Fayette Co. authorities find 1,600 pounds of marijuana in truck

Fayette Co. authorities find 1,600 pounds of marijuana in truck

Havana
FAYETTE COUNTY, Texas -- Authorities in Fayette County have arrested a man after finding a large amount of marijuana in his truck during a traffic stop.

The Fayette County Sheriff's Office says Rafael Salinas, 41, was charged with possession of marijuana 50 pounds to 2,000 pounds. He was booked into the Fayette County Jail.
Narcotics Deputy Randy Thurmann and his canine partner Lobos found about 1,600 pounds of the illegal drug in Salinas' truck during a traffic stop on Interstate 10 in Fayette County. The amount of marijuana has a street value of about $800,000.
Deputy Thurmann says he saw many suspicious bundles in the bed of the truck, so he released Lobos to investigate. They also found more bundles inside the cab of the truck.
The Fayette County Sheriff's Office says the traffic stop bust is one of the largest ever made in the county's history.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Fayette-Co-authorities-find-1600-pounds-of-marijuana-in-truck-182071571.html

Re: Fayette Co. authorities find 1,600 pounds of marijuana in truck

Nutcase
"I swear offficer... It's for personal use only"  Jeje
Seeing is believing

Re: Fayette Co. authorities find 1,600 pounds of marijuana in truck

elotero
I always wonder why they decide to make these large busts and be the hero instead of letting the driver go and wait to see where it goes and then arrests the ones in charge.  Really nothing was accomplished here.  A driver who was proabbly paid a few hundred dollars to drive the truck was arrested while the key players are sitting back waiting for their next load already.

Re: Fayette Co. authorities find 1,600 pounds of marijuana in truck

Havana
I know. I've wondered that too and maybe it is to give some props and positive reinforcement to the involved officers who are following the rules as they stand in the rule book. To play the game until the rules change.

Re: Fayette Co. authorities find 1,600 pounds of marijuana in truck

La Pera
Havana, I believe a lot of these interceptions occur during routine traffic stops. The canine alerted. The drugs were found. Would the driver have gone along with being tailed to his drop off point? Wasn't there an incident in Houston where an undercover driver was involved in just such a scheme, and it went south quickly?  I don't remember all the details, but I do believe that law enforcement was excoriated for that bungled plan. The deputy in this incident did his job. He made the stop, found the drugs and made the arrest. All in a day's work.