First journalist murdered under AMLOs sexenio

First journalist murdered under AMLOs sexenio

leChef

The journalist Jesús Alejandro Márquez Jiménez, better known as 'El Guamas', was found dead, shot to death, yesterday morning in a cane field near the Tepic airport.

Alejandro Marquez knows that on Friday he was eating with his family when he suddenly received a call and left his house on a motorcycle. He did not return. Until this Sunday his relatives went to the SEMEFO to make the identification of the body.

Márquez Jiménez, had ventured into journalism for about 10 years when he entered, precisely, this means of communication. In Criticism it lasted about 8 years, until in the middle of last year it left to become independent and to create, along with a partner employed by the university, the newspaper 'ORIÓN INFORMATIVO', a medium that was already more than a year old.

The authorities have not reported much of the case, not even if the motorcycle in which he moved appeared or not.

The case, obviously, has dismayed the journalistic guild who already demand that the corresponding authorities clarify the case and punishment for the person or persons presumed responsible for the case.

The matter has already reached Mexico City and members of the National Human Rights Commission and the Special Prosecutor's Office for Crimes Against Journalists are also investigating.

It should be noted that Jesús Alejandro Márquez Jiménez, was Compadre of the controversial former mayor of San Blas, Hilario Ramírez Villanueva (Layín), compadre of the Digital News Critical Director, Lenin Guardado and, was also a candidate for councilor for the party MORENA in the municipality of Tuxpan , in local elections.

In Crítica Digital Noticias we also join this demand for justice for who was our companion in the company and who remained a colleague in the journalistic profession. We send our sincere condolences to the family.

Source:
http://www.diario-critica.mx/nota.php?id=58251

Re: First journalist murdered under AMLOs sexenio

Uday
Why do they kill journalist?For his writings?

Re: First journalist murdered under AMLOs sexenio

El_Bujo
Partly that, but to strike fear into others from reporting things they “shouldn’t be talking about..”

Especially when it involves any form of police,
Army and/or Gov collusion..

Many times its to keep the journalists from getting the local support to turn on the terrorizers, which is quite ironic when you think about it..

Don’t forget the Pegasus virus scandal, that cost a lot of deaths among certain journalists and continues to leave them at risk today!!!

Re: First journalist murdered under AMLOs sexenio

Chava
Not sure why they are calling it "under AMLO's watch" - he disappeared Friday night.

AMLO wasn't sworn in until Saturday around noon.

Re: First journalist murdered under AMLOs sexenio

leChef
@Chava: Thank you. I should have checked better.

Re: First journalist murdered under AMLOs sexenio

Chava
Not your fault, Mexico is saying the same thing.........

Su asesinato se da en un contexto de violencia para la prensa, según indicó Artículo 19, organización de defensa de los periodistas, quien indicó que se trata del primer periodista asesinado del gobierno de Andrés Manuel López Obrador.

https://regeneracion.mx/confirman-asesinato-de-periodista-jesus-alejandro-marquez-jimenez-en-nayarit/

Re: First journalist murdered under AMLOs sexenio

BucketOfWater
Mostly for what they write in the press. But is not always cartel related. In some instances the press write something about a politician stealing funds that were designated for building roads; politician then orders the killing of that particular journalist; then they blame it on the cartel and nobody question it. It's funny how everybody knows how corrupt is the Mexican government, yet when they say that a killing was done by this or that cartel, everybody believes them without asking anymore questions.

Re: First journalist murdered under AMLOs sexenio

Good point BucketOfWater!I really believe that's true the politicos ordering it.(they are just as bad as the narcos......sigh)BTW welcome to Borderland Beat forum although you may have been a long time reader.

Re: First journalist murdered under AMLOs sexenio

The number of journalists killed in Mexico or elsewhere have to meet certain criteria to be counted.  It is NOT Mexico's decision.  It is decided by think tankers and international associations like cpj or Knights Center among others.

When you see someone added to the tally you can be assured it is 100 percent absolute it is for writing against, organized crime, political parties, etc.

for example, in Afghanistan, which has the highest number of victims this year.  I think 13 or so, Mexico has 11.  but in Afghanistan there are another 20 or so, that could not be verified that their killing was because of their work.

Re: First journalist murdered under AMLOs sexenio

BucketOfWater
Thank you for the welcome canadiana. Long time reader here, but finally decided to contribute in what I can.

I will make sure to contribute often.