Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

MX

Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

MX
This post was updated on .
Hi, everyone. I visited print archives in Matamoros several weeks back and found pictures of two Gulf Cartel bosses from the 1980s. These pictures are not available online and are the first depictions of these individuals in the web. They are found in the print versions of El Bravo newspaper from May 1984.

Below are short bios of these individuals. I'll make larger/detailed bios of them later this year.

Casimiro Espinosa Campos ("El Cacho")

El Cacho was one of the top crime bosses of Matamoros in the 1980s. He led a faction that was responsible for stealing cars across the Texas/Tamaulipas border as well as smuggling narcotics through the Rio Grande Valley. He shared the plaza with Juan N. Guerra, who later passed the reigns to his nephew Juan Garcia Abrego. Garcia Abrego decided to eliminate his competition and ordered a hit on El Cacho. One morning in May 1984, El Cacho was phone called by Oscar López Olivares ("El Profe") to have coffee. When El Cacho showed up at his home, he was wounded by El Profe and his bodyguard. El Cacho went to a clinic in Matamoros, the infamous Clínica Raya, to treat his wounds. Learning that El Cacho had survived, the Gulf Cartel ordered a second attack inside the clinic. Gunmen burst into the clinic and shot everyone inside, killing 7 innocent people. El Cacho survived by throwing himself from the bed. Sources widely agree that this was the first large public display of violence ever conducted by the Gulf Cartel. El Cacho was sent to Monterrey, where he later succumbed to his wounds.

Oscar López Olivares ("El Profe")

Oscar López Olivares ("El Profe") was a trusted enforcer of kingpin Juan Garcia Abrego. He told the police and the press that El Cacho went to his house to kill him and that all he did was defend himself. Shortly after the attack in the clinic, he fled to Brownsville and hid at the Sheraton Hotel. He was later accepted under the Witness Protection Program. He agreed to testify against Juan Garcia Abrego and walk U.S. authorities through the inner workings of the Gulf Cartel. His current status is unknown. There is a picture of his Mexican ID card online and it appears to be recent (Google his name). In Mexico he is wanted for the 1984 massacre and attempted homicide.

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

Good find Mx!!  You are hands down the best researcher.

MX

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

MX
Thanks, Chivis! Later this year I'll work on this CDG era and be posting more on this.

BTW, I fixed a misspelling in the last sentence. Can you amend that on the main page too? The font on the main page seems to be smaller for one of the paragraphs. Thanks a lot.

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

You are in the treasury vault, amigo

This one?
MX

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

MX
That one! Looks exactly like him. It's definitely an IFE card picture.

Someone made a prank Twitter account with his name and got this picture somewhere.

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

MX

I posted your post on main page.  it is getting goo view count almost 3k already.

someone sent this comment in....which is the same foto as lechef

Anonymous
at 2:48 PM

is this el Profe? https://twitter.com/oscarlopezoliv1 apparently he was last tweeting in 2014. says he went back to mexico in 96. i wonder what happened to him. on 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

MX

Nowadays you never know. Could be him behind that Twitter account, but the pic definitely matches. It’s beyond me why he would upload a picture of himself when he testified against several powerful people. He was in the US Witness Protection Program but I guess he’s allowed to do whatever he wants, like return to Mexico, if he so chooses to.
MX

This source from Boletín mexicano de la crisis, Issues 276-286 stated that El Profe was residing in the U.S. This was written in 2001. Who knows at this point what the truth is. But El Profe loves to talk since he did a lot of interviews with The Brownsville Herald and El Bravo. Whoever can find him, bring him to BB!
MX

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

MX
Apparently he wrote a book? The book is on Scribd.

The Twitter account also mentions the Clinica Raya massacre, and how El Cacho was shot on Teacher's Day (ironic since "El Profe" means "The Professor"; he used to be a rural school teacher). Some of his posts make no sense and mention random throwbacks.

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

leChef
And here is the author in question in 2011:

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/CARTEL-DEL-GLOBO-237863796261121/

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

MX or Chivis: Anyway you can download the book and send me? I am not on Scribd

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

leChef
Never mind, it is here in its entirety:
https://dokumen.tips/documents/cartel-del-globo-libro.html

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

Another picture of Casimiro Espinosa Campos from the Cartel del Globo book:

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

According to Oscar López Olivares, Tomas Yarrington was part of El Cacho's Outfit in his younger days.

Here is another pic from the book. Oscar López Olivares, Dr Victor Leal and Juan Garcia Abrego

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

Parro
Guys, you blow my mind!

MX what a detailed investigator who goes to lengths unknown to get to the history of the story.

"you cannot know the future, without understanding the past".

Great read, now know El Profe and El Cacho, never before at this level.

LeChef, great chronicler of info.  El Profe appears narcissistic and just can't fade away into the witness protection program.  His ego appears to large, and he's trying to capitalize on his past.  Witness his military hat, large sunglasses, serious . . . playing a part of grandeur.

LeChef, I assume you and MX read his story.  Unfortunately it's total espanol and mine's intermediate.  The story must be sensational, suiting the author's self absorption.  Any bottom line comment would be appreciated.

Thank you both, for your hard work and bringing the past to life and putting another piece into this jigsaw puzzle!
MX

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

MX
This post was updated on .
@Parro: Thank you! The book starts with his early life and background, then he gives his on opinion several cases that occurred in Mexico during the 1980s and 1980s (murders, politicians in power who he says were corrupt, his view of El Cacho, etc.). I have yet to read it in its entirety but it seems to be very detailed. Of course, his opinions are not authoritative and should be read with caution.

Below is another picture of El Cacho from El Bravo archives.

MX

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

MX
Now that we're talking about old school CDG bosses, does anyone know the guy in the far right? I know this picture is somewhat popular but I had never seen it with the guy in the far right. All of them seem to be cropped. I asked around and was told he was Líctor Hazael Marroquín García, best friend of Juan García Abrego. He was indicted with him in 1978 in Brownsville for truck theft but his charges were dropped. He died of cirrhosis in the 1985. From what I was told he was not involved in drug trafficking but was nonetheless a big underworld player since he was friends with García Abrego and his crowd. He lived in Colonia San Francisco (Calle Laguna Madre) in Matamoros. Any info is appreciated.

Pardon for the terrible red circle. I had to do it with my touch pad!

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

leChef
I read about Líctor Hazael Marroquín García sometime ago, but I need to log sources better evidently. Very interesting picture. Who are the other two guys in the middle?

What I really would like to know, is how Osiel Cardenas was able to seize the throne. Maybe your fact checking of previous eras could uncloud what actually led up to that moment.
MX

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

MX
This post was updated on .
The picture was taken at Juan Nepomuceno Guerra Cárdenas's ranch El Tahuachalel circa 1976. Order from left to right:

1. Juan Nepomuceno Guerra Cárdenas: Needs no introduction. Founder of what would later be called the Gulf Cartel.

2. Sócrates Amado Campos Lemus: Former high-ranking PGR official and head of the 68 student movement when he was younger.

3. Juan Garcia Abrego (standing): Also needs no introduction. Former leader of the Gulf Cartel.

4. Roberto Castillo Gamboa: Tamaulipas lawyer, childhood friend of Juan Garcia Abrego. He grew up in Bustamante between 12th and 13th Streets in Matamoros, a block from where Garcia Abrego lived (per an interview he did with El Norte in 13 January 1996). Internet findings will confuse him with Oscar Malherbe de Leon, but this is incorrect.

5. Líctor Hazael Marroquín García (possibly): The best friend of Juan García Abrego. Indicted in 1978 in Brownsville. They played baseball together when they were kids.

Below an excerpt from The Brownsville Herald, 9 November 1978. Juan Garcia Abrego was believed to be a minor criminal at that time and was indicted in Brownsville along with Marroquin and others. Juan Garcia Abrego was arrested in 1984 in Brownsville but was released without a conviction. Same happened to Marroquin. I need to ask where I can find this 1978 indictment (possibly at the Cameron County Law Library). I wonder what the indictment stated and who the others were.

(UPDATE): Have you read Ravelo's book Osiel: Vida y tragedia de un capo? I found it pretty useful at giving me a good background on how he was able to cease the throne, starting with him running a small drug operation as mechanic with his brothers. I'm sure there's more out there.

Re: Exclusive pics: 1980s Gulf Cartel bosses "El Cacho" and "El Profe"

leChef
Thank you for clarifying that picture. I have always wondered.

It would be interesting to read that indictment from 1978. I guess it is not in the PACER system. So where was the case filed?

"Most cases created before 1999 are maintained in paper format only. Access paper case files from the court, where the case was filed, or at one of the Federal Records Centers (FRCs). Contact the court where the case was filed for more information."

FRCs: https://www.archives.gov/frc/locations

"When court records and case files are eligible for permanent preservation, they are transferred to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) for storage and preservation. These records can be accessed directly from NARA"

NARA: https://www.archives.gov/research

I didn't really like Ravelo's book and I don't believe he just grew into that position with cunning skills. There is a piece to that story which is missing.
12