, and I have posted 4 times now in comments and in a post that one can use the forum Blue hyperlink found on far right column, or, as I always do, use our url.

Re: Get Off Your Asses

hey compa..we did it again, I saw the post and pinned it, then read the comments and your suggestion.  too funny pepe

Re: Get Off Your Asses

hola dd

I just saw this , thank you so much.  I am sure you read my good bye post, I did not expect to get so many beautiful comments, usually only sparked when a big capo is killed or captured jajaja

I am feeling the love, WOW, not only for me but for BB.  But the post is being past around social media and people are sadden that BB may close.  it said this:

Sad news: the @Borderland_Beat blog, which plays crucial role in detailing the drug war, faces an uncertain future

bloggers and journalists alike are spreading the news.

I have received over 200 emails on the subject, many from some pretty well known people.  There is a rumor of a threat to me from zetas.  so much shit in so little time.

agents wrote to me.  5 from BP, saying not only do they love the blog, but they NEED the blog.
I am humbled by it all.

the comments have been so warm, only 3 I could not post, two were from perverts.

The fire house in Texas was a favorite, all the firefighters there follow BB, they were tickled when I shared my Son was a fire fighter, then engineer, now fire  captain.  their "brother in battle".

anyway, I know what I know, and sometimes isn't so, but this is for real and for sure, it would be heartbreaking if BB did not continue

Re: Get Off Your Asses

spike
can you resend the email and put FROM SPIKE in the subject?  to flag it?
I am getting hundreds of emails per day and my FB etc goes there, so it can soon get lost

Re: Get Off Your Asses

@Spike.  I tried sending you an email about 7:30  this morning via your email address on your profile on BB.  It got returned as "undeliverable to recipient", and further down in the gobbly gook it said "for policy reason".

I don't know WTF is going on with emails, but here is what I was trying to send you:  (I don't know if your email ady on your profile is wrong.  I don't see anything in this that cause non delivery "for policy" reasons.)

Hey Spike.  Appreciated your response to my post about readers participating.  Let me give some thought to your suggestion about dividing up websites and I'll get back to you on that.

If you have not already been bombarded with requests for help in translating, I have one that you might could help on.  I can do fairly well in translating written Spanish, but translating spoken Spanish  gives me a problem, especially if the speaker talks to fast for me.

This video might make a good post and if you can and have the time, if you could translate into text or even give a gist of what he is saying. I would appreciate it.  If you want to you can post the video with a text translation or send me the text and I will post it giving you credit for the translation.  If you can or can't, please let me know.  My email is dad4BB@yahoo.com.

The link to the video is ;

http://mexfiles.net/2014/10/26/still-think-theyre-alive/

Thanks

Re: Get Off Your Asses

El Plata
Chivis my friend, I would be happy to help out in any capacity. I haven't been able to post much lately because of work, but that has all changed recently. I would be able to dedicate a good amount of time to the site. I must admit I would be very very sad to see you go, but I completely understand. I do hope that you decide to stay around in some fashion as your work and contributions are greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there is anything whatsoever that I can do to contribute.
El que a cuchillo mata, a cuchillo muere.