El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/story/2020-01-26/el-chapos-alleged-personal-assistant-nicknamed-nose-has-been-extradited-to-san-diego

According to a court filing by prosecutors, the marijuana case against Hidalgo’s co-defendants involved a yacht named Out Hook’n. In 2012, the boat was maintained in National City, then motored to the Cabo San Lucas coast to receive 6,100 kilograms of marijuana. The boat returned to U.S. waters weeks later and docked at the H&M Landing in Point Loma.

One of the many Sinaloa/Chapo backed seizures that kept occurring up to and including now, from 2011/2012, but the peak was 2012, when major marijuana seizures at sea were on the Southern California coast were a regular thing.  These were Chapo loads, often.

El Nariz is a central figure in the 2014 Culiacan raids to capture Chapo, and features prominently in the book, Hunting El Chapo.  It is suspected he was brutalized by the Marina, to obtain information to capture Chapo in Mazatlan.

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

j it has a paywall can you please copy and paste?

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

I was able to get in another way....its on main page

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

Do you have the complaint with all the yacht details on the pacer docket?  May be worth uploading too.

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

I looked for it  albeit hurriedly... there were multiple SEALED docs.  If you have time take a look and tell me the docket number and I will DL

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

Says in a court filing, so may be a motion/memo for detention or motion for dismissal or something, it wouldn't be sealed, because the SD reporters have it.  Let me see what I can find.

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

here are the choices....i looked at almost all of them...

they are mostly sealed or "you do not have permission"

did the tribune post it?  if not i am thinking someone gave them the doc with the understanding they don't post.  that happens to me when i get info from attys

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

Click the "notice of related case" and follow that link, that case will have a complaint or a motion from prosecutors that has the info from the motion/complaint.

Or the motion to detain from this month

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

i click that on first...i will do again in the am

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

Chava
‘El Chapo’s’ alleged personal assistant, nicknamed ‘Nose,’ has been extradited to San Diego
Mario Hidalgo Arguello has been in Mexican custody since 2014 and faces marijuana trafficking charges in San Diego federal court
By KRISTINA DAVIS
JAN. 26, 2020 10 AM
SAN DIEGO —  The reputed personal assistant for drug lord Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán Loera and a key link in the hunt for the kingpin has been extradited to San Diego to face marijuana trafficking charges.
Mario Hidalgo Arguello — known as “Nariz” or “Nose” — was brought to the United States a week ago Saturday, six years after his arrest in Mexico, according to newly unsealed court filings.

He is among a handful of high-ranking cartel targets who’ve been quietly extradited in the past month after waiting for years in Mexican custody. U.S. authorities have not publicly announced any of the extraditions. The Department of Justice on Friday declined to comment on what has prompted the sudden surge of long sought-after suspects.

Hidalgo was arrested in February 2014 at his home in Culiacán, Sinaloa — the stronghold of the powerful Sinaloa cartel.

“Mario Hidalgo Arguello is a subject who belongs to the top circle of the criminal organization,” the Mexican federal Attorney General’s Office said at the time.

The larger significance of his arrest later became clear.

U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration Agent Victor Vazquez, who was part of the manhunt for Guzmán in Mexico, testified in Guzman’s blockbuster criminal trial in Brooklyn last January. He described how Mexican authorities zeroed in on Guzmán’s inner circle, including the man known for his unusual nose. He did not actually name Hidalgo in his testimony, referring to him only as Nariz.

“We knew Nariz was an individual, a runner for Guzmán Loera, a gopher, an individual that would go and retrieve things for Guzmán Loera, an individual that knew all his houses, his cars, locations, where Guzmán Loera spent his time in the city of Culiacán,” Vazquez testified. “He knew absolutely everything about Guzmán Loera.”

Vazquez and a contingent of Mexican marines showed up at Nariz’s home late one night, eventually finding him hiding in his master bedroom, according to a transcript of the agent’s testimony.

Nariz turned on Guzmán immediately and gave up the kingpin’s network of nearby hideouts. He took them to where Guzmán had been hiding, but while the marines were using battering rams to enter, the kingpin escaped through a tunnel under a bathtub. Nariz then took the marines on a tour of Guzmán’s other nearby safe houses but did not find him.

Other evidence, as well as cooperation from other close associates, ultimately led the marines to a hideout in Mazatlán about a week later, where Guzmán was captured.

Hidalgo, in Mexican custody, was indicted by a San Diego federal grand jury in May 2015 on a marijuana-trafficking conspiracy, along with two co-defendants. The charges against him were unsealed on Monday with his first court appearance in the United States.

One co-conspirator has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to import methamphetamine in a separate case and is set to be sentenced Monday, while the other pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute marijuana and was sentenced to 60 months in prison.

According to a court filing by prosecutors, the marijuana case against Hidalgo’s co-defendants involved a yacht named Out Hook’n. In 2012, the boat was maintained in National City, then motored to the Cabo San Lucas coast to receive 6,100 kilograms of marijuana. The boat returned to U.S. waters weeks later and docked at the H&M Landing in Point Loma.

DEA agents watched as suitcases were offloaded from the boat into an SUV. The boat was then taken to Long Beach, where agents observed more bundles being offloaded into a rented box truck, according to prosecutors.

Agents searched the boat and seized 679 large bricks of marijuana, in addition to the drugs that had already been offloaded.

The court documents do not detail how Hidalgo allegedly fit into the yacht scheme. A not guilty plea has been entered on his behalf. His attorney did not respond to a request for comment Friday.

Another alleged Sinaloa associate was extradited to San Diego this month. Jose Sanchez Villalobos is accused of building and overseeing Guzmán’s sophisticated network of tunnels used to smuggle drugs across the border in the U.S.

In December, other high-profile cartel targets came to San Diego: Ismael Zambada Imperial — the son of Ismael “El Mayo” Zambada Garcia, who has led the Sinaloa cartel alongside Guzmán — and Gustavo Rivera, alleged to be a leader in the rival Arellano Félix Organization in Tijuana.

A handful of others were reportedly extradited to other parts of the U.S., representing Sinaloa and other cartels. However, some of those reported extraditions have not been confirmed, as they do not appear on U.S. court dockets.

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

J I looked again and at each option this time carefully and back further than 2019....it is not there.

If you locate the docket number I will get and DL the document

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

I always wondered why Bravo was killed, but yet Nariz was allowed to live.

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

Maybe it was unsealed at some point, and sealed again, thanks for the valiant effort as always! I have another one about a half ton brought up to San Diego in a yacht, no mention of Sinaloa, but I suspect most of those were tied, one way or another.  the MO is exact same.

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

ToPHeR
I literally logged on today to ask the same questions. At first, I thought they said contras killed bravo but then we found out it was internal.  Also, wasn't it reported that bravo was chapos personal security and then out was actually condor. Bravo was in charge of southern Sinaloa per reports.  So why was he alone killed for chapos capture? You had picudo, nariz, and bravo more involved in day to day.  Seems like once chapo got to mazatlan he was under bravos security because a message was sent to send bravo "10 rolls" aka 100g to give to chapo

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

Mica
@Topher
Bravo contacted Chapitos and let them know Chapo was good and they escaped the initial capture attempt.  The only reason I can think is Ivan or one of the boys had some personal beef with Bravo and communicating to Chapo.

For 15+ days at a time (worked in shifts), Bravo responded to the mirror communication as Chapo no longer carried the phone.  The stories about Chapo having limited reading/writing are true and so Bravo was the actual gatekeeper when he was working.  The DEA agents shared some examples where Chapo was behind the keyboard and basic words a 4th grader could spell were butchered so badly.

So my guess is one of Chapitos thought Bravo had too much power and was responsible because he held the blackberry.

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

ToPHeR
They said condor had it and would let Chapo use from time to time as he was in same room since he was personal security

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

ToPHeR
It's probably as simple as everyone they arrested except for bravo so they could get to him

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

ToPHeR
The other thing I wonder is can you contact these agents in anyway? All of the texts in the book are only related to chapos capture. Could you imagine all the answers to some of the more important questions we always ask on here that were probably answered through some of those texts? You should compile a list and send it over and see if you could get them to answer some of the questions we always ask about the Sinaloa cartel that they could maybe answer based on texts they saw during that time

.

Re: El Nariz, Chapo's personal chalon extradited to San Diego, on unsealed federal complaint

When I asked chapo's atty about his literacy he confirmed it was "not good".  I urged him to file that fact with the court so chapo could have a reader/translator.

But he never did, maybe chapo did not want it...not sure