Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Corral: feds withholding funds in retaliation for corruption probe.  Corral: feds withholding funds in retaliation against corruption investigation.

News

Feds withhold funds to halt probe: Corral

Chihuahua governor charges that move is in retaliation for PRI corruption investigation

Mexico News Daily | Tuesday, January 9, 2018

 The governor of Chihuahua has accused the federal government of withholding funds promised to the state in retaliation for an investigation into corruption allegedly committed by members of Mexico’s ruling party.

 In a press conference yesterday, Javier Corral said that during a January 4 meeting the federal finance secretary told him directly that the cash-strapped state would not get the money pledged by the Mexican government unless Chihuahua officials revealed more details about its investigation.

 State prosecutors are investigating the embezzlement of more than US $10 million in public funds during the term of Corral’s predecessor, César Duarte, currently a fugitive from justice in the United States.

 The Chihuahua government claims the money was used to fund the political campaigns of candidates from the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) at state elections held in June 2016. Corral, representing a coalition led by the National Action Party (PAN), toppled the PRI to win the governor’s office.

 In response to the corruption probe, the federal government has refused to transfer the 700 million pesos (US $36.2 million) it promised, Corral said. The state has only received one of the agreed payments for around US $1 million, he added.

 Corral also said that Finance Secretary José Antonio González Anaya made no attempt to conceal the government’s motive for withholding the money and that he interpreted the measure as direct pressure designed to put an end to the corruption investigation.

 “It’s clear that there is an intention to strangle us economically . . .” Corral said.

 “It’s very serious that the secretariat of finance confirmed [its actions] as an instrument of political control against the governors . . .” he declared.

 But Corral made it clear to reporters gathered at a Mexico City hotel that his government would not give in to the demands.

 “What I immediately pointed out is that we were not going to exchange privileged knowledge from the Public Prosecutor’s Office for an allocation of resources that belongs to the state of Chihuahua . . .” the governor said.

 “We’re not going to allow them to threaten the people of Chihuahua because the government is combating corruption,” he added.

 More than two dozen people have already been arrested in relation to the investigation including Alejandro Gutiérrez, a former federal politician and secretary general for the PRI who was detained on December 20.

 Gutiérrez, a close ally of President Enrique Peña Nieto, is accused of operating the alleged embezzlement scheme in collaboration with Manlio Fabio Beltrones, a former PRI president who remains an influential powerbroker in the party.

 Beltrones has sought an amparo, or injunction, in order to gain access to the files related to the investigation.

 In the lead-up to the July 1 presidential election, in which corruption is certain to be a key issue, analysts say that the incumbent PRI is desperate to contain any new scandals.

 The so-called master fraud embezzlement scheme, the use of spyware to monitor government critics and the “Casa Blanca” affair, in which a government contractor built a home for Peña Nieto’s family, are among the high-profile scandals that have plagued the current administration.

 One of the key reasons why former finance secretary José Antonio Meade is almost certain to be the PRI candidate at this year’s presidential election is because he is untainted by corruption scandals.

 “. . . it was a [press] conference that seemed more a political act . . .” the president said.

 The SHCP also rejected the governor’s charge, stating that the money promised to Chihuahua had been transferred in a timely manner.

 But Corral didn’t waver, telling reporters that the corruption probe and his refusal to go along with the federal government’s demands had clearly touched a nerve but he wouldn’t be deterred from continuing the fight against corruption.

 “We are aware that we struck at the modus operandi of political corruption in Mexico, but the difference is that we accounted for it technically and legally,” the governor said.

 “We won’t give up the fight to break the pact of impunity, regardless of the retaliation and punishment.”

Source: Reforma (sp), The New York Times (en)

CORRECTION: The original version of this story stated that elections had been held in June last year. In fact, they were held in June 2016.
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/feds-withhold-funds-to-halt-probe-corral/?utm_source=Mexico+News+Daily&utm_campaign=7c09062731-january+9&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f1536a3787-7c09062731-349512513

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Chi.Governor Javier Corral is pissed and planning a '2nd Revolution Protest' in Mexico City.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/chihuahua-governor-starts-2nd-revolution/

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Maybe both Duarte's will be on Mexican soil.At least Chi.Governor stands up for what is right and wrong in his state even though yes he is from the opposing party.PRI better cross their t's and dot their i!s if they have any hope of getting the vote come July.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/justice-officials-move-to-extradite-duarte/

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Now the convoy protest to extradite Cesar Duarte is headed to Mexico City but PRI trying to stop it in Durango.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/chihuahua-marchers-blocked-in-durango/

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

i have been following it

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

I actually find this pretty funny that Duarte is pointing the finger at the new Chi. governor Corrall that he's spending money investigating Duarte the former Governor.At least Corrall is not putting that in his pocket which of course Duarte disagrees with because he would put it his own pocket rather than spend it investigating the previous Governor.Isn't Duarte on the run somewhere in the US?If that is the case what is he's concern about his reputation?It's already ruined!He should be more concerned about staying hidden and shut up like most smart people on the run.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/ex-governor-retaliates-against-his-successor/

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

And the culmination of all this:lots of protesters made it to Mexico City and funds are being released to Chi.state and extradition for Ceasar Duarte.(think the Feds maybe are afraid of implicating themselves in an investigation of Duarte,just maybe?)

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/chihuahua-protest-ends-with-agreement/

PS:it's alright to reply in a link which here I just did or text but not for the initial story.

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Chava
The beautiful ranches of César Duarte, with llamas, buffalo, wild boar and 450 cattle ... stolen

In the ranches seized from César Duarte, former Governor of Chihuahua and until now a member of the PRI, there were exotic and collectible animals (very much like drug kingpins), including 30 bison, five llamas and herds of wild boar, as well about 450 cattle that would come from New Zealand and others from government programs.

"I take this opportunity to once again call upon the Federal Government to fulfill its signed commitment and that the Attorney General's Office of celerity and legal certainty to the extradition process of César Duarte Jáquez, to appear before the courts of our State and make the justice that Chihuahua claims, "Javier Duarte said last night in a message on social networks.   (Not sure if this is the Duarte who is now in prison? on social media???)

Mexico City, February 26 (Sinembargo) .- In the four ranches that the Government of Chihuahua seized former Governor César Duarte Jáquez (2011 and 2017), a member of the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) to this day, They found, in addition to exotic animals, about 450 cattle that the former president had stolen from a program for small farmers.

On the ranches, which together have an area of ​​2 thousand 344 hectares, there were exotic animals and collectibles, including 30 bison, five llamas and herds of wild boar, as well as 450 cattle that would come from New Zealand and other government programs.

According to the State Government, the cattle correspond to those that were acquired for the Social Support Program for the Repopulation of Livestock for Small Cattle Ranchers of Chihuahua, which was implemented in the Duarte administration, but never reached its beneficiaries.

During the searches, the authorities found documents related to cattle from the El Saucito property - also insured -, livestock earrings of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and earrings with the iron registered in the name of César Horacio Duarte Jáquez.

    "In the extension of the buildings, which amount to just over 2 thousand 344 hectares, were located more than 450 heads of cattle, some with export earrings with characteristics similar to those from New Zealand, in addition to exotic animals and of collection, being at least 30 bison, 5 llamas and different herds of wild boars, "said Governor Javier Corral.

    The president again urged the Federation to act on the pending extradition of Duarte Jáquez: "I take advantage, to once again urge the Federal Government to fulfill its signed commitment and that the Attorney General's Office of the Republic of celerity and legal certainty to the extradition process of César Duarte Jáquez, so that he may appear before the courts of our State and the justice that Chihuahua demands be done. "

The insured ranches are: "El Rebaje", with an area of ​​more than 466 hectares; "Mesa de Chávez", of 755 hectares of extension; "The Agostadero de Moreno # 2", with a little more than 572 hectares, and the "Rancho de Enmedio" that measures 551 hectares. The properties that are being searched are rustic properties for livestock herds, with ranch helmets that include four houses, an irrigation system, at least three concrete-based buildings, equipped pens and solar cells.

"During the searches, documents related to livestock from the El Saucito property were found - which is also already insured -: Sagarpa cattle earrings and earrings with the iron registered in the name of César Horacio Duarte Jáquez," said Corral. He added: "These actions derived from investigations by the special group of prosecutors on anti-corruption matters and following up on the findings to seize the Santa Rita ranch, in the municipality of Camargo, which has more than 30,000 hectares in area; surface that is equivalent to the territorial extension of the entire city of Chihuahua, the capital of the State ".

The value of the more than 40 thousand hectares in 16 plots of land and the 20 properties that are still in existence "will serve to partially repair the damage to the Chihuahuan society," said Corral, made by former Governor Duarte. Photos: Government of Chihuahua

In a statement, Governor Javier Corral Jurado reported that the insured ranches are El Rebaje, with an area of ​​more than 466 hectares; Mesa de Chávez, of 755 hectares; The Agostadero de Moreno # 2, with little more than 572 hectares, and the Rancho de en Medio that measures 551 hectares.

The four properties are located in the municipality of La Balleza, south of Chihuahua, and were purchased directly by César Horacio Duarte Jáquez in his management at the head of the state.

The properties that are searched are rustic properties for livestock herds, with ranch helmets that include four houses, irrigation system, equipped pens and solar cells.

These actions were derived from investigations by the special group of prosecutors on anti-corruption matters and the follow-up of the findings on the Santa Rita ranch, also owned by the former governor, located in the municipality of Camargo and whose area amounts to more than 30 thousand hectares.

    In the proceedings, elements of the Police of the State Agency of Investigations and of the State Security Commission, agents of the Public Prosecutor's Office and technical personnel of the Office of Expert Services and Forensic Sciences participated.

The buildings were insured by the State Attorney General's Office in order to carry out the necessary investigation procedures, such as expert reports in criminal, topographic and valuation matters.

With these recent assurances, there are now 20 properties that state authorities have seized from former governor Duarte, currently fugitive and accused of diverting public resources.

The International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) issued a red circular last year to 190 countries to locate and arrest César Duarte, within the framework of Operation Justice for Chihuahua, which seeks to bring before the courts those who committed crimes of political corruption in the past administration and compensate the damage to the patrimony.

According to Governor Corral, in the four ranches in Balleza, Chihuahua, there were exotic animals and 450 heads of export cattle. Photos: Government of Chihuahua

The species that kept the ranches of the former PRI president are added to the 527 thousand copies that have been seized in the last 10 years from drug kingpins, according to information from the Attorney General's Office (PGR).

In the list there is everything: animals in danger of extinction and protected, thoroughbred horses, mares, birds, reptiles, felines, goats, pigs, cattle heads and marine species.

    In this way, it is confirmed that even the public servants of the country have a taste for private zoos and the traffic of exotic or endangered specimens.

With the number of animals confiscated in the last decade from drug dealers and traffickers, Mexico City could inhabit at least 400 times the Chapultepec Zoo, the largest in the capital of the country and where there are currently one thousand 230 species.

The Colombian drug lords set the example. In the 80s, Pablo Escobar set up a zoo in his hacienda Napoles, in Puerto Triunfo. There was everything: elephants, giraffes, rhinos, antelopes, kangaroos, black cockatoos from Indonesia, redfish from New Guinea, white swans from Europe, pheasants, real cranes and parrots of colors that fascinated him.

Google translate.

http://www.sinembargo.mx/26-02-2018/3390419

How do you embed photos?

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Siskiyou_Kid

Here are some of the photos from the Sinembargo article. I embed photos by copying the files [jpg's in this case] onto my computer and clicking the 'insert image' button above the text box for messages and choosing the file from my photos collection.

As far as the quote from social networks attributed to 'Javier Duarte'. I believe this is a typo and the quote actually comes from current Chihuahua governor Javier Corral, especially considering the message calling for the federal government to do its job.

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Soliado
Unfortunately, come this next election, Mexicans will once more elect PRI candidates to hold local, state and national public offices. The PRI has tried and true methods of turning out voters that are solidly in their corner. They manage to keep these voters through programs designed to “buy” votes.

In the last national elections people were given gift cards to a popular store in exchange for their votes. There was also the national program where digital television sets were distributed, free of charge, to the poorest of Mexico’s citizens. I’ve seen the free TV sets and they are the size of most computer monitors.

The PRI is also quite adept at vote rigging. Every election there are accusations of widespread voter fraud. I expect the same to occur during this year’s national elections. I hope that I’m wrong but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Chava
Thanks Kid, for the instructions on embedding photos.

You are probably correct on the "Duarte" quote.

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Chava
Veracruz files suit to recoup Florida money
State claims ex-governor Duarte bought properties worth US $25 million
Mexico News Daily | Tuesday, March 13, 2018
The state of Veracruz has gone to court in Florida to recoup more than US $25 million that was allegedly invested by former governor Javier Duarte in 41 properties in Miami-Dade County.

The state government claims the money was stolen by Duarte to purchase real estate that included a mansion that last sold in 2014 for $7.7 million.

Also named in the suit are Ace Realty Holdings, Nexxos Realty, Vulcan Dynamic Realty Fund, Vulcan CEO Inaki Negrete and Nexxos official Ana Maria Velasquez.

A lawyer for Vulcan and Negrete told Bloomberg that the state had failed to provide any evidence that his clients were involved.

“My client will not dignify this frivolous and politically motivated filing with a comment,” Rafael Recalde said.

Duarte is in custody in Mexico, where he faces corruption charges. He governed Veracruz from 2010 to 2016.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/veracruz-files-suit-to-recoup-florida-money/

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Crap 41 properties!Is 1 freebie not enough?These politicians are like kids in a candy store.No control whatsoever!How many does he have in Mexico and Spain,Panama,etc.etc.etc?Even rich guys don't have that many properties but of course they have to pay for them like you or I.

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Chava
Maybe this should be part of the corrupt politicians thread

Re: Feds trying to hold funds to state to stop investigation against PRI for corruption?

Chava
The relatives of a jailed former collaborator of ex-Veracruz governor Javier Duarte Ochoa have donated a 100-million-peso (US $5.4-million) ranch to the state.

But the motive wasn’t exactly altruistic: in exchange for the donation of the La Cartuja ranch an investigation implicating Arturo Bermúdez Zurita’s relatives in an illicit enrichment scheme will be halted.

The donation was performed through a legal procedure known as criterio de oportunidad, in which authorities decide not to prosecute a crime because there would be minimal benefit in doing so.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/family-donates-veracruz-ranch-avoids-further-investigation/