Quantcast

Fugitive Ex-Governer of Veracruz Javier Duarte Arrested in Guatemala

Fugitive Ex-Governer of Veracruz Javier Duarte Arrested in Guatemala

Anasazi
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-39612892

Fugitive Mexican governor Javier Duarte arrested in Guatemala

A former Mexican state governor who has been on the run for six months was arrested on Saturday, police said.

Javier Duarte, the former governor of Veracruz state, is suspected of corruption, involvement in organised crime, and embezzling millions.

He was arrested in Guatemala in a joint operation between Interpol and Guatemalan police, Mexico's attorney general said.

He is expected to be extradited to Mexico at a later date.

Guatemalan police said Mr Duarte was found and arrested in a hotel lobby in the city of Solola.

He is suspected of having siphoned off at least 645 million Mexican pesos ($35m; £28m) of public money that was put into a series of shell companies.

Mr Duarte resigned his post to face corruption allegations - but then disappeared in October 2016.

When authorities raided a warehouse belonging to him, they discovered a wide array of valuable assets, including many paintings.

A search of his luxury ranch also found 17 paintings believed to be by famous artists such as Joan Miro, Fernando Botero and Leonora Carrington.

Under Mr Duarte, Veracruz also became the most dangerous region of the country for journalists, with 17 killed during his term.

He was suspended from this party, PRI - which is also the party of President Enrique Pena Nieto - before his disappearance.

His political opponents from the National Action Party won the election to fill his position in December.

Re: Fugitive Ex-Governer of Veracruz Javier Duarte Arrested in Guatemala

Wow!Wow that's news!Finally!Why does it seem that when it comes to the political corrupt in Mexico it's almost always another country that gets them or is this a figment of my imagination?They need to conviscate his assets and return to the state of Veracruz which is broke because of him and his cronies.BTW Happy Easter!

Re: Fugitive Ex-Governer of Veracruz Javier Duarte Arrested in Guatemala

Chava

Hope this is ok, couldn't resist!

Re: Fugitive Ex-Governer of Veracruz Javier Duarte Arrested in Guatemala

Chava
After you are arrested, nobody knows you

https://denunciasacapulco.ml/politica/amigos-ex-empleados-javier-duarte-se-desmarcan-ahora-esta-detenido/

Working on translating........sorry for posting first.

Re: Fugitive Ex-Governer of Veracruz Javier Duarte Arrested in Guatemala

mr.browntown956

¬°tRuCHAS!

Re: Fugitive Ex-Governer of Veracruz Javier Duarte Arrested in Guatemala

Tully

Re: Fugitive Ex-Governer of Veracruz Javier Duarte Arrested in Guatemala

Looks like he's lost a fair amount of weight being on the lam.I'm sure it's due to the stress of being found.

Re: Fugitive Ex-Governer of Veracruz Javier Duarte Arrested in Guatemala

Tully
He actually lost a fair amount of weight right before he fled the country:

One of the first things I noticed looking at the arrest fotos is that he seems to have put a lot of that weight back on.

I thought this was funny.  Doing a Google image search for the foto I posted above:

Google looks at that foto of Duarte and sees a pile of trash!!

It comes from here:  http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/nacion/politica/2017/04/20/tirado-e-impotente-en-una-jaula-movil-para-delincuentes#imagen-1