'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

MX

'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

MX

In May 2002, the Gulf Cartel launched an operative to kidnap and kill Dionisio Román García Sánchez ("El Chacho"), a former state police officer and head of a Nuevo Laredo-based smuggling group known as Los Chachos. El Chacho was at his home in Monterrey, and they had only a few hours to act before he moved to another location. Over twenty members of Los Zetas formed a commando; Raul Alberto Trejo Benavides (“El Alvin”), one of the most prolific gunmen in the group, followed suit.

During the attack against El Chacho, rival gangster Juvenal Sánchez Torres ("El Juve") was killed, and Los Zetas successfully abducted El Chacho from his home along with three of his alleged henchmen. El Chacho was found dead later that day in Río Bravo, Tamaulipas. El Alvin, however, was wounded by El Chacho’s associates. His injuries were not life threatening, but he died after failing to receive medical attention. His comrades took his corpse from Monterrey to Matamoros, and abandoned it inside a hotel room.

Background

A native of Villahermosa, Tabasco, El Alvin joined the Mexican Army on 3 May 1991, and later formed part of the Grupo Aeromóvil de Fuerzas Especiales (GAFE), the army’s elite squadron. During his tenure, El Alvin reportedly received military and counter-drug training in the United States. He deserted from the Mexican Armed Forces on 16 March 1999.

El Alvin then joined the Gulf Cartel, a criminal group based in Tamaulipas, and formed part of their newly created paramilitary group known as Los Zetas, which was mostly composed of ex-commandos. He was hired by the kingpin Osiel Cárdenas Guillén and was given the nickname "El Alvin". In Los Zetas, El Alvin also used the code names "Z-6" and/or "Z-9". El Alvin was close to the Zetas founder Arturo Guzmán Decena (“Z-1”), who trusted in his combat abilities.

Death cover-up

After learning that El Alvin was killed in El Chacho's kidnapping, his boss Z-1 threatened Osiel. Z-1 reportedly did not support the idea of having El Chacho killed. "Either you fix this problem of [El Chacho] and El Alvin or we will turn you in to the Army," Z-1 told him. Osiel took the threat seriously and reportedly commissioned his lawyer Galo Gaspar Pérez Canales to help him fabricate El Alvin’s death in the press as a suicide. Several journalists helped the Gulf Cartel fabricate a story. Osiel also received the support of the Tamaulipas State Police chief stationed in Matamoros, Plácido de Jesús Martínez Gutierréz.

El Alvin's body was found at 3:00 p.m. on 13 May 2002 by one of the hotel's staff members after the room's checkout time expired and was up for housekeeping. His corpse was laid on the bed, fully dressed and holding a gun in his hand to indicate that he had committed suicide. When local authorities arrived at the scene, they discovered that the corpse had two identification cards: a Tamaulipas university ID and a state driver's license. Both were under the name of Ramón Esparza Torres.

El Bravo newspaper in Matamoros released a report stating that the man had committed suicide; the story stated that he was a professor and that he had killed himself for sentimental reasons. The article was published in the police section and became a widely-circulated story in Matamoros. His body was then sent to a local funeral home where a wake was held. Several organized crime members were in attendance. Los Zetas helped arrange his corpse's transfer to Tabasco, his home state.

Z-1 v. Osiel

Osiel grew angry at Z-1 for the death threats he received. He reportedly spoke to Los Zetas members Heriberto Lazcano Lazcano and Omar Lorméndez Pitalúa about plan to eliminate him. In November 2002, after learning that Z-1 was at his girlfriend's house in Matamoros, Osiel reportedly called on the Mexican Army to arrest him. Z-1 confronted the soldiers upon their arrival and was killed by gunfire.

After Z-1's death, Osiel granted more freedom and concessions to Los Zetas; he allowed several of them to be part of his inner security circle and granted others permission to coordinate marijuana and cocaine operations in Nuevo Laredo and Miguel Alemán, Tamaulipas, two corridors previously under the Gulf Cartel's control.

Sources and notes
* Wikipedia article is under free domain
* Multiple sources, see here for more details
* Image is owned by the Mexican government

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

Podrido
Great post and quite an enjoyable read as well!

Curious to see that El Alvin's death was a catalyst for Z-1's own downfall.

Seems as well interesting to note that Z-1 was not just concerned about the death of a comrade, but also with the prospect of Los Zetas being associated with the fall of Los Chachos. Would you say this is correct?
Just a lurker.
MX

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

MX
Thanks! Most of these details were gathered from an article written by Blancornelas in Diario de Monterrey. It is only available in print in three locations in the world. One of them was Mexico City, but I happened to be in town so I checked it out. Email me if you want the direct text.

And yes, I think you’re right on both points. I still have to do more research on Los Chachos to understand why Z-1 was against the Gulf Cartel having El Chacho killed. Perhaps he thought keeping him alive meant the Gulf Cartel had someone on their side who could help keep some level of peace with the Sinaloa Cartel? El Chacho was a good freelancer and I think he would not have rejected a good offer from Osiel if they had sat to discuss terms.

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

MaxiMillian2k19
This post was updated on .
Good job MX, without your hard work we couldnt even understand the hegemony behind Z-1 and Osiel's alleged practice behind the removal of Z-1
Have you heard anything about Zatarin Beliz Ernesto AKA "el Traca" who was a Communications and radio interceptions master  that  allegedly took his own life in Dec, 2001? Some say it was in Nuevo Laredo, but after I searched info about him I found citation where it said that
he committed suicide in a warehouse or winery belonging to Ezequiel Cárdenas(Brother of Mata amigos) on René Guajardo Street, in Matamoros."

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

Podrido
Wow, that is quite the rare piece of text! I would certainly be interested in giving that a read and will send you an email, much appreciated!

I would suspect that is a fair suspicion of what may have been running through Z-1's mind. If El Chacho already had an established network of contacts in the region from which the CDG could have tapped into and taken advantage of then it makes some modicum of sense to utilize that. The only question is trust at that point, and without knowing a whole lot about the Chacho situation my first thought is that Osiel didn't view El Chacho as someone he could trust long term.
Just a lurker.

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

coetzeefan101
Interesting read, thanks for that.

I am surprised/interested to read that Osiel reportedly spoke to Lazcano in possibly eliminating Z-1. I would have thought Lazcano would have been more loyal to Z-1 rather than Osiel, and quite possibly would have tipped off Z-1 about the discussion.

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

IVAN CHESNOKOV
really interesting.

I heard that jorge lopez aka el chuta a low profile OG zeta was a fake name for Martiniano de Jesús Jaramillo Silva, Wero 74/ pata de queso, is that true? i mean if you look at his only photo and wero 74 last pictures he might be him after a couple decades of high stress work environment  and drug abuse?
Mellado looked fatter too.

https://mk0mexiconewsdam2uje.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/massacre-1.jpg

https://a4-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/92/b0f0cf39c01f4c948d95036dde2699e5/full.jpg
MX

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

MX
@MaxiMillian2k19: Most sources point to a suicide in 2001. The story goes that Tony Tormenta held a raffle event at his warehouse in José René Guajardo street. The winner was promised a brand new Grand Marquis. Ernesto Zatarin Beliz ("El Traca") won, but the source is unclear if he killed himself the day of the event or later (it says he killed himself inside the vehicle).

El Traca's family is originally from Guasave, Sinaloa. He joined the Mexican Army from 1993 to 1998, when he requested to be removed from active duty and placed on reserve. During his tenure in the military, he served as a GAFE just like El Alvin. He had a brother, Miguel Ángel Zataraín Beliz, who was arrested in 2003 and confirmed to authorities that El Traca was dead. You'll find a lot of sources that confuse El Traca with his brother, so keep an eye on that if you research him more.

@coetzeefan101: I agree. I respect Mr. Blancornelas for his knowledge on Mexican cartels, but I also find it odd that Osiel conspired with Lazcano to kill Z-1. From what I read, it seems like Z-1 wasn't very "professional" since he was always drinking and getting high in Matamoros, prior to his death. Maybe that was a factor since Lazcano may have seen Osiel as a serious and more promising leader.

@IVAN CHESNOKOV: I've never heard that or read that before, but they do have some resemblance. I couldn't find any reports stating that Martiniano de Jesús Jaramillo Silva ("Pata de Queso") was in the military. El Chuta apparently deserted in 2000, while Pata de Queso was arrested in 1998 with Lazcano, so the dates don't match.

Chuta was from an older generation than lazcano or the other  gafes. He was working already with Metro-1 Alcides Ramón Magaña and CelulaSureste from the Juarez Cartel in Cancun since the 90s at least and supposedly he was in good terms with the Matamoros Gulf Cartel circle too. He joined the army in the late 70s deserted from it in the early 1980s while he was in his early to  mid 20s. So by the time he was arrested with Lazcano he was probably in his late 30s.
MX

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

MX
Thanks for the info! Were you able to find any online sources on El Chuta's military career (when he joined and when he deserted)? I found this image here that highlights some of the points you mentioned about Cancún, but it gives no mention of the years.

MX

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

MX
Found it! You're right. He's an old-schooler.

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

Podrido

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

Char
I also remembered that El Alvin was said to commit suicide in a Matamoros, Tamaulipas, warehouse owned by Tony Tormenta.

El chuta was old school worked for the Carrillo Fuentes clan then joined the Zetas-CDG led by Sr. O

I would say that’s false Lazcano and Sr. Osiel conspired to murder Decena Z-1.

Lazcano would also have to get everyone on board Efra Z-14, El Hummer, Mellado by the way is not metro 10 or m-10 his just “10”, Mamito, ect

Decena’s wife was killed for sleeping with another woman the famous singer Zayda Pena. Zetas saw this as disrespect against Decena so Z-1 wife and Zayda both got killed. Zayda coup de grace in the hospital

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

IVAN CHESNOKOV
the ones that killed themselves were Whinnie Pooh and Traka.

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

Char
Yeah your right I just read an article I do remember though a zetas OG member supposedly committed suicide in a warehouse owned by Tony Tormenta.

Luis Alberto Guerrero Reyes El Guerrero Z-5 has an interesting story killed by zetas member for being too out of control. When el Guerrero died, supposedly had a necklace with a real grenade.

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

IVAN CHESNOKOV
But as you mentioned before, there was also a report of him that he deserted or was discharged from the army in the late 90s which matches also with another former military and specop profile and also former federal agent , "Proceso Arturo Muro Gonzalez"
Interestingly this man practices kung fu and martial arts (just like Chuta) and resembles him a lot more than Wero 74.
That's an old image of him from a gulf/zetas chart made by the USA during the Kingpin act in 2010.

Also more recent pictures of him

Interestingly he claims he was never part of the Gulf Cartel or the Zetas even tho he was in the same place at the same time as other OG zetas during the late 90s when they were federales. https://www.proceso.com.mx/93395/de-arturo-muro-gonzalez that letter was written by him to proceso newspaper in 2007 when the narco war was just starting. The recent pictures are from 2012 from one of his businesses so it seems he's doing very well compared to the rest of his team.
My theory is that "Jorge Lopez Perez" was just a pseudonymous or a fake name (way too generic IMO, even Benjamin Arellano Felix had a fake id with the same name if i'm not mistaken) for Chuta. I remember Mellado's real identity was never revealed as well. Same with other  Zetas viejos.

And as of 2016 he was still in the kingpin act list
https://www.personadeinteres.org/uploads/ca84e116-4663-4d2e-9c3f-286233bedb1b.pdf as individual number 702.

I'm trying to contact him but seems he doesn't have any social media or a public email address.

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

Char
MX

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

MX
@IVAN: Very interesting, thank you for sharing.

How likely is it that El Chuta signed up in the Mexican military with a fake name back in 1979? I find that rather unusual. But I also find it unusual that he wasn't included in the 54-person Kingpin Act designation the U.S. government issued in 2010. Perhaps he retired? Reminds me a lot of Don Zefe, who fell off the radar over the years for that same reason.

Proceso Arturo Muro González looks very similar to El Chuta, though. In the third picture you shared, the person next to him is his martial arts instructor Marco Antonio Cordero Melgar. He was in the Agencia Federal de Investigación (AFI) police force, judging by his school's FB page. Maybe you can do some digging and find out if Mr. Muro Gonzalez liked one of the pictures, and that will lead you to him.

@Char: Who is that guy?

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

slayer421
Thats El Mellado above

Re: 'El Alvin', the Zetas founder whose death was fabricated

Wolf88
@Ivan Supposedly Wero-74 is Karin Rivera Vega he was arrested along with El Pita "Z-10" and other Zetas that was in Michoacána back in 2007-2008 after they robbed a security house of the Beltranes in Michoacána. I found this picture in Twitter of Karin Rivera Vega and he is labeled as a "Old School Zeta" in Ciudad Victoria. I don't know if you have ever seen the video that didn't make it to Blog Del Narco nor other websites I saw the video on this closed group in Facebook called "Situación de Riesgo Tamaulipas" well the video was about 3 members of the CDN interrogating a halcón of Wero-74 in Ciudad Victoria they say that the 3 persons that where doing the interrogation was GAFE or most know as "Cucho" (killed by ZVE in Ciudad Victoria jail) and the other one was El P-90 he was Cuchos right hand man.

Here is the picture of Karin Rivera Vega "Wero-74"

And here is the link of his arrest along with Z-10 and other Zetas two of them where kaibiles....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nuestrotiempotoluca.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/memorias-de-un-sicario-zeta-ix/amp/

Talking about another OG Z El Chuta didn't someone posted a recent picture of him supposedly he was sitting like in a restaurant in Belize....
12