Drug Policy and Environmental Degradation

Drug Policy and Environmental Degradation

rico709
Here's a long but interesting read about the environmental impacts of drug policy and cartel activity. Although it's often not talked about, the impacts that drug production has on the livelihoods of rural populations is extensive, and it represents one of the major facets of the War on Drugs.

"Two apparent paradoxes lie at the heart of the relationship between illicit drugs and the environment. The first paradox is that even though the amount of land required for illicit drug crop production is tiny in global agricultural terms, drug crop cultivation has played a disproportionately large role in deforesting and degrading some of the world’s most biodiverse ecosystems, including those in national parks and indigenous territories. The second paradox is that environmental devastation is proliferating in drug trafficking regions despite sustained investments in drug interdiction and other anti-trafficking measures. How can this be?"

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/uploads/e205c307-c17b-437b-bc35-cfb703bce4f2/impact-drug-policy-environment-20151208.pdf

Re: Drug Policy and Environmental Degradation

George Soros???