Former Tamaulipas governer arrested

Tacuache

        Please use the sharing tools found via the email icon at the top of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
        https://www.ft.com/content/87260cd9-0fba-388f-8eff-3730e1932789

        Another former governor from Mexico’s ruling PRI party – the fourth this year — has been arrested on corruption charges.

Eugenio Hernández was arrested in the state capital Ciudad Victoria, the state government said. He governed the northern state of Tamaulipas from 2005 to 2010 and has been charged by US prosecutors in connection with an alleged money laundering conspiracy.

His arrest follows that of another Tamaulipas governor, Tomás Yarrington, in Italy in April, as well as the arrests of Javier Duarte, former governor of Veracruz, in Guatemala in April and Roberto Borge, former governor of Quintana Roo, in Panama in June. The former governor of Chihuahua, César Borge, is on the run.

A spokesman for the state government said Mr Hernández was arrested on Mexican charges of embezzlement and confirmed the US was also seeking his arrest. The US has not yet requested the former governor’s extradition, he said.

President Enrique Peña Nieto, whose own government has been marred by corruption scandals, has established a national anti-corruption system designed to crack down on the country’s endemic problems. But despite the string of high-profile arrests, no big name has yet been convicted.

The US Justice Department indicted Mr Hernández two years ago on charges of conspiring to launder monetary instruments and aiding and abetting the operation of an unlicenced money transmitting business. If convicted, he could face 20 years in prison.

https://www.ft.com/content/87260cd9-0fba-388f-8eff-3730e1932789

Re: Former Tamaulipas governer arrested

Maddy
Copy who? Dispense pero don't know what you talking about sir. Haven't seen that dude. Never heard of him. Sorry.

P.S- BB rules \m/

Re: Former Tamaulipas governer arrested

Itzli
From Menytimes, take it for what it's worth:

"The ex governor is accused of the crimes of embezzlement and money laundering and word on the street has always identified him as part of organized crime on a national level, specifically leader of Los Zetas along with the other ex governor Egidio Torre Cantu.  Word on the street also says that in a conspiracy with Tomas Yarrington and with the knowledge of Egidio Torre Cantu he ordered the execution of Rodolfo Torre in Ciudad Victoria, an operation that was carried out by "El Paisa" also known as "El Galivan" and occurred with the physical presence of El Lazca who personally fired the final shot to kill him and fled in a helicopter (El Lazca is not dead, it was a crude move, but Mexico believed it).

Re: Former Tamaulipas governer arrested

leChef

@Itzli: It is now 10 years to the day that Rodolfo Torre Cantu got executed. From what we know now, it was more likely a CDG hit. El Coss has been named the man behind the hit, and Tomas Yarrington as the man who ordered it.

MX

Re: Former Tamaulipas governer arrested

MX
We recently published an article that covers Torre Cantu's murder. Former Tamaulipas Governor Tomas Yarrington and Zetas accountant Antonio Peña Arguelles were reportedly behind it. Apparently Torre Cantu was not going to favor one of the construction companies owned by Yarrington's money launderers.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2020/06/yarrington-inc-analysis-of-collusion.html

@leChef: I recommend you to look into the case of Fernando Lugo Nieto, a construction business owner who was killed over the bid for the U.S. Consulate in Matamoros back in 2014. He was a very well known businessman in Matamoros with no ties to drug cartels. I spoke with his son many years back and I've been wanting to write a story about what happened.

Re: Former Tamaulipas governer arrested

leChef
@MX: Thanks, already started on Fernando Lugo Nieto. Are you gonna get back to his son to hear his opinion?

That article and your thoughts on Tomas Yarrington being the real mastermind behind Osiel certainly fired me up. I am starting to play with the idea that the rift between Zeta and CDG didn't just happen because one guy got kidnapped and killed and all the hitmen voted democratically to depart in a stadium. Perhaps Yarrington was the instigator or could not longer control the zetas, and that might be the real backstory? Or he couldn't control the next governor, who went with the zetas.

When you say zeta accountant, I don't think he really was that, at least not at that point. He was Yarrington's go-between always, right? I think the actual hit was carried out by Coss' people. because in hindsight it has become evident that the Torre Cantus were eating with Los Zetas.

I am prone to think that Yarrington was a classic case of a criminal revolution devouring it's own children.