Fake Televisa Reporters Return From Nicaragua; Leader to Share Cell With Sandra Avila Beltran

Fake Televisa Reporters Return From Nicaragua; Leader to Share Cell With Sandra Avila Beltran

Mexican citizen Raquel Alatorre Correa (C) is escorted by police officers at the airport in Managua December 23, 2013.

Fake Televisa Reporters Return From Nicaragua

(Reuters) - Eighteen Mexicans convicted on drug-trafficking charges after posing as television journalists while entering Nicaragua with $9.2 million were repatriated on Monday from the Central American nation.

Nicaraguan police transported the defendants, including a Mexican policeman, under tight security to Managua's International Airport, where authorities turned them over to Mexican prosecutors and prison officials.

In January, a Nicaraguan judge sentenced the 18, led by the group's only woman, Raquel Alatorre Correa, to 30-year sentences for drug trafficking, money laundering and organized crime. In October, an appeals court reduced the sentences to 18 years.

The members of the group will serve out their remaining jail time in Mexico and will not be able to make further legal appeals, the Mexican federal attorney general's office said in a statement.

In August 2012, this group of 18 people was detained when they crossed the Nicaragua-Honduras border carrying $9.2 million in six vehicles with logos from Televisa, Mexico's largest broadcaster.

Televisa denied any connection to the incident.

Three other Mexican citizens sentenced in Nicaragua for drug trafficking were also repatriated.

Over the past decade, Mexican drug cartels have moved into Central America, using it as a staging point to transport South American drugs to the United States.

La Jornada del Oriente writes that the leader of the fake journalists, Raquel Alatorre Correa – who was transported to a Nayarit prison separate from the rest of the group, and under heavy guard – will share a cell in prison with the Queen of the Pacific, Sandra Ávila Beltrán.  Ávila Beltrán was deported from the United States in late August after a Miami judge sentenced her to 70 months in jail – to be served in Mexico – for having aided her Colombian boyfriend evade apprehension from authorities.

http://www.lajornadadeoriente.com.mx/2013/12/24/raquel-alatorre-compartira-penal-con-la-reina-del-pacifico/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/24/us-nicaragua-mexico-drugs-idUSBRE9BN01T20131224

Re: Fake Televisa Reporters Return From Nicaragua; Leader to Share Cell With Sandra Avila Beltran

@KID.  The length of time that these "fake journalist" serve after being returned to Mexico may give us a little more insight into whether Televisa was actually involved in the drug running and money laundering.

This article says these 18 were arrested driving 6 vehicles with fake Televisa logos.

Saying that the vehicles had fake logos only tells a tiny bit of the story about Televisa's involvement in the illegal activities.

At the time of their arrests, it became known as the case of the "fake journalist" in news reports issued by wire services to US news media.  But no one in Mexico—where Televisa’s guilty involvement is almost a given—is calling it that. It is the Narco-Televisa Scandal.

Thousands of posts on Twitter discuss what happened to 18 Mexicans busted in Nicaragua driving a half-dozen satellite TV vans from Televisa.
They are at #Narco-Televisa. On the other hand, at #fake journalists, there is just one.

Juan Luis Villagomez Torres Torres and Guillermo Hernandez, two of the 18 Mexican arrested in Nicaragua on August 20, claiming to have been hired by Televisa and swore that the network gave them their uniforms, badges, keys to the trucks and paid them a per diem.

According to the newspaper 24 Horas , the lawyer for the detainees, Johana Gonzalez Fonseca said, "They gave me an address that matches one of Televisa, which hired them, where they were given the keys to a vehicle (of six vans insured). I say it was a big parking garage, where there were more trucks Televisa, "said the lawyer.

The six vans, it turns out, were registered to Televisa.  Televisa denied that the trucks belonged to them and that the clerks at the vehicle registration office must have been bribed.  But it was discovered that the some of the paperwork was notorized by an attorney who was an assistant to the second in command at Televisa.

there are letters on Televisa letterhead signed by the vice president of the news division, asking border officials to expedite the vans entrance into their country.

Investigators discovered that the vans with the Televisa logo on the sides had been running up and down Central America for nearly 5 years without Televisa becoming aware of it.  Remember that Televisa does not just operate in Mexico, it is the largest Spanish language broadcaster in the world.

 The vans were fully equiped with telecommunications equipment that was fully functional. Hard to argue these are "fake" journalists because it would cost a fortune to equip each van with the same equipment used by other Televisa trucks.

The woman who is the apparent leader of the group is the sister of a highly placed Televisa executive.

The description of the convicted drug smugglers and money launderers as "fake journalist" may be accurate because the 18 Mexicans may not be journalists. But that doesn't mean Televisa isn't involved.

While under the terms of the treaty with Nicaragua, their conviction may not be suject to further appeal, the terms of the treaty do not trump EPN's power to issue pardons to them.  And I think if Televisa wants them freed, they will be freed.

See previous BB post; Is Mexico’s Narco-Televisa Scandal Mexcio's Watergate?

http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Is-Mexico-s-Narco-Televisa-Scandal-Mexcio-s-Watergate-PGR-Televisa-won-t-cooperate-with-Nicaraga-tp4036157.html

Re: Fake Televisa Reporters Return From Nicaragua; Leader to Share Cell With Sandra Avila Beltran

K_Mennem
SK y DD:

I worked on this story for a long time, I am convinced Televisa was involved. I do not think I ever posted my report on the forum but you can read it here. I visited what I believe was the gangs "hidden in plain site" hideout in Tepito.

http://www.uncut-reports.com/2013/01/who-is-raquel-alatorre-her-gang-of-fake.html?q=Raquel+Alatorre+Correa

There were over 100 phone calls between Raquel Alatorre Correa and the VP of Televisa Amador Narcia.

Many members of Raquel's family have been under investigation for other crimes.

Re: Fake Televisa Reporters Return From Nicaragua; Leader to Share Cell With Sandra Avila Beltran

@K. I certainly agree with you.  To me there is no question that Televisa was involved in this.  But not only in this but in many many other illicit activities.

I used to think that Televisa had transformed itself from being the voice of PRI starting with Salinas, into the power behind the throne of EPN.  Now I believe it is a little more complicated than that.

IMO Atlacomulco Group is the financial power behind the throne and Televisa is an equal partner that basically does much of the "dirty work" for PRI.

I read your piece.  Did you look at mine on comparing this scandal to Watergate?  If Tricky Dicky had had something like Televisa involved in Watergate that had the power to tell the People and the world what the "facts" were, and make them believe it Nixon probably would not have to have resigned.

Re: Fake Televisa Reporters Return From Nicaragua; Leader to Share Cell With Sandra Avila Beltran

K_Mennem
I read your DD, good info and report. I would agree on that comparison.

Any more info come up on her sister being an executive? I never saw that confirmed.

Re: Fake Televisa Reporters Return From Nicaragua; Leader to Share Cell With Sandra Avila Beltran

nacho