Everything Fernando Lugo Nieto

leChef

Fernando Lugo Nieto was a much revered and respected business man from Matamoros, who got kidnapped on the road back from Monterrey together with Arnoldo CaƱamar de la Garza on Jun. 18, 2014, and both were found dead on Jun. 21, 2014, even after their families paid the ransom of 50,000 pesos.

His murder sparked a demonstration in Matamoros among the business community, probably organized by his family, and some 300 people turned up to protest under the banner "And I...What did I do to you?"

Later it has been suggested that the murder was committed by the Reynosa faction of CDG AKA Los Metros, and that it was over a bid for building the new US consulate in Matamoros, and that it was ordered by an, to me unknown competitor, based in Brownsville. I would like to know who this person in Brownsville is or was.

MX? Anybody?

There was a BB user called "Moros" who had some information about this case, but he has since deleted all his contributions unfortunately.
MX

Re: Everything Fernando Lugo Nieto

MX
This post was updated on .
Hi leChef. I took a break since Thursday night but I'm finally back.

Fernando Lugo Nieto owned a construction company and several gas stations in Matamoros. His business partner Arnoldo Canamar de la Garza was a regional manager at Alliance Specialized Systems in Santa Catarina, Nuevo Leon (Monterrey metropolitan area). This company sells security products and services (automatic sprinkler systems, fire detection and alarms, access control, you name it). They also have an office in McAllen.

Lugo knew Canamar before the bid for the U.S. Consulate in Matamoros. Lugo traveled to Monterrey the day before he was killed to meet with Canamar. The following morning, they drove to Matamoros (it's about a 3 hour drive) and were kidnapped. Lugo, Canamar and an unidentified person (or individuals) had a meeting at Mi Pueblito Restaurant in Matamoros. This restaurant is about a 1 min walk from the U.S. Consulate building. They were kidnapped as soon as they arrived. The official investigation does say that Lugo was "set up" by a well-known Tamaulipas businessman. The MXN$50,000 ransom payment was a red herring since the kidnappers did not want the money -- their intention was to kill Lugo.

Where did you find a mention about Los Metros? Journalist Ildefonso Ortiz said that this businessman (a Matamoros native and Brownsville resident) hired kidnappers from Reynosa to get rid of Lugo. This could very well be true, but I think the real connection here is in Matamoros and not Reynosa. It's been years since I've heard about the case, and I cannot really ask around now since it could probably put me in danger. But I remember the morning when it happened. Chatter in town over the following weeks was that the person behind the murder was someone linked to Celia Marlene Cardenas Salinas, daughter of Osiel Cardenas. Likely her husband or someone close to him who had another construction firm. I heard this from pretty reliable sources.

The construction for the U.S. Consulate in Matamoros was eventually won by B.L. Harbert International, a firm in Birmingham, Alabama. But from my understanding they were going to subcontract some of the project to a Mexican-based firm. I was told that Lugo was the favorite candidate by a landslide since he had a very good resume and had a long working relationship with Brownsville city officials.

I think it would be interesting if we are able to get a hold of the individuals and companies who participated in the bidding process. Maybe the U.S. government could release that through some sort of information request petition?

Below are some pictures of Lugo that I have in my notes:

Re: Everything Fernando Lugo Nieto

El_Bujo
Welcome back, MX!

Not only are you an amazing journalist and writer, but you have an uncanny knack for finding the rarest of photos...

I shall not ask your sources and will enjoy my imagination for now

Re: Everything Fernando Lugo Nieto

@MX: I love that you always have some other pictures.

Yes, I said Los Metros assuming they control Reynosa, which again was based on Ildefonso Ortiz, who represent Breibart, which is kinda outlawed here, so I didn't mention him directly.

OK, so we got official reports saying Lugo was "set up" by a well-known Tamaulipas businessman, and we got  Ildefonso Ortiz saying that this businessman (a Matamoros native and Brownsville resident) hired kidnappers from Reynosa to get rid of Lugo. Is this the same man or are they indicating different men?

Also, you heard someone close to Celia Marlene Cardenas Salinas.

What to possibly find out:
- Who close to Celia Marlene Cardenas Salinas owns a construction company?
- Who made bids for the consulate construction?
- What were the subcontractors to B.L. Harbert International?
- Who is that specific person Ildefonso Ortiz refers to?
- Is it possible to find the official report and what person that refers to? I must say it is unusual to be so circumstantial in an official report, or is that what the media outlets referred to?

Some of these questions should be answerable. I'll also send you a mail about that some other day.