FREEDOM REPORT..DOWNGRADES MEXICO FROM FREE STATUS

FREEDOM REPORT..DOWNGRADES MEXICO FROM FREE STATUS

MEXICO'S DROP FROM "FREE" STATUS;
Freedom House's annual survey of global political rights and civil liberties, downgraded Mexico from FREE to PARTLY FREE.   The down grade is a result of the Mexican Government's failure to protect its citizens from expanding organized crime.  The killings, targeted assaults, extortion, kidnapping, abuses of migrants, assassinations of journalists, corruption demonstrates an ability for criminal gangs to undermine the government's authority, and society's ability to impede or report on criminal activity and human rights abuses.The territorial spread of violence, and criminals ability to adapt to disruptions and aggressively seek diversifications and new revenue sources along with authorities sporadic successes were taken into account.

additionally,  the judicial system fails at protecting citizens rights and faces serious challenges. Police at all levels but in particular the municipal level are at high risk for corruption.  Poorly trained, equipped and paid.  Legislation to reorganize state and local police forces has halted.  State and local prisons suffer from escapes, corruption,  and violence.  Reforms to court procedures have stagnated while the country awaits the comprehensive changes promised and spoken about in congress, and government apparent acceptance of violence and homicides falls woefully short of inter-American norms.

It is recommended that changes in the judicial process, ensuring prisoners remain incarcerated, improve the competence of police agencies, and more broadly; address the lack of education and unemployment for millions of young Mexican as these social ills contribute greatly to escalating violence, corruption and other problems.

• Violence and Organized Crime as Enemies of Democracy: Mexico’s decline from Free to Partly Free was a result of the uncontrolled wave of organized criminal activity that has afflicted several states.
A Partly Free country is one in which there is limited respect for political rights and civil liberties. Partly Free states frequently suffer from an environment of corruption, weak rule of law, ethnic and religious strife, and a political landscape in which a single party enjoys dominance despite a certain degree of pluralism.
http://www.freedomhouse.org/template.cfm?page=594
the freedom map; green is free.... yellow party free...blue  not free

Re: FREEDOM REPORT..DOWNGRADES MEXICO FROM FREE STATUS

kylesam
So whats so important about this organization? "A Partly Free country is one in which there is limited respect for political rights and civil liberties." That's how I know this organization is a joke...does anyone know how many times the president gets insulted a day? Or the fact that people make fun of politicians all the time? I'm not saying there isnt any censorship due to the cartels, in some parts but to say limited respect for political and civil liberties makes me laugh just watch some these videos haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOCV5ajd8SM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hknegDJNcc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQmz2jakUD8&feature=more_related

Re: FREEDOM REPORT..DOWNGRADES MEXICO FROM FREE STATUS

That is not what is meant by politicals rights.
this is a very respected group having been around for 70+ years.
an that definition does not apply specificially to Mexico it is for any partly free country, and does
not mean 100% of stated reasons for each country in yelo.

in the report PDF booklet it states the exact reasons and I wrote a summary.  economist mag, huffington and many others ran this story in Jan when the report came out.  I am not sure your beef with them if you know something against his org please share it with me because for 7 decades they have been well respected.

Mexico is on the higher end scoring 3-3  but of course I know you have already read the entire report.  Anyone who thinks the civil liberties of Mx citizens have not been compromised by cartel violence really does not understand the reality.

Re: FREEDOM REPORT..DOWNGRADES MEXICO FROM FREE STATUS

kylesam
No beef with the organization but I just have a hard time believing that the last sentence "A Partly Free country is one in which there is limited respect for political rights and civil liberties. Partly Free states frequently suffer from an environment of corruption, weak rule of law, ethnic and religious strife, and a political landscape in which a single party enjoys dominance despite a certain degree of pluralism." Common now, you and I know that while most corruption, weak law applies most of the definition does not. The Political, Civil, ethnic and religious strife and political landscape in which a single party enjoys dominance despite a certain degree of pluralism does not apply to Mejico. By the way what did you mean by political rights???

Re: FREEDOM REPORT..DOWNGRADES MEXICO FROM FREE STATUS

Kylesam

Ok, i understand where you are coming from now.  I wrote the summary and added the freedom global map then I decided to add two bullet points taken from the report, I see one bullet point did not show up as such and there is no separation between the two I tried to edit to have a greater distinction but could not for some reason.

first bullet is the reason Mexico was downgraded

second is a list for some of the reasons a country MAY be considered partly free, but is not stating each partly free country must violate ALL the points.  You are correct if foucsing on political rights, but for the other points oh my yes ethnic, and civil rights are greatly impacted and if you read the report it still goes back to the main violation of the government's inability to protect its people.  A case in point is Mier or Miguel Aleman or Juarez.  The people of Mier were chased out of their city, homes destroyed, no schools, businesses or even a police department.  and they were on their own.  You may not be aware of this but my foundation went in to Miguel Aleman to the Mier Shelter and brought supplies.  There was not government, federal or state help in anyway, in fact the Governor fled to Texas.  Another example is the control of the press by the cartels.  Many issues, I did list the main areas of violations in my summary.  I had no argument with the issues they raised.  They are factual.

 I was very impressed that the report concluded what I have been insisting that education and employment must be options for the poor (ni-nis) or cartels will always have a wide field of recruitment.  Education is designed to keep a viable poverty class and has been effective in doing so.