Fentanyl

Parro
Source: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/the-fight-against-fentanyl-is-active-but-has-a-long-way-to-go

My argument, Fentanyl is killing more USA citizens, than Mexico loses to their incredible violence in Mexico, as follows:

The United States’ largest-ever drug crisis continues, spurred by the rise of the synthetic opioid fentanyl. The fight is underway, but progress is irregular and tough. Recent events show the deadly drug remains in demand among users and lucrative for dealers.

Over 47,000 opioid deaths occur each year — 130 each day — mostly due to fentanyl made in black market labs, not pills diverted from pharmacies. It was good news that the Centers for Disease Control announced in August a one-year, 4.6% drop in opioid deaths and a 7% decline in prescription opioid deaths. But the CDC’s bad news can’t be glossed over: Deaths due to illegally-made fentanyl went up by 11.1%, and it remains responsible for the majority of opioid deaths.

Made and controlled legitimately, fentanyl pills are painkillers. But those seeking a high will find that fentanyl is a path to poison. The ease of making illicit fentanyl was exposed in an August criminal trial that broke up a multimillion-dollar international ring centered in Utah. It was run by young people in their 20s, including college dropouts from Utah Valley University where I teach.

The leader, Aaron Shamo, found fentanyl recipes on the internet and easily imported ingredients from China and Mexico. In a homemade basement lab, he counterfeited prescription pills mislabeled as oxycodone and sold them through the dark web. Shamo now awaits sentencing after a Utah jury convicted him on 12 of 13 counts. His story demonstrates how any success we’ve seen in keeping prescription opioids off the black market is insufficient, because illicit drug labs are worse than ever.

These scenarios happen because the ingredients are cheap to import and the profits are immense. The threat emerges because illegal labs cannot properly control their blends of fentanyl. Since fentanyl is 50 to 100 times stronger than heroin, even tiny errors with the doses can be fatal.

Yet, the deadly ingredients continue to flow freely.

The largest operators of illicit labs are Mexico’s drug cartels, which buy bulk fentanyl powder from China. That makes them the single biggest criminal threat to the U.S., according to the Drug Enforcement Administration.

The largest two cartels, the Sinaloa Cartel and Jalisco Cartel, then parcel the powder out to small contractors who process it into pills that they can return to the cartels for distribution into the U.S. The Los Angeles Times reports many Mexican families now depend on making fentanyl pills for a living.

High-profile busts in August show the staggering scale of these enterprises:

Just before Labor Day, Mexico’s navy seized a cartel-bound shipment from China of over 25 tons of fentanyl. Reportedly, that much could kill 7 billion people, or 90% of the global population.
The DEA announced seizing over 1 million fentanyl tablets in Arizona, marked as though they were prescription oxycodone. This is almost a three-fold increase from a year ago.
A Virginia-based bust arrested 35 people from three states, confiscating what authorities said was enough Chinese-made fentanyl to kill 14 million people.
The good news is that law enforcement is intercepting some large-scale shipments of this deadly drug. The bad news is that massive amounts, broken into smaller shipments, are often hidden within the immense volume of mail and delivery services, making them more difficult to intercept. As the Treasury Department announced last month, “The most common distribution medium [used by China to ship fentanyl into America] is via the U.S. Postal Service.”

Fortunately, the Trump administration is acting on multiple fronts. One key reform is adding resources: The administration is now drafting an executive order to increase inspections of mailed packages, in an effort to crack down on illicit shipments.

Going even farther, in an Aug. 23 tweet President Trump proclaimed, “I am ordering all carriers, including Fed Ex, Amazon, UPS and the Post Office, to SEARCH FOR & REFUSE, .... all deliveries of Fentanyl from China (or anywhere else!)” Private carriers responded by saying they’re already doing this.

Additionally, the Trump administration announced $1.8 billion in new anti-opioid federal grants for states and the CDC. This follows $400 million already awarded to treat substance abuse and provide mental health services. Plus, authorities have shut down several dark web sites, the marketplaces often used to sell and purchase illegal fentanyl pills.

Despite these efforts, fentanyl persists as a bigger killer of Americans than guns or traffic accidents. The 130 daily deaths continue for two reasons: because the demand remains and because buyers think they’re getting prescription-grade goods instead of often-deadly counterfeits.

As the news this summer has shown, stopping the human tragedies of the opioid crisis will require more enforcement against traffickers and more awareness from potential users about the deadly risks. Both Congress and the Trump administration need to continue cracking down on the bad actors, and never lose focus on this life-and-death issue.

Former Congressman Ernest Istook worked in Congress on curtailing illegal drugs and now teaches political science at Utah Valley University.

Re: Fentanyl

El Guero
I don't know the statistics there but I certainly don't doubt this is a fact.  But we can't blame Mexico or China just like I don't feel Mexico can Blame us for their violence

I had a brother(not by blood by close than any of those who are) dif of a fentanyl overdose yesterday morning.

He had been on drug court and selling pot the whole time just ad he had his entire life. About 6 months ago he started selling fentanyl wholesale. He got off papers Monday and was MIA BY Tuesday evening.  They found him at one of his houses passed out in the hallway with 2 "friends" who had robbed him after he died.

They found one of the two dead across the street before they'd even driven my friend to the morgue.  They took them together.

This fentanyl has changed the game entirely and it will only continue to get worse and worse....

Re: Fentanyl

Ciro
China could do more dont kid yourself.  Mexico I agree cant do more.  Fentanyl in my eyes justifys legalization of opiates and providing clean synthetic heroin.

Re: Fentanyl

Podrido
I have not yet had the chance to read the whole post yet, but my two cents is that a friend of mine had something like 12 or 13 of his friends/acquaintances die last year from fentanyl overdoses here in Canada.

The overwhelming majority of them were not hard drug users.

They are mixing it into just about everything here, due to its addictive qualities.
Just a lurker.

Re: Fentanyl

juris
 From a business standpoint, I don't. Killing customers is not good practice.

Re: Fentanyl

The whole "enough doses to kill a nation" is absurd though, just contact with fentanyl won't kill you, and I think even the technicians need to have protective gear is overstated.   People use fentanyl and don't die, it isn't aresenic.  The most deaths come when people who aren't experienced with it use it.

Re: Fentanyl

El Guero
The sad part is that it is actually a good business practice, in certain instances, to intentionly kill customers.

If a group of street dealers is trying to move into a relationship neighborhood if their dope is killing  people the addicts will come to them and It can help them in theor efforts to take over.

Also, much like we see in Mexico, you can beat up your enemies territory or "heat up the plaza"/block in this case.

Also....drug dealers often have customers who are problematic from one reason or another.  They cause heat, owe money, or consisttently come up short and they can be given a hot shot to get rid of them.

Also...the customers unfortunately are an UNLIMITED resource so the dealers are seldom too saddened by losing a few.  Often tmes 1 will come because they want that fent.  I've seen it with my own eyes.  They chase the stuff that kills people.

Re: Fentanyl

El Guero
That was terribly written but I am using a temp phone.  The main point is that I have seen with my own eyes.  I was with a friend who got a phone call that his friend had just overdosed and died.  He called around to find out where it came from and immediately got a hold of that dealer and bought the same exact dope that stole his friend's life.

It is through this mechanism that killing your customers, and sometimes intentionally, can be a solid business decision.

Not condoning this AT ALL just saying that it's a reality.  The television show The Wire portrayed this I believe on several occasions.  The producers of that show knew the streets better than the streets knew themselves.

Re: Fentanyl

ElGrandeRojo
I just watched a doc on heroin/fent dealers...the street dealers say that OD deaths spike their sales. The junkies find out which dealer sold a fatal dose, and blow him up. They say the junkies are asking for fent. No way in hell...

Re: Fentanyl

Podrido
Wow.

The depths of Human depravity never ceases to amaze me.
Just a lurker.

Re: Fentanyl

Parro
My condolences to El Guero.  A loss of a friend or family member, is hard especially this way.

If you read the post carefully above, you see the main perpatrator is China.  Their immigrants to Mexico, long ago, brought the poppy with them.  For more information, read about the Opium Wars. I believe that these people, were just addicts.

But the Chinese people, who ship enough "fentanyl" to kill 90% of the global population?  Not only ridiculous, but in my mind, state-sponsored.

Beware the Chinese & Russian communism especially their disinformation, propaganda and intentions. The Columbian scientists, introduced the production of coke, from the base.  Russians, try and do steal elections.  Chinese have trained the Mexicans in the production of synthetics.

Personally, I support the Hong Kong and Moscow protesters.  Revolution always starts with the young people.

Re: Fentanyl

El Guero
ElGrandRojo....this is exactly true.  Its a very different business model in this regsrd. I know when I was a kid selling pot it never crossed my mind that my costumers dying could triple my business.....

Re: Fentanyl

El Guero
Thank you Parro.  This fentanyl is an entirely different monster.  While he  was my brother it was still his choice not only to sell it but to use it. But it was still my "brother" who would have died for me just as I would have for him.

I have watched this fentanyl problem progress  with great rapidity and its end is nowhere in sight.  Within the next few years we will see this thing explode exponentially further I fear...

Re: Fentanyl

IVAN CHESNOKOV
Maybe they want heroin cut with fent instead of  baking soda but no way they want just fent. Fent is too short acting . The best route of administration is orally or patches. But IV is just unnecessary. It won't even give you the euphoria that H or morphine causes  and only last just about  one hour.

Re: Fentanyl

Mosco
El Guero wrote
That was terribly written but I am using a temp phone.  The main point is that I have seen with my own eyes.  I was with a friend who got a phone call that his friend had just overdosed and died.  He called around to find out where it came from and immediately got a hold of that dealer and bought the same exact dope that stole his friend's life.

It is through this mechanism that killing your customers, and sometimes intentionally, can be a solid business decision.

Not condoning this AT ALL just saying that it's a reality.  The television show The Wire portrayed this I believe on several occasions.  The producers of that show knew the streets better than the streets knew themselves.
Years ago, I was doing ethnographic reseach on fatal heroin ODs in SoCal.  I learned exactly what you claim.  Heroin addicts flocked to dealer's who sold strong "shit."   There is much more to drug ODS than lay people realize....like some are actual suicides by the OD victims that look accidental.
Good post, Guero.
Mosco

Re: Fentanyl

Sorry for your loss El Guero especially being so recent.That's pretty disgusting your bro being robbed instead of helped but that is what addicts are all about steal to feed their habit.That is what defines an addict as they will go to ANY lengths of depravity to feed their habit (nature of the beast I guess).I have heard this more than once on here  about addicts flocking to the dealer who had a customer that overdosed.I think it's too late to save the addicted people but as the death tally continues to add up I think people (the one's that are not already addicted) will scare off of most drugs and just settle for alcohol or pot.In the 70's people were dying of heroin overdoses from the needle and heroin divebombed in popularity but this crisis is much worse and I suspect it will decline but maybe not before spiking 1st.
Parro this is a really good idea for a post which just sums up the title in a single word and could have lots of input from people  added to it.

Re: Fentanyl

IVAN CHESNOKOV
Not all addicts have the same social or economical background. Some function like another socially accepted addict. Funny thing is that sleepers are usually not violent but alcoholics are the main characters behind domestic violence 90% of the time. I've a heroin addict who has been working and living a "normal" life for at least 15 years. He's never late at work.

All this mess is a result of prohibitionism.  Cocaine and opium go back as far as  the American Civil war.
Drugs like cocaine and morphine were in such widespread use in the 1890s that by today's standards conditions were unthinkable.
With few regulations in effect, cocaine was peddled door to door. Patent medicines containing morphine, cocaine, and opium could be purchased off the shelf in many stores.
The thing is back then "addicts" were not marginalized and forced to become criminals.

Re: Fentanyl

Mica
I like when people quote the time of the civil war when drugs were legal and users were not criminals as if it was some golden era.

Drugs were legal because people had no knowledge of addiction.  The conception that someone would give oral sex on the side of the road with a stranger in order to afford a 2 hour high was inconceivable.

Also during this "golden era" owning slaves was legal.  I could also have used a straw back then too 🤣😂🤣

@IVAN_CHESNOKOV can you be specific about "mess is a result of prohibition(ism)."?
Would drinking and driving deaths be reduced?
Would gun violence go down?
Would corruption be minimalized?
Would there be fewer ODs?

I am curious about your answer, but it's impossible to quantify.

Also, this UK study is a decade old and compares Heroin to steroids.
It's very outdated and the factors like "impact on community" are related to the UK and do not factor more leant and legalization of marijuana laws in the US, Fentanyl and updated medical research.

Re: Fentanyl

Patole
Well said Mica.

Re: Fentanyl

Ciro
When Portugal decriminalized drugs overdoses and crime decreased dramatically
12345