F.B.I. arrests militia guy in New Mexico border posing as border patrol

F.B.I. arrests militia guy in New Mexico border posing as border patrol

The Daily Beast
FBI Arrests New Mexico Border Militia Leader Larry Mitchell Hopkins

By Audrey.McNamara@thedailybeast.com (Audrey McNamara)

4 hrs ago
    
a man wearing a hat: PAUL RATJE/Getty© Provided by The Daily Beast PAUL RATJE/Getty
The FBI has arrested a New Mexico man who allegedly illegally detained immigrants crossing the border under the guise of working for the United States Border Patrol.

  Larry Mitchell Hopkins runs The United Constitutional Patriots (UCP), an armed border militia group that spreads far-right conspiracies and rounds up asylum seekers on the border.

  The FBI arrested Hopkins Saturday on charges of possessing firearms and ammunition as a convicted felon. Recent video footage released by UCP shows two members holding what appear to be semi-automatic rifles near immigrants, many of them children.

  The group also peddles conspiracy theories and produces a radio show where members peddle spread information about QAnon, and accuse migrants of associating with ISIS.

  Hopkins has also claimed to work with Border Patrol and that president Trump has personally asked him about ‘Muslim immigration.’

  UCP is only one of several vigilante groups patrolling the southern border with guns.

  New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas issued a statement on Hopkin's arrest Saturday, praising the FBI for arresting Hopkins.

  “This is a dangerous felon who should not have weapons around children and families,” Balderas wrote in a statement. “Today's arrest by the FBI indicates clearly that the rule of law should be in the hands of trained law enforcement officials, not armed vigilantes.”

  Hopkins, is expected to have an initial appearance in U.S. District Court in Las Cruces, New Mexico on Monday.

Read more at The Daily Beast

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/fbi-arrests-new-mexico-border-militia-leader-larry-mitchell-hopkins/ar-BBW8yV4?li=AAggNb9&ocid=iehp

Re: F.B.I. arrests militia guy in New Mexico border posing as border patrol

Parro
This is kind've of embarrassing for a NM native.  You're best friends growing up and working with the people from Mexico, save the paper clip tattoo artist who is too macho to have any empathy.

From an oilfield area, no native citizen participated in the work culture outside of oil.  Only people willing to give sweat, time and affections, we're the people south of the border.  Only because for the wage per hour earned on a rig, versus food preparation, accommodations cleaning, carpentry, etc.  My life has mostly been with people from below the border.

Although the corrupt people come also, they are very small from the community of people just seeking a job in the service industry.  They won't work one job, they'll work two jobs each day and include their families, even if they are in their seventies.

There is a large difference between those seeking work, and those seeking sales.  But I assure you, 98% are people we can be proud of as a country.

The guy west of Deming, former felon, accosting immigrants who obviously drinks a great deal, is the worst person we can get from south of the border.