EPN says he did not pay 8 million for a selfie with Kevin Stacey

EPN says he did not pay 8 million for a selfie with Kevin Stacey

President of Mexico Enrique Peña denies the report that he paid American Actor Kevin Spacey 8 million USD for his Cancun appearance for Mexican tourism.

After Spacey and President Enrique Pena Nieto took the above selfie earlier this month in Cancun, a report came out saying the actor was paid the 7-figure sum. A Mexican tourism board official denied the 8 million was paid, but according to Forbes Magazine, indeed a payment was made, but refused to reveal the figure.

The report began in Mexican press citing an 8 million dollar figure.

You can sense the indignation in his denial tweet, when  Spacey took to twitter to say "that's a load of crap ...Story about Mex Gov paying 8m or any amount for selfie not true!"

Reading between the lines however, he was talking about the selfie, not the appearance....

Re: EPN says he did not pay 8 million for a selfie with Kevin Stacey

El"H"
he proly didnt pay kevin stacey but he might have payed kevin spacey?

Re: EPN says he did not pay 8 million for a selfie with Kevin Stacey

Maybe it was pesos, not dollars.  If not, the price of everything has gone up along with the price of limes.  In Feb. the Los Angeles Pressreported that EPN paid Time magazine $576,000.78. pesos for the much ridiculed story and magazine cover Saving Mexico

From the Los Angeles Press story;

Enrique Peña Nieto paid with public funds to the company Time Warner (Time Inc.) Cover of the Week February 24th to heighten their personal image. The magazine received two payments from the federal government. Received payments totaling $ 576,000.78. The first payment is $ 480,000.43 and the second in the amount of $ 96,000.35.

The above information was obtained from the report of the General Regulations of Communication in its report on the implementation of programs and media campaigns and publicity of the federal government for the fiscal year from January to October 2013. Use of public resources for personal image of Peña Nieto has caused widespread outrage, especially areas in the southeast facing an imminent food crisis, from Mountain Guerrero, Oaxaca and Chiapas.

Time magazine is owned by Time Group Inc. (Time Warner). Time Magazine as is known worldwide, with an annual circulation of 3,289,387 copies, is published weekly.

Enrique Peña Nieto appear on the cover of the international edition that circulated from Monday 24 February this year. For past payments to the publisher of Time magazine, review the document on pages number 4 and number 41.

The Mexican govt. and Time denied it was payment for the story but was for advertising Mexico as a tourist destination.

Two months earlier than the EPN cover the magazine did feature a 14-page “sponsored-content” section (an advertorial) that promoted Mexico as a tourism destination and also hyped the reforms being pursued by the Peña Nieto administration, billing his plan as a smart agenda for attracting foreign investment.

The narrative of this advertorial section is remarkably similar to the story line of the TIME news story penned by Crowley and published less than two months later

Yes, news becomes advertising and advertising is now news. That is the commercial media world we all must endure in 2014 and beyond.

Maybe the real challenge we face now is “Saving Journalism.”

http://www.losangelespress.org/pena-pago-mas-de-medio-millon-de-pesos-por-portada-en-revista-time/

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebook/bill-conroy/2014/02/time-magazines-pay-play-puff-piece-mexican-president-provokes-widesprea

Re: EPN says he did not pay 8 million for a selfie with Kevin Stacey

here is from hollywoods "the wrap"
it is reported as 8 million, but I doubt it....
it must be very high however or EPN would simply say.  there is nothing wrong in hiring a celebrity to a promotion, but anything over a million for this is way out of line.

8 millions dollars http://www.thewrap.com/drama-erupts-over-kevin-spacey-photo-with-mexican-president/

Re: EPN says he did not pay 8 million for a selfie with Kevin Stacey

Bjeff
I would say this is good news. It is definitive proof of EPN's weak spot: International opinion on Mexico matters a lot to him.

I think this is where we could make a difference and actually help out. I hope this site will develop in that direction anyways...

Re: EPN says he did not pay 8 million for a selfie with Kevin Stacey

_Jack

Re: EPN says he did not pay 8 million for a selfie with Kevin Stacey

they should have gotten mr bean for cheaper nobody would know the diffrence

Re: EPN says he did not pay 8 million for a selfie with Kevin Stacey

McRey
Actors, by their nature, are vacuous whores.  Having said that, for $8 million, you would think EPN could get someone more relevant than Kevin Spacey.  And if Spacey wants to speak to the success of EPN, maybe he should visit Tamps, Sinaloa or Mich, because Cancun is Miami without the Spanish language.

Re: EPN says he did not pay 8 million for a selfie with Kevin Stacey

choco
Truly McRey... I don't think Americans are going to flock to Mexico because Kevin Spacey came here.

I would have done it for 4 mil!!