Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Chava

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Chava
Translation: (google with some clean up)

Murdered in Acapulco cinematographer who worked for Discovery Channel film 'Roma'
Erick Castillo Sanchez was on vacation with his wife when he was killed by four men who apparently tried to steal the vehicle. The audiovisual world mourns his loss, while continuing to open the investigation into his death.

Mexican Erick Castillo Sanchez , director of photography for Discovery Channel Latin America, was killed Wednesday after being shot in the head , allegedly resisting the theft of his car in Acapulco, Guerrero, officials of that state.

After completing a project for Discovery Channel, the photographer 46, a native of Chiapas , was vacationing with his wife, also a photographer, Stephanie Carpio, and stood in front of a store located in Playa Bonfil to do some shopping.

Stephanie Carpio told investigators that when they left the car to go to the store, four men approached them and ordered her aside. Hearing the shot she ran to seek refuge until moments later realized that her husband was dead. She could not see which way the murderers fled.

According to the statement of the Prosecutor of Guerrero, subjects got out of an SUV, and after exchanging a few words with the victim, he was shot in the head, which at the moment seems to have been an attempt to steal his vehicle.

Erick Castillo Sanchez worked in ' Roma' the award- winning film by Mexican filmmaker Alfonso Cuaron .

He was director of film photography, advertising and documentaries and worked with Discovery Channel and Nat Geo. He was also a director and founding partner of the production company Cronos Pictures SA, and chairman of Calaca Films, a company dedicated to producing content for television.

He had more than 20 years of industry experience and was a highly regarded professional in his field .

"To all who work with light, a moment of" darkness "on the set by our colleague Erick Castillo Sanchez, killed on September 11 in Acapulco" he wrote in a tweet of the Mexican Society of Cinematographers (AMC ).

"On 11 October at 11 am all the cameras will go down and let the light for a minute in memory of Erick and to protest the violence that exists in our country," wrote the AMC.

For its part, the team of Discovery Networks Latin America also announced the news and gave condolences to the family.

"The team at Discovery Networks Latin America, deplores the regrettable death of our friend and collaborator Erick Castillo Sanchez. We respectfully join you in the pain that overwhelms your family and loved ones, "they wrote on Twitter.

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

ElS1
This post was updated on .
  Was this a random robbery or are they targeting movie industies now?
  One news says robbery gone bad, then carjacking, then attempted kidnapping...

Mexico is going to have to get seriously tough.  The country's reputation is near totally ruined.   No one, that has a choice, will want to go there.   No one with a business will want to stay there.
 AMLO is saying "let's be friends",  while the bad people use horror to negociate.

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Parro

The director of photography for Discovery Channel in Latin America was shot and killed in Acapulco, Guerrero, on Wednesday night.

According to police, the attack occurred at about 9:00pm after Erick Castillo Sánchez and his wife, Estefanía Carpio Ávila, arrived in their car at an Oxxo convenience store in the Zona Diamante district of the Pacific coast resort city.

When Castillo and Carpio walked out of the store, four men got out of a gray Ford pickup in the Oxxo parking lot and told the couple to get into their car.

“We’re not going to do anything to you,” the men reportedly said.

Carpio ran but Castillo was unable to escape and was shot in the head.

The Guerrero Attorney General’s Office said in a statement that the motive of the aggressors was to steal Castillo’s vehicle.

However, the press defense organization Periodistas Desplazados México (Displaced Journalists Mexico) asserted that the murder was a targeted attack rather than an unintended consequence of an attempted robbery.

Organization president Gildo Garza said in an interview that the fact that the aggressors didn’t steal anything and didn’t pursue Carpio supported that opinion.

“. . . They shot him in the temple but they didn’t take anything from him. Apart from that . . . his wife managed to flee, they didn’t chase her. They were going after him, there’s no other explanation,” he said.

The Mexican Association of Displaced and Attacked Journalists (AMPDA) also asserted that the attack on Castillo wasn’t part of an attempted robbery. The association demanded that all three levels of government carry out a joint investigation that is “corroborated and analyzed by the surviving victim, Estefanía Carpio Avila.”

Her evidence, AMPDA said in a statement, is crucial to determining if the homicide was part of a robbery or a premeditated attack.

The death of the 46-year-old cinematographer, who was on vacation with his wife after completing a Discovery Channel project, triggered an outpouring of emotion on social media.

The Mexican Association of Cinematography, Discovery Channel Latin America and the Mexican Institute of Cinematography (Imcine) were among the many organizations and individuals to mourn the passing of Castillo, who was originally from Chiapas but lived in Mexico City.

“. . . We lament the death of Erick Castillo, Discovery Channel photographer, collaborator on the film Roma and a distinguished member of our community. We share the pain of his family and friends. We join the call for justice,” Imcine wrote on Twitter.

(Sorry Chava, lot of repetitive language, wish we could keep to Guerrero thread for the events in Acapulco which is important to you!  Was it the Independents in your opinion??? Oxxo's are becoming deadly, especially up north)

Source: El Universal (sp), Milenio (sp), Noticieros Televisa (sp)

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Chava
At this point, they don't know. They are all spewing different "ideas."

Parro, don't worry though, "our" buddy Jorge Zuriel de los Santos Barrila is on it

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Thanks for the translate Chava and Parro good idea your suggestion that this post could have gone into the Guerrero post you started.We sometimes forget about that especially if the post has been dormant for awhile.Also the 2 posts on the extrajudicial killings in Tampaulipas appears to be a double post so 1 should have been posted under the other heading as they were different articles.

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Chava
I thought about that - not so much about it being dormant --- but the fact that this made nationwide news and most of the stuff in the Guerrero post - no one cares about mostly

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Parro
Thank you Canadiana.  We keep getting posts without knowing the history on our topics.  It's confusing with people posting new topics instead of adding an existing post where that history is relevant.

Oh well, I'll bring the Guerrero post alive again soon.  Whether the Discovery photographer, the murder of murderers in Chilpancingo, etc.  those could of both gone under Guerrero post.  Chava, we are very interested in Guerrero, especially Acapulco and your safety. Our friend,has your back.

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Chava
There has been an arrest.

Will post follow up soon.

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Chava
https://novedadesaca.mx/detienen-probable-asesino-fotografo-bonfil/

Google translate, no clean up.

ACAPULCO.- The Prosecutor General of the State of Guerrero since September 11 of this year, when we learned of the criminal news of the murder of Erik Alejandro "N", we focus on the investigation of the crime of murder by weapon of fire.

Unlawfully committed in the parking lot of a convenience store located in the town Alfredo V. Bonfil on the road to Barra Vieja de Acapulco, the experts and ministerial agents carried out the corresponding procedures and immediately implemented a search operation for those responsible for This crime

As you will remember, the State Attorney General's Office, through a bulletin, informed that according to the mechanics of the events, the probable perpetrators tried to steal the vehicle in which the victim was traveling with his partner.

As I mentioned, after the criminal act, a permanent search operation was implemented by ministerial police and through field work and intelligence they defined the strategy that allowed the location of Miguel Ángel “N”, in Las Torres neighborhood, in The city of Chilpancingo.

The arrest occurred, after the probable person in charge had a confrontation with ministerial elements of this Prosecutor's Office, without any element being injured, managing to secure him a Chevrolet brand truck, white color, silverado pick-up type, 2014 model, which has robbery report, a long-range assault rifle firearm known as AR-15, .223 caliber, 10 scuttles of the same caliber, and corresponding to the firearm that was secured to the accused; also secured three kilograms of green grass with the characteristics of marijuana, 20 bags of transparent plastic containing green grass with the characteristics of marijuana.

The detainee was placed at the disposal of the corresponding public prosecutor, together with the long firearm secured at the time of his arrest, and when conducting forensic ballistics surveys it was determined that the ballistic element (cap) found at the scene of the events where He was deprived of life Erick Alejandro "N", was struck by the same firearm that was secured to Michelangelo "N".

It is important to note that the physiognomic characteristics of the detainee present similarity and total correspondence with the person who deprived Erick Alejandro “N” of life according to the test data in the corresponding investigation folder.

It is noteworthy that the likely responsible, named Miguel Angel "N" and other people, are related in at least five investigation folders, all for the crime of theft of a vehicle with violence and in the same area of ​​operation of Acapulco , having all the same modus operandi and that were made recently before the homicide under investigation.

Based on the foregoing, this institution will continue to timely monitor the investigation to locate, detain and dismantle the other members of this criminal gang, in order to bring them before the corresponding judicial instance, and who are likely responsible for this unfortunate In fact, it is dedicated to the crime of vehicle theft in this area of ​​the city.

The State Attorney General's Office maintains the firm intention of continuing to work in the field of justice, to continue offering results with the arrest of persons related to the commission of a crime and bring them before the corresponding instances, respecting at all times their human rights .

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Patole
So the perps shot him in the temple according to the other report.  Yet, according to this news they did so with an ar-15 chambered in .233 at close range.  Seems fishy.  Sounds more like a handgun kind of assault.  Considering the high profile nature of this case, they probably just pinned it on this guy to take the heat off.

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Parro
Patole, Chava:

Erik Adegandro "N" is executed   The story jumps from Guerrero to Quinta Roo.

The location of the crime and the incident of previous history is to be known.  Could you please elaborate?

Many thanks!

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Patole
Based on the two reports presented here, the victim was assaulted and shot in the temple at the oxxo in Acapulco in an attempted carjacking.  The suspect miguelangelo was later apprehended in Chilpancingo and found in possession of an ar15 with casings that forensically matched those at the scene.

I have a hard time believing that you can get a clean temple shot with a long gun unless the victim was significantly restrained.  Not impossible, of course, and the first report does mention multiple perps, but odd for a carjacking.  Seems more like a handgun style crime.  Kinda seems like they are looking for a quick catch to take the press heat off or protect the real assailant.  Just my conspiracy theory mind at work, but surely not too much of a stretch considering the Mexican justice system and the Acapulcan atmosphere.  Sorry, I don't catch the Quintana Roo reference.

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Chava
I too don't see anything about Quintana Roo.

As to the person arrested - I always have doubts with this guy, as you know, Parro - he's the one who assured us that the father/son duo were responsible for a killing and tried to sell a vehicle up the coast, and video surveillance from their own house showed that they were in a different location - they were released after a month, or more, my memory fades......

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Parro
Chava, Quintana Roo was in reference to Alfredo V. Bonfil Rd. which is in a community, Benito Juarez, a suburb of Cancun.  It was me that was confused.

Acapulco - the attorney general, Jorge Zuriel de los Santos Barrila , great friend of Ricardo, son of Astudillo, governor of Guerrero, appointed as attorney general.  Immediately moved to millionaire home after appointment, with adjacent properties purchased for his security guard.  Then former mayor (Evodio Valazaquez Aguirre and his driver )carrying with weapons on the run, etc. for corruption charges.

The memory is of Cesar Zambrano Perez, a successful businessman from Acapulco, who was supposedly killed in Progreso, and vehicle found in Zihautanejo on October 26,2018.  His white Nissan Tsuru stolen on the date of his killing.  The father/son scapegoats (Juan Alejandro Tapia and later, his son Rodrigo Tapia), accused, even though video proved this was not true.  Jorge, had them locked up.  Their release, a mother's strength. Jorge called to MDX to report on Cesar Zambano.  Another show of intense deliberation, to move the focus.

Now we come to the person arrested of Discovery Channel photographer.  Could you elaborate on the connection please?

Thanks Chava.

Re: Discovery Channel Photographer Shot in Acapulco Bonfil

Patole
Interesting Parro.  I had no idea of this history and its relation to this event.  I just had trouble believing the murder weapon and the forensic link to the casings found on the scene.  Your account of those previous events only furthers my doubts that they actually apprehended the perps.  Trust your gut, not the media, I guess.  Thanks for sharing that info.

Sorry for the confusion Parro - the only connection is "our friend" --- thus me being not so confident that this arrest will mean anything, other than "look how fast we arrested someone............."