From Crib to the Cover of Forbes as the World's Wealthiest Person-Carlos Slim A Pictorial

Love him or hate him, and for me its a mixed bag, the man has led an implausible life to say the least...

On January 28, born Carlos Slim in Mexico City. His father was a Lebanese businessman Julian Slim Helu and his mother Linda, who married in August 1926 in Mexico City. Four years later gave birth to her first daughter, Nour, two years after Alma, and then after they were born José Julián, Carlos (lower left) and Linda.

 Julian Slim (right) gave each of his children a savings account and on Sunday  reviewed with them their expenses, purchases and movements. At age 12, Carlos Slim opened his checkbook and bought the first actions of the National Bank of Mexico with only 12 years old.

In 1961 he concluded his professional studies in Civil Engineering at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM) where he also taught Algebra and Linear Programming.

In 1965 he founded Inversora Securities and becomes the Chairman of its Board of Directors. With the acquisition of South Jarritos and the creation of Inmobiliaria Carso, starts the basis of what the future would be Grupo Carso, whose name derives from the union of the first letters of Carlos and Soumaya.

                                                             In late 1966 he married Soumaya Domit, com had six children: Charles (pictured newborn), Marco Antonio, Patrick, Soumaya, Vanessa and Johanna.

In 1985 Sanborn purchase, Dennys, Paper Mills Loreto y Pena Pobre, Pamosa, 50% of Hershey's and Graphic Arts United. At that time, already had Bimex SA Hulera Firestone El Centenario, 40% of British American Tobacco, and 33% of Anderson Clayton. Mexico also purchased insurance, insurance today and make Grupo Financiero Inbursa Inbursa. His wife Soumaya maintains various activities for education and health.

1986, AC created the Carso Foundation, Fundación Carlos Slim now, non-profit philanthropic organization.
In 1990, Grupo Carso is owned company through the primary offering of shares. At year's end wins the controversial bid to acquire Telmex, along with Southwestern Bell and France Telecom, is subsequently Carso Global Telecom, Telmex holding. It also creates the brand Telcel, from Radiomóvil Dipsa, Inc.

                                                                        In 1991, first appeared on the Forbes list, but still far from the top. It was not even the richest man in Mexico

                                                                           Carlos Slim tops the Forbes list of richest men in the world since 2010, when he overtook Bill Gates.

Tex

Re: From Crib to the Cover of Forbes as the World's Wealthiest Person-Carlos Slim A Pictorial

Tex

Re: From Crib to the Cover of Forbes as the World's Wealthiest Person-Carlos Slim A Pictorial

just someone
interesting, thank you

Re: From Crib to the Cover of Forbes as the World's Wealthiest Person-Carlos Slim A Pictorial

Good story.  He keeps such a low profile that there is not much out there about him.  I know more now just from your article than I did before.
While his business acumen has to be respected, his abuela needs to shake her finger at him and tell him "shame on you , you have become the richest man in the world on the backs of the poor Mexican people - charging too much for basic phone service and now too much for cell phone service, and now you are just like the drug capos. Nobody can touch you"

Re: From Crib to the Cover of Forbes as the World's Wealthiest Person-Carlos Slim A Pictorial

Thanks guys...I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested but as DD says so little is out there.
and some of the info has many different "facts'....

Take his mother...
we know the father was Lebanese and immigrated to Mexico.....but his mother Linda's origin is a little fuzzy.  even Wiki has three different articles with three different origins...and no last name.  I finally got the scoop which I think is factual.  still don't know her family name which i find plain weird!  But she was born  in Parral, Chihuahua, and is Criollo, same as my grandfather meaning first or second generation Mexican born Spanish decent.  the off spring of spanish immigrants, first generation then second and so forth.

I think I will write something and add to the post.  the entire immigration of the lebanese is interesting and the states where they landed still has huge pockets of the race.....paz chivis

AJ

Re: From Crib to the Cover of Forbes as the World's Wealthiest Person-Carlos Slim A Pictorial

AJ
Nice little portfolio of Carlos Slim. To me, this man is a genius businessman. Not the most charismatic man but a genius nonetheless. His wife was a very pretty woman when she was young. Good job Buelita......as usual.
CHIVIS FOREVER