GUATE UPDATE: EL PELON ARRESTED FOR MASSACRE; Z200 KILLS PROSECUTOR;CDG REASON FOR SLAUGHTER

GUATE UPDATE: EL PELON ARRESTED FOR MASSACRE; Z200 KILLS PROSECUTOR;CDG REASON FOR SLAUGHTER

5/24/11...Z200 kills federal prosecutor: el pelon arrestred mastermind of massacre...

San Benito, Petén. . Apparently this person was responsible for directing the group that killed the farmers, "said President Alvaro Colom, minutes after the National Civil Police (PNC) to stopped and arrested  Estuardo Morales Pineda, in this northern city department Petén. Morales Pineda, alías "El Pelón", is the high commander os security forces for the group Z200 and is responsible for the slaughter of 29 persons on May 15.

The capture culminated one week of intelligence gathering by the National Civil Police.

Notable:  Otto Salguero is now called Drug Lord in the Guatemala press and whose whereablout remain unknown.

Prosecutor Murdered by Z200

Human rights groups condem the murder of Assistant prosecutor Allan Stowlinsky Vidaurre whose dismembered body was found today with a note from Z200.  Stowlinsky Vidal 36, was kidnapped as he left the prosecution building last night.  Guate authorities suspect the killing was retaliation of a seizure of cocaine made in March in Alta Verpaz.

The contents of the letter left by Z200 were not disclosed to the public.

SOURCES: siglo Guate and latin american herald, stratfor, reuters...

5/22/11 manta cdg story below this first little jajajajaj

5/22/11..BDN JUST POSTED THE MANTA STORY (24 HRS AFTER OURS).  NOW MIND YOU I HAVE A PIC OF THE 3 Zs BUT CHOSE NOT TO POST BUT HOTDAMN THE PIC BDN POSTED JUST MADE ME LMAO.  here it is..jajaja  badass ZETA..i do have a great stratfor analysis about the Guate issue...in a few hours..
5/21/11...HOLY MOLEY I DID NOT SEE THIS ONE COMING!

THIS MORNING ZETAS WERE ARRESTED AS THEY WERE HANGING MANTAS ON BRIDGES, IN TWO CITIES CLOSE TO THE CAPITAL.  THE MANTA MESSAGES ALL WENT SOMETHING LIKE THIS IN THE FOTO.    SO OTTO IS THE SUPPLIER TO CDG...READ AND SEE PIC OF ONE OF THE MANTAS.....

" The war is not with the civilian population, nor with the government, much less with the press.  It is against the people who work with Gulfo, and against Otto Salguero ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT SUPPLIERS OF COCAINE TO GOLFO.  Those who paid with their lives were workers who maintained the organization.

Reporters: Quit your bullshit (or quit fucking around) before this war gets aimed or directed) at you. You've been forewarned.

The one who notifies (advises) is not the traitor"

Atte  "Z200"

thanks Ove for help with the last sentence!!!!
5/20/11 THE GUY IN THE PIC IS RUDEL ALVAREZ...GOVERNOR OF PETEN GUATE.  HE CAME OUT WITH THE ANSWER OF JUST WHAT HELL DID OTTO DO TO PISS OFF THE Zs TO PROVOKE THE SLAUGHTER
.  HE SAYS EVERYONE KNOWS THAT OTTO RAN OFF WITH 2K KILOS OF Z COCAINE. THEN HIS TWEET WAS A LITTLE MORE SUGGESTIVE OF RUMOR BUT IT IS WHAT THE WORD IS ALL THRU GUATE.  OTTO BETTER BE IN A CAVE IN AFGHANISTAN.  AND WHERE IS HIS FAMILY?  Zs are known to go after extended fam members.

and Otto parents and sibs have been doing interviews...Message to fam; ALTO! we know ya love him but....below is an interview w/parents.  ok i used tranlation tool...sorry..but have pity on me plucking along with this netbook...Thanks to the person who sent this to me.....you know who you are.  and here is a pic of Otto.  Y I K E S!!  yo tengo miedo!:

Owner of property where killing occurred in Guatemala denies links to drug traffickers
By Agencia EFE -

Guatemala, May 19 (EFE) .- The Guatemalan Juan Jose Salguero, owner of the property where the thugs of Los Zetas killed 27 peasants last Sunday, today denied ties to drug traffickers and charged that over the past year received death threats.Salguero, 77, was interviewed exclusively by the local radio Sonora es la Noticia (SN) and said his son, Otto Salguero, who seek to murder Los Zetas, "there is a drug dealer."

"My son has never been drug dealer. I can swear and I can give up my life for him," said the septuagenarian, and Otto said walking away and not in Guatemala.

According to the elderly, the death threats against his family began last year when asked ratatouille (money) to his son, but authorities did not take them into account, he noted.

"My son is not charging a needle. It is my right hand, walk to work together. It is an injustice (the killing). I ask the world to investigate because he does not do anyone any harm," said a trembling voice.

Salguego said "it hurts my soul what the press says."

The local daily Prensa Libre published today, in statements attributed only to investigations of anti-drug intelligence units that Los Zetas Otto Salguero seek to kill him because they stole some 2,000 kilos of cocaine and then began to blackmail, and that would be the cause of the killing of his 27 workers.

He argued that his life has been devoted to buying and raising livestock and clarified that the property where the killing was committed is called "San Juan" and not "Los Cocos", as revealed by the authorities.

He explained that each month brought workers to his farm, where he said, have been abandoned 180 cows and 10 bulls "because nobody wants to take them out."

"I'm traumatized, I have fear," he added, insisting that the authorities must investigate to clarify the situation where your family gets involved.

to read the remainder of article:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/epa/article/ALeqM5j5n1dNGsfWG1OrnHL1eswOJ788cw?docId=1533326

5/20/11 FROM FORBES..NOT SURE WHY THE PRES IS SAYING THIS...BUT HERE ARE HIS WORDS
Guatemala's president says Guatemalan drug cartel members were responsible for the massacre of 27 of their countrymen last weekend and there is no indication any Mexican gang members were involved.Officials have blamed the killing of the farmworkers and their relatives on the Mexico-based Zetas cartel, which has spread its operations into neighboring Guatemala.
Colom told a Mexican radio station Friday that the flow of illegal weapons to drug cartels should be cut off to prevent further killings...(I LOVE THE IRONY OF THIS LAST LINE..)

5/19/11..sorry i was ill in bed yesterday and could not update but i have some interesting info..  as bad a we think Mx is in Guatemala city Blackbox reports it is a whopping 78 of 100K!

Much was made of an arrest of Alvaro Gomez Hugo   (the unhappy guy in handcuffs in foto) this week.  Supposedly he was the leader of the Zs and mastermind of the massacre.  I was not going to post the story because honestly I did not believe that they found " clues indicating his involvment at the scene"  and I am always suspect of these high profile quick arrests.  And true to fashion he has now be downgraded to " possibly ONE of the leaders"  whatever, here is his profile;

Gomez Vasquez received the rank of Sgt and completed infantry Kaibil training in 2000
He served between 1995-2004
He formally retired in 2004 after completing the served time required.

Yesterday 2 other Zs were arrested, also Guate-Zs for involment in the massacre they join Gomez-Vasquez in a Max security prison, here is the rub: they are linked to THREE killing at the ranch..huh?  Three?  and kidnapping at the ranch..huh?  that would explain why reports always say " at least 29" killed.
--------
The Guate IVE, (like IRS) is conducting and investigation on all financial transactions of Ottoniel Salguero, who became known as the ranch owner and person who head is wanted by the last letter.  See the message left at the ranch written in blood from a severed limb of a victim.  I don't think I translated the message...here it is;

"What's up, Otto Salguero, you bastard? We are going to find you and behead you, too. —Sincerely, Z200."

Giving Otto a heads up so to speak..sad the peasants paid the price for Otto's cross against the Zs.
---------------
I thought I would post the first hand accounts that were immediately posted on twitter along with fotos as the story happened and updates frequently:

on twitter TEKANDI PANIAGUA  " violence continued today,Two men were killed and one suspect in the massacre was taken into custody after a confrontation with police Monday morning, while grenades were tossed at a home and business in a town near San Benito, where the bodies were taken for identification" He travelled to the site and discribed:

Tweeting from the site, Tekandi reorted the horror he saw as "scenes from a horror movie," with the farmworkers' residences torn apart, belongings shredded, blood everywhere. Tekandi described what he witnessed as "unforgettable and horrendous," adding, "I honestly believe that [now] only God can rescue Guatemala."

@Tekandi: All the rooms of the finca [farm] in Peten were upside down, doors were forced, shoes dispersed on the floor, clothes and lots of blood. A total horror.

@Tekandi also links to pictures [WARNING: strong content] showing the brutality of the perpetrated crimes.

In the following tweets, Mauricio Vinicio Matta (@maurinho6), based in Petén, shares that he can hear helicopters, patrols, and people are scared. He affirms that it is the first time something like this happens in Petén, that streets are deserted [es] and that they can hear gun shots from different points of the center of the city:

@maurinho6: @KarlaCalvillo Karlita soy de Peten y t comento que las calles estan solitarias y se oyen disparos en diferentes puntos del area central

LuisFi writes the war will only bring a legacy of brutality and death and it is clear Guatemala cannot win.    It is a myth that the failed war on drugs will end with narco-related crime and violence. However, it is true that drugs lead to violence and the dead, in this war, are ours. And it is also true that Guatemala lacks resources to combat criminality and many of the limited resources we have are wasted in this lost war. But that is not the worst part. The worst part is that, as in any war, the greatest losses are counted by counting the number of deceased persons. In this particular case, the people beheaded.

If we follow the experiences in Colombia, Mexico and Petén, we know what to expect in this war we know what results in failure. Certainly, it is time to rethink this war.

THE BLACK BOX A POLITICAL BLOG FROM CENTRAL AMERICA PROVIDES IN CONTEXT A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE COMPLEXITIES OF ACTIVITY IN THE REGION:The Department of Petén is the biggest of the Guatemalan Republic, almost 36 thousand square kilometers. Its territory is bigger than El Salvador and Belize and only the Nicaraguan Atlantic Coast competes with its size. Its population is barely 600,000 inhabitants and it is only the ninth least populated region of all Central America, with only 17 inhabitants per square kilometer.

When compared to other Guatemalan departments, homicide violence in Petén rates in the 7th place out of 22. The most violent place is Guatemala City with a rate of 78 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants.

OF OTHER NEWS...THE VP CANDIDATE AND HIS ENTIRE FAMILY FLED PETEN YESTERDAY

Buela..

Sorry for the typos.  I shared my coffee with my computer yesterday and it is gone to computer heaven so I am working on a netbook i use for travel it has no SW like office so I am long hand writing and straight typing.  Jeeze I must love you guys...this sucks
5/17/11...here is a link to a new video.  this one in english and has additional footage of the ranch including of president colom on his inspection and has announced he will personally direction the investigation and operations.  The video also has details of the slaughter                             SADLY it also shows the face of the survivor.   His is now out of the hallway and in a room with a bed.  Nice.  In the video it speaks of the pregnant lady survivor and her child.

HERE IS LINK washington post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/killers-leave-warning-written-in-blood-in-guatemala-massacre/2011/05/17/AFU1oo5G_video.html

5/16/11...Guatemala President Alvaro Colom declared a state of siege tonight.
              Announced a capture of one suspect in the Saturday Massacre
              Was two additional survivors a pregnant woman and her child

JUST POSTED ON YOUTUBE TODAY THIS IS A VIDEO OF THE MASSACRE, RANCH AND MESSAGE.  THE MESSAGE WAS WRITTEN WITH THE BLOODY ARM OF ONE OF THE VICTIMS..HERE IS THE VIDEO JUST SENT TO ME AN HOUR AGO..  also the story of the survivor and his firsthand account is below the video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3usZ6ahR58

ALSO THIS VIDEO (SORRY IN SPANISH)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VWDhZJ_tsA

SURVIVED BY PLAYING DEAD.
There is a survivor, reminiscent of the Tamps 72 survivor.  He played dead..so since I know all but the women were decapitated playing dead threw me, then I heard his story.  The picture is of his body but for obvious reasons his face is not shown, nor his name revealed.

“Survivor” gives this account; “I was bathing when people told me not to move and began shooting.  The killing began at about 7 PM Saturday night and ended at 3 in the morning Sunday "said the 23 year old.
The gunmen ran to the workers demanding to know where was Otto Salguero, the owner of the farm, who is now under suspicion of being linked to drug trafficking.

“Thank God I’m alive.  I pretended to be dead when I was stabbed in the stomach, then went into hiding until about 5 AM when the gunmen were distracted by a group attempting to flee.  When I came from hiding I saw a head, then I saw many heads”.

The survivor said he walked several miles in search for help, as the farm was isolated from population.  He was bleeding from his wounds as he walked miles in search of help, until arriving at the city of La Libertad, Peten some 600km north of the capital.

He finally met a person that helped him and took him to a hospital in Peten.  Today the survivor lies in a hallway of the hospital on a sofa, astonishingly without police guard or protection, he the sole survivor of the horrific massacre.

The survivor continued his story, “we were hired for a month and were paid 50 quetzals (seven dollars) a day”.  “we were working on planting grass for livestock.  The truth is the very moment I got there I wanted to leave and never return”.  He explained that among the victims were a father and his two sons, they were so close like best friends.  “Now I want to return and be with my children, ages 5, 3 and 1 year.  His family did not know he survived, he could not call because he could not remember the phone number of his wife.

The Interior Minister blamed the slaughter on the Los Zetas Mexican Cartel. Today he disclosed that the gunmen were seeking the owner of the farm to execute him.  The cartel operates in the region of Northern Guatemala in the area of Peten and Alta Verapaz.

These details you will only find at BB...these are from the ground and Guate press.
First of all thought the US press including the Chron reports no one knows what the reference in the message left stating "we are coming after Salguero" but it took me only 5 minutes to determine Otto Salguero is the owner of the ranch.  so why wasn't the ranch protected and people removed on Saturday when Juanchos bro was killed by Zs?  the message there said the same, what a royal screw up.  Both messages were signed by Z200.  The ranch (see pic below) is directly on the border. See Peten on the map you can see why the importance and this ranch is right on the border.

and from  Guatemala media see below.  It is almost certainly the ZETAS.  They are determining if this was related to the death of Juancho's brother on Saturday.  This crime was horribly gruesome, blodd from a leg was used to write the message on a wall...signed Z200..and  each and every victim was decapitated and all were farmworkers there for a seasonal 3 month stay.  Guate paper say 27 but others say they found 2 children, also decapitated so that brngs the total to 29 this article will tell you of the connection of the murder of Juancho..once he was killed Zetas moved in and took over drug trafficking in Guate... Note:  the article reveals the big state of siege in Guate?  netted 20 Zetas...WHOO-HOO...are you kidding me???..Picture is of the ranch..on right. WITNESSES SAID APX 200 ARMED MEN INVADED THE TOWN AND WENT TO THE RANCH..Guate news says all were killed by decapitation except the two women and they were killed by gunshots to the head.  THERE ARE NO DOUBTS IN THE MINDS OF GUATEMALA PRESS WHO IS RESPONSIBLE..SEE HEADLINE...

Investigating whether slaughter is related to drug trafficking Source  Pensa (Guatemala)

 Police are investigating whether the attack in connection with the murder last Saturday against Haroldo Waldemar Leon, brother of Juan Jose Leon, alias "Juancho" suspected drug trafficker killed in March 2008 in an attack that also killed other 10 people, said PNC spokesman Donald Gonzalez.

 "Juancho" investigated by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA, for its acronym in English), was murdered in March 2008 in an attack that also killed 10 others.

 The slaughter was committed on a farm in the village settlement of La Bomba in the province of Peten, near the border with Mexico, the spokesman said of the PNC..

 This is one of the worst massacres in Guatemala since the end of 1996 and  the 36-year civil war in the country.

 Haroldo Leon (Juancho's bro) killed sat by Zs"/>Gonzalez said police are investigating whether the fact has ties to the crime committed against "Juancho".

In 2008  Juan Jose Leon (Juancho) , was attacked with grenades and assault weapons by a group of about 30 men, including several Mexican authorities identified as alleged members of Mexican drug cartel Los Zetas.  This group has expanded its drug operations out of Mexico.

 In February, Guatemala officials lifted the siege of two months he had declared in the province of Alta Verapaz, which borders the Petén,  security forces had been sent to quell the violence associated with drugs.

 The state of the siege granted emergency powers, such as permission to detain suspects without warrants, and resulted in the arrest of at least 20 suspected members of the Zetas.

 Prosecutor investigates
 Guatemala's attorney general, Claudia Paz y Paz, pledged to solve the case.and stressed the massacre was  "terrible" regardless of the consequences and who is responsible for this slaughter. "

 Guatemala has become a focal point for the shipment of drugs into the United States.

 Los Zetas are a group of former soldiers who began as gunmen from Mexican Gulf cartel, until they split and formed their own cartel. The group soon became one of the most violent gangs in Mexico and has expanded its cruel violence to Central America.  venturing into widespread practice of beheading enemies and members of law enforcement.
 Los Zetas began to control cocaine trafficking in the region of Alta Verapaz in 2008 after their assassination of "Juancho" in 2008.
From the Houston Chron;
GUATEMALA CITY — Assailants killed at least 29 people - decapitating most of the victims - on a ranch in a part of northern Guatemala plagued by drug cartels, national police said Sunday.

The massacre took place early Sunday in the town of Caserio La Bomba in Peten province near the Mexico border, according to National Civil Police spokesman Donald Gonzalez. Among the 29 dead were two children and two women.

It is one of the worst massacres since the end of Guatemala's 36-year civil war in 1996.

Gonzalez said police are investigating whether the attack is related to Saturday's killing in Peten of Haroldo Leon, the brother of alleged Guatemalan drug boss Juan Jose "Juancho" Leon.

"Juancho" Leon was killed in 2008 in an ambush that Guatemalan authorities blame on Mexico's Zetas drug cartel, which has increasingly wrested control of the drug trade outside Mexico, at times by eliminating their competition.

Guatemalan police said the victims of Sunday's massacre were bound and their bodies showed signs of torture. They were believed to have worked on the farm. Police found a message written in blood at the scene saying: "Salguero, we're coming for you." Police did not say who Salguero was.

Authorities said soldiers were searching the area for the unidentified assailants and didn't offer a motive for the attack.

"This is a terrible event that we must clarify and investigate regardless of the consequences, whoever is the author of this massacre," said Guatemala Prosecutor General Claudia Paz y Paz.

Late Sunday, authorities said they had found a wounded survivor of the massacre, who stayed alive by pretending to be dead. But officials did not release any details of what the survivor said.

Guatemala is a major transshipment point for drugs, the U.S. State Department said in its latest narcotics report. Its weak law enforcement, rampant corruption and proximity to Mexico have drawn Mexican drug cartels into its border regions.

In February, the government lifted a two-month-long state of siege that it had declared in Alta Verapaz province, which neighbors Peten province, during which security forces were sent to quell drug-related violence.

The state of siege gave the army emergency powers - including permission to detain suspects without warrants - and resulted in the arrest of at least 20 suspected members of the Zetas.

The Zetas are a group of ex-soldiers who began as hit men for Mexico's Gulf drug cartel before breaking off on their own, quickly becoming one of Mexico's most violent organized crime groups and spreading a reign of terror into Central America. They are notorious for their brutality, including beheading rivals and officials. Authorities have linked them to a series of massacres and mass graves in northern Mexico.

The Zetas began controlling cocaine trafficking in the Alta Verapaz region in 2008 after killing "Juancho" Leon.

AT RIGHT IS PHOTO OF HAROLDO LEON BROTHER AND HEIR TO DRUG OPERATIONS AFTER HIS BROTHER WAS KILLED IN 2008.  HAROLDO WAS KILLED SATURDAY BY Zs WHO LEFT A NOTE TO OTTO SALGUERO THE OWNER OF THE RANCH WHERE THE SLAUGHTER TOOK PLACE, IT WAS ALSO SIGNED   Z200.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/7565958.html#ixzz1MV3AdHKC

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/05/15/general-lt-drug-war-guatemala_8467715.html
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110516/wl_nm/us_guatemala_massacre

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-guatemala-massacre-20110516,0,1186590.story
Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/7565958.html#ixzz1MTnb9OKD

Re: ZETA ..MASSACRE AT MX BORDER 29 FARMERS-WOMEN-CHILDREN DECAPITATED IN GUATE

ArmChairIntellect
Excellent article, it is only logical for this war to continue to move and shift like sand.  The problem is really a problem of policy and not of geography.  Until the rest of the world confronts the United States, this failed drug policy will continue to be enforced, the war on drugs will continue and the players will only relocate and adapt.  Laws can not deter supply and demand, this is obvious to anyone with any knowledge of the subject.  For those who proclaim that criminal elements will become stronger if drugs were legalized fail to see that there is very little demand for kidnappings, extortion or murder.  How would this make criminal elements stronger?  I ask for you to explain this point of view.  Economics will ensure that without policy change this war on drugs will continue.  Without correcting these policies many more years of failed successes will surly follow.  We have to reexamine why we have taken this approach to controlling addiction.  The war in Mexico is nothing more than a continuation of the many battles "won", but without anyone being a true winner.  Education is only way the public will begin to see why this approach has failed, however in this world where people would rather read a good story than learn about the realities in which we live, the future does look fairly grim.

Re: ZETA MASSACRE MESSAGE SIGNED Z200.. 29 FARMERS-WOMEN-CHILDREN DECAPITATED

I added an update with an article from Guatemala I found interesting about not only the massacre but in reference to Zetas and their take over of the drug trafficking

Re: ZETA ..MASSACRE AT MX BORDER 29 FARMERS-WOMEN-CHILDREN DECAPITATED IN GUATE

It has been about 2 1/2 years since the presence of the last letter has really taken hold in Guate.  Throughout Central America SInaloa and Zs have taken stronghold.  As detection of planes and water cargo became very efficient going via land became pragmactic.  the bonus is the the countries were found to be much more compatible to do "business" in, countries with fragile stability.  Like Guate.  Zs have a presence in 75% of Guate and has control of 2/3 the border with Mexico.  This is not use soley for drugs but for weapons and other diversifications.  One can imagine that most of the "business" such as priracy could be so much easier to conduct in Guate than Mexico.  I could see it becoming more of a narco state than Mx.  Not is the true sense because I can't imagine that any cartel would want to truly run a government, it is not profitable for sure, but for all intents and purpose for org crime to conduct anything with out interference.

I want to write a post about the pros and cons of legalization of drugs...taking each one seperately and have a dicussion of other aspects of the drug element.  I began one but the research wore me down.  It is a massive undertaking, and it has  to be fair and unbias in presentation just the facts and pros and cons.  But I plan to finish it.

NEW VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE .. SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD.... ..29 DECAPITATED

UPDATE :
TWO VIDEOS ONE HAS STILL SHOTS OF THE MASSACRE AND RANCH

THERE IS A SURVIVOR!  HIS ACCOUNT IS ALSO POSTED

Re: NEW VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE .. SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD.... ..29 DECAPITATED

ArmChairIntellect
This is getting a lot of coverage, I hope something comes of it, but unfortunately today news rarely has time to be discussed before another massacre happens elsewhere.  At least it's bringing attention to the Central American problem.  The Economist just put the drug problem in CA on the cover of one of their issues last month, so people are beginning to talk about this.  It gonna get a heck of a lot worse before it gets better.

Re: NEW VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE .. SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD.... ..29 DECAPITATED

I sure hope so because that is the real hotbed.
Funny I was sent the video from someone I never corresponded with before, brand new video w/ just an email saying "please post this thank you for your concern".  when i linked on to view it I was only the 19th person.

and the survivor, has that story been out there in the US press?  I found it in the CA press.  I was looking for photos and update and found reference to 3 survivors, so I kept digging and found only one but wow, his story is amazing.  He better get out of dodge quick.  they don't even have a bed for him.  or a room.  Guate is such a poor country.

Re: NEW VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE .. SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD.... ..29 DECAPITATED

Havana
Buela- Good work here as usual. Been tracking this news also.  Incredible story and completely disheartening though not unexpected because of Guatemala's weak condition and close proximity to Mexico.  Still the level of violence and the number of casualties always seems to catch me off guard like I'm hearing it for the first time  (maybe the number of decapitations at one time yes ).  It gives me the similar sort of enraged feeling as when I first heard about the buses and Tamps...Infuriated, frustrated, sad and sorry .  Thanks for your reporting for this and also on Durango.  I may not always comment cause I don't  have that much to add but I always do read what you post with great interest. And I'm sure there are so many more like me out there that appreciate your efforts.  Over and out

Re: NEW VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE .. SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD.... ..29 DECAPITATED

Thank you very much, most people have been very kind and appreciative.  BTW I like your piñata!  jaja.

I am working on an update on Guate.  You probably already know but most of the world does not; the violence has not stopped since the massacre in Peten.  Fed Police and Zetas have been in a horrific shootout for days.  I have an audio recording of it and many still shots.  It is so bad the president will probably reinstate the state of siege, which should have never been retracted.  Yet I have not found one story in the US about it, I don't think Mx has it either.

For all that is happening in Mx it is nothing compared to the state of affairs in Guate.  Zs have the gov outmanned, out weaponed, out organized, and out funded.  It is horrible.  Can you imagine the poor survivor not being guarded and laying on a sofa in the hospital hallway???  compare that to Luis the survivor of Tamp72.  and the pictures of the poor peasants decapitated heads moves me to tears.  I become so emotional when talking about the plight of the CA migrants.  I still have my Project 72 going and that has given me satisfaction.  I have sent quite a few migrants back home and Mx passed the temporary legal status law which may help, but atrocities abound.

As for Durango...I am afraid what I heard yesterday may be true.  I heard they were going to stop looking for bodies, when just the day before they announce a new area that has additional narcofosas.

Thanks again..

Colom declares state of siege...Re: NEW VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE .. SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD.... ..29 DECAPITATED

As I had heard earier, president colom has indeed declared a state of siege in Guate.
He should have never lifted the first one, whcih at the end of the day only caught 20 Zetas.  Pitiful.  I would not be bragging about that one.

Violence is still ongoing in the Peten area near the ranch and jungle.  Casulaties as far as number is uncertain.  depending which report one accepts it is up to 18 zetas and several police.  Many Grenade attacks citiznes report hearing explosions into the night.  Naturally they are scared out of their wit, after what happened at the ranch.

A couple of oddities.  The count is now confirmed to be 29 dead and THREE HEADS MISSING  presummingly taken by the Zetas.  Maybe someone can explain that one to me.

Also the new survivors.  a pregnant women and her small child.  This is the part I don't know what to think about.  Supposedly she reports they let her go because her child would not stop screaming.  Since they already killed two children why didn't they simply shoot the child to quiet her?  But this is the story out there in every news media in CA.

Re: Colom declares state of siege...Re: NEW VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE .. SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD.... ..29 DECAPITATED

Havana
I'm was seeing a little more coverage of this massacre, and now the state of siege which I expected yesterday, but there was not nearly the amount of coverage I would have thought. I think this is a "marker story" like Tamps and Durango meaning it brings a new level of heinousness to cartel/drug violence and should be of interest to everyone. I mean everyone. Maybe because it is in Guatemala and not Mexico,  but it is still the Zeta/drug distribution-the catalyst being drugs for Americans. I think I'm giving up expecting coverage on certain stories. The Guatemalan government makes Mexico's government look like a charm school. The country is so poor, rural-ripe for drug trafficking.The Zetas are so out of control.  I wouldn't care if they killed every last one of them. This fighting is not over.

Re: Colom declares state of siege...Re: NEW VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE .. SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD.... ..29 DECAPITATED

I think you are correct about perhaps it is because Guate is a poor and seemingly insignificant country.  But just wait sadly soon everyone will be paying close attention to what is happening but by then it will become so huge a problem and totally out of control.

there is a excellent video I am posting right now in english and even better footage from the scene and details such I posted before but not seen in the US media until this.  Guess it is correct about the pregnant lady and child.

THEY SHOW THE SURVIVOR HIS FACE AND ALL!  JEEZE.  He is off the sofa in the hallway and now in a bed.

Re: 5/17 a second video-5/16 VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE- SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD-29 DECAPITATED

2nd video was just posted..it is in english.  It has footage of the carnage, president colom at the ranch and sadly the survivor including showing his face this time.

Q..from Buela 5/19/11 VOICES FROM THE GROUND..ARRESTS MADE..VP CAN FLEES..5/17 a second video-5/16 VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE- SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD-29 DECAPITATED

I posted an update please give me feed back either by comment or email if you like hearing from voices on the ground.  I think they bring a dimension that is different and brings a reality to each story.  I feel a greater connection than with media stories.  anyway I never have posted twitter and FB stuff before and I hope you appreciate them as much as I do....B

Re: Q..from Buela 5/19/11 VOICES FROM THE GROUND..ARRESTS MADE..VP CAN FLEES..5/17 a second video-5/16 VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE- SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD-29 DECAPITATED

Havana
I deeply covet the rare "voices from the ground" and always appreciate them greatly.  And as I've said before I am particularly thankful for all the hard work and intelligent input you impart our way.  mas tarde.

Re: Q..from Buela 5/19/11 VOICES FROM THE GROUND..ARRESTS MADE..VP CAN FLEES..5/17 a second video-5/16 VIDEO OF ZETA MASSACRE- SURVIVOR PLAYED DEAD-29 DECAPITATED

Honestly I love this stuff, and I think my update was so deep and so interesting, but most folks don't care about going there.  Sad isn't it?

Re: UPDATE GUATE -OTTO SPEAKS THRU FAM- CITIZENS SPEAK- VIDEOS-PICS-PRES SAY NO MX INVOLVED..EYEWITNESSES ACCOUNTS-Zs ARRESTE..29 SLAUGHTERED 3 HEADS TAKEN

i AM VERY WORRIED ABOUT OTTOs FAMILY...WHAT BETTER WAY TO GET BACK AT HIM OTHER THAN KILLING HIM...

ANYWAY...LOTS OF STUFF IN MY UPDATE...THE PRES SAYS NO WAY JOSE...NO MX INVOLVED (?)

MEANWHILE GOV SAYS FOR SURE OTTO STOLE 2K KILOS OF Zs COCAINE AND EXTORTED

i posted pics of otto and the gov and still have up the awesome first hand accounts and pics from folks on the ground...

BTW...THEY SAY DO NOT BELIEVE THE GOVERNMENT WHEN THEY SAID Zs WERE KILLED IN THE GRAND SHOOTOUT...FOLKS SAY IT DID NOT HAPPEN AT LEAST WHERE IS REPORTEDLY HAPPENED..Buela

Re: UPDATE GUATE -OTTO SPEAKS THRU FAM- CITIZENS SPEAK- VIDEOS-PICS-PRES SAY NO MX INVOLVED..EYEWITNESSES ACCOUNTS-Zs ARRESTE..29 SLAUGHTERED 3 HEADS TAKEN

The Z's CAN'T have done with because the guy stole 2 ki's, worth maybe 12,000, (total, not apiece) and thats being conservative.    I hope this, and the massacre in San Fernando lead to the Z's downfall, if not downfall, then some significant blows.

Anyway, I'm reading and watching, and will continue to do so.  It is hard to follow Guatemala though, honestly, because there is so much going on in Mexico, I like to think I have a good grasp on many areas, but there are a lot I am in the dark about, or not as informed as I'd like to be.  Central America is a whole other headache.  It's overwhelming.

Re: UPDATE GUATE -OTTO SPEAKS THRU FAM- CITIZENS SPEAK- VIDEOS-PICS-PRES SAY NO MX INVOLVED..EYEWITNESSES ACCOUNTS-Zs ARRESTE..29 SLAUGHTERED 3 HEADS TAKEN

Its more than the stolen coke...its the extortion take over and other "betrayals".  As you know I have followed CA for a couple of years. My plan was to go into Guate after I finish the schools in Chiapas, but I don't have the contacts I have in Mx, I do have humanitarian friends working there, but it has become too dangerous.   I have seen the water routes being compromised by greater technology and finally I saw CA (land) become the route path of choice for Sinaloa and Zs.  Remember Edgar was also establishing a presence before his take down.  I am sure Costa Rica never dreamed that giving up their army in favor of education would come back to bite them in their ass, they the switzerland of CA are living a nightmare. SInaloa has control of the territory and routes in CR.  I have friends that retired there and loved it but are considering venturing back to the US because of the increasing violence, and I have friends from CR living here now and they are extrememly concerned for family back in the country.  and Guate is horrific.  in Peten 78 of 100k murder rate yet it is only SEVENTH highest.  CA will become the most important in this game of chess, and I look for more of the operations to move there.  Zs have a foothold in 75% of Guate and the all important border 2/3 they control including Peten.  They killed their competition 2 years ago and his brother the day before the massacre.  They are very strong in Guate and the government is saying they do not think they can fight them alone.

You and I have gone round a bit on the power of the last letter but time will tell.  what seems like blows they suffer is nothing because it is not attacking or compromising the most important tier which is the middle layer.  I also wish they would somehow be destroyed, but I do not single any cartel out for that wish I wish all of them POOF!  Gone to hell.  They are destroying Mexico and CA. and what they do to migrants is the stuff of nightmares.

J...I think I know a lot, and I do if we compare to the knowledge of most, but what I know is so little when I break it down because every stat, every region every city of violence is a world almost onto its own, with so many layers, and regional cartel structures and wars within war.  It is truly mind bloggling.  Take Durango.  I think it is the most violent of all STATES (presently) and perhaps 5% is reported on.  I began getting into its dynamics because of Chapo, and what I am hearing of him moving to Tabasco and make a run for east coast territories while he has an alliance with CDG, which allows him into areas he would not be able to without the alliance.  We know the alliance is shit to chapo it was simply a tool to get what he could.  ANyway as I ventured into Durango it is hands down the most complicated to learn of the states.  I thought man I am too old for this.  SO like you say there is so much it is endless, I know why writers stick within regions, except Grayson.  I know you are our Baja expert and i can see why you stick with that, not that you don't seek info in other hot spots, but you know what I mean.  My interest is Baja, Coahuila, Zaca Tamps, Chiapas.  I should have stayed with that.  You are so right, it is overwhelming.

Re: UPDATE GUATE -OTTO SPEAKS THRU FAM- CITIZENS SPEAK- VIDEOS-PICS-PRES SAY NO MX INVOLVED..EYEWITNESSES ACCOUNTS-Zs ARRESTE..29 SLAUGHTERED 3 HEADS TAKEN

I forgot...it is not 2 kis of cocaine it was 2K kilos as in 2000 kilos  I am no expert as far as street cost but I had looked it up and most sources say aroung 25,000 per kilo is that way off your figure.  I will accept yours and look further because I honestly no nothing of that.

but even at your low figure that is a lot of money.