Forum request

Bjeff
Admins,

would it be possible to make a more visible link on the main board and from time to time run a small piece making readers aware of the forum? We could use more contributors, whom might turn into MB journalists over time.

Also, would it be possible to have a link back to the main board on all forum pages. The old format does have that on top (http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2009/04/forum.html), but the new does not (http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/)

Re: Forum request

we lost so much but had to conform.

I came up with the best possible solution with the tools I had.

I hope to create a custom page in the future with a friend who is a web page designer.

when I have TIME...

thanks Bjeff

Re: Forum request

Bjeff
Thank you, Chivis.

Re: Forum request

Alacran
It was easier before but I started googling "borderland beat forum" and click that link instead of going to the main page then looking for link. As for my phone I just book marked the link on my screen. Easy as 1,2,3.

Re: Forum request

Bjeff
@Alacran: I do the same, but I am thinking of drawing new readers to the forum.

Re: Forum request

Valor
I could share it on the Facebook page if you'd like.

Just let me know which link you prefer and what message you want to put :

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2009/04/forum.html

http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/

Re: Forum request

  Hey so nice to see everyone getting along... Maybe I can contribute to the forum more often? I used to like to do the video translations. If there's any help needed on that. Let me know. Everything looks good on mainboard.

Re: Forum request

Bjeff
Thank you, Valor:

I'd prefer:
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2009/04/forum.html

What about:
If you want to read more updates on the Mexican Drug War, please visit our forum, where dedicated contributors are discussing and updating on current events. This is a good place to start if you are looking to update yourself, offload your thoughts or to help.

Feel free to change the wording

Re: Forum request

hey you!

I do have a video that is 6 mins, but it is tuta.  his voice and accent (Jalisco?) is difficult for me.

let me know if you are interested.  chivis.martinez@hushmail.com

type 'TUTA VIDEO" in the subject so I can spot it

Re: Forum request

777
Chivis, any other videos ? I've been busy browsing the "world section" , which has been kinda interesting to say the least... I have some spare time tonight.

I like this "forum request" thread.

Re: Forum request

BERTY
I stumbled across the forum by accident its easy to miss. I hardly go on mb since the negative eejits piss me off lol
The more I see the less I understand

Re: Forum request

sorry I was missing in action yesterday and half of today.  I was out looking for a Valentine, no luck :(
BTW I am so kidding...

I usually have videos because no one like to translate the narrative, it is quite a job, vato is great, Tutateca almost drove me to drink, but as I said I noticed he was not so staccato in his accent, in the last audio.  Now I wonder if he was on drugs.

anyway if I find one I will email to you and if you have time great.  if not there will be other times, other opportunities.

Re: Forum request

make love not war...:)

I get along with most of the locos.  Like Millie/Mil mascaras .  we have a love hate relationship.  BTW I only post about 1 out of 5 of his comments.

Were you around in the beginning of BB?  the first year?  If so do you remember Brito and Earnest?  I liked it better when we all used names.  Anyway Brito hated me at first, but I won him over I sure miss him.  But Earnest1 was a brilliant liberal left over sandista who was also, IMO, more than a bit koo-koo for coco puffs.

Out exchanges became so heated I was beginning to embarrass myself.  I felt badly for the readers on BB MB, so I left MB and came to forum.  Forum was pitiful.  Only comments and not much to see.  I began posting articles and translations and it took off.  It is always evolving.

Re: Forum request

Nutcase
Chivis will you be my valentine?! Jejeje...    This is the best site on the Internet by far!  Whenever I log online I have to check the forum.  Everybody's been so helpful lately. Keep up the good work guys.

Re: Forum request

Re: Forum request

777
*cough , cough*  Hi Chivis ! No te pude regalar flores pero te presto mis manos y oidos ... Ok, bad joke, again ! Do you need any help on videos or anything?

Re: Forum request

Great...there is an interesting article by Univision...when the FBI misled chapo and the Italian mafia

here it is...email me when you are finished  thanks so much!!!

http://noticias.univision.com/article/2253381/2015-02-23/univision-investiga/cuando-el-fbi-engano-al-chapo

Re: Forum request

Ok. Text or Videos or Both? I'm starting on the text part... Let me know.

Re: Forum request

I think Chapo must have had little confidence in his cousin, who wasn't a part of the mafia. The FBI asked for a test shipment of 1,000 kilos and they only sent 346. This was after 3 years of planning and negotiations that included the FBI creating an entire fake Italian crime group staffed by agents.

As much as the feds made a big deal out of this, I wonder why they didn't allow the operation to turn into a regular distribution network, like they had talked.

It seems like this whole operation was planned by the feds, and while they got the cousin and his partners, the bosses back in Sinaloa were skeptical and Chapo only did this as a favor to his cousin.

Re: Forum request

@Chivis  It might need some editing...

An informant convicted for drug trafficking, several undercover agents of the FBI in Boston and a taskforce of the Sinaloa cartel, headed by a cousin of Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán, are the protagonists of this story based on documents of the federal court of New Hampshire and in the testimonies of those who knew the operation collected by Univision Investigates.

"El Chapo" Guzman always dreamed of conquering Europe with his main export products: cocaine and heroin. What excited him about Europe was the higher drug prices and the demand was rapidly growing.

Perhaps that is the reason why he became interested in Italian Mobsters, that contacted one of his (Chapo's)  cousins, to expand the drug market in Italy and Spain. What Chapo and his cousin didn't know is that the alleged mobsters were FBI agents, and the one that claimed to be a “capo” didn't even speak Italian.

It all started on July 13, 2009, when an FBI informant who was working in Mexico met with Alvaro Rivera Pedrego, a representative of the Sinaloa cartel in Aguaprieta, Sonora. Rivera Pedrego, who said he spoke on behalf of "El Chapo", asked the informant for help during the expansion into Europe.

At a subsequent meeting in October, Jesús Gutiérrez-Guzmán, a cousin of "El Chapo, joined in on the talks and assumed the role of official intermediary, of the Sinaloa kingpin. The informant then launched the hook that stung the drug traffickers and that resulted in a covert operation that lasted three years: the informant said that he represented an important Italian mafia group. The Group was composed entirely of FBI agents.

At that moment, negotiations began and lasted two years. The supposed Italian mobsters met with representatives of "El Chapo" on more than ten occasions.

The first meeting took place in Miami, the quality of the Sinaloa product was discussed, the routes, and the most appropriate means of transport. Both sides agreed to transport a quantity of at least 1,000 kilograms of cocaine, to Spain, as a first step in trade relations. This according to a report, drafted for the court, by FBI agent Tucker Justin Heap, in charge of the operation. This according to a press release published by the Department of Justice, the Boston police, the DEA, and the Spanish national police also participated in the operation.

 In the domains of El Chapo

The negotiations should then be corroborated by Guzman. On 20 April 2010, the Sinaloa kingpin was visited by those who had opened negotiations, on his behalf, his chief operator (Rivera Pedrego) and his cousin, and along with them the FBI informant. Three guests arrived in the Sierra Madre of Sinaloa in a small plane, and were transferred a location belonging to the capo. El Chapo then participated in a long conversation about the distribution of heroin and cocaine, prices, the quantity, the quality of the product, and the distribution routes.

At the end of the meeting, El Chapo, told the informant that for this first shipment, which would mark the beginning of the relationship between his organization and "Italians", that he had several distribution points. He boasted that you could send the agreed 1,000 kilos of cocaine from Bolivia, Panama, Venezuela, Belize, and Peru. It was a clear show of force before his potential buyers.

Meetings continued, and the terms of the agreements were defined. Both organizations would share the costs and benefits at 50 percent. The base price of a kilo of cocaine produced in Bolivia according to Chapo's cousin, was $2,800. During the following months the undercover agents met with the members of the Sinaloa cartel in Miami and Virgin Islands, with regular references to the opinions of El Chapo, and some phone calls in which he supposedly gave orders on how to proceed. Representatives of the Mexican drug trafficker wanted to establish a lasting relationship that would guarantee them weekly shipments to Europe. The agents continued their role.

Keith Rosemblum, a journalist, who spoke to the protagonists during his coverage of the trial of one of the cartel members, said that agents did a good job gaining the trust of the criminals.

One gets to learn all the characteristics of agents during the trial. “Everyone had to use the word respect. I believe that the word respect occupied half of the words used”. Rosemblum, a journalist collaborating with various media outlets of Arizona, told Univision Investigates. However, he also showed his surprise because the operation grew so big. Considering the agent, who was posing as a Italian Mafia boss, did not speak either Spanish or Italian.

Political connections?

New militants from the Sinaloa cartel were interested in joining the “business” talks, of the international Italian-Mexican alliance. Among them Rodolfo Alarcón Mendoza, Sergio López Alarcón and Rafael Humberto Celaya Valenzuela. The latter a politician of the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) of Mexico. His photograph alongside President Enrique Peña Nieto circulated social networks when he was arrested in 2012 awakening all sorts of speculation. Celaya Valenzuela was presented to the undercover agents as an accountable “organizer”, of the Sinaloa cartel.

Celaya Valenzuela was the only one of the detainees who decided to plead not guilty. "An act that surprised many, including myself, because the evidence against him was overwhelming," says Rosemblum, sole journalist that attended the trial.

The journalist did not find any proof that Celaya was representing anyone important from the PRI party and ensures that the politician was a "wanabee, an aspiring".

Rosemblum adds that he had proof that agents, of the FBI operation, thought the same thing, citing conversations he had with them outside the courtroom.

But Celaya was not the only sign of possible political connections according to the journalist. Rosemblum published,  in a website he created to discuss the comments given to him by an undercover agent during the trial, that Jesús Gutiérrez Guzman, cousin el Chapo, told the FBI that "things will be much easier with Enrique Peña Nieto as president".

Initial Shipments

While negotiations were being tweaked, the Sinaloa cartel established a test route to the port of Algeciras, in southern Spain, ranked second in receiving shipments in Europe. Due to its proximity to Morocco, a distance of 14 kilometers. It was outlined as a future strategic point for the operations of El Chapo's cartel in Europe.

Traffickers sent boats loaded with legal goods, mostly fruit, to get accustomed to the port's security measures, and at the same time earn a good reputation as a legitimate importing company.

Lieutenant Fernando, head of the tax section of the Spanish Civil Guard in the port of Algeciras, explains that out of the 90 million tons of goods that arrive at the port, only a small percentage are checked by the authorities. "We do a preliminary analysis of the documentation, see the cargo's origin, the destination, who the companies are, see the operation and from that data establish a risk profile", explains Lieutenant Fernando, who preferred not to give his last name for security reasons.

Univision investigates interviewed in 2013, the director of the operations, Spanish national police official, the Chief of International Relations, a drugs and organized crime unit. The agent asked to keep his name anonymous. He explained that when initial shipments began arriving to the port, Spanish security forces were already aware of the operation in coordination with the FBI agents.

"The first four shipments, were comprised mainly of tropical fruits, bananas, and pineapple", said the Spanish agent. These shipments originated in Ecuador.

One of these shipments caused a disagreement. Members of the Sinaloa cartel said the vessel would come in August carrying 1,000 kilograms of cocaine, but it was not true. This led to an angry dispute between the cousin of "El Chapo" Guzman and the so-called representatives of the Italian mafia.

Gutierrez Guzman ended up admitting that it had been a ruse. According to a court document, agents of the operation and the cousin of "El Chapo" met in Phoenix in February 2012 to clear things up. They agreed then on a shipment consisting of 300 kilograms of cocaine. This was the conversation according to the document:

Undercover Agent: We started two years ago. The first time you and I spoke, You said "look I can send 20,000 a month".

-Jesús Gutiérrez Guzman: Yes, Sir.

-UA: Then, we said, well, that's too much.

-JGG: Yes, Yes, Yes.

-UA: Let's start with 2,000.

-JGG: Yes, Yes, Yes.

-UA: We reduced it to 1,000.

-JGG: Yes.

-UA: And now, we are at 300.

-JGG: Ok. the other day. We said that they wanted, I should say, we wanted this, excuse me, what they said they wanted, that they sell quality.

-UA: And is it good quality?

-JGG: It's all good...

-UA: do you know for sure?

-JGG: No, no, of course I know it.

-UA: (laughs). Good. More than 90% pure?

-JGG: Yes, Yes. No Really, you'll see.

-UA: We'll see.

-JGG: Well, with actions, things get done.

-UA: Yes.

-JGG: With actions, not with, not with words. With actions.

-UA:
 With actions. That will be done.

The boats used for studying security measures of Spanish authorities, were paradoxically being paid for by the United States authorities. The undercover agents spent between $14,000 and $ 21,000 for each of the shipments. Money that the Sinaloa cartel people returned to the so-called Italian mobsters with small shipments of heroin and methamphetamine, delivered in Detroit. It was, according to the cousin of "El Chapo", a gesture of goodwill for 'the Italians' after what happened.

'The Kingdom of Spain'

In the summer of 2012 the Sinaloa cartel representatives arrived in Madrid. It was not the their first time in Spain, but this time they were preceded by a shipment of cocaine that had supposedly arrived undetected to the port of Algeciras.

As Univision Investiga revelaed  last year, as part of the special 'El Chapo Guzman, eternal runaway, 373 packages of cocaine arrived to Spain from Brazil. Now it is known they were hidden in a shipment of glass and ceramics from the port of Santos. Spanish anti-narcotics chief explained that the 346 kg of drugs seized, could reach a cost on the streets of more than 50 million euros, by calculating the sale at gram doses.

The first member of the Sinaloa cartel to get to Spain, before the load's arrival, was Jesús Palazuelos Soto, who was in charge of the shipment and had participated in the coordination of shipping in Brazil. In second place, Chapo's cousin, Jesús Gutiérrez Guzmán, and Samuel Zazueta Valenzuela. The latter had been responsible for establishing the company façade to receive shipments in Spain. Also, Rafael Celaya Valenzuela, who was in Madrid, apparently without the knowledge of the others.

"We thought at the time, that he was doing deals on his own even." said the head of anti-narcotics in Spain. Court documents show that Celaya Valenzuela met in Madrid with the so-called Italian mobsters to broker a deal with the Juarez cartel, a rival of the Sinaloa cartel.

On August 7, 2012, four operators of the cartel were arrested. "There was a fairly large contingent consisting of 50 people," explains anti-narcotics Chief who led the operation. "It has been detected that Celaya Valenzuela will return from a downtown area close to his hotel, at that time he will be detained.  He is arrested and 20 minutes later the other people are prohibited from exiting the Palace of Madrid hotel,"he says.  (Please look over this last sentence)

The 'Big Fish'

"How I wish we would have been able to arrest El Chapo "Guzman in Spain", says the Spanish agent. We ask directly: " Was “dark waters” an operation to detain Guzman Loera?"

"Initially it is an operation that aims to detain "El Chapo"Guzman as one of the goals but has several steps; "the first step could be stopping the capo, the second, dismantle the portion that was in reach of his organization", he responds.

Although court documents do not corroborate that the detention of the sinaloan drug trafficker was a real possibility in this operation, Rosemblum believes it is no coincidence that two years later the drug trafficker was arrested.

"I understand that during this operation the United States is also gathering intelligence for the subsequent capture of Guzman. "In fact, at the time that occurred, it was reported that the United States provied information to the Mexican Navy", says the journalist.

Joaquin Guzman Loera is the main defendant in the Court of New Hampshire, which has the case. Although this court is just one of the six that has indictments against him and who would all like to see him on the court docket if his extradition ever takes place.

Of the other nine defendants in the case, five have been detained, according to public documents existing in the United States courts. Only one of them went to trial, Rafael Celaya Valenzuela, who is awaiting sentencing after being convicted. Gutierrez Guzman, cousin of "El Chapo", Zazueta Valenzuela, they pleaded guilty and are awaiting sentencing. Pedrego Rivera and Palazuelos Soto already know that they will be imprisoned five and nine years respectively.

Court documents also reveal that "during operation the FBI has paid fees to the informant and has made payments of more than $ 100,000. The United States has also provided the informant benefits in the form of returning properties that were subject to seizure".

12