Everyone pays the fee

Elmuchacho
Colombian Gangs Force Children to Pay to Attend School
By Michael Tatone, InSight Crime
April 20, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Colombian street gangs have taken to extorting school children for the right to attend school, highlighting the increasingly widespread nature of the crime and its impact on daily life in the country.

Criminal gangs in the Medellin neighborhood of El Limonar are demanding 25-50 cents from children in order to attend one of the five schools in the southwest of the city, reported El Colombiano. With approximately 8,000 students in the area, the practice is estimated to earn the gangs up to $4,000 a day.

The story is similar in the north-western department of Cordoba, where gangs linked to neo-paramilitary cartel the Urabeños reportedly charge a $1.00 fee at school entrances. If the student is unable to pay for that day or week, a running tab is kept and at the end of the month the student must then pay $20.00 plus interest of $2.50, according to one mother in the area.

Insight Crime Analysis
Extortion in Colombia is estimated to be worth $1 billion annually and has grown by 229 percent over the last four years. Common criminals are responsible for an estimated 83 percent of cases, while transnational criminal groups like the Urabeños and the Rastrojos commit only 6 percent of reported cases.

In the cases in Medellin and Cordoba, it is unlikely that transnational drug trafficking groups such as the Urabeños are directly responsible for the micro-extortion of students. It is much more probable that those responsible are low-level affiliates of the cartels or street gangs using the name of the drug syndicate to instill fear.

 Insightcrime.org

Re: Everyone pays the fee

Baggy
Fucking petty scum bag cunts! its bad enough parents get extorted by most governments....sheesh. pardon my french, can't help it when it comes to low life bottom feeders like these. why don't they just start robbing beggars on the street and......oh wait, probably already do that too. SCUM!

Re: Everyone pays the fee

Lala
I don´t know what to say, that´s about the most miserable and coward and shitty form of extortion one could think of

Re: Everyone pays the fee

Jorge Jorvanivich
That is bad. With 8000 students, 3000 should get together and collect from the Guy standing on the corner robbing them. If they are collecting 4000 a day, charge them 5000 for standing on that corner. When they are short start a tab for them, or better yet tell them no credit here, pay up or hit the road.
  EZ for me to say from here,  but hopefully the number of good, honest people is greater than the number of thugs, isn't it?  I understand most people are peaceful and avoid confrontation, but a person can only donate, be bullied, and taken advantage of for so long. Then they fix the problem or lose their mind and shoot the school up or their own family.

Re: Everyone pays the fee

jusme
Agreed.
Staygrnded86

Re: Everyone pays the fee

Bjeff
@Jorge: I dunno, Jorge. What made the jews go into the gas chambers. Why weren't there more uprisings? Those are questions I never found answers too.

I wonder what will happen if this extortion business expands to everywhere in society. What is the end game if there is one? There must be some sort of economical theory Milton will have to answer to.

I would imagine that a society which is taxed to heavy, either by government or private enterprises or scumbags, would collapse at one point. It cannot be sustainable and some sort of new equilibrium must occur.

Re: Everyone pays the fee

Nutcase
I think a gun pointed at your head would make you move your feet too...
Seeing is believing

Re: Everyone pays the fee

Jorge Jorvanivich
Bjeff- I am not that familar with the jews or the nazi's methods of killing, but I believe a lot of the time they would lead their victims to believe that something else was happening other than their execution. They were told that's they were going to shower, but instead of water gas was discharged. They were told that they were being moved, while being loaded into railroad cars. The cars would then be filled with gas.

As far as extortion becoming the norm in all societies,  I don't see that happening for at least another century. There are still too many God fearing, law abiding, gun owners with transportation. Their numbers are on the decline and one day evil probably will prevail. I used to think that as a society grew older it should become more refined, and less barbaric. I guess I was mistaken.

Re: Everyone pays the fee

1966tinman
I used to live in Ciudad Juarez and I still  have business associates and  own some commercial property there . It is an open secret that there are private security firms that are contracted by business owners who are fearful of being extorted or have been threatened .  These firms have security personnel who pick up these extortionists and eliminate them . In other words it is better to pay protection to someone who will eliminate the need for you to get your own hands dirty .