Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Locked 93 messages Options

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

777
Trump and Ann Coulter need to get a room. Remember the "Adios America" witch? SMH. It's still on Amazon books front page!

What is surprising is the manner in which these people are able to spread their hate. So upfront and nonchalant. I kinda hate myself for watching "the apprentice" for so long.

Donald Sterling is blushing somewhere out there.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Mexico-Watcher
I am a "Johnny-come-lately" commentator who benefits greatly from the comments already posted here.  I would like to add my two cents to the discussion of the Donald Trump speech.

First, I listened attentively to the whole speech, live on Fox.  Right after the "Donald's" speech, several Fox   "talking heads" came on and critiqued in greatly summarized form what he had said.  I was not impressed by what I heard and, again, renewed my resolve to distrust TV journalistic "experts" to tell me anything.  Admittedly, I have my own ingrained biases, prejudices, world views, experiences, and blind spots to all phenomena around me.  That said, in comparison to other politicians I've heard, I was favorably impressed by the Donald's speech.

In broad strokes that ignore details, here are my impressions on Donald Trump as a Presidential Candidate:

STYLE — "the Donald" is a unique American persona who can point to concrete accomplishments in business and other fields.  Donald is rather narcissistic and comes across as an aggressively confident businessman who can deliver what he promises.  He proudly flaunts his wealth and accomplishments in ways that are refreshingly honest, self-deprecating, and even humorous.

He explained in refreshingly blunt ways how he sees the United States of America viz a viz China, Russia, Japan, Mexico, etc. He expressed very serious concerns for our Nation's Trillions of dollars debts, illegal immigration issues, trade imbalances, outsourced jobs, educational and military decay, and rotten infrastructure. He lambasted our politicians short sighted and incompetent (even stupid) dealings with foreign nations such as Iran seeking nuclear weapons, and Saudi Arabia skinning us for billions of dollars in military aid. He took a special jab at Obama trading one American traitor (Sgt. Bergdahl) for five Islamic terrorists.  In his speech, he alluded to admiring General George Patton as a military leader we could use in the Pentagon.  To me, this reveals something of his own character.... And, I myself, liked Patton (biases showing).

He excludes a cheerful, almost playful, demeanor when describing some things that are actually profoundly serious.   To people like myself who are tired of suave politicians who tell us "it is not raining" when we are actually getting drenched in a storm.  The Donald seems to abhor political correctness (PC) and, therefore, often shows his disdain for this obfuscating practice. In his speech, he sometimes said "Un-PC" things that he realized the "talking heads" and PC sharks would use against him... at such times, he jokingly covered his tracks with further explanatory remarks.

The Donald, spoke from an outline on his dais.  In delivering his speech he came across extemporaneously but revealing that his positions on things were well thought out in advance.  Obviously, as a true billionaire, the Donald has ample brains, good judgement, and social skills.  He jokingly explained how he thinks he is a "nice guy" by revealing that he is generously charitable for worthy causes.  He further explained that his vast wealth frees him from unseen commitments and encumbrances that most all politicians make in order to get elected. To the little guy (me) he virtually said, "I don't need anyone's money for my campaign to get elected POTUS".  I like that! It is refreshing. When will we ever hear such a thing again?

About Mexico and the "Wall on the Southern Border":
When the Donald made "seemingly" extemporaneous remark, he seemed to realize it was red meat for the PC sharks.  To some people living in the PC world (journalists, academics, liberals, etc) I sense they may have gasped in horror... seeing this faux blunder as a kind of coffin nail.

But, to many ordinary Americans who have suffered direct consequences from illicit drugs from Mexico, from the loss of jobs to Mexico, domestic displacement of jobs (cheap labor), and from crimes ranging from prison and street gang crimes and violence, to drug, people, and sex trafficking, to money laundering scams of all kinds.  With respect toe the "wall" at one point the Donald actually said, "Mexico is not our friend."   I sense that he was directly addressing his remarks to that segment of the  electorate that is  aware of the intra- and international  negative issues with Mexico (e.g. often covered in BB). I completely understand where he was coming from in the same vein many Mexicans hate the USA for its role in their misery.  While I understand that his "Mexico is our enemy" remarks would be seized upon to his discredit, I, myself, appreciated the fact that he did not pander to me (I am Mexican-American, Chicano). Actually, I hope he is challenged, time and again, to explain himself.  IMO, the American electorate might get enlightened as to what goes on South of the Border as to atrocities, systemic corruption, systemic lawlessness, systemic poverty, and the many other problems boiling and roiling in Mexico as we speak.

Finally, I consider Donald Trump a viable candidate who I hope shakes things up things in the GOP for the better.  With my biases and all I'd vote for him.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Nuttz

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

777
 Good one, Nuttz.

But seriously though, there's something very wrong with the way he handled the immigration talking points. I'm sure he has a lot more to say.

What is alarming is the carefree way they voice their opinions these days. One wrote a book with the topic being "the browning of America". The other skipped mayor, governor, senator, and went straight for the big office! Sterling just got caught saying how he truly feels. I mean seriously, who could forget when he was trolling Obama over his birth certificate? I'm not a big Obama supporter, btw.

I'm sure there's a place where the powerful and the billionaires go to discuss their superiority/influence. In private of course. Unless you're a guest, I'm sure you will fall into a category they deem undesirable.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Actually in this context of what he said about Mexicans pairing coulter and trump is spot on.

I did in fact tweet ioan grillo and said "a trump/coulter ticket sounds about right"  he favored the tweet.

that aside, coulter is outrages in a way she doesn't even believe the extent of her bullshit, but she is playing to her radical right group that buy her books.  ok I get that.

but trump is playing to his ego and demeaning a group a people unfairly.  a wall will never, ever work.  I could list the reasons again but people can study the 2000 mile area.  then there is the prohibitive cost, and maintaining and manning 2000 miles.

stupid Donald   you're fired

does anyone realize that we have been at zero gain in number of migrants for some years?
does anyone know that this year it is running less than?  meaning more leaving than migrating.

Yes we should have a serious narrative.  But we have needed that for years.
I favor managing migrants.

the only way that has been successful in doing that is the bracero worker program.
it worked.

Migrants can thereby get drivers license, must buy insurance, buy health insurance, pay taxes give fingerprints etc  that is the best way of grouping the majority of migrants that are hardworking honest people wanting no harm to the US just want better for their families and willing to work any job to do so, from those who intend to involve themselves in criminality.

as for taxes, undocumented migrants pay taxes in big numbers, money that is absorbed and used by the government because undocumented migrants want no interaction with the government for obvious reasons.

back to trump.  he has done a disservice to the republican party, my party of choice, by holding himself up to being an intolerant racist.  which is what the radical liberal left media pounds into people by their rhetoric each day.  we are not.  the majority of us are not.

It is upsetting to me because trump does have some sound positions to speak about. like trade with china, he was stupid to include Mexico however, Mexico is our 2nd greatest importer of US goods at 168B
china is half that.

an example of what china gets in mfg jobs.  take apple.  1.3 million jobs just for the iphone.  and they just announce apple will expand their mfg in china creating double that amount in jobs.

My husband gets pissed when I say this but the US should discourage products of technology to be mfg in china.  I think the reasons are obvious.  heavy duty should be imposed.  I admit I am in the thinking stage because I believe in free trade.  but for technology in a nation that has proven to be untrustworthy it makes sense.

I recall when the US imposed huge tax on case goods (furniture) and that nearly ran us out of business, and why we diversified those products in other countries.

and yes we did go to the pacific rim because mfg was so cheap.  we could not produce product in the US and sell our designs it at a price point to hit the middle market.  at the time we were paying 90% in tax total.  think of that.  federal alone was 70%   (1980) an d this was after paying ridiculously high taxes on our businesses.

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2011/02/historical_top_federal_income.html

tax on tax on tax on tax....we ran and took 500 jobs with us.

this is why small business and big business alike leave and with us the jobs.  taxing more will never work, china are better capitalist than US.  they are now beating us at our game.  we are given so many financial concessions and tax breaks, they simply want the jobs for their people.

so this is long winded, but I have been frustrated about so many things.  I feel that this next presidential election will be a game changer for this amazing country of ours.  Good or bad?  that can't be answered as yet.  stay tuned.

BTW ANN COULTER HAD THIS TO SAY ABOUT TRUMP

On The Federalist Radio Hour today, “Adios America” author Ann Coulter said that Donald Trump is an important addition to the 2016 field because he brings the topic of immigration front and center.

“He may be the only way a question about immigration will ever, ever come up in a presidential debate,” Coulter said.

Coulter said that while Trump will not be the presidential nominee, that he brings the immigration issue front and center to a field that would prefer to avoid it entirely.

“[Donald Trump] will force the issue,” Coulter said. “That’s such a huge part of his opening statement, that’s such a huge part of his campaign – ‘I will bring the jobs back, I will protect the border.’ … The only way they can avoid it is keep him out of the debates.”

“I have to be for him, just for the conversation,” Coulter said.

another trump tidbit

Re: Donald Trump Speech Full Transcript

thanks for posting this TT

Re: Donald Trump Speech Full Transcript

Chava
Donald Trump reportedly paid actors $50 to cheer for him at his 2016 announcement

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/paid-actors-at-donald-trump-announcement-2015-6#ixzz3dc6oVg5q

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

jlopez
I am glad Trump has announced he is running for president.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Kat you certainly brought up some very valid points to ponder about illegal immigrants.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Wow Wow TT that is incredible.Im sure cartels don't like doing business with Americans as they stand up for whats right along with any other 1st world country but their own like the Mayor they are easy to control.Im glad I pulled out of starting a business last year in Baja after all the BS that's increasing there and changed my mind about purchasing a 2nd property there.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

manuel2984ny

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Nuttz

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Ed-Oak

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

ThinkTank

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Mexico-Watcher
manuel2984ny wrote
Trump is a joke, first off all, this clown was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. how many times has he gone bankrupt? If you think this clown has any real chance of winning then I don't know what to tell you. trump has an estimated 1% support, good luck with that.

thankfully this country is slowly but surely becoming less religious and it keeps getting more liberal. gay marriage is becoming more accepted, weed legalization is happening.

Organizations like LaRaza and Mecha weren't created in a vacuum. they were started as a way to help the hispanic community with higher education, legal defense and a general support network. if Mexican -Americans had not been subjected to racism by whites or the government, there wouldn't be a need for organizations like LaRaza.

I am Mexican-American, I'm proud of my heritage, and I am also extremely proud of my country the United States of America. my parents are some of the most hard working people I know, my extended family are the same, friends and neighbors also. so when this goofball trump says things like "Mexico sends Rapists over here" I know he's full of crap.
Manuel: With all due respect, I have a background that seems very close to yours.  I am a bit familiar with MeCha, La RaZa, Brown Berets, La Eme, Chicano Studies, etc., etc.  My wife and I  have huge extended family networks mainly in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, and Utah.  We recently had a family reunion in Las Vegas that included over one hundred kinfolk.

I had short visits with many of the older kin and we recalled old times and just kicked topics around a bit.  I was happily impressed at how grateful they seemed to be at being Americans.  Most decried the street gangs, drugs, and negative influences from Mexico.

While there were sad stories of our kin that resulted in drug addicts, gang bangers, prisoners, and low-life welfare moms, many of our kin were successful in various ways and were raising great kids.  Intermarriage with Anglos was common in this kinship network.

Although I avoided talking religion or politics, these topics turned up here and there.  I got the impression that many in my kinship network hold conservative values while at the same time probably vote Democrat.  Virtually everyone considered Obama a "shuck-n-jive" disaster.  Some with military backgrounds had  strong negative views of Obama.  Almost all thought the mainstream media is total BS that ignores what actually goes on in Latino communities viz a viz  illegal immigrant issues... especially crime, drugs, and jobs.

I, obviously have different personal and world experiences than you, but I have many friends and kin who love America and have risen to higher planes in life because they "applied" themselves in ways open to them.  A good many of these friends and kin also "made it' with the indirect or explicit help of Anglos (or Whites).

While "racism" may have touched us here and there and to various degrees.... this did not seem a big factor in holding anyone back at all.  The basic attitude among my kinfolk seemed  "You work hard, stay decent, do the right things, and play the cards life dealt you as best you can" and America will reward you.  About some of the "losers" in the family, strong hints were made these kin had only themselves to blame for their horrid fates (e.g. welfare moms, drug "addicts", serious prison gang members, and homicide victim by cops).

Finally, from where I touch the proverbial elephant, "America truly IS the Land of Opportunity" for anyone willing to work the ore that holds the gold flakes.  I myself know many Mexican-Americans who loved their free libraries, Anglo teachers, caring Anglo employers, helpful businessmen, caring doctors, social workers, and neighbors.  Yes, their were those hateful Anglos around, but they could be worked around with hard work, intelligence, and goodwill.

BTW: On this note, you might want to examine the history of Asian Americans who really were hated and oppressed and still succeeded to become great contributing Americans in all kinds of fields of endeavor.

Me, I hope Donald Trump gets into the top ten GOP contenders for POTUS so that"honest" debates will occur around illegal immigration, Islam, the soaring National debt, crime and violence, etc.

You see my friend, you call Trump a "joke and a clown".  I disagree.   I strongly believe that Donald Trump is NOT really funny or such a loose canon as he may appear.  Remember, the king's jesters were the only ones allowed to tell him blunt truths.   All politicians just "dance" around the issues of illegal immigration and dare not get into the "muck" of the root causes that cause Americans to gorge on illicit drugs, slave labor, money laundering, jobs exportation to the Third World, etc.  Laugh all you want, call him what you will, I just pray the liberal media and the talking heads continue to try and destroy him while the masses in the electorate get inspired by his realistic business approach to problems, his patriotism, and easy to understand, unambiguous rhetoric in communicating with the electorate.

Obviously, I am biased, and therefore somewhat blind according to others.  That is fine with me.  At least you have given me an opportunity to express my opinions here.  Thank you and Borderland Beat.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

I love the piñata of the hair, but it's too respectful.

'Donald Trump should not promote racism against Mexicans or Latinos in America.'

An artist created Donald Trump piñatas for Mexicans to beat up on

New York

Monday 22 June 2015

Artist Dalton Javier Avalos Ramirez created a piñata of Donald Trump for fellow Mexicans to take their frustrations out on.

Mr “Piñateria” Ramirez told The Independent that he created Mr Trump’s paper-mâché and cardboard look-a-like in one day and was inspired by his controversial presidential campaign announcement speech.

“They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime,” Mr Trump said in at Trump Tower in New York City. “They’re rapists and some, I assume, are good people, but I speak to border guards and they’re telling us what we’re getting.”

The craftsman, from Reynosa in Mexico's Tamaulipas state, said that the piñatas provide an outlet for Mexicans to vent their frustrations at Mr Trump’s controversial portrayal of Mexicans.

"It was a way of expressing disagreement of what he said about us Mexicans," the artist said. "Donald Trump should not promote racism against Mexicans or Latinos in America."

Mr Trump also said that he'd plan on creating a Berlin Wall-type all in America to prevent illegal immigrants from migrating to the US.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/an-artist-created-donald-trump-piatas-for-mexicans-to-beat-up-on-10337361.html

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Too bad this is a big fat lie

that makes Ramirez a jumping on the band wagon and taking credit by fabricating the facts.

I have posted Ramirez piñata art of famous people and have purchased pinatas from him.

His trump has been in his shop for a couple of years

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Siskiyou_Kid
Jajajajajajaja!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you might find the Reynosa connection interesting.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Soliado
ThinkTank wrote
I guess it is to be expected that they would want to beat a US presidential candidate with bats. Really not so funny. For those of you on the journey to finding truth, here is a piece of truth for you.

The fact that they came up with these goofy items, and the fact that some people think it is funny, is a clear illustration of how some people think. if you don't like someone, kill them, or beat them with a bat.

Im losing hope for democracy. The majority of the people are overwhelmingly stupid. Therefore, Democracy will ultimately, and inevitably, lead to our decline and destruction.
Think Tank, I'm going to use your own quote to reflect on what you just said about democracy solely to make a point about democracy. Nothing else should be inferred by my comments.

It is because we live in a democratic society that we, as common people, were given the right to freely express ourselves by the founders of this nation in the Bill of Rights. Prior to the founding of this nation, the original 13 colonies were governed by the British monarchy and King George III. Democracy certainly didn't exist under British rule, neither did the freedom exist to criticize King George III but the Colonists did so anyway. One manner was to burn effigies of King George. During this time period, burning an effigy of of the King could result in an offender being sentenced to death by hanging.

A pinata, which is what you are referring too in your post, is vastly different than an effigy. Not only does Merriam-Webster Dictionary have very different definitions of the words but they represent entirely different things, especially in the Latino culture. According to the dictionary definition of an effigy-it is an image or representation, especially of a person; especially: a crude representation of a hated person.

They define pinata: a container filled with candies, fruit and gifts that is hung at parties or celebrations and hit with a stick by children until it is broken and things inside it fall out.

The reason the proprietor is selling a pinata made out to resemble Trump isn't because of hatred of the man. It's to seize on the marketing opportunity presented. Let's face, he is in the news because of the idiotic comments he made about a number of different cultures and countries. However, within the Latino culture, especially in Latin America, it's pretty hard for the people there to hold hatred for a man that they really don't know, have little to no dealings with, and he does not have any influence upon the average life of a Latino. The real truth of the matter is that we use pinatas during festive occasions. That is about the only time that one is bought whether it is here in the states or in Latin America. We hit it with a stick to break it to let loose the candy, fruit, money, or small toys that are secreted inside of the cavity. It is never struck out of anger, frustration, out of a desire to kill someone or in a demeaning manner. It could be a pinata of a mother in law from hell and still it would only be hit to get at the sweets inside. It is purely meant for fun not because the pinata represents someone disliked.

As for being on a journey to finding truth. I learned this many years ago from an assistant chief that I admired for many reasons. He taught me to looks at issues from a "Global perspective" and to read articles on the same topic from different sources in order to gain varying perspectives. Our world is not black and white, there is a lot of gray out there, especially when it comes to making decisions or looking at things from the point of view through the eyes of others. I don't have your experience and knowledge of issues just as you do not have mine. However, I will always respect your opinions and your right to express it. At the end of the day, we can agree to disagree but that's ok just as long as I heard you and you heard me.