Dr MIRELES

Re: Dr MIRELES

jlopez
Chimera and Mexico Watcher: Here's a translation of the video interview. Please note that the interviewer is Sabina Berman, who has written several excellent columns for Proceso and other journals.

(Screen: This was the TV Azteca interview with Sabina Berman that led to the immediate arrest of Dr.Mireles)

Mireles:  ...But that organized crime had already taken possession of the government and the whole state. We had just one enemy, that is, we were not fighting on two fronts...

Berman:  And now?

Mireles:  It was a single front. The situation had gotten worse for us, the people of Michoacan, because after we had been fighting against organized crime wherever we could find it, we found it precisely inside the state government itself. A former governor is in jail. Some mayors are now in jail. Some congressmen are in jail. Some heads of organized crime are dead.

(Screen: He accuses Commissioner Alfredo Castillo of protecting drug traffickers.)

Now, we realized that a part of the federal government went to Michoacan, supposedly to fix the situation, and what they did is enter into an alliance with organized crime. They become allies, they give them uniforms, they make them (a part of) the government, they give them vehicles, give them weapons... We in Michoacan are desperate because of that situation, and we hope that tomorrow we can find a solution.

Berman: But you are telling me that the Peace Commissioner, Alfredo Castillo, is in an alliance with crime?

Mireles: That's right, that's right...

Berman:  What proof do you have?

Mireles:  Everything. I have complete files on the criminals, who are even declaring publicly that they are the government. That is a huge moral deception.

Berman:  Do you recognize the faces?

Mireles:  I recognize... we have the criminal complaint files (that show) that these individuals kidnap, that they execute (people), because they are so stupid, pardon my language, that they go and kidnap a person, get 10 million pesos out of them, they seize an avocado orchard that measures 60 acres, and are so stupid that they register title to the orchard in the name of a relative of the kidnappers themselves,  give me a break. I've got documentation.

Berman:  Is the Commissioner acting on his own or does he represent the president?

Mireles:  According to him, he is a fully authorized representative of Enrique Pena Nieto. According to him.

(Screen: The same president that had time to call the coach of the Mexican (soccer) team refused to answer phone calls from the citizens who had taken up arms against the drug traffickers.)

Mireles:  That's why a few days ago I demanded that Enrique Pena Nieto enter into a dialogue with us, with the people, because we want him to explain to us the same thing you are asking me. That other guy (Castillo) says that he has direct orders from Pena Nieto to do what he's doing and that all his support comes from Enrique. I want Enrique Pena Nieto to tell us that so that we can make a decision.

Berman:  Let's see, what do you want to tell the president?

Mireles:  I don't have anything to tell him any more, he already put on the same show, he went to Tepalcatepec, he went to my town.  All the media said, "Enrique Pena Nieto has come to Tepalcatepec in response to requests from Mireles for a dialogue with the people."

(Screen:  He accuses Enrique Pena Nieto of dressing military personnel in civilian clothes to deceive people during his visit to Michoacan.)

Mireles:  But what does Pena Nieto do when he gets to Michoacan? He throws the people of Tepalcatepec out of the sports stadium and brings in his own audience, all military personnel dressed in civilian clothing. Not even the kids in kindergarten in Tepalcatepec believe that farce. I hope the entire nation does not swallow the story, either. Give me a break.

(Screen: A few minutes into the interview, the journalist abruptly receives orders to terminate the interview.)

Berman:  So then, you claim that the president is aware of what the Commissioner is doing and that this is not working... You are saying something very serious, that they are allied with organized crime, that they are organized crime?

Mireles:  That's right.

Berman:  You know... allow me to today's interview and we will continue this conversation next Wednesday.

End of interview

Re: Dr MIRELES

Wow that sure is blatant.Didn't Mireles want a face to face interview with EPN in Mexico City before his arrest if I recall?I see why EPN didn't meet with him.If that interview was a US TV network that interview never would have been called off [the ratings would have gone through the roof].Obviously someone was pulling the strings at that TV network.

Re: Dr MIRELES

Mexico-Watcher
Jlopez:  Excellent translation!!!

NOTICE: There is a longer version of the interview that I was not aware of at first. See below.

Tully: Thanks for your contributions to this thread I noticed you posted the longer version of over 13 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcTixoDJ8Ew .

IMO, this longer version includes important contextual and historic background information that helps us understand Dr. Mireles much better.  I wish I had viewed it first....but que sera, sera.

IMO, If I were a Mexican oligarch in collusion with narco-criminals, I would definitely want Dr. Mireles silenced ... "permanently."    Why?  [Cynically], Because he is a dangerous threat to Mexico's true owners, the power elites and their narco-criminal allies.  Dr. Mireles says as much as you will find from the TV interview.

In the longer 14 minute interview, Dr. Mireles presents as calm, highly intelligent, unassuming, clear speaking and charismatic.  As others have noted he is re-mindful of the martyr, Emiliano Zapata.... no small tribute.

During the longer interview, Dr. Mireles' description of problems that led to the evolution of the Auto Defense movement, had accusatory elements that doubtless angered and alarmed the power elite.  This is probably why the interview abruptly ended.

I can bet that soon after the interview, some powerful nefarious snakes held discussions on how to neutralize Dr. Mireles. I am guessing that one of the snakes hissed, "Amigos, let's just imprison him until diabetes takes him.  In the meantime, his followers will waste time in "our courts" trying to free him. "   All the snakes hissed, "Siiiii, Asiiii lo vamos hacer."

Mexico-Watcher

Re: Dr MIRELES

Chimera
Thank you so much, @jlopes, for translating the whole interview. You, Tully, and Mexico Watcher have added a lot of detail and clarity to this for me. I'm going to show this interview to my friend who is from Michoacan (la Ruana) -- I told her about it, and she said she's never seen it.

Re: Dr MIRELES

Chimera
Wow, @Tully, this is great! Thank you for finding this longer version and summarizing it. Yes, it definitely makes sense that this interview is what triggered Dr. Morales' arrest the following day. You guys are great.

I'm curious: Was this interview broadcast live?
12