Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Locked 93 messages Options

Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Soliado
On June 16, 2015, Donald Trump announced his candidacy for the Office of President of the United States of America. His announcement and subsequent speech drew wide media coverage throughout Mexico and Latin American countries because of the content of his speech. He stated Mexican bring drugs into our nation and accused Mexican immigrants of being the worst including “rapists and criminals.”  He also promised to build a wall along our southern border and force Mexico to bear the costs for the construction of the wall.

Donald Trump reminds us that he is an incredibly rich man and refers to himself as a successful businessman. I would therefore like to pose the following questions to this successful businessman to garner his knowledge of basic business practices.

Why is it that before Mexican drug cartels were smuggling drugs into the U.S., the Colombian drug cartels, the Italian Cosa Nostra, Chinese Triads and the Southeast Asian countries that form the geographical area known as the “Golden Triangle” were and continue to be involved in the smuggling of illegal narcotics into the U.S.? Could it be because Americans have an insatiable appetite for narcotics and willingly pay for them with cash?

Why is it fairly easy for an undocumented alien to obtain employment in the U.S. when federal law clearly prohibits their hiring by businesses? Could it be so that firms can pay the undocumented alien a lower salary than an American worker who is performing the same job function, and not have to pay them benefits thereby increasing annual profits, which also increases dividends paid to shareholders such as yourself?

What is the minimum wage mandated for the majority of workers by the Mexican Government as of 2015? Depending on the state where the person is working it is equal to $4.55-$4.80 U.S. a day.

I am so glad that you talk with "the border guards." To me this truly illustrates how much of a snob, silver spoon up his ass, combed over raccoon, out of touch candidate that he really is but don't let my opinion sway your vote or whom you ultimately decide to support.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/16/donald-trump-announces-run-president
Rupert Neate for The Guardian

Donald Trump announces US presidential run with eccentric speech
Businessman directs wrath at Mexico, which he accuses of ‘bringing their worst people’ to America, including criminals and ‘rapists’

Donald Trump, the 69-year-old businessman best known for his “You’re fired” catchphrase on The Apprentice, announced he was running for president on Tuesday with an eccentric speech attacking Mexican immigrants and promising to build a great wall along the US’s southern border.
Trump has flirted with the idea of standing for the country’s highest office for decades, but on Tuesday made it official on a stage in the basement of his Trump Tower building in Manhattan, in front of eight American flags.
“Sadly the American dream is dead, but if I get elected president I will bring it back,” he said. “Bigger, better and stronger than ever before.”
Trump took to the stage as speakers bellowed out Neil Young’s 1989 song Rockin’ in the Free World, and went on to attack most of the rest of the world as he blamed Barack Obama for letting the country collapse to the level of “a third world country”.

Most of his wrath was directed at Mexico, which he accused of “bringing their worst people” to America, including criminals and “rapists”.
“They’re sending us not the right people,” he said, adding: “The US has become a dumping ground for everyone else’s problems.
“They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing their problems,” he said. “They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some I assume are good people but I speak to border guards and they tell us what we are getting.”
He promised that as President Trump, one of his first actions would be to build a “great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall”.
Trump said that Obama, and previous administrations, had allowed Mexico, China and other countries to take American jobs and prosperity. “China has our jobs, Mexico has our jobs,” he said.
“Our enemies are getting stronger and stronger by the day, and the US as a country is getting weaker and weaker. How stupid are our leaders, how stupid are our politicians to let this happen? Our president doesn’t have a clue.”
Trump said the Chinese leadership was much smarter than Obama and his team. “It’s like the New England Patriots and Tom Brady [playing] a high school team.”
He added: “Politicians are all talk and no action. They will not bring us, believe me, to the promised land.”

Also at the top of his to-do list as president would be scrapping Obamacare, the current president’s signature healthcare legislation, and drastically cutting spending on education. He described Obamacare as a “disaster” and “a big lie”.
“Obamacare is going to be amazingly destructive,” he told the crowd beside a banner reading TRUMP: MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Trump said he would replace Obamacare with a new system that would be “much better and much less expensive”.
He also called for a radical reduction on education spending, saying “people are tired of spending more money on education per capita than any other country”.
He accused Republican rival Jeb Bush of being weak on education, saying: “How the hell can you vote for this guy?”
Trump also pledged that “nobody will be tougher on Isis than Donald Trump”, and that he would be “the greatest jobs president that God ever made”.
He told the crowd not to believe government statistics showing unemployment had fallen to 5.4%. “Our real unemployment is 18-20%, don’t believe their 5.6% [in fact the official figure is 5.4%]. China has our jobs, Mexico has our jobs. I’ll bring back our jobs and bring back our money.”
Trump, who has long flirted with the idea of standing for president, said he knew that standing for office would be a “tough” job but somebody had to stand up to stop the country “dying”. “We’re dying, we’re dying,” he said. “We need money, and we need the right people.”
As required by campaign finance law, Trump revealed his net worth before a crowd holding what looked like homemade Trump for president banners which were actually handed out by Trump campaign staff. “I don’t need anyone else’s money, I’m really rich,”he said. “I have total net worth of $8.73bn. I’m not doing that to brag. I’m doing that to show that’s the kind of thinking or country needs.”

'I'm really rich': Donald Trump claims $9bn fortune during campaign launch
Trump enters an increasingly crowded presidential race, punctuated by such big names as former Florida governor Bush, who is the son and brother of two former US presidents, and former secretary of state Hillary Clinton.
Based on guidelines recently announced by the television networks, Trump could play a prominent role in the upcoming nationally televised Republican debate in August.
Those who rank in the top 10 in national polls – and Trump currently does, although he’s close to the bottom – will earn a place on the debate stage. That could place Trump in a debate alongside some leading candidates.
“Selfishly, the networks would put me on because I get great ratings,” Trump said in a recent interview with the Associated Press.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Nuttz

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

ThinkTank

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Siskiyou_Kid

Latest Republican candidate a ‘silly man’ who apparently wants to ensure a Republican never enters the White House again.

 Donald Trump's tirade on Mexico's 'drugs and rapists' outrages US Latinos

    Mexico is ‘bringing drugs, crime and rapists’ to US, Trump said in speech
    Latest Republican candidate a ‘silly man’, says national council of La Raza

Donald Trump also claims he would build a ‘great, great wall’ on the Mexican-American border to prevent the country from not sending the ‘right people’ across.

Donald Trump has been labelled an “extremely silly man” by America’s largest Latino civil rights organization after claiming that Mexico is sending “rapists” to the US.

While Republicans such as Jeb Bush are going out of their way to attract the increasingly important Hispanic vote in 2016 – Bush delivered some of his launch speech in Spanish – Trump appeared to be heading in a different direction with his campaign launch on Tuesday.

“[Mexico] are sending people that have lots of problems, and they are bringing those problems to us. They are bringing drugs, and bringing crime, and their rapists,” the business mogul said.
Ecstatic internet gleefully quips about Donald Trump's presidential speech
Read more

Such claims were “absurd”, said Lisa Navarrete, a spokeswoman for the National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization.

“This is a man who has a pathological need for attention,” said Navarrete. “I look at him as a two-year-old who will say a naughty word to get their parents’ attention. That’s what he’s doing.”

Trump has toyed with running for president since the 1980s. He has said he was considering a bid during almost every election cycle since 2000. Tuesday’s event at Trump Tower represents the first time he has fully outlined his policies and political beliefs.

He aimed specific ire at Mexico, claiming he would build a “great, great wall” on the Mexican-American border, and accusing the country of sending “not the right people” to the US.

“The US has become a dumping ground for everyone else’s problems,” he said.

Navarrete said the claim that Mexicans seeking work in America were rapists was “offensive”.

“This is an exceedingly silly man, who has no idea what he’s talking about,” she said.

Navarrete said although Trump’s statements had “no basis in fact”, they fitted in with a perception of the party he sought to represent.

“Part of the reason why Latinos are so alienated from the Republican party these days is there’s a sense that there are people who actually believe [what Trump said],” she said.

“I’m hoping that the saner, more rational people in the Republican party can put a stop to this kind of thing, and say: ‘No, we’re going to be constructive, we’re not going to needlessly and consciously alienate the fastest-growing group of voters in this country.”

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/16/donald-trump-mexico-presidential-speech-latino-hispanic

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

ThinkTank

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Siskiyou_Kid
You do realize that La Raza helps low income Americans of ALL RACES and ETHNIC BACKGROUNDS, and that their stated goal is to help LOW INCOME AMERICANS?

Donald Trump is a MAN CHILD.

Anyway, this is a silly conversation, because Donald Trump is a total turdlet, punking MY Republican Party for his own promotion and self interest. The man is without scruples or a conscience. He would pimp out his own mother for a buck.

I find Trumps current claims to a $9 billion fortune fantastical, considering his multiple bankruptcy cases, but either way the man is without a moral compass. This charge could be leveled against many candidates, including Hillary, but he trumps them all.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Soliado
Nutzz, I agree with what he says about the problems we have with jobs going to foreign countries, and our national debt, especially when China is one of the biggest lien holders. Ford Motor Company is just one example that I know of personally. They have shuttered a number of plants in the U.S. displacing how many thousands of American workers? Yet, in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico they recently built an entire new auto manufacturing plant and hired workers from Mexico to assemble the cars. Those cars are then shipped by rail to the U.S. for sale in dealerships across the country.

Do you really think Ford pays their Mexican assemblers a wage comparable to what U.S. workers received? How about the final sales price, does Ford pass on the savings to the American consumer in the sales price? It seems ironic that they shutter plants in the U.S. and then turn around and build a new assembly plant in Mexico doesn't it? Who reaps the savings? The large shareholders of Ford stock most likely.

I also recently read about what the Disney Company did to its information technology employees working in its Disneyworld facility. The company notified 250 IT employees they were being laid off due to a restructuring of the division. The employees that were being laid off were then forced to train their replacements, workers from India brought to the United States on H-1B Visas. These are Visas designed to fill specialized jobs for which there is a shortage of trained American workers. Disney however, figured out a way to save money by hiring foreign workers at a lower salary and not paying them benefits. Once again, the savings Disney realizes, did they pass on their savings to consumers by lowering the cost of admission to their amusements parks? Of course not but large shareholders probably realized a larger gain in the stock portfolio. Who makes these types of decisions? Could it be CEO's like Donald Trump?
http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2015/06/03/250-walt-disney-world-tech-employees-replaced-by-contract-workers-brought-in-from-o

However, when Trump gets on his high horse and blames Mexico for sending drugs into the U.S. I take exception. Why? Think about which country truly bears the brunt of the blame? Before drugs were coming in through Mexico which country was sending large quantities of cocaine into the U.S.? Colombia and what happened in Colombia as a result of the cartels operating there? How many thousands of Colombian citizens died because of the cartel wars resulting from the government's war against the cartels? Now we are seeing the same in Mexico.

Think about it, if a business is selling a commodity that consumers are not buying that business either changes the products they produce or they close shop. Why have so many different criminal organizations been involved in the smuggling of narcotics into the U.S. over the years? Because Americans have an insatiable demand for drugs. When Trump says that Mexico is sending drugs into the U.S. he is doing something that we, as Americans, are notorious the world over. He is blaming Mexico for the drug problem in the U.S. when in fact the drug cartels and violence occurring in Mexico exists because Americans have a severe addiction to narcotics. Would the drug cartels exist in Mexico if they didn't have such a plethora of customers with an abundance of cash as their northern neighbor?  We lay blame for our problems on others when in fact this is a problem that exists in Mexico because of U.S. This is what I disagree with what he said yesterday. He placed the blame for America's addiction to narcotics on Mexico when in fact it our problem that we exported to other nations.

I worked undercover narcotics for years. The people that I dealt with spanned the gamut from the housewife with a severe cocaine addiction to the M.D. writing prescriptions for patients that didn't exist just to feed his addiction. I saw it all, especially the greed that drove supposedly honest business people to jump at the opportunity to make a fast dollar getting involved in drug trafficking. The majority of the people that I bought from and sold drugs to were Americans.

If you study the history of immigration in this country, you will see that we have had a Jekyll and Hyde approach. For example, during World War II, the U.S. welcomed laborers from Latin American countries to offset the thousands of men fighting the war and women in the factories. They recruited people from other countries to come work the farms and to fill other positions that were vacant. Once World War II ended and our soldiers returned to the states they began looking for work or took advantage of the generous G.I. Bill benefits to further their education.

In order to ensure that our veterans were able to find employment, both President Harry S. Truman and Dwight D. Eisenhower violated the Constitution of this nation. They both ordered the removal of the immigrants that this nation had recruited during World War II to fill the jobs that could not be filled because of a shortage of manpower. As a result, thousands of American born Latinos were deported to Mexico without due process. They were deported to Mexico despite the fact that they told Border Patrol Agents that were U.S. Citizens and had never been to Mexico, or they did not know anybody in Mexico. This did not stop the unlawful deportation of U.S. Citizens all to ensure that returning soldiers had an opportunity to obtain a job.

Prior to President Reagan signing what is often referred to as the "Amnesty Act" in 1986, there were approximately 3 million undocumented aliens in this country. After the passage of this act, the number of undocumented aliens swelled to over 11 million. Why do you think it more than tripled in the years that followed? Part of the problem was because this act failed to provide an avenue for legal immigration for many people.  However, I believe that Latinos saw what had happened with the passage of the act and knew that the U.S. would have to enact something similar once again so many more entered the country with the hope that they too would benefit from new immigration legislation. I believe this because of the number of times that I have been asked over the years when this nation is going to pass another similar piece of legislation.

Nuttz, I don't think that you and I are that far apart in what we believe in. I just disagreed with what Trump did yesterday in blaming other countries for our problems, and issues that we created. These are problems of our own doing that we have to resolve and stop blaming other nations. As Americans, we want jobs that pay great salaries, have tremendous benefits, and from which we can retire from in 25-30 years. We want the best gadgets but don't want to pay very much for them. We all rally together should our nation suffer a horrific terrorist attack such as 9/11 but after 3 or 4 years of our soldiers fighting a war in a foreign land we demand that our President bring our troops home. We complain because of the extra security measures at airports designed to prevent terrorist attacks because we want to arrive 30 minutes before our flights and nothing better delay our boarding the aircraft. We demand that our police officers be 100 percent correct when they make life and death decisions but certain segments in our society teaches their children that it is appropriate to run away from an officer or not cooperate whenever an officer approaches them. Our politicians make numerous promises but as citizens we fail to ask them hard questions demanding to know the details of their plans to implement all that they promise.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Chimera
I agree! Good post.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

dave
I thought you may be interested that Neil Young has indicated his displeasure at the use of his song by Trump at Trumps announcement. He has the rights to all his songs and is very anti-corporate. Remember how he slammed Michael Jackson for selling his music? Remember "This Note's For You" (anti coca cola)
      What kind of team does Trump have working for him that don't have the forethought to check the licensing of music used in such an important event?  I can see some US dollars coming Neil Young's way!

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

katattx
I think most of us who aren't Trump fans, had a big problem with his overt racism towards Mexicans and his paternalistic attitudes. Racism is a poison that taints everything he says. It's hard for me to take him seriously when his basic understanding of human nature is totally warped. The lazy, addicted loser Mexicans are not in the USA. The ones we have here risked everything to come have a chance at making a living, and working harder than anything Trump could  imagine.

As for the rest of his ideas, I don't really have any thoughts. The racism ruined him.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

katattx
Secret weapons? You do realize that the USA took/purchased/coerced Mexico out of a whole lotta territory. And some of Mexican heritage don't think that was right. So what? I've never heard of La Raza gunning down a church full of white people. Or shooting up a school, or anything actually. Raza rallies? "take back their land?" Who freakin cares!!!  They can have whatever political views they want. Texas has much bigger problems to worry about.

As for being selective about who we let in....we already are. That's why so many choose to risk their lives to come here illegally. We need a more streamlined process to let in workers who don't have criminal backgrounds, and stop those that do. But really Texas has plenty of homegrown criminals. Most are citizens, and I see no end of supply in sight for homegrown criminals. THOSE are the rapists, addicts, pervs, molesting thieving losers that we need to worry about. If you think a bout this rationally, garden variety criminals are not going to risk life and limb to come to the USA, where police have the best in technology to catch criminals, AND where police usually take their job seriously. If I was your avg thug, I would speculate that its much easier to get away with crime in Mexico, than it is here in the USA. So why put my a**on the line to cross, when I have much less chance of getting caught in Mexico, doing the same crime? Most (not all) illegal immigrants are desperate to work, they work hard in dirty, stressful, dangerous, jobs. They work 7 days a week doing jobs most of us couldn't do for even one day!! Idk who grew up on a farm, but I did. And I'll die happy if I never spend one more day of my life picking corn, peaches or grapes!! I say let immigrants have those jobs! I still want my fresh fruit and veggies tho. I'm betting that illegal immigrants have a lower than average crime rate compared to native citizens. So we would be better off focusing crime prevention else where.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Nuttz

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

katattx
Idk much about what Mexico might allow tbh. I think their are enclaves of Anglos  groups living there. I thought La Raza was a movement of Mexican Americans, in the USA, rather than anything affiliated with an official government.

You do have a good point about a person of wealth being less easily influenced. I can't help but think that a person of wealth is/was greatly influenced by whatever made him the money! Again, I have zero person experience with wealth, so I don't know.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

He has business dealings in Mexico don't know if 1 was Rosirito Beach.Cant remember all the details but some Americans invested in some private condos for themselves and he was developer who was well known and people trusted him.Now they are supposedly sueing him for their money down or something to that effect.{he took their deposits and didn't build].Sounds like a real estate scammer.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

ThinkTank

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Valhalla
Mexican immigrants in US are rapists.
Mexican industrial workers are rateros.

Me thinks Master Negotiator is not serious about becoming president,
just swingin his dic. sorry, wig around.

51% of Mexican imports are from USA according to Trading Economics.

As for cars and trucks, my Mex bought vehicles are:
USA 2
Canada 1
Brasil 1
India 1

Volvos Chinese owners are building a plant in US like most big brands already have done.

He really should have used Apple as an example how corporations screw American workers and tax payers, not Ford.
All Wars Are Bankster Wars.

Re: Donald Trump Speech Rankles Latin America

Grillo just put up this post on global post

http://www.globalpost.com/article/6586988/2015/06/18/mexico-donald-trump

Donald Trump Speech Full Transcript

ThinkTank